Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/08/garmin-shows-off-smart-trainer-integration-on-fenix-6-forerunner-945.html

I asked about this type of thing in the old thread, but it looks like garmin added ant-fec support to the 945 and fenix 6, so I don't have to buy an edge unit or keep using goldencheetah for my workouts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

So I'm looking for a new bike that's pretty specific. Particularly I'm looking for a bike with:
  • Steel Frame
  • Drop Bars
  • 1x groupset
  • Disc brakes, hydraulic, hybrid, or dual piston mechanical
  • 700c wheels, 35-38mm tires
  • Mounting options for fenders and rear racl

I was hoping I could find something around $1500, but there doesn't seem to be much that actually matches exactly what I'm looking for. The closest I've found is the Kona Rove ST from 2-4 years ago and this thing which I doubt will actually be $1500 for its listed components. I worked out what it'd cost to build around the Kona Rove frame set and an apex 1 hydraulic groupset, and it ended up being around 2k.

The breakdown if I'm not missing anything is:
Frame+Fork: $600
Shifters/Brakes/Crankset/Derailleur/Cassette/Chain: $760
Wheels+Tires+Rotors: $400
Everything else: $240

Supply for everything is pretty bare, so it's not likely I'll be able to do anything soon. This doesn't include any tools I'd need--I know someone who has done a build so I can use what they have, but this includes building wheels which is probably a terrible idea. This is a terrible idea, right? I don't mind if it ends up being a bit more expensive than a retail bike as long as I come out with something working at the end and an interesting experience.

Also how trustworthy are the taiwan listings for parts on ebay? I'm seeing a listing for the hydraulic apex 1 brake/shifter set for $250, and they're like $500 new. The seller has >5k feedback, and my understanding is other countries can get parts for significantly less than in the US to the point where EU stores can't ship groupsets to the US. I've seen no shortage of scam sites when browsing, so I'm a little wary.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I haven't found the incredibly cheap wheels that used to be available. The hub/spoke/nipple/rims I have are like $250, while the cheapest equivalent new wheelset I've found is $400 which is what I have for the wheels+tires+rotors. Well not quite equivalent, but for me they are. The tools are the real killer since it's probably like $200+ but then I could splurge on a dynamo hub or something while I'm at it

Used is a different story, but that's the story of every other part too

For wheel building, I'm assuming a good truing stand is a worthwhile investment--is it worth going for the park tool $250 one or is the cheaper home mechanic one or the many other options good enough?

Looks like universal cycles has an option where they'll build the wheels for you according to what you choose. It ends up being about $50 for assembly I think, which is probably a sounder financial decision but not as "fun"

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 9, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:homebrew:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

I find that 1x is rarely in the lower tiers of a model lineup where 1500 is a reasonable price.
Instead you'll get overcharged on janky 2x9 budget groupsets.

The cheapest 1x you're likely to see is Rival non-hydro, and almost nobody specs it cuz of the stigma against cable brakes.
Breezer Radar has one with Apex non-hydro: https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/adventure/radar/radar-x
will have to downsize the tires.

You could try to bring your own 1x groupset to this?
https://www.johnnysportstore.com/2019-Specialized-Sequoia-Road-Bike?search=specialized%20sequoia&category_id=0

I was also looking at the surly straggler, marin nicasio+, kona rove dl, and state bicycles 4130. I could do the same with the state cycles for a bit less but I'd guess the quality/looks are probably worse than the specialized

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

jamal posted:

Getting hard to find though. My shop is out of them and probably won't get any more this year.

Well I got my local shop to order a frame, so I'm doing this dumb thing. Sounds like I'll be waiting until the end of the summer or early fall, but that's fine. This is coming out a use it or lose it budget, so I just need some of it to land this year.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Guinness posted:

The big reason is that it keeps your feet locked in the ideal position over time and over lovely surfaces and you no longer have to constantly micro-correct or think about your foot placement or slip off over a bump or something.

Just to be clear, it locks your foot in whatever position you have the cleat set up for whether it's good or bad. If you don't take some time and set it up to a decent position when you switch to clipless, you're doing yourself and your joints a massive disfavor. It took me a while after I switched to both find a decent spot and tighten the bolts enough that it didn't slip out of position. I don't think what I have set up is perfect yet, but it's close enough and it's a massive pain to make adjustments since there aren't any markings for me to line up.

Not slipping off is the #1 reason I got clipless--I've scraped my shins so many times on metal platform pedals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

:stonklol: