Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm planning my next big ride. What do you all like to eat while riding? So far I'm working with
- PB&J / PB&Honey
- Rice crispy treats
- Dry pancakes
- home made rice cakes
- gummy bears
- chocolate covered espresso beans
- just ordered some stroopwafels
- burnt out on Clif blocs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ya I'm talking 12+ hours here. Think imperial century or >> greater

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bicievino posted:

boiled red potatoes with an insane amount of salt on them.
Are we talking whole or cubed?
:hmmyes: to everything else

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

If you don't ride in the wee hours of the morning its harder to justify being three beers in by 11am.
This resonates strongly with me

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Shadowhand00 posted:

On-bike nutrition is always bottled or liquid though until around 14 hours in.
I've had ok success with Perpetuem but once it's like warm :barf:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

numberoneposter posted:

just lol if you havnt eaten a cold mcdouble in the pitch black with ice cold January road water from your front tire spraying directly at your face
Mcds is absolutely my go-to need some ride food fast

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

nm posted:

Any 1/2 finger unpadded glove recs?
I have some Giros and the durability hasn't been amazing and the fabric rubs weird.
I really like the Specialized Grail gloves. Padding in the palm instead of the heel/joints so it spreads out the pressure instead of concentrating it where it already is greatest.

e: oh you said unpadded. These have minimal padding buy not completely unpadded.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

I once rode my bike on a ferry that is technically classified as a part of California State Route 22. So maybe it doesn't actually count as a boat?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

EvilJoven posted:

Sometimes the combination of chainstay length and chainline means a trim position is essentially vestigial. Seen it a few times where one of the trim positions of a perfectly set up drivetrain has little to no real effect. You should still see some movement in the mech though, even if it isn't needed.

This is my drive train right now. 48/32 front and 11-34 rear, front FD shifts perfectly without chain rub, no trim required even in big/big and small/small. I know it can't last forever so I'm making an effort to notice and enjoy it while it lasts.

I'm considering dropping to 46/32 front and 11-36 rear to enable some more loaded touring/bikepacking type stuff. I'm too scared to spin out at 48/11 any more so it doesn't feel like I'd be giving up anything on the top end. Haven't decided if I'd hate having a little wider spacing in the middle of the cassette. You can still get 11 speed 110 BCD 46t chainrings right?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Benson Cunningham posted:

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/century-6c-carbon-d42

Anyone know if something comparable to this is in stock anywhere? Its the right price point for me and I haven't seen much else that's full carbon with ultegra parts and hydraulic disc brakes for a similar price. Looking for my beginner to amateur upgrade basically.
Not that it helps you when they are out of stock but if you're looking at Diamondbacks, the corporate discount brings that bike down to $2,750.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

becoming posted:

I didn't know that this was a thing. I'm sure my smaller company has nothing set up with Diamondback, but what a cool feature for those that do. I picked up a Diamondback Insight STI-8 a few years back on deep clearance from REI and it's been a fun knockaround bike/way to learn the Nexus IGH. I like that bike a lot.
When I bought my diamondback 2 years ago it was easy to find a corporate code online and signup as a new corporate account. No actual corporate affiliation needed! Raleigh is owned by the same parent company so the corporate discount applies there too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Whoever invented the little tab inside the rear derailleur cage is a real rear end in a top hat.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sanity check, my 1.5" tapered fork uses a 1-1/8" stem right?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

Probably, but there are some 1.25" steerers out there.
Thanks. Just remembered that I had measured previously to buy a new stem clamp expander bolt, yep 1-1/8".

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I bought a non-functioning Shimano LH shifter and was able to get it to work by blasting all up in the internals with wd-40 and working it back and forth for a couple of minutes. Apparently the Shimano grease is known to gum up under certain conditions. Don't know if that's your problem but worth a shot if it's otherwise bricked.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I went on a big ride yesterday, haven't got the motivation for a trip report yet, but today I'm especially sore only in my quads and calfs. Nothing in the glutes, hamstrings or hip flexors. I assume this is because I have terrible pedalling habits. I got into biking using flat pedals and became a masher. Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

My problem is that when I do pull through the bottom of the pedal stroke and up, it puts a lot more pressure on my sit bones (seems obvious). Over long rides, eventually all of my contact points get over the threshold into the painful category to some degree. Adding the pull seems like it will more than double the cumulative load on my sit bones. I thinking about this right? Any way around this? I feel like my fit is pretty good since I'm not sore in my back or neck after 17 hours in the saddle.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cool thanks everyone. Maybe I'm not as bad off as I thought. Typical training ride I'm round 90 rpm. 80-85 rpm is probably closer to my natural not-thinking-about-it cadence when I'm fresh. And the longer the ride, the slower my cadence gets.

The power meters report pedal smoothness at ~20% and torque effectiveness around 65-70%. These seem average? I guess what got me thinking was that I rarely if ever feel like I'm using my hamstrings at all. I'll try the scrap the poo poo off method. I do also have a fixie which I rarely ride, maybe a good excuse to pull it out more often.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Trip report:

I've always been interested in pushing my boundaries and getting further and further into type 2 fun. This ride would include several new personal bests: longest ride, longest stretch without services, most elevation gain. I'm in the best biking shape of my life and fresh off my successful 300k 6-bridges ride where I still had gas left in the tank at the end, so I'm feeling pretty confident.

I spent many hours developing this route remotely and even made an attempt last year but bailed pretty early on when my confidence evaporated while riding through the middle of the night. The route is 375 miles (600km) / 12,000' gain starting from my front door and ending at the Bakersfield Amtrak station. It includes a stretch of over 100 miles between services in central California and another 68 mile remote stretch through the Carrizo Valley. I wanted to complete it in 40 hours so I mapped out the distances and timed my start so I'd hit the few available stores during their open hours. There's a motel at mile 280 which I had planned on snagging a shower, a change of clothes, and 2-3 hours of sleep before getting back on the road and finishing the last 100. I wanted to try to do it during the summer to take advantage of more daylight hours and this week was perfect because a cool front happened to blow through. It was also close to a full moon so the night riding wouldn't be quite so night like.

I had to pack pretty heavy to ensure I had enough food and water to get through the long stretches plus the extra kit and a clean set of clothes for the 5 hour train ride home. I had a large battery to keep my phone, computer, and bluetooth headphones charged. All-in the bike weighted 42.5 lbs with 3 out of 5 bottles full of water.

I brought around 7,500 calories:

The newest addition to the pantry was browned butter rice crispy treats with flaky salt on top. Very good. Leftover pancakes.. not very good. Should have put bananas in them or something.

I did a dumb thing and changed up the bike setup shortly before the ride. I discovered my old aero bars while cleaning the garage and put them on and really liked the way they felt riding up and down the street. The arm cups are much better than the newer set I had been using. I also got a new set of bars which were 20mm wider. These were great and allowed me to use the tops outside of the aero bar armrests. Also the wider bar gave me more room for my hands which otherwise would rub on the handlebar bag. I compensated for the wider bars by shortening the stem by 10mm.

I rolled out at 8pm feeling nervous but pretty confident. Music selection: Eve 6. I was hoping to get through the East Bay, down Niles Canyon, through San Jose, Gilroy and Hollister and out of civilization by 5:30 to beat the morning commuter rush.

I like riding at night through cities, it's like the whole street is my playground. The first 6 hours or so were great aside from the stiff head wind. I was feeling strong but trying to stay mindful not to overexert so early in the ride. I had a printed schedule which I was checking periodically to make sure I stayed on track time-wise. It was an unusually cloudy evening so no moon but the street lights of San Jose were plenty. The next few hours riding through the countryside in the dark between Morgan Hill, Gilroy, and Hollister were kind of low points.

I had developed a sharp pain in my outer right quad near the knee attachment point. In hindsight I wonder if it was from a slightly different pedaling position due to the new cockpit or more likely the aerobars which I used maybe 20% of the time. I took some vitamin i and kept going hoping it would magically go away. I stopped for a 16 oz coke and two hash browns in Gilroy at the only place I could find that was open at 3:00 in the morning.

Once the sun started to come up around Paicines mile 120ish, it was a huge morale boost. My knee did magically did stop hurting and the weather was perfect. 60F, cloudy and mostly calm.

At some point one of my water bottles spontaneously self-ejected. Not sure exactly when it happened but I wasn't too worried since the weather was plenty cool and I wasn't overheating at all. I do think that I probably wasn't drinking enough water although I was definitely eating at max capacity.

Eventually the clouds burned off and I got onto Peach Tree Rd around mile 160. It was hot and my stomach was hurting. I didn't want to stop to put on sunscreen but I did anyway. I tried to increase my water consumption figuring that I was probably dehydrating and starting to sweat more which was pulling water away from my digestive system and stopping everything up. I pressed on, eating when I could. The road was in decent shape and the climb wasn't too steep.

My mood was pretty good aside from the stomach pain and the building discomfort in my sit bones and hands. There was one last oomph over the crest of the ridge and on the otherside I was hoping for a nice 25 mile descent into San Miguel where I could get some fresh food, cold liquid and rest for a bit.

Turns out Indian Valley Rd was sent from the devil himself to torture poor souls like me. There is a net 1,500' drop but it includes 700' of climbing which I was completely not expecting. To make matters worse, the temperature had risen to the mid 90s and the road surface completely deteriorated. I didn't take any pictures because I was in such bad shape. My right achilles tendon started feeling inflamed, like the sheath was too tight for the tendon, so every time I flexed my calf I could feel the hot friction in my achilles. Probably due to weird pedaling mechanics while trying to manage the knee pain from earlier.

Despite all that, I limped into San Miguel at mile 211 exactly three minutes behind my planned schedule. I inhaled a large blue gatorade and ate a very disappointing burrito along with a large coke plus 2 refills. I found a picnic table in the shade and rested and called my wife for a morale boost. There was a small town 23 miles down the route and then the hotel 45 miles beyond that. Cell reception was non-existent prior to San Miguel and I was pretty sure it'd be spotty for the next 105 miles. We talked for a while and ultimately I decided to bail on the rest of the ride. Had it not been for my achilles pain I think I could have kept going. It felt fine to walk but when I got back on the bike for a test ride it was pretty bad. I figured I'd rather live to ride another day than do some kind of long-term damage.

She heroically drove 3.5 hours to rescue me.

I was bitterly disappointed while laying around in the park waiting for her to get there. So much planning and it felt like the stars had aligned to make this an ideal attempt, but it was not to be. I think if I had others to ride with it would have been huge. Also had I not needed to carry so much with me, I think I could have gotten much farther. My bike probably weighed 10 lbs less on the 300k I finished 2 weeks prior. But really that stretch on Indian Valley Rd just broke my spirit, especially since I had been banking on a long descent where I could just coast and rest. When that didn't materialize and I had to work hard on the frequent, short, punchy mini-climbs and the road surface was approaching 100% patch-work with little of the initial pavement remaining, I lost the will to continue on. All of my contact points were some flavor of painful and the long rest and put me behind schedule by at least 30 minutes.

After a day of rest, re-feeding, and reflection, I feel less bad about the attempt. Riding new roads is always fun so I'm thankful I had that opportunity. Plus now I know what to expect next time and that always seems to make it easier for some reason. Miles 110-160 were incredible riding and I had a huge smile plastered on my face most of the time. Hopefully covid goes the gently caress away soon so I can ride some brevets with actual real people again.

Wildlife sightings:
4x coyotes
One owl landed on the street in front of me
Near miss with a young deer at high speed
Almost ran over a snake
One possum
Several large groups of quail
Many large birds of prey, hawks?
Infinity ground squirrels

https://www.strava.com/activities/3875579646

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

The only things cost me more than $50 have been tools I couldn't borrow.
I don't disagree with what you posted however the tools definitely add up. Even using RJ The Bike Guy hacks will result in multiple trips to the hardware store and will be an exercise in frustration for any first time bike wrencher. If you're mechanically inclined, have the patience and have the money to buy the right tools, great! But if you consider the value of your time as >$0/hr, you're likely going to come out in the negative if you put time and money into fixing up a department store bike. Much better to buy something used off craigslist for $300 than spend $200 on a Huffy. FWIW, even low end Trek MTBs are a step up from department store bikes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Andy Dufresne posted:

Those don't look good tho
This guy gets it, welcome to the bike club friend

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Are there any bike goons in Kansas City (specifically Overland Park, KS)? Gonna be in town for a week, looking for a bike and routes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Salt Fish posted:

I crashed pretty loving hard yesterday.
gently caress this sucks so much. Get well soon

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ElMaligno posted:

Got my pedals today! :unsmith:

But i dont have a size 8 hex key or grease fo it... :smith:

But i can get those local! :unsmith:

But there was only one cleat (and assorted screws, spacers and stuff) in the box... :smith:

But REI is sending me some free cleats! :unsmith:

and they arrive next month :negative:
This story was a real rollercoaster

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

rope kid posted:

I crashed my dang road bike. I was cranking hard in an ascent and I realized I hadn't shifted onto my small chainring, so I did that :shepicide: , and the chain dropped, and then I swerved into a concrete drainage ditch curb.

Some nice road rash and a few open abrasions. The bike's fine other than two small scrapes on the drive side brake lever.
Which bike? Hopefully not the one with wood wheels :ohdear:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.
:drat:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9
poo poo dude, good stuff

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
No one's suggested Rene Herse tires yet? The tubeless extralites are v nice.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

jamal posted:

Our climbing and distance challenge thing is over.
Huge loving bravo for this. It's been fun following along on Strava!

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I found out I'll be travelling quite a bit for work for a period in the near future. I have an Orucase Airport Ninja and I want to use a full size road bike, not a folder. My current main bike is a huge PITA the pack up since you have to remove the fork and it has hydraulic disc brakes with an internal brake line through the fork leg. Plus the front/rear dyno wiring is tricky and taking the fenders off and on isn't my idea of a great time.

So I came up with this must-have list:
- threadless stem
- drop bars
- at least 9 speed
- mechanical caliper brakes
- any frame material
- 52-54 cm size
- ~$1,500 budget

Nice to have list:
- 11 speed
- integrated shifters
- room for wide tires
- the lighter the better
- wide range gearing
- 105 or better groupset

Somewhat surprisingly there seem to be a number of options in my area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/el-sobrante-2008-trek-madone-51/7193154164.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/los-gatos-tirreno-razza-1000-road-bike/7192845519.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-trek-alpha-21-road-bike-size/7187472186.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bik/d/san-mateo-2013-wilier-triestina/7191996496.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-specialized-tarmac-elite-sl2/7189956314.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/oakland-specialized-allez-sport-54cm/7188012995.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/d/hayward-all-city-space-horse-disc/7189094547.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/campbell-2016-cannondale-synapse-disc/7181915219.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/dearing-2015-specialized-tarmac-sl4/7191411934.html

Do any of these look obviously better than another?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Do they make cable stops that fit into the internal routing holes? Seems like that would be the best option.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I found out I'll be travelling quite a bit for work for a period in the near future. I have an Orucase Airport Ninja and I want to use a full size road bike, not a folder. My current main bike is a huge PITA the pack up since you have to remove the fork and it has hydraulic disc brakes with an internal brake line through the fork leg. Plus the front/rear dyno wiring is tricky and taking the fenders off and on isn't my idea of a great time.

So I came up with this must-have list:
- threadless stem
- drop bars
- at least 9 speed
- mechanical caliper brakes
- any frame material
- 52-54 cm size
- ~$1,500 budget

Nice to have list:
- 11 speed
- integrated shifters
- room for wide tires
- the lighter the better
- wide range gearing
- 105 or better groupset

That is kind of neat...

What about this?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/d/san-jose-like-new-jamis-eclipse-54cm/7194076473.html

spf3million fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 11, 2020

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
It sucks, I haven't ridden in over a week.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Urzza posted:

Just picked up my bike today. Brand new Sirrus X 4.0. First time I've been on a bike in years, and boy did my legs start to hurt.
Welcome back! It never gets easier, you just go faster.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

resident posted:

I got a 3M half mask + P100 filters from Amazon on Monday because gently caress giving up my last good days of summer to smoke.
It really is shaping up to be a boring distopia.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

e.pilot posted:

PDW has a coffee themed tape and state bike has a weed one.
Weed/coffee harlequin wrap??

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Am I remembering right that someone here has experimented with short cranks? Was it kimbo? I'm considering trying out 165 or even 160mm cranks. I'm thinking it would help to reduce knee strain, improve breathing by minimizing knee to chest contact (assuming an aggressive geometry), and also side benefit of making a bike that is slightly too tall for me look/fit a little better by effectively shortening the seat tube.

I'm reading that people who switch like having slightly higher gearing so they can maintain the same cadence. Any other qualitative experience/feedback?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

kimbo305 posted:

I now run 165 when I can, yes. The experiment is if I ever install these 150mm child cranks I have.
You notice the reduced angle range on the knee right away.

bicievino posted:

I don't think the gearing thing makes any sense. If you maintain the same cadence you don't need different gearing.

If anything, folks who run shorter cranks tend to find it easier to maintain a higher cadence, so you might want slightly easier gearing? But really I think it's unrelated.

I run 165 cranks, so not super short but normal short. I prefer them a lot, especially every time I get on my tandem which is stuck with 175s. Very noticable.
Yeah I haven't quite wrapped my mind around the cadence/gearing relationship yet either. Either way, it sounds interesting and something I'll likely pursue on my next build.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Speaking of my next build

:getin:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What's the thought these days on carbon rims with carbon brake tracks? I've always assumed they were a death trap waiting to happen on long descents but they have to be safe to ride by now, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Same but I have a hot rim brake frame that demands to be ridden.