Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
How do you eat/poop on such a long ride?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just started cycling again for the first time in about 10 years by taking my new-to-me cargo bike to the grocery store. Went pretty well, aside from my horrid conditioning.

My quads were really sore afterward but my glutes weren't at all. Is this normal or does my seat need to repositioned?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a real jackass. Have you told them to stop loving with your bike?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations a smartphone handlebar mount that's good for taking horizontal videos? Shopping around, the vast majority seem like they would block my camera when sideways and the rest don't seem to be good quality.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

e.pilot posted:

Don’t mount your phone to your handlebars, the camera mechanism isn’t built to handle that kind of vibration and it will break it eventually, whether you’re using the camera or not.

Yikes! Any goon preferred helmet mount, then?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Duck and Cover posted:

Preordered a ebike https://www.prioritybicycles.com/products/current for the Costco price of $2600 feel free to tell me how I'm a dumb idiot and should have bought something else.

Not sure about that one in particular, but Priority seems to have a good reputation for its standard bikes. Supposing they put a good motor and battery on an already good bike, it should be a good e-bike

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I managed to replace the internally routed rear brake cable on my bike, but the grommets are a bit warped and I don't think they'll go back in. How bad would it be for the aluminum frame if I just omit the grommets?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

rt4 posted:

I managed to replace the internally routed rear brake cable on my bike, but the grommets are a bit warped and I don't think they'll go back in. How bad would it be for the aluminum frame if I just omit the grommets?

Update: I used a screwdriver to push them back into place

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My cargo trike has oddly thick 34mm handlebars. They're the same diameter top to bottom. Any recommendations for a bell that'll fit?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yes, but it's actually two bars that go down and connect to a steering linkage underneath.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bicievino posted:

I think the long clamp on the spurcycle will fit fine - I've got one on a 35mm bar.

Their website shows a 31.8mm diameter, but I'm gonna try it!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Boogalo posted:

Late to hatchback chat but bike fits in the wagon with the front wheel off and the passenger seat bumped forward just a few notches.

Still want a hitch rack though. Someday.

I slipped once while doing this and the chaining chewed some notches into my bumper. Oh well, that's just the hatchback lifestyle

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

Absolutely not. I live in a big city where they dont give a poo poo about bike theft.

I'm kind of emotional about it today, I loved that bike - I had planned on keeping it forever and upgrading parts on it for no reason other than I wanted to.

I guess I can go buy another hybrid, but it will not be the same. I do need a bike to just tool around on and tow the toddler and the road bike won't cut it. So I guess it's N+1 time.

Tell me what your favorite hybrid/city bikes are!

If I was about to buy one, I'd get a Brilliant L-Train. The 7 speed hub gear, belt drive, and ability to mount fenders ought to make it a really nice city bike.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

How does the bike hive mind feel about brass colored fenders on a hybrid/commuter bike?

Note that that brass would match the bottle cage and the seat rails.

That's gonna look great

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I replaced the chain on my bike which has front and rear derailleurs. Now I'm unable to shift through the gears the way I was before. I have a hunch that the chain is the wrong length, but I threw out the old chain so I can't compare. How can I be sure of the proper length without having the old chain for reference?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you really want to make other motorists angry, simply obey the speed limit

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever use your bike to pick up takeout, especially a big pizza? I think a trailer is the way to go, but I don't want to overlook a less cumbersome option.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poemdexter posted:

Take off front wheel and replace with pizza.

A pizza baked beyond recognition, the poor man's carbon wheel

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eeenmachine posted:

How much ridicule would I get riding my road or gravel bike with some of the new lightweight full face helmets? All my brain sees here and on reddit are crash stories now... I was looking at the Bell Super Air R. A friend of a friend lost 6 teeth this week and needs plastic surgery :(

Whatever makes you ride more often is good

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Allowing street harassment to continue unimpeded also strengthens patriarchy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you want low maintenance without the chore of fixed gear, consider a hub gear. 7 speeds is enough for pretty much anything. Also consider a belt drive bike, which eliminates the chain hassle.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

unless you are going to gently caress the funkopop it isn't a potential safety issue

New thread title

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Salt Fish posted:

Blinking light haters crew checking in

Target fixation prevention team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I got myself a Brilliant L-Train a couple months ago and it seems I've managed to bend the front wheel. Is that the sort of thing to repair or replace?
Is there any reason I shouldn't get a dynamo wheel to replace it?