Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

My mountains are on fire and will likely not be fully reopened within the next decade so gently caress it, friendship ended with backpacking now biking is my new best friend.

Just got back from taking this Salsa Journeyman on it's first trip and I'm super stoked on it 😍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Took the Salsa out on its real inaugural journey today and hoo boy. Rode the San Gabriel river bike trail in socal with my friend and a few of his friends who are all experienced cyclists.

This distance is way way outside my comfort zone but I'm pretty stoked I was able to complete it!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Playing SW Squadrons and biking have basically been the only things keeping me remotely sane during the past few months so I wound up painting my bike helmet lol.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

First big weekend ride after my homie helped me get my tubeless setup going last weekend.

I managed to throw and bend my chain 6 miles into my planned 52 mile route lmao, and somehow the chain got wedged in exactly two places against the frame and I left the house without a multitool. By some stroke of luck this occurred like 200 feet from a local bike shop and they got me unfucked and I did the rest of the route without issue.

Put in another 44 miles today and am feeling good. I'm thinking a saddle upgrade might be in the cards in the future here as my rear end starts to get real unhappy at about the 30mi mark I've noticed. Do any of you have saddle recommendations for folks with wider sit bones?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biggus Duckus posted:

To add to this, if your rear end is sore in the proper place (sit bones) it could just be a conditioning thing. It takes some time for your butt to feel comfortable even with the perfect saddle.

If you find that you do need a different saddle, I recommend the Ergon SM line, they have a wide option and also gel options I think.

I suppose it could be that, but I've logged ~860mi from late November til now, and that's not counting any mileage from the summer before I started using Strava. There's probably not a clean answer for this, but is there any sort of "goal" I should be working towards to figure out if it indeed is a conditioning thing?

I've currently just got the stock Volt WTB 142 on there and it's definitely not terrible, it would just be cool to snag something comfier for longer rides when that dull rear end ache starts to set in lol.

Thanks for the suggestions so far folks! Gonna measure my donk and start looking at a few.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

This same route absolutely kicked my rear end in early January, but the combination of a new Sun Race cassette and ~350 miles ridden since that had me feeling pretty good on it last night. Bombing down mountain roads at night owns :)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Longest solo ride yet today! The weather here's been great so I'm trying to soak it in before we inevitably hit hell season shortly.

Do you guys take any kind of supplements to help with recovery at all? I used to do BCAAs when I was lifting a bunch pre-covid but idk if there's anything bike specific I should be looking at.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Serendipitaet posted:

Anyone got recommendations for phone mounts on the stem or handlebars (31.8mm)? Got a cheapish one from Amazon that is aluminum and it barely fits over the handlebar without allowing for any cushioning so it’ll probably scratch the hell out of it. The alternatives i saw (and didn’t go for) look like big rubber straps and just don’t seem very secure.

FWIW, I've been running the $20 ROAM one from Amazon since November and a couple hundred miles with zero issues. The combo of the pinching arm mechanism + rubber straps hasn't failed yet, at least, and I like that the thing's on a ball joint. I've got a Pixel 2 XL in there with a case if that helps at all.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Hot drat, 100mi in 6 hours is fast as hell (for me at least). Hell yeah.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biked up to one of my favorite places on the local mountains after a storm cell dumped a bunch of snow all over it for the past few days. I think this is like a 3k jump on my previous max elevation gain? Am dead but happy :toot:

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

bicievino posted:

God that second shot. I'm so jelly.

A lot of this area burned during our hell season in late summer / fall but it's making a fast come back, and I'm so grateful that Crystal Lake itself was spared. It's a special place.

e.pilot posted:

How was it up there? I am thinking about heading up there on Tuesday.

Gorgeous as usual! The amount snow tourists you'd expect for a weekend but whatever, more business for Adam and the cafe.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

My first decent crash, and I was lucky enough to have the Go Pro running lmao.

I did this trail for the first time at night a few weeks ago, go figure I eat poo poo on it in the middle of the day.

Objurium fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 21, 2021

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

post it you tease

I think there's some weirdness going on between desktop and awful app, but here:

laugh at my misfortune

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

What did you, a bad slip into the gravel on the left?

I think I was already leaning slightly to the right to get through that corner and steered into a patch of soft rear end sand or silt, and the frame slid out from underneath me to the left as I jackknifed the handlebars to the right.

And yeah, I've been super impressed with the Hero 7 Black and I think they're at least a few iterations beyond that at this point. I jumped from an ancient Contour ROAM to this and the difference is insane, although tbf running the Go Pro at 120+ frames is basically also success through volume, allowing this to be immortalized as it flew off my helmet lmao

Objurium fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Mar 21, 2021

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Did my first overnight bikepacking trip with loaded saddlebags on this frame.

Bike handles very strangely with food and sleep gear weighing the rear down and I can tell I'm still skittish on dirt after eating poo poo a few weeks back, but I'll get over it with time.

Also had an excuse to wear my idiot rear end reflecto hypebeast jacket and become the Techno Pope.

Our group came across a dude yelling for help in a ravine he tried to take as a shortcut off the top of Rattlesnake Peak, but he bushwhacked himself into a super lovely position and then ran out of daylight.

My homie that has wilderness medical training got up to the dude and thankfully he was uninjured. He'd already activated an SOS device thinking he was going to have to spend the night on the mountain and a SAR bird came looking for him shortly after we had him back on the trail and were giving him water, but he was able to walk out on his own.

My phone also lost it's loving mind and boot looped until it thought the date was late October 2020, causing Strava to think I had pedaled 3800 hours into the past.

An ✨eventful evening✨

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Biked down to the beach taking a route thru bougie west LA I've never been to before and it was mostly enjoyable.

I feel like I'm running out of places to go checkout that feel do-able within a day around my area and don't absolutely suck to get to though - I would be happy if I never had to pedal thru Tujunga again.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Wokeup feeling pretty well rested after an otherwise shot weekend of Moderna second-dose malaise and decided to go take a chance on a route Strava generated for me that involved a ton of dirt trails.

Still feeling a little skittish on dirt after eating poo poo a few weeks back, but whatever gently caress it. Only one way to get around that eh?

TRIAL NUMBER ONE: Sunbathing Noodle

Homie was absolutely posted and didn't care at all about the rocks I lazily toss in his direction (not at him, of course) so I pretty much had to wait until he got bored and left after he did the striking coil thing when I tried to just go around. Okay for sure dude lol.

TRIAL NUMBER TWO: Strava "Routes"

I climbed ~2k feet to Tongva Peak, where Strava is convinced there's another dirt road that'll drop me down the south side of the mountain, but I'm pretty sure it wanted me to take this mega sketchy looking fire break along the ridgeline and lmao, naw I'm good.

I had a feeling that might be the case as I've never heard of a thru-route over the hills in that particular direction, and figured worst case I could just carry my bike down until it got rideable, but it was steep and lovely looking enough to seem like a bad idea, so I bailed and found an alternate route down. I guess my b for not double-checking the route on satellite beforehand.

Also got to learn how to tweak my barrel adjuster thingies on my brakes on the side of the road after realizing I had next to no ability to stop myself while going fast down that alternate route lmao

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Were you on a gravel bike? If I saw that single track down the side of a trail on my MTB I'd have a hard time resisting.

Yeah, Salsa Journeyman Sora.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Decided I really wanted to push myself this weekend and add a new highway sticker to my frame, so a buddy and I went and did this.

Incredible weather for it, and the entire southern portion of the route had some nice grey cloud coverage up through Lytle Creek.

From there, we took a random grindy dirt road for a ways up hill as a connector out to the desert / as a way to avoid the Cajon pass. It eventually gets to a decent drop off for a few miles of fun dirt downhill that I'm still getting a feel for, but I felt less conservative than I normally do about dirt shredding.

You get spit out on a more maintained, wider dirt road that eventually meets the pavement of Lone Pine Canyon Road, which I believe runs along the San Andreas fault and connects Cajon to Wrightwood.

Cloud cover now gone, this was easily the chuggiest part of the route with what feels like an endless stretch of climbing out to the horizon with no cover whatsoever. Homie and I did find an unopened but clearly ancient bag of apple ring gummies laying in the dirt on the side of the road however, and we devoured them because we are disgusting and it owned.

Eventually you hit sub-alpine elevation and the scenery starts to get real pretty. We dropped into Wrightwood to top off on supplies, I devoured some gas station sushi and an enormous pickle, and we began another big ol' climb up to Blue Ridge.

We had done about 70 miles to get to Wrightwood and my longest ride previous to this was 80 something with like 7k elevation gain total, but I was in the mf zone and feeling great. We got up to Blue Ridge right at the golden hour and the view was loving incredible.

With waning daylight, we had a pretty monster drop towards Vincent Gap (I think), and the combination of flying down a mountain road while the last light of the day casts long shadows on the huge rock walls and scattered snow deposits clinging to the north face Baden Powell made for one of the coolest experiences I've had on a bike since starting to ride about a year ago.

From there, we had another big climb towards the highest point on the route, Dawson Saddle, with a now rising moon and lunar illumination just shy of 100%.

We reached Dawson right around 8:30, and things get a bit blurry here, but not in a bad way? I think after so many miles and with a still sizeable chunk ahead, your brain slips into this weird meditative fugue state, and I've never really experienced that before.

I felt like I could keep going forever, but the part of your brain responsible for normal consciousness, speech, etc had been flipped to battery saver mode.

No thoughts, no words, just bomby downhills, the occasional small climb, gorgeous silver moonlight, and more bomby downhills.

The mountains eventually spit us out back into the city, and all told I was back home by 1am, fried but completely content.

I hope my monologuing isn't lame or boring, just feeling super stoked on my first real adventure cycling route and wanted to share :)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Aww, thanks y'all :)

rt4 posted:

How do you eat/poop on such a long ride?

We hit a pretty nicely maintained but empty public restroom in a bougie park we found before beginning the climb up to Lytle Creek and it was perfectly timed.

Food wise, you pretty much make sure you have access to sustenance in your handlebar bags you can nibble on when possible, and then you just stuff your face with calories anytime someone needs to pull over to check a map / adjust something / add a layer, etc. Never don't be eating.

e.pilot posted:

:yossame:

That false flat up to lytle creek is a real rear end in a top hat, just 10+ miles of wondering why you’re going so slow. A lot of fun going back down though.

Definitely, and I only recently learned that phenomenon had a name lmao. There were a few different parts of the route like that yesterday and they make the reality warping field of being on a bike that long even more surreal.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

jalfp posted:

Bike novice here—hoping you all might be able to offer some perspective on picking out a first bike. I've read the OP and poked around a bit here and elsewhere on the web (mostly reading reviews of specific bikes, most of which flies over my head) but thought I should seek out the opinions of enthusiasts who aren't trying to sell me anything.

Prefacing this with the disclaimer that I'm relatively new to cycling also and there's easily a million other more qualified posters in this thread than I, but it sounds like what you want to do is what I'm currently doing on a Salsa Journeyman Sora.

I wanna say I paid maybe $1100 for mine and have since added a new casette and gone tubeless, but it's been pretty rad for just putzing around, tackling lovely pavement, venturing off-road without getting in to full mountain bike territory, and bikepacking overnighters to boot.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Nothing as wild as my mountain adventure route last week but it's cool that more flat 💯 mi rides are starting to not feel too taxing on the body. Pulled the trigger on a Brooks B-17 too so hopefully that'll help with extendo ride gunch pressure after it's broken in.

I did see a rad sun halo and sun dogs for the first time ever at one point on the ride back though! I've caught the lunar version of this but had no idea it could happen with the sun too.

Angryhead posted:

I did my first 100km+ ride today, feeling very satisfied and can confirm the thread title.

Slow and steady :)
Next up, of course, a proper century (once it's a bit warmer outside and perhaps on a less windy day)

👏👏👏

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Turned 32 / am 7 months sober today so took the day off work and decided to go beat my previous solo distance PR.

Today also marks my 1 year anniversary as a bike dork too. My homie forced me to leave my hyperbolic quarantine chamber to go for a ride with him instead of sitting at home alone on my birthday when like everything was closed last May and welp, here I am :dance:

The majority of this route honestly kind of sucked lmao.

The first leg heading out west was fine, if a bit dull, then you eventually turn south onto Hwy 23.

23 is a good chunk of chuggy uphill, and holy poo poo some parts are steep.

Eventually it links up with the east and west portions of Mullholland Dr, which are famously even steeper / curvier / higher altitude than 23 by a good bit, but not on the docket for today.

Looking out towards the coast from the 23 / Mullholland junction.

The drop in to the coast line is a pretty good 4 miles of bomby downhill. Hit about ~40MPH and was very focused on making sure I didn't splat while getting buffeted by gnarly coastal winds. Yeehaw.

Eventually I wound up at Point Dume. Peep the new CA 2 sticker :cool:

I'm generally not terribly bothered by cars or traffic with very little shoulder, but holy gently caress the rich douchebags in Malibu drive like absolute dipshits.

Props in particular to the guy that honked and screamed at me for daring to occupy a precious car space (with literally zero inconvenience to him) for about 3 seconds total because I unfortunately lack the ability to phase directly through vehicles parked in the bike lane. People are wild.

PCH do be pretty tho.

so
smoothly d o th

he cr est . a wi nd
go d !

Objurium fucked around with this message at 06:00 on May 13, 2021

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

RE food on rides:

I usually keep some kind of awful sugary rear end candy in my handlebar bags for quick burn calories if I start to bonk on hill climbs. Sour Patch Kids or the Trader Joe's equivalent are a fave, but OTT I usually average a cliff or protein bar every 1.5 - 2 hours and that seems to work okay for when I'm doing longer or all day rides.

Keep at it!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Apologies if this is a dumb question.

It's getting to be about time to slap some new brake pads on my bike, and I don't seem to be able to track down OEM replacements. I've got Promax 330R disc brakes on my Salsa, and the manufacturer's SKU for replacements isn't in stock anywhere that I can see after some google digging.

There's some kind of sketch looking ones on Amazon that claim to be compatible, but I'm not sure how into random dubious origin products for something as important as braking, and I'm not entirely sure they'd be 100% drop ins to begin with.

Is there an obvious solution or retailer I'm overlooking here? Promax's product sku is PXBP14PD71SSL if it helps.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

spf3million posted:

I've been :f5:ing the NPS website and Tioga Pass Rd ended opening on to bikes on Sunday. So I took Monday off, drove up to Yosemite the night before and rode to Tioga Pass and back the next day.

Hell yeah! Incredibly dope looking ride and I'm now frantically pinging a buddy about doing this soon. Do you happen to know how much longer it'll be closed to vehicles?

Content:

I'm riding 4 or 5 nights a week at the moment and last night realized how much more connected to seasonal changes I feel as a result of being outside way more often than I used to be. I appreciate that a lot.

We had our first balmy late spring night here last night. The skies were gorgeous, the supermoon's lunar illumination was silvery and rad, and even the June beetles bonking off my helmet made me happy.

Bikes are cool.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Koirhor posted:

Lmao ripping sick gains on the trail and a loving bumble bee flew in my mouth at the end of the ride. For now I think he just grazed my lip when I reached my hand in there to get him out, since the swelling is mostly gone.

Dude the looming threat of Bugmouth™ is real. I had a comical amount of flying homies bouncing off my helmet and hands on my ride today and it made me intensely aware of how hard I mouthbreath.

Sometimes they're purdy at least

A windy mountain road I've ridden a few times in the dark was closed to cars over the holiday weekend but still open to cyclists so I figured I'd go do it in the day for once. Was cool being able to take corners a little bit more aggressively just by virtue of being able to see the road clearly in daylight. Imagine that.

Also I broke 600mi in a month for the first time :)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Got shoes and Shimano SPDs today.

Installed and took everything for a test run tonight and wow do I now have million new adjustments to make, but I'm happy with how they feel and how I felt reasonably comfortable clipping in and out on the fly about halfway through a 17mi warmup ride tonight.

I think this has finally pushed me into booking a bike fit though, as I felt like I was getting things dialed in until introducing several new components that now all have adjustments of their own.

Is paying extra for Retül or whatever worth it for someone that just bikes long distances for fun versus doing anything competitively?

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

If you have multiple local options, pick someone with testimonials from different specialities or by people with fit needs that match yours.
The Retul machine is cool, but outside of changing stem stuff, you don't lose that much time in a session using the actual bike you're gonna ride.

You want someone with a good eye for when your pedaling is effective and safe on your body. The video analysis tools Retul gives fitters don't work without that experience.
Like tobin said, different people will arrive at different solutions, but you should trust that a good fitter will get you to a fit that has you pedaling happy on the bike.

I guess the head fitting guy at the place I was looking at works with US Olympic riders in some fashion (which is probably a bit different than the bikepacking stuff I'm getting ready to do) and they've got a ton of good reviews on Google at a glance. The shop didn't really seem pushy one way or the other, and now I have an email chain going with their fitter to see what he thinks the best route for me might be.

Thanks!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Modal Auxiliary posted:

This. I just moved to a new area and was loving the auto-generated routes feature for road rides until it started randomly taking me on MTB singletrack and crowded MUPs. If they'd fix their filtering options this would be the best thing they've done in ages.

I'll keep paying for premium because I love segments and enjoy the training pages, I just wish they'd finish existing features before rolling out new ones.

I'm sure you're probably aware already, but I figured out that you can filter out road surface types on the route builder after Strava took me 2k up a dirt road that culminated in a MTB singletrack fire break it wanted me to take down.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Got my fitting done today and holy poo poo, what a night and day difference.

I have weirdly long legs and a shorter torso and my fitter cranked my seat way the hell up and dropped my bars so that I can actually recruit my glutes properly, and now the power I'm generating feels WILD.

He also got my cleats all dialed in and now the knee discomfort I'd had since introducing SPDs is gone too. Thank you to the chorus of goons ambiently recommending getting a fitting throughout the thread.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Kind of in the same boat with hand and neck discomfort after my fitting. Did 80 miles on Saturday and lower body wise it felt fantastic - I think my legs are dialed in spot on, but I have a feeling I don't have the core strength required to not wind up leaned over on the bars.

Fitter said I should focus on keeping my elbows slightly bent and my shoulders dropped as I tend to shrug them up constantly so that's probably not helping either.

The puzzle continues! I haven't done core workouts since gyms locked down last year so I guess I'll start there.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

As someone who recently had to learn how to unclip and stand over the top tube at lights in metropolitan traffic after a bike fitting, it's really not that bad once you get a feel for it!

Sometimes you nail those push offs when the light turns green and you clip immediately in without having to "search" for the pedal and it feels rad even :)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Didn't hit my goal of 700mi for the month (chosen completely at random) but I bested May's 621 miles at least. Also pretty proud of only taking 5 days off :)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

cebrail posted:

I started the day with an involuntary 20 minute break and the realisation that this new route I was riding has one drawback: Lifting bridges are sometimes, um, lifted.

But then I rode through apple fields for hours which was pretty great.

Stopped for coffee and cake

with a view!

And found this spectacular road.

Then back across the Elbe

and onto the couch to watch other people ride bikes.

Bikes are great.

That looks rad as hell. Jealous of Euro goons posting these idyllic little countryside river trails.

Question for the thread!

Since getting fitted, I've been struggling to find that sweet spot for my new body position that both feels natural and is in keeping with good bike form, but I think I found it last night.

I came from powerlifting-oriented weight stuff when the world ended, so I've got decent core strength (even if it's not close to where it was), and I've been focused on trying to use core rigidity to get the weight off my hands.

Last night I think i wound up flaring my lats for whatever reason, and immediately was like oh poo poo there it is. Making a conscious effort to keep my lats involved seemed to hit the sweet spot for me, my hands felt light, my power generation was fantastic, etc. I guess I'm wondering, is that something I'm
supposed to be doing?

The bits I've read online pretty much only mention core strength, elbows slightly bent and dropped shoulders, and I just wanted to make sure spreading them wings isn't going to wind up loving me up somehow. Thanks!

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Pretty stoked on my current cockpit setup. Decided to go full Rockgeist because I liked the idea of their spacelink attachment system and it's working well thus far!

I know the thread isn't a fan of phone mounts but this Rokform one I've been using owns and I'm happy with how this 180 degree USB-C setup came out.

Did my first longer solo ride in a while yesterday and had to explain to a motorist that stopped to see if I was okay that I was just taking stupid photos lmao

Doing my first week long tour down PCH with a homie in a couple weeks and am excited to drop out of society and exist in the saddle for a few days.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

eeenmachine posted:

That setup looks great! Very jealous of your upcoming tour, take lots of pictures!

Thank you! Absolutely will do.

cursedshitbox posted:

Cockpit owns. If you're fine with your phone on the bars run it. Its your device! Post more about your ride on PCH. I've ridden it countless times on a moto. Cycling it would be epic. Getting motorists to stop and ask if you're ok should be the goal for every photoshoot :D

Bikes are a drug and they are highly addictive.

Thanks! Forgot to mention but the Rokform mount uses a combo of a twist lock and powerful magnet to hold the phone in place on the mounting arm. We bombed a 9mi descent in the mountains a few weeks ago and I had forgot to lock it in while tossing my headlamp on my helmet - got to the bottom of the mountain and the phone's still attached to the mount by the magnet alone 😅 I'm a loving dumbass but it's a testament to the design at least lol.

This is a real rough route estimation, but a friend is dropping us off in San Jose and we've got ~9 days to cruise the ~500mi or so back to LA, give or take. Incredibly stoked because we should have plenty of time to indulge in all the woo woo weirdo poo poo along the coast which is very much my jam.

Did about 40mi this morning on a shakedown tour for the last bits of new gear! Rockgeist came in clutch and got my frame bag out the door a week early to make sure I'd have it for the trip - mega huge kudos to them. Also added Profile Designs Aero Bars for maximum straight line comfy.

This started as a joke between my homie and I related to all the JDM kids that routinely launch their underglow Civics into the various ravines of our local mountains, but it's growing on me 🤔

rep tha set 👽

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Day 1 of tour complete!

We chugged up the backside of a hill for a good portion of the day before finally dropping in to a ~7mi dirt descent through Nisene Marks state park, and as someone who's still a little skittish on dirt since I crashed earlier this year, it was a little nerve wracking - not to mention I only got 2 rides in on the bike with the frame loaded down this heavy.

I don't know when exactly it happened but at a certain point the fear wasn't there anymore, and I hit that flow state where the bike just feels like a natural extension of your body and it was one of the dopest things I've ever done in my life.

Topped out at 38mph according to Strava, which is wild considering how conservative I normally am on dirt, but I was clearly channeling the will of the redwoods, and the redwoods said "send it"

I can't believe I have more than a week left of this stuff. Namaste goons

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments on my Day 1 tour post, y'all :)

I'm home now and am still mentally digesting everything, so I'm going to try not to poo poo up the thread with personal diary stuff, but this experience was loving incredible and easily the coolest thing I've ever done in my life.

Here's the full route, spliced together over 6 days total for 490mi and I think 23k elevation or something.

The Californian coast thru Big Sur is breathtakingly beautiful, and even though I've driven the route multiple times, getting to traverse it on a bike really just immerses you in the landscape to a degree that car travel simply cannot.

https://i.imgur.com/3rUEKOu.mp4

I had worked up quite a sweat on our morning climb during day 3, and decided to ditch my warming layer at the top before we plunged down a massive, fog soaked descent somewhere in Big Sur on the other side. A brisk wind waited for us in the twists and turns, and I tensed on the bars as the chill cut through me - until I heard my inner monologue voice opposition with words that cut even deeper.

"Discomfort is part of being alive, you bitch. Embrace it."

And so I did. I drew the biggest breath of frigid coastal air down into my chest that I could manage, and I felt invigorated in a way that prose even now can't quite convey.

Pretty happy with my setup overall, although I definitely want to find a way to make breaking down and packing up in the morning a little more expedient. Props to the impossibly lovely Amazon special elastic bottle cage straps I'm using on the side of the bike here, which was the best way I found to mount water there with a frame bag and which somehow didn't drop a bottle until the last 20mi home yesterday.

Eventually ascending to its final form as the necromancy bike while I collected more and more native bird feathers to jam onto it.

We lucked out and managed to grab Hike / Bike spots at pretty much every state campground we stopped at, although some of them confusingly were essentially just enormous RV parks which was slightly jarring after being in the wilderness for a few days. Moro Bay State Park was probably the highlight here for the view alone.

Uh oh fashion patrol, certified crushers only. gravel.jpg :biglips:

A friendly cholo tried to buy us pizza outside of a 7-11 yesterday, I think because he thought we were homeless? and that feels like a personal milestone of some fashion.

In short: bikes are good, being an absolutely disgusting dirtbag filth elemental on a bike is good, and living on a bike with your best friend for a week through incredible wilderness is also good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

paberu posted:

Looking for a new pair of shades, has anyone tried or owned both Oakley Prims Road and Prism Road Jade lenses? I'm trying to decide between the two for SoCal - it tends to vary here with overcast morning that quickly become clear blue skies. There isn't much cover or shade usually so I'm leaning towards the Jade variant for the slightly darker tint, but wonder if that's going to make them too dark for early starts when it's overcast.

While I haven't owned both, I've been using Road Jade lenses in the Sutro frame for the past few months and I'm also in Socal. I've not done a ton of dawn rides, but I routinely wear them a bit past dusk with no issues - very happy with mine.

Content: August mileage!