Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Stop-Start has been a thing for about a decade on some models and I haven’t heard any long term, widespread issues with engine or starter wear, but I’m sure FCA will find a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Just a plan to ship of thesus your bike to the bike (and price point) you really wanted but couldn’t justify.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The ebike thread is over there.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

The office I'll be commuting to once things open up again is about 30 mins away via bike and I've been looking into getting one as it seems like it'd be a lot nicer vs sitting in traffic. The problem is I live in Pittsburgh and will have to climb some pretty steep / big hills every day and was interested at the prospect of an ebike to boost me up hills while I pedal the rest of it. Why are ebikes a hard no?

:ssh: There’s an ebike containment thread.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Avalanche vest over your jersey.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Vando posted:

The point I was making is that not every tire/wheel combo goes on in the same way, not that it's some weird impossible task. My next step was to take it to a shop where they have a compressor, because they have a use for such a tool.

If you have the ability to collect $100 tools for edge cases where you've happily used other tools in the past, good luck to you, that's not me, stop trying to tell me I'm missing out on something here.

collecting $100 tools for edge cases is the bicycle maintenance thread’s mission statement.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

~~~speed holes~~~

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Talk to me about tailgate pads for bikes? They seem good, but i have a vision of launching all my bikes under a semi after hitting a pothole at 80 mph on the expressway.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I’m seeing a lot of fat bikes on my local fb classifieds and I’m looking to buy for the winter. What’s a reasonable discount for a ~3-5 year old bike given everything going on?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I haven’t looked but I’d be really disappointed if people aren’t doing vinyl wraps for bikes. Anime girlfriend transport isn’t just for the four wheeled.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Samopsa posted:

Just ordered my first ''real'' bike after having tons of fun on my budget triban road racer the past two years.
A giant TCR 1 disc (ultegra). One of the last ones available at the moment in size S, goddamn the supply problems are real. Otherwise I would've gone for the 105 version, or a defy perhaps, but eh.

Gonna turn my triban into a commuting/touring bike. Gonna add a rack, flat pedals, and some semi-permanent mudguards.

I love my magene heart rate strap for the price. a third the price of a wahoo/garmin strap but works just as well. It might take a while to show up though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32916104775.html

You can get similar from Amazon for the same price on prime now. Amazon has captured the relaxed IP knockoff market space; it is a bummer because it isn’t as interesting as shopping on aliexpress.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Also with a chest mount you can pretend to be darth vader if your chest pulse sensor was insufficiently dorky

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

bicievino posted:

I mean, there are a number of things wrong with the product, but none related to the memes.

I mean, it's a perfect computer mount for seriously vain cyclists.

Vein, surely?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I ride mtb so I have a special accessory that moves my seat out of the way so I can stand even more.

I don’t have a dropper yet

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Does that bowling alley shoe spray disinfectant actually work? I feel like that’d make the $30 ebay shoe options more appealing.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What kind of massive portapotties y’all got in PA?

Have you seen the average PA resident?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I cannot throw stones as I am a Midwest resident at this time

That’s the best time to throw stones! No one hates the midwest like the midwest. Narcissism of small differences and all that.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

We’re a nation of coal rollers and 1kw cb radios, donks and carolina squats, street racers and hypermilers drafting 3ft behind semis, rules lawyers and HOAs. Coherent, effective regulation around ebikes is difficult to conceive of here.

I like the accessibility but I worry about ebikes on MTB trails and dense urban MUPs for the same reason I worry about a dirt bike or moped there; the speed difference increases bad outcomes and sightlines and turns are not set up for higher speeds. I went to a university that had pedestrians and regular bikes on the same pathways and there were so many collisions every semester. I can’t imagine what the outcomes would’ve been if the bikes were going twice as fast.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Many years ago at the aforementioned university an acquaintance bought a gas powered skateboard and it fell into the same category of neither road nor sidewalk legal. Turns out you can’t sneak around with a 2 stroke weed whacker motor around bored campus cops.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

There are things like velosock or bike covers for covering your bike when in a hitch carrier. Is there any similar thing that just covers the handlebars/fork/front wheel for use with a tailgate pad in winter? I’ve seen enough corrosion from road salt that I’d like to keep it off.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

There’s an e-bike thread here in TGO that could probably be able to help also.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Steve French posted:

I have ski boots with BOA. It’s not the only sport where they are used, they’re also extremely common on snowboard boots.

Heh; I had to check that I wasn’t in the ski/snowboarding thread when the topic came up here. (They generate strong opinions there, too.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

If you’re not buying https://www.bicycling.com/news/a34906756/specialized-hotwalk-carbon-balance-bike-for-kids/ for your lil shredder, do you even love them?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Hadlock posted:

I saw an ad a while back that kids first bicycles weigh ~33% of their body weight. That would be equivalent to learning to ride a bike on a 60 lb bike for me

Is there any benefit to teaching a kid to ride on a specifically light weight bicycle

The bike forum people think so. I think it matters what you’re doing with them. Tooling around your new-build Illinois subdivision that used to be a cornfield and a topology that geometricists use to calibrate planes? No worries. Moderately hilly neighborhoods? Mountain biking? Lighter probably helps.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Eejit posted:

They say the Equip-D isn't good for off road. We sometimes have to get a bit rough when we take the MTBs places. Should we just stick with the heavy duty? Or can the equip d handle a bit of off road?

What are you driving? I think it’s for the serious off-roaders concerned about approach angles and such.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

vikingstrike posted:

Never buy MTB tires.

The first time I saw studded fat bike tires more expensive than truck tires it was an eye-opener.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

My flywheel was new, within the last 6 months I'm sure and apparently it's already shot and the new chain apparently won't properly fit it without replacement. :(

What? My bike maintenance knowledge is mostly watching park tools videos but that doesn’t really line up. How far did you bike in 6 months?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

SMDH if your fingers can’t tighten any fastener to specific torque in n-m.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

CopperHound posted:

If you value your time or or not particularly handy, I would suggest you start by asking local shops what ebikes they are willing/know how to work on.

I can't say I've been impressed by ebike review sites because they are almost universally incapable of critiquing physical build quality.

They suck at reviewing ride quality too.

The ‘good’ ebike review sites are just usually just restating the press release and spec sheet. Even if they went to the trouble of getting a demo/press bike, bad reviews don’t get referral commissions and mfrs stop sending bikes to you.

The bad ones are just gpt-3 rewrites of the good ones.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I heard most garage doors are very easy to break into, but I don’t remember the specifics.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Looking at a used carbon fiber bike for the first time. What should I watch out for? I’ve seen a lot of “is this scratch on my cf bike a big deal?” “It’s fatally compromised rip” style posts and I’d like to avoid that.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

The various odms are a good analogy actually. Some Dells are Dell designed. Some are reference designs from Intel. Some are codeveloped by Wistron or Quanta. Some are off the shelf from Inventec with a Dell badge. Most are not built by Dell.

If you Kramered into the laptop thread and insisted Apple was actually owned by Foxconn and they were the same product, you’d get the same response as “Trek is actually Giant” is getting here. That bikes are all built in a handful of factories in Taiwan or China wouldn’t be a surprise in 1994.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I know people that ride 5” tires in unpacked snow but have roughly same pace and efficacy as wearing someone giant clown shoes.

I have a fat bike I do most of my mountain biking on but I would not take it on what I understand an average gravel ride distance or pace.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

pulling handfuls of greasy moz out of my jersey pocket and shoveling it into my face

:italy: national team secrets

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah during covid supply chain issues spec sheets were suggestions, at best.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

Any of the flat pedals with replaceable metal pins and the cheapest pair of 5.10s you can find a deal on.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I realized I could’ve got bike parts I need from the house clearance today if I’d ordered earlier, when I got served an ad that had the wrong size of the part for sale (the right size is sold out now.)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

There’s always a mtb style trail bell. It lets the hikers know “here comes a special boy” with a lot of notice.

I prefer the podium to the purist; the nozzles wore out on a bunch of purist bottles we had.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I have the park tool bench mount stand and an Amazon bottom barrel stand if I need to do something outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

I need to start following gpx files on mtb rides. I normally use strava but free version doesn’t support loading them afaik. What’s the best non-subscription ios app? I don’t mind paying but I don’t want to pay Outside yearly or whatever.