Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Rapha X Palace collection is getting released Friday and lord help me but I'm about to spend several hundred pounds on a jersey with a duck on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

All the Palace/Rapha stuff is sold out on Palace’s site and there’s over an hour wait to see anything on Rapha’s. Nice, nice.

It was nuts. I figured as it was RCC members only I stood half a chance but only managed to get the training top and I was in within 20 minutes. Loads of stuff was showing as in stock then wouldn't let you add it to your cart, had a couple of othwr pieces in my basket as presents and they disappeared by the time I went to checkout.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Lost my car door virginity today :toot:

Passenger in a cab decided they wanted to get out into traffic without looking. Thankfully bike is mostly ok, will need new tape and a cover for my hood though.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Was it a London cab with a suicide door that you could bounce off of more easily?

Unfortunately no, it was a Prius

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Skutter posted:

Just looking at prices online, I would say, around $300-400? We need some room in the budget for the 5 different locks we apparently need. :sweatdrop: Both of our vehicles are crossovers, if that affects recommendations.

I don't have personal experience with them but the sea sucker racks look pretty nifty

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

X13Fen posted:

What's the current go-to chain lube recommendation?

Just used the last of mine and want to be prepared for next time I need to lube up

DIY wax is the poo poo. I've got over 700k on my chain and it's still clean.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I've heard wax isn't good in the wet but it's been pretty wet in London recently and it's been holding up fine. What's the issue?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Wahoo crew. I've got a elemnt roam that often takes 5 mins to get GPS signal, this is valuable Strava meters that I lose a d is this usual?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Color screen on a Garmin is probably worth it for off-road.

My Bolt locks GPS quickly. Could be other RF devices on the bike interfering with the Roam?

Don't run anything else, might drop them an email and see if they have any suggestions because it's consistently taking a few minutes though it doesn't drop out once it's got it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I bought carbon wheels because they looked cool and I reasoned It would make me ride more. They completely changed how the bike felt and I'm now doing group rides 1-2 times a week for the first time in having it for 14 years.

Buy cool stuff for your bikes.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Got a bike fit today. Had one when I first got the bike but that was nearly 15 years ago.

Would highly recommend it to anyone thinking about it. I wasn't feeling comfortable on the hoods so thought my stem was too long, in the end actually my position got moved forward and more stretched out whilst being more comfortable. Shoes feel way better with the cleats slightly further back and some arch supports in them too.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

My limit is 100 miles around a 1km oval. I thought I was going to lose my mind. Did they do the entire 500k in a loop?

Wait you did a century around the inner circle?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Did 147k in the rain today. Felt good on the way out but didn't eat on the bike on the second leg as I only had bars and they were stuck under my jacket anyway. Thinking about tucking some gels in my bibs for next time but mostly glad I had the metal to finish instead of getting a train when it really started loving it down.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Most C02 inflators will easily fill a road tyre, probably nearly twice.

I like inflators that let me control the on/off and just go with feel. It gets checked on a track pump with a guage at the earliest opportunity.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Ok folks I currently ride an old aluminium condor Italia with chorus 11speed and some Mavic carbon wheels. I love it to bits but it's getting on abit.

I have a super record EPs v3 groupset sans crank I've got sitting in a box that I can't use on my current frame which I was going to sell but I've just spotted a storck aerfast G2 frame for €1200. Is there any reason I should avoid getting it?

Would mean sticking with rim brakes for a while but there's no way I'm getting the equivalent setup in disc for a few years.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Why not accept the compromise and run mechanical brakes? I've got Klampers on my Record 12 and they're good stopping power.
If you had some disc frame that you really wanted, that is.

Hadn't considered this as an option

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

I’ve been considering a serious fitting, do you think it was with the money?
Did you do the whole bit with sensors?
Does the new position feel better, or just different right now?

Can't recommend a good fit enough (I used foundation bike fit for any London goons). In the end the changes that got made were pretty small but I feel so much more planted on the bike and I feel like by pedal stroke is more efficient.

Unrelated but I've decided I'm going to jump to disc with a velobuild frame. Tempted to try and build wheels myself, anyone have any experience of doing this?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Thinking about getting a look 695 that looks in decent nick (or maybe a colnago c60 i've just seen) . Whats the best site for checking if you can transfer your fit? geometry geek just compares frames

Loving Africa Chaps fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 9, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

You can try 99spokes. Are you trying to compare like stem length and setback, etc?

yeah i basically want to double check i can transfer my fit to the frames. The look is XXL but only slightly bigger then my current 58cm frame and the colnago is 54h which looks a touch smaller

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Are there any fit settings that are extreme for you? If you're not slammed on the seatpost, not full back / full front on the saddle, and not running a 1cm stem, +/-1cm diff on stack/reach should be well coverable by tweaks in small parts.

Yeah I've had a look and everything is +/- 10mm so I've bid on the colnago. I've got a super record EPS groupset to go with it and I'll probably go full Italian and get campag disc wheels to go with it.

My last road bike has lasted me 15 years and I've just got my consultant (attending for people in the us) post so this would be my silly bike for at least the next decade.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

My lowball offer on the colnago c60 frame got accepted :getin:

Now for the budget for this build to spiral out of control and then I can reach my final form of crawling round Richmond park in RCC kit on a bike that's too good for me.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

I had a massive smash today. Dumb cause, clipped the back wheel of the guy in front which then launched me into the verge at 25mph. Bars and left shifter are dead and I'm pretty messed up from the hips down. Very lucky I didn't go straight into a tree.

Pouring one out for your balls. Get hydrocolloid dressings for the road rash, they are magical.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Get a small in length but beefy d lock and use the Sheldon brown method to lock it. It makes it a pain for them to try and get purchase on it so they'll just move on to the bike next door. You really don't notice even a pretty heavy lock when you're on the bike.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's here :siren:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

I'm having a slight panic as there doesn't seem to be any holes on the frame for the derailuers. The person I bought it off used etap but I didn't think colnago did etap only frames. Would really rather avoid drilling holes in the frame but I can't find any manuals online.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's definitely missing a hole for the FD. Maybe it came from the factory with SRAM (🤢) and they couldn't be arsed to drill it. I'll double check on weight weenies but looks like the drill is coming out.

I was thinking about getting for Venn rims built up for wheels but I'm increasingly coming to terms I'm going to have to buy WTO 45's and hope my wife doesn't find the receipt

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

It's not a superbike if there's no drillium anyway

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

These old Italian dudes seem pretty chill with drilling it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tijgNEqBfh4

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Just go wireless I’m begging you

Goonwell.txt

My Nonno's Tullio and Ernesto will watch over me and protect me

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Dren posted:

if he can’t admit he was wrong about buying the wrong frame and either resell it or buy wireless to go with it he sure isn’t gonna admit drilling it was a bad idea

It's not the wrong frame. It comes as mechanical/electronic or electronic only. This doesn't have the routing for mechanical but does have the hole for the RD. There's plenty of people who've made holes in old colnago frames for electronic gearing and they are known for building strong but heavy carbon frames.

I'm not going to disgrace it by putting on a different groupset on it because I've already got super record (apart from the crank) EPS V3 ready to go and I'm not going to downgrade

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm not going to disgrace my frame

*perforates frame with a black and decker drill on the kitchen table*

It's just like the factory paisanos with a lubricating drill press

It's a dewalt actually :chord:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Did LAC drill the frame? What if the answer is yes :ohdear:

I'm just buying components at the moment and I'll probably do it when I do the full build.

So far I'm getting:
- juin tech gt-f hybrid brakes
- jagwire elite brake cable set (or maybe nokon)
- ceramic speed bottom bracket (person I bought frame off has spare and is sending it to me)

Need:
- handlebars, 40cm or might go down to 38's
- new arione as mine is 15 years old
- downtube grommet, might 3d print it
- wheels and tyres

I was going to buy some schmolke SL 45's because they look baller but theyaren't tubeless. Tune is the other brand selling the Munich composite rims so that's an option. Winspace hypers look great but I'm put off by the amount of people saying they creak loads, especially as I'm just over the weight limit. Sent some emails to wheelbuilders in the UK but they're all old men in sheds who never loving reply.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

meltie posted:

link please?

Same

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

If I buy carbon handlebars how quickly will I get doored?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I've debated getting an ultrasonic. What's it like with managing the solvent or cleaning fluid? Do you need to swap it out every time? Is it safe to dispose down the drain?

I used water with some soap. Importantly i got one where I can use the water bath without the ultrasonic so I can sous vide stuff with it :getin:

Nitrousoxide posted:

How do you all wash your bikes? I don't have an outside hose. After my ride on Saturday my bike is covered in clay dust from the trail.

I wait till my wife is out and it goes in the bath. Keep the wheels on or the forks can damage it.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Anyone gone from a arione to a tune speedneedle? Love my 15 year old arione so will probably get another one for the new build but the tune looks baller and just wondering how they might compare.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Aphex- posted:

Hell yeah!

Me, my girlfriend and her friend also did our first ever 100km ride yesterday. Made a route that took on the highest road pass in Wales too so the legs are definitely tired now. The moving time would be a bit less but we spent the first 30 mins looking for some public toilets in Abergavenny! :D

That looks fantastic

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Soon

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

11sp cassette spacing is basically the same but the splines on the hub are different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

CommanderApaul posted:

So I have an odd question. I came across a used Project One Trek Domane with a Di2 drivetrain at the local shop while I was trying to find something new in my size and price range, which is apparently out of stock and backordered everywhere (my size and price range that is). It was part of a three-bike tradein at the local shop and was the guy's baby apparently, and they've given it a once over and there's no issues with it. Problem is it's 54cm, and I measure for a 58.

I went to take it on a quick test ride around the lot this morning, and with the saddle at the right height everything felt ok, but the reach is just a bit cramped and it puts me in a really aggressive posture. Nothing horrible, and I think I'd be ok. I also think I could get a new stem that both raises and extends the bars to what they would be if it was a 58cm frame without too much issue. I've been pushing 40 miles 3x a week on the lovely $300 Amazon special I bought last year, but I can tell I've gone about as far, performance and fitness wise, as I'm going to go with the really bad gear ratio it has, and I want to get something that I'm really going to be able to push myself on.

So I guess, thoughts? Would you pull the trigger on a slightly undersized, 7 year old bike that was in the $8K range for under $2k? Or am I being stupid.

Riser stems look terrible, don't do it. Double check the geometry though, the drill-nago is nominally 54h but actually is almost identical to my conventional 58