Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

e.pilot posted:

Hi bike thread, in addition to the original trash kit reorders happening after the holidays, I've been working on a follow on, this is what I have so far.

I will probably tweak a few more things but it's most of the way there I feel.

The renders make it look like it's leather, and I'm oddly aroused.

Do you have a render that shows it on a spongily overweight bod?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

My 80sh year old dad wants a bike, what the hell do I tell an old(er) dude to buy?

My sister already said I can’t tell him to buy a Moots that I can inherit.

She's right, you should pick something with cooler paint.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

Dude solo sailed around the world he might appreciate a nicely painted bike.

drat. Well, that's more than I'll ever do, so to be serious what kind of rides is he looking to do, and does he have any joint or back deficits that would need to be worked around?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Apropos of the safety chat above: the design manual for streets in the US is getting an update for the first time in more than 10 years, and the public comment period ends tomorrow. If (lol) you've felt unsafe as a road user, whether that's as a pedestrian, cyclist, skater, scooter user, or even as a driver, this is a chance to let people know what's bad and what would be better. There's a pretty useful comment submission tool at https://t4america.org/2021/03/23/month-of-action-week-4-a-manual-for-safer-streets/
It's got a model comment that you can edit as appropriate, and you can check the comments at the bottom of the page to get a feel for what others have said.
You can find some more info on drawbacks to the current and proposed manual at https://nacto.org/program/modernizing-federal-standards/

Albinator fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 13, 2021

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Hollow Knight screenshot right there.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

*To any american readers, it's a mixture of pork meat and jellied pork fat in shortcrust pastry. About 3" across and absolutely horrendous.
Dear god no, they are absolutely delicious and I would kill for one right now. That pastry...

e: the pastry isn't shortcrust, it's a hot water crust.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I rode my bike today with my 19 year old son, and now I feel both tired and inadequate. It turns out young men are much stronger than old men - who knew?

Still, bikes, so it was a good day.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Not a nutritionist but what is your potassium intake like?

My thought too.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I'm curious about calories and heart rate.

First off, are we talking active calories or total calories? My Apple Watch measures them both, so I have no idea if that's a standard thing.

For calorie and heart rate, what would be bad/average/good/godly per hour? Is per hour the normal measurement?
Power is the thing you can measure directly, so that's normally what we talk about in these kinds of conversations.

Your max heart rate is more of a physiological fact about you rather than a trainable thing - what you can train is how much work you can do and for how long at various percentages of that max. So you can't really say this or that heart rate is good or bad outside of that bigger picture. My max rate is higher than a lot of others, but it says nothing about my strength on a bike compared to them.

As for calories, the estimates are all over the place. Garmin I think will give you something like 800 calories an hour for an "hard" ride. Right now I wouldn't even get to that in an hour long time trial, but bigger stronger people could - this is based on power output measured on a trainer. I don't have a power meter on outdoor rides, but I'd ballpark it for me at about 400 calories an hour for riding around at a moderate pace. But I don't think you're supposed to do the calorie bank account thing where you size the pizza based on how hard of a ride you did!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I'm going to recommend to everyone that they get themselves a nineteen year old son who will not complain if you sit in their wheel for 50 miles. It's pretty awesome.

Seriously, we had a very nice ride today, no big climbs, but about 4000 feet of change. So rollers forever, but very pretty countryside. We demolished every salty carby snack in the house once we got back. He's back off to college next week, I'll have to go back to riding with my grown up friends.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

In a perfect world - Motorist: I'll have what he's having...

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Me and my buds took a ride over the new Fredrick Douglass memorial bridge in DC today, and it is a thing of beauty. No photos (it was super crowded, they were doing a 5k over it so we were pretty much walking the bikes), but I strongly recommend DC riders take a look. It has a nice hookup to the east side of the Anacostia where there's a great alternative to Hains Point if you're looking for your threshold intervals, and just a lovely ride up to the aquatic gardens and Bladensburg past that.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Baronash posted:

Sounds like that's the way to go. I was really hoping it would be something like my saddle was tilted a tenth of a degree too far back or the seatpost is 2 microns too high.
Those things get you sore muscles, joints and sometimes numbness if a nerve is being pressed on, unfortunately nothing like what you described. Hopefully the doc can get you sorted out, it doesn't sound pleasant.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

1000 miles for a set of tyres is pretty low. Are you on particularly rough surfaces?

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah, ninetiesish road frames won't give you much if any clearance for fatter tires, but I rode 23s for almost 20 years and it was fine, I guess I didn't know any better.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Is there a trick for getting that last 10% or so of the tire back over the rim and into the wheel groove? That was far and away the worst part of it, and if I did rip the tube at any point it would have been during my brute forcing the final bit of tire back into place.

Yes, you want to make sure the tire on the far side of the wheel is centered in the bed of the rim. Since that's lower it'll give you a bit more slack to play with, hopefully enough to get the last bit over the rim wall.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Dutymode posted:

Should I pick this up for $50? I recently moved and now have tons of easy access to MTB trails but only have a road bike. I'm thinking a rigid is better than a crappy old spring fork?

I have a hard rock of that vintage and ride it almost every day as my commuter. It is in many ways a bad bike, but it's almost zero maintenance gets me from a to b and appears to be more or less indestructible. It cost me $40 and a bit of work, and if someone wants to steal it, good luck to them.

That looks a bit nicer and would probably be super fun for hooning around trails on. For $50 you can't go wrong.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

nwin posted:

Why did they do away with QR seatposts?

Super easy to steal the saddle, also heavier. Which is not much of a consideration on that frame, to be sure.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Dutymode posted:

Yeah v-brakes are on the short list, along with pedals other than these metal things I had lying around. Ya'll gave me lots of sweet tire suggestions but these were cheap while I see how I'll use this thing. If I really want to turn it into a money pit I've already started looking at 1X / 650b / dropbar conversions.

Dude, I fully supported you getting it and riding it around without a care in the world (the picture is fantastic), but don't put much money into it. Underneath everything it is still a 25 year old frame made of water pipes with manhole cover wheels.

e: that paint really is outstanding. Worth the money just for that.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

My commuter went from about $0.05/mile to $0.0525 today because I spent $10 on a new front wheel for it at the local bike coop's winter sale.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Might break my probation duck for that!

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Perhaps you could rent yourself out as a plough.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

kinda interested to know how the fork is actually attached to the rest of the bike on that one

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

But give it a few decent rides over the next couple of weeks. A bit of arse discomfort is a thing you have to work through if you're coming back to it or just starting doing more riding. That said, beware of any numbness in the area - don't ride through that, but find something that's more comfortable. You don't want any nerve damage down there.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll look into knee/elbow pads and gloves as well for next time as basically aside from the shoulder I landed on and rolled over I just have scraped and cuts.
Gloves yes, because losing skin from your hands when you come off really sucks and gloves can be thin and comfortable, but I think knee and elbow protection is more than you need. They'd be obtrusive to ride with, and have pretty marginal utility in an actual crash.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Mauser posted:

In other news, I just did a two-day bikepacking trip from Alexandria to Sky Meadows State Park in northern Virginia and back, for a total of around 150 miles on the new bike I just put together. Didn't get to do the return route I had planned because my friend was having some knee issues on the second day, but still pretty great trip all around and beautiful weather :)
Nice. Great country around Sky Meadows, I love going out that way.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

wooger posted:

How long are you expecting to take? A garmin lasts ~20 hours at least. But any usb power bank will charge them too.

Eh, depends on the age. I'd be surprised if I got 12h out of my 520 at this point, and definitely not on a cold day.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Looks super like this thing: http://sscycleworks.com/galleries/sold-bikes-frames/ochsner-54-aelle-bike.html. The paint doesn't look as good, but that might be the photo. If it is that model then the tubing is apparently ok to good, but nothing super special, chat here: https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/columbus-aelle-any-good.373157/.

I'm sure if it's in good shape it can make quite a nice bike, but I don't see anything particularly special about it, and $350 would have been overpriced a few years ago. But old steel frames get more of a premium these days, so maybe it's not crazy now. Haggle a bit for sure.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

I started the TR plan. We'll see how it goes for a few weeks!

Funny enough, workout 1 this morning was sweet spot.

I always found the first few weeks of a TR plan were fine but I have a low tolerance for more than 45m on the trainer and would bail on the later parts of the plan because it was asking for an hour plus. But I am fat now, I should get back to it.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I did (Most of) Ventoux as part of the Tour Du Zwift and that was just hell. The Alp feels so much nicer because of the way its presented in game. Wish they did that more with the other big climbs in other worlds.

Ventoux is miserable, just an absolute slog. I did the same ride and can't conceive of going the extra 6k to the top. I'll never get that badge, and I'm just fine with that.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I'm old now but yesterday I got my FTP higher than it was 8 years ago. The 40+ categories are calling
I'm hearing there's still hope then? Seems unlikely...

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

It's obviously your time and decision, but I wouldn't spend 5 minutes on any upgrades to that beyond keeping it lubed. If turning the crank turns the wheel, it's working.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I fully agree with Jockerpilled, but it you really want to, do you have a bike coop close by? That is a good bet for sourcing a replacment crank. They will also have lots of affordable replacment kids bikes, too, but ignore those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpl_wlTBC8k will see you right for uninstalling and reinstalling.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Literally A Person posted:

He likes this frame. Like, chose it himself likes it. I mean if it's not possible that's what it is but I was hoping to go down to something smaller as sometimes when he drops into something vertical the sprocket and chain grind on the concrete.

OK, I understand the attachment; both my kids are long past the little bike stage (and are much more expensive to boot!) but I do remember the time. What I will say there is that their memories are also pretty short, and they'll understand changing if they get a better experience out of it and they're engaged in the process. If your little guy is hooning around that confidently it may just be that he needs something a bit more competent, and at that size it really is better to get a more suitable bike than try to adjust to fit (provided you can afford it). From what I can see of that bike, I think it's questionably a BMX, too. The second hand market can be very helpful; I was serious about the bike coop thing.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Look also at Cult, Haro or Sunday for BMX specifically. Plenty of others, too.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Cycling Tips used to be my favourite bike website until they got into NFT's and fired everyone but it's now reborn

https://escapecollective.cc/

Looks like basically all the staff from cycling tips + the gruber's (famous cycling photographers). I've backed it immediately

Excellent. Also backed this.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

w4ddl3d33 posted:

yesterday i completed my first ever strava distance challenge! i expected to feel some sort of firework show's worth of pride and confidence but it turns out 200km is basically already what i do in a month

Signing up for challenges that you will complete in the course of your day-to-day riding is a long and honourable tradition.

As is my current annoyance, that Zwift has bumped me up to C after totally not enough time in D. Like seriously, no training (or zwift races) for 2 years, just doing my commute; I do a few zwift rides and then decide to do a crit and boom, up you go. Boo, I wanted to sandbag more.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

I got a pair a couple of years back and they definitely came with it. I can't remember if they were already mounted or not.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Flat bars to drop bars (or vice versa) is a more involved mod than you might think, and that's before you get into the whole geometry conversation. You can end up swapping out a lot more than you'd expect to make it work, and at that point it would have made more sense money and time-wise to just get a different bike.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Always happy to get a Bike to Work Day tshirt, and this years is an attractive dark green, so I'm pretty happy. I chose the pit stop by work rather than the pit stop by the house, which was pretty dumb considering work is 8 miles away and today was WFH, but whatever, it was a nice day and I've never regretted time on the bike yet.