Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Keep the newbs here. I picture a beginner thread being really tedious for anyone with experience to bookmark so it's just going to be a bunch of beginners giving each other advice. Which means schrader valves and WD-40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

this certainly was a thing today :thunk:

Life would be so easy if I had no shame like this guy

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rope kid posted:

Friends, please help. I got a Sugino Impel triple crank, 42/32/22 (I think), 94 BCD. I bought a Wolf Tooth 94 BCD 28t chainring to replace the 32 (plan to just drop the 22), so I would have 42/28. Yeah, cool great.

The problem (?) is that the chainring bolt holes are threaded and the chainring at those locations is thick enough that it basically takes up the entire length of the male part of the stock chainring bolts. So it can't thread into the female part of the chainring bolt and I'm not really sure what the intention is here.

Are there extra-long chainring bolts for Wolf Tooth chainrings that can thread through their inner chainring and into the crank/outer chainring on the other side?

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/products/94-bcd-for-5-arm-cranks

I admit I may also have missed something in the product text here.

Edit: ??? https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/chainring-bolts/products/chainring-bolts

Ah yeah I have one of those on an old 94 BCD Sugino triple I converted to 1x. FireTora is right that "drop stop" refers to the wolftooth narrow-wide pattern for 1x. But since you're curious the threaded chainring eliminates the need for 4 of the 5 female chainring bolts. The odd one out 5th hole still needs one. I'm p. sure that's for cranksets with the 5th bolt behind the crank arm which is one of the most frustrating bike component designs imaginable.

It's wild that 94 and 95 BCD both exist. I didn't know about that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Coxswain Balls posted:

The size of IS mount you need also depends on what size brake rotor you're using, so make sure to get the correct one.

This and Crust will probably have a maximum rotor size for the fork somewhere which you won't want to exceed.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

redcheval posted:

I have an extreme thirst to start biking more. I’m a big newbie and all I have right now is a little townie cruiser I’ve been riding around the neighborhood every day, but I want to do more and get out on the weekends. My fiancé and I would love to do some beginner mountain bike trails but he’s not going to be able to buy a bike any time soon even in normal, non-bike shortage times. I’m also really intrigued by gravel and trail biking.

The bike shop near me is unsurprisingly almost completely cleaned out but they have Surly Midnight Specials in for $1600 right now. I’ve done obsessive bike research over the past couple months but I still don’t really know what would be good for me. Should I just bite the bullet and get one of these? Or forgo my big beautiful bike dreams until post-covid when I can go nuts trying bikes out at the store?

If it fits you that's a fair price for a bike with a lot of uses.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

redcheval posted:

Snagged that Midnight Special in hot mayo. No idea what I’m doing but I’m excited

Nice that's the best color of the three imo. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how fast you can go on the surly compared with your cruiser.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This post, now in the correct thread:
This old Quintana Roo popped up on facebook, and I can't help but admire those bars. No listed size, but it's listed as having 650 wheels and being "too small" for the current owner to . It looks to me like it's a 650 front 700 rear from the picture. I really don't need to throw $250 at an old TT bike that probably doesn't fit me, but a part of me certainly wants to.

That's the era of 650c wheels which are a pain in the rear end to get rims and tires for.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

golden bells posted:

I think it's because I'm a lady, but men frequently lie to me about their height. Dudes who are my height (5'4"/163cm) telling me they're 5'10"

This is really funny btw.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I love bicycle press

quote:

The new features across the three bikes in the range add about $500 to the cost of an already spendy bicycle. The top of the range new GSD R14—with belt drive, Rohloff Speedhub, and suspension front and rear—will cost $8,399.
Fitting collapsible parts comes naturally for Tern: the company began in 2011 as an upscale maker of folding bikes, co-founded by Hon and his mother, Florence. (Hon’s estranged father is Dr. David Hon, the laser scientist who, in 1981, left Hughes Research Lab to found Dahon folding bikes.)

wowza

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

I was more interested in the phrase "pot plant". I suspect that means different things in different parts of the world, but my brother had several of those in the basement where I grew up.

Since his bio is "I have been writing about transport for 30 years" I'm sensing some bloody limey innit

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

hemale in pain posted:

you could probably make something which is basically the same for $1500. it wont be able to stand up but whatever.

Nah I don't think you could

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

If it's a joke then it's not helpful and I'm not sure a newbie would get it if thread regulars don't. And if it's not a joke it's bad advice.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

a flat bar bike isn’t necessarily a hybrid

a hybrid is a flat bar bike

this is what I’m talking about when I say hybrid

some extremely heavy step through monstrosity likely with some kind of questionable fork and the cheapest of the cheap drivetrain and brakes, literally nobody should buy these

This, is a good bike

I think you have a bit of a hybrid posting style

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

But the newbies need the contenttttt.

lol the OP is making me blush please just delete it and put links for the other bike threads

e.pilot posted:

This is the Bicycle Megathread and we're here to help

The modern bicycle is nearly 140 years old, and typically consists of two roughly equally sized wheels, a metal (or carbon fibre) frame, some pedals, and various parts to turn your pedalling into forward motion and let you steer and brake.

Unicycles are not bicycles, because they only have one wheel. I don't think we need a unicycle thread.

E-Bikes
No.

Generally a set of components will the called a "gruppo".

for newer bikes you can find great info on parktools.com.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

wrong thread

bikes are cool

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

moctopus posted:

Is there a ready made solution (or available steps to take) to get 150mm cranks + dual sided power without pedal based power meters?

I'm guessing you could run 160mm cranks with 5mm shims between your shoe and cleat without noticing much difference. Don't know how wise it would be to run a full 1 cm of spacers with 165mm

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

bicievino posted:

I think you're correct, that will not work at all. That just offsets your pedal by 5mm, it doesn't change the radius of the circle made as you pedal.

lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Does anyone have input on what pm 2.5 AQI is ok for riding without a mask?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Sigmund Fraud posted:

I like going on weekling camping trips with my bike and can pretty much fit everything in my two rear Vaude panniers. The tent fits between the two panniers on the cargo rack. This naturally makes the bike back heavy. Are there negatives to this? Would I benefit from shifting the center of gravity forward?

You'll be putting more stress on your rear wheel and on really steep uphill grades you could wind up doing a wheelie. As long as you're not exceeding the weight capacity of your wheel it should be ok but I prefer having some weight balanced up front and in the frame.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

It works out OK, but I would like, if possible, to pack my tent in one of the panniers instead as it gets soaked in heavy rains. The tent poles won't fit but I could strap those to the cargo rack. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I would need a water proof stuff sack to put inside the pannier as I would hate packing a wet tent and getting the rest of my things wet. Alternatively, I could perhaps let the pannier get wet but only keep items that I don't mind getting wet there.

A trash bag is usually good enough to keep things dry or to contain wet gear if you're careful not to rip it. You would need to spend 100x more for a dry bag with basically the same effect and more bulk.

Sigmund Fraud posted:

Secondly, I'd like a small front pannier/bag to hold my wallet and other small, frequently used items as it can be a pain to access the panniers. Got any ideas? There are a bunch of cheap ones avaliable to Aliexpress that claim to be water proof but I have my doubts. I like to bike hands free so I guess a handlebar bag would make that all but impossible?

If you buy something MUSA by one of the many cottage industry bag makers it will probably last longer
http://www.nukesunrise.com/store/p4/silo.html
or similar

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

So long red dick.

It won't be the same without the ol' red rocket around here

Are you powdercoating it?

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That bike owns

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

sweat poteto posted:

I did exactly this one time, wrecked a carbon SRAM Red chainset.

That's nothing. Ragtime did it to their custom crankset

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

rope kid posted:

I hit a bit of a snag with my Crust build. I ran the cables for the shifters and the front brake, but when I got to the rear brake, I realized that my initial belief about the top tube's internal cable tube (i.e., that it had cable stops at each end) was wrong. So I need a pretty dang long piece of housing... or do I??? There are two possibilities I'm considering: 1) I run separate pieces of housing (with ends filed as flat as I can get them) that meet within the internal tube, trusting in the tube to prevent any significant squirm when the cable is pulled or 2) I do the same thing, but use Jagwire double-ended ferrules (plastic housing removed at the connection, 5mm OD - same as the plastic housing) to connect the housing inside the tube. I have no idea if those li'l Jagwire ferrules can negotiate the entrance to the internal tube, but I ordered some because they've been useful on other projects, so why not?

Are both of these ideas bad? If you're wondering why I don't just get more housing, it's because I don't think I can get more housing of the same type in the length that I need -- and I've already installed the shifters and front brake so I don't want to have to redo all of that.

#1 without any reinforcement the cables are going to bend or offset slightly at the split point and you're going to have bad breaking performance

for #2 do you have enough length to keep the connection point outside of the bike? If not, you could get a 3rd piece or regular housing and run that internally with just a little nubbin sticking out each end to avoid having the ferrules in a hard to access place (you won't have to pull the housing out of the bike when you change cables for example). I would at least test ride the ferrules with the housing zip tied to the outside before you commit to using them because again having breaks in housing tends to gum things up unless everything is just right.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Blessed by a boon of relatively fresh air in the Bay Area, I rode my bike to the grocery store to get stuff for brownies.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

PFC aren't you mounting like 32c tires? You don't need a compressor for that.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

simmyb posted:

Oh yeah I forgot to show off in the thread my new shoes I finished last week:

I feel like these should have a big yellow MAWIC logo taking up most of each shoe

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

e.pilot posted:

I just drop everyone and laugh maniacally inside when they inevitably fall off.

Changing the conversation about a woman asking what to do about being stalked to Me winning defacto sprint points from someone trying to pass

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Imagining evil bunny misunderstanding tubeless tires and klunking around like a katamari full of staples and nails

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Quick question

I had a Giant Neostrack computer that I lost last month

All it did that I care about is use GPS to track my speed + averages and save them to a website where I could look back and check my progress.

Can anyone suggest something similar? I don't care about sensors or whatever, I just want a computer that uploads my poo poo to a free website where I can look at my time + distance.

Lezyne makes some units for less than $100 that are fine as long as you don't need navigation

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/hotwalk-carbon

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

I've had a lot more bikes, but man, the stories / bike average is sure a lot lower
https://www.outsideonline.com/2417395/semi-rad-life-bicycles

This person could go toe to toe with nm destroying bikes

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I think the owner is just taking time off to tour. He does it pretty often

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

frogbs posted:

I think it'd go over a lot better if they just said this instead of posting a video of a phone!

It's Rivendell for millenials run by less reliable people with even worse business instincts. They keep trying to run a storefront and side business selling two ply ladies' canvas jumpsuits. They make good bikes and seem nice but don't be surprised when they suddenly shut down.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

After righteously rejecting the joke list and claiming "all bikes are good", goons are very quick to poo poo on the deluxe stationary bike. Mind your own beeswax lol

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bouillon Rube posted:

Is there anything wrong with re-using (lightly) used tires?

My neighbor left his cheap single speed by the curb for trash collection, and he just put new gator skins on it maybe a year ago. I asked him if I could pull the wheels off and he said go for it. I don’t think he rode much on them; maybe a few hundred miles at most.

Everyone that rides their bike is riding on used tires, often with much more than a few hundred miles. Go for it if they are in good shape

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

The fixie craze was only like 10-15 years ago so you don’t have to be that ancient to have ridden toe clips.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

LMAO some of the more common tube sizes we order are all on backorder.

ETA: June 25

This summer is going to suck so much.

Do you guys save old tubes? You could patch them and offer them up for anyone that just needs to get rolling.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Bidoffs

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Killed In Action
Movement that inspires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

drat bikesdirect still looks like it did 12 years ago, when it it looked like it was designed 12 years before that