Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

bichael

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kimbo305 posted:

Oh, we're riding around in our tux jerseys now?

Gotta be formal in a new place till we get comfortable

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Road my bichael today :hellyeah:

Went back along the coast road with an insane tail wind, good times

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

kimbo305 posted:

I'd double check that the creak isn't coming from any of the cable stops near the head tube. Decently easier check to grease those and see if the creak goes away / changes.

Yeah this, I had a creak from where a cable entered the frame, I'd always notice it as I was carrying the bike and the handlebars turned fully one way

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isn't that the kind of part an lbs would have a lot of spares knocking around from wheel and hub changes?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

spf3million posted:

I went on a big ride yesterday, haven't got the motivation for a trip report yet, but today I'm especially sore only in my quads and calfs. Nothing in the glutes, hamstrings or hip flexors. I assume this is because I have terrible pedalling habits. I got into biking using flat pedals and became a masher. Now that I have clipless pedals, I still rarely do any kind of pulling around from 6-12 o'clock unless I'm actively thinking about it. I also assume that if I were to practice enough eventually it would become more natural.

My problem is that when I do pull through the bottom of the pedal stroke and up, it puts a lot more pressure on my sit bones (seems obvious). Over long rides, eventually all of my contact points get over the threshold into the painful category to some degree. Adding the pull seems like it will more than double the cumulative load on my sit bones. I thinking about this right? Any way around this? I feel like my fit is pretty good since I'm not sore in my back or neck after 17 hours in the saddle.

Pulling up really isn't much benefit on clipless as you are probably pushing down way more on the opposite side

The real benefit is getting over the dead point at 12/6 o'clock. Try concentrating more on pulling your foot back at the base of your stroke, or as I heard someone very elegantly describing it as 'scraping poo poo off your shoe'

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They're super cool and seriously impressive for a bit of home engineering especially as you are apparently a duck :duckie:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Can someone remind me what tape code name I'm searching for that works really well as a tubeless rim tape?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thanks both :tipshat:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Helmets are up there with bibs on the list of things to never buy second hand

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

hoods are more aero :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I mean they are not exactly lumpy

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You can use the hoods in an aero or comfortable position though, its not like its just one or the other

Either way I really don't ride fast enough to care much, I was just sticking an oar in for the sake of discussion

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

iospace posted:

I know I know. Mostly I was going down a new route for part so was taking it a bit slower.

I would 100% crop that ride to get it a bit closer

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

tuyop posted:

Looks like exposed and frayed wire. Is this tire hosed forever?

yes

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

A quick spray down will leave a protective layer of ice on your rims

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gohuskies posted:

One time I kept pumping it up for awhile just to get through the rest of my ride but otherwise I've put two new tubes in there and it's currently flat waiting for me to put in a third. It's an old rigid MTB with 26x1.95 knobby tires, which don't appear to be sold super often nowadays. I bought it used so I have no idea how old the tires are - it was from a trustworthy used bike shop but I don't know how it got to them and if they did anything to it before I got it besides a round of basic maintenance.

Instead of something sharp puncturing the tube there could be a small split in the tire the tube is pushing out of

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

115km posted for the first day, went up two big hills, just under 1400m of climbing. Was below zero up on top of both of them. Nippy, especially the descents

Not riding tomorrow though, plenty of time without xmas day

You'd never have guessed it was late December in Wales from the pictures, glorious day

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Easier one today, just enough to keep on track and fitting in the small window I had before Storm Bella rolls in. The Vale of Glamorgan is still pretty flooded, got very wet feets

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Easy flat one today, 325km done with 3 days to go

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

402 done after today. Front derraileur went ping 16km from home

Pissing rain by that point obviously, highest gear being 34x23. So depressingly slow :qq:

I'll be able to fix it by tomorrow but at least it happened today and not an hour out the door in the morning

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finished on 480km today, so first lie in for a week tomorrow morning then a gentle pootle in the afternoon to finish it off

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

F500 finished off with the usual hill reps a little group of us do on a Thursday night. As no one else was silly enough to be doing it on NYE at -2oC I picked up 4 of the local legends we all trade each week and have a good lead in all of them

So a solid result all round

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

John Romero posted:

please dont get angry at me as i am very sensitive but is there a peloton thread

I like this peloton thread:

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/1089923528722309120

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Disappointed that the tingling sensation from slathering assos cream on your dick and balls wears off pretty quick? Well have I got the product for you!

spicy

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The lure of 10,000 meters after you’ve already done 8,848 is too strong to resist.

no

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://i.imgur.com/oSdk1eX.gifv

there you go, learn all of this

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Group rides are back in the UK baby (max 6 people) and my excuses for getting dropped were on point.

* in England

Limit of just 2 households here

Though I'll admit its not stopped me the last week. We've not been taking the piss though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

:rip:

now post pics

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

grats on your upcoming etap upgrade :toot:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Krogort posted:

I have a fancy looking saddle (only cost 25 bux tho) on my city bike and I worry some ill intended wanker is going to nick it.
Has anybody tried filling in the hex heads with glue or sealant or some other thing that is not permanent but is enough to deter somebody ?

You could swap out the hex bolt for a security one, there's loads of different ones if you google them

A torx bolt might even do if that's too much effort though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Speaking of clip-on peddles, do those help with endurance when riding? I would imagine they do help because you can apply force with your legs on both the upstroke and downstroke of the peddle, meaning you can either apply about twice as much force over the same duration, or can apply the same force, but split it over two entirely separate muscle groups rather than just the muscles used for the downstroke?

As has been mentioned pulling up isnt really a thing, but pulling back at the dead point at the bottom of the stroke definitely is

You'd be surprised how much effort you save just by not having to physically keep your feet on the pedals though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hell yeah gently caress up that frame good

(looks like a tidy job)

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

learnincurve posted:

Someone has a mild opinion that does not effect you in the slightest! Quick everyone, tell them why they are wrong, repeatedly and in a sanctimonious way, it’s been at least 12 hours, don’t let it drop!

There was a god drat lake nearby on the flat and it was a first ride for at least two riders, thinking a absolute beginner group should be taken there is not WRONG THINK! ROAD BIKERS ASSEMBLE AND ATTTAAAAAAACKKK!

If you continue posting about stuff you clearly know very little about, don't get offended when people point out you are wrong

You've been acting like you're the authority on all forms of biking recently with very little to back it up

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I love the Varia radar and can’t imagine riding without it now tbh. Urban environments I’m sure it’s going off constantly but out in the country it’s invaluable. I’d say 75% of the riders I’m with have one at this point.

Having never used one or seen one in the wild I'm willing to take your word for it, but at the same time I'm struggling to think of a situation my ears wouldn't work just as well

What makes it so useful?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It works way further out than my ears can hear, especially if there’s oncoming traffic causing noise. It shows how many cars are coming up from behind so I can adjust speed if I’m making a turn across traffic.

I know it sounds cliché but it’s one of those things that doesn’t seem all that great until you actually use it.

Oh I didn't realise it could pick out individual cars, that's cool

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

gohuskies posted:

What I want from a computer is to load in a route from Strava or Ride With GPS, for it to give me the directions for the route as I ride, and then to track all the data accurately for upload, and that's it. The Wahoo Bolt delivers that.

This is me too (original ELEMNT though). I don't know if it's got any better recently but going by experiences from weekly group rides of 10-15 peeps a year back pre covid, everyone wahoo had the advertised route on them without fail, barely anyone on their garmins as it was too much hassle, especially for the older boys and girls

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

EvilJoven posted:

There's actually multiple layouts on Wahoo.

But drat that return to start Garmin has sounds really awesome. Wahoo doesn't even let you navigate to a POI natively, you gotta upload your route from another source like RWGPS or Strava.

This is not true btw, you can navigate to anywhere via your phone in a few clicks and it'll appear on the head unit

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 19, 2021

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've never felt like I needed road names when following a route, its not like anything outside of the city even has any which is where I do most of my cycling

Even navigating within civilization im not using names for getting around . Just 'turn next left' or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If a bike can't take the stress of someone standing up to put power into it then its a poo poo bike that shouldn't be ridden