Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

My last ride outside was on march 14th, it sucks.

On the bright side I've had 4 months of consistent turbo trainer training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Good Dog posted:

Hell yeah you're gonna be stronk as heck when you can get back out. Figured I can use the lack of races and group rides to actually try structured training for the first time.

(Actually our fitness will fall apart over winter without ever getting a proper outdoor season, when we're still stuck indoors and get the usual motivation loss and put on weight from the Holidays)

My ftp is up by around 22% so I am pretty happy. Most importantly, I've been training sustained efforts so I can actually maintain that for some decent time. Not having group rides and not being able to go outside has been a great factor for correct training for me (plus its winter here anyway). I'd recommend you give it a go.

Also:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1134825335567110144

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just signed up for a 7 day, 1100km and 15000m of climbing ride for next march (Chile - Argentina - Chile).

It’s gonna be awesome (if it’s not cancelled)

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 12, 2020

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

jamal posted:

made for a 465mi, 50k foot week. I was close to that like 9 weeks in a row but I doubt I could do it for a whole year.

Nice!

I got this climb that starts just 7 miles away from where I live

After that you can keep going for another 13km for an additional 600m of climbing (https://epiccols.com/climb/vallenevado)

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 24, 2020

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

That looks like great fun. If you did the bulk of the climbing already you might as well keep going.

You need to plan for it if you intend to do the last 13km, when you start the climb it can easily be 20-30c (around 800m above sea level). At 3000m it’s usually 0-5c in summer, if there are no clouds.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I'd say stop once an hour for a few minutes to get off the bike. Ditto on the food, never stop eating.

Unless you're gunning for a 5 hour century, just take your time.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Sold my Niner rlt 9 steel, felt kinda sad because that bike was :krad:

The good part is that I sold it for 110% of what it cost me 3 years ago and next week I am getting the replacemente bike (3t Exploro).

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

The 3t isn't steel though :confused:

I got a backup steel bike so I am covered!

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 12, 2020

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Went out riding on friday on what I was told would be a chill ride with a small group, ended up not being chill at all.

Yesterday was the club ride, I thought I'd stay with the 2nd group due to the previos ride but ended in the 1st because all the top riders decided to join and I ended up sticking with them. We ended up with a kom on a 43km segment. Well, the guy at the front did, I was holding on for dear life not to get dropped.

And today I went out with my wife and her friends on what I was told would another chill ride, 100km. Ended up being 130, and I had to pull the group most of the time, 30°c and headwind on the way back.

I guess I should know better by now that there are never chill rides.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

New bike:

I may need a longer stem, going to ride a bit before deciding (frame is size XL). Its a fast bike on pavement, havent had time to hit the gravel yet.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Rode 155km yesterday with a 19 old local sub23 national champ. Utterly annihilated, dude didn’t even break a sweat and never once switched to the small ring (last 35km had like 1500m of climbing and his big ring was a 54).

We have good riders in our group but the kid was just on another level.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Weembles posted:

I'll accept suggestions where every single man doesn't have huge sideburns and Eddie Merckx, but both are appreciated.

Not all are what you are looking for, but I liked these:

Sunday in hell
Hell on wheels
Slaying the Badger
Icarus
Wonderful Losers
Lance
Rising from ashes
Bicycle dreams
Pantani: The Accidental Death of a Cyclist
Chasing legends
My italian secret

Also a good short series on Netflix: El dia menos pensado

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Got invited today to do a route that I do often, but at night. Managed to keep pace with the group on a gravel bike, and not only did I set my best time on the way up, but also on the way down.

I guess I go faster if I can't see where I'm going. My light choise was inadecuate.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I knew it was going to be a fast ride today but I didn't expect it to be near race flat out fast, but I did get my first ever kom:

And I definitely hate flat courses, just can't beat a good climb.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

I recently saw a post about Schwalbe Aerothan tubes, and wanted to splurge on those. A little more reading showed that they posed a slight detriment to your rolling resistance:
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/updated-aerocoach-inner-tube-tests-conclude-latex-is-still-fastest/

Nice link, I only knew about tubolito (got myself a pair a few weeks ago). What the article didnt mention is how compact the polyurethane tubes are, which was a big selling point for me (plus the puncture resistance).

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

My lbs drills frames all the time, but then again they are certified by all the brands they represent (Colnago being one of those) and have decades of experience. I've had 2 frames drilled by them to install an external di2 battery, one of those wasnt even designed for di2. They reinforce the holes with o-rings of some kind (metal or alum I guess).

Would I drill it myself with my dremel? Nope.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Fatigue has finally caught up to me :(

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Last weekend we did a ride

3 days, 360km with 5k climbing, starting at 2400m above sea level up to 3500-3800m. We did this same route in 2019. Disclaimer: all are club members, everyone with 2nd vaccine (country reached 80% of the population vaccinated so this trip was made possible by easing of local covid restrictions).

Hardest day was saturday, we started with rain and 2-3C° temps and then we got some snow at around 3500m above sea level where thermic sensation was well below -5 at that point. We were better prepaired this time but it still was really loving cold (in 2019 we got hail at this same spot, on the same day). All this while you are grinding up this relentless 21,36km with 987m of elevation climb starting at 2400m up to 3400m.

Then the sun did come out and all was well.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Lex Neville posted:

That looks so good! Holy poo poo. Amazing shots and sounds like a great ride too. Were you the designated photographer?

We had a support car, the driver was also the photographer/mechanic guy.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Nothing sucks worse than a massive climb where your core temp is up, your clothing is soaked in sweat, and then you rip down a long descent with no pedaling. Maybe I’m a baby but I’m absolutely freezing and it’s definitely not great to be so distracted by your ice cold hands when you’re doing 50mph+

Yeah, I start shaking like crazy and wobble, and your hands are so frozen you can barely move the levers to brake.

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

A plstic bit broke inside my rear brake's quick release assembly, I managed to find 1 replacement on alixpress but its going to take it 2 months to arrive if it ever gets here.

I'm thinking of just changing the whole brake assembly, I have ultegra r8000 rim brakes, would the dura ace r9000 rim brakes work fine?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, it’s that plastic ring next to the spring o the photo. It’s what makes the little ball lock the mechanism when you open/close.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 15, 2021

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

:krad:

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Did my favorite route, from Pucon to the border of Argentina. Its about a 20 min car ride from where I've been living the last few years.

(This one is from today)

https://i.imgur.com/ik66cYX.mp4

Thats an active volcano, Lanin. Today I also realized that I live within a 100 miles of at least 9 volcanoes (all active). Near the border its also full of Araucarias, which I recently learned that in english they are called monkey tail tree (or monkey puzzle) and I can see where it comes from (sadly we have no monkeys here). Not much traffic year round, even less now with most touristic borders closed. The roads are wide and in good conditions.

Its almost a hidden gem, not many people do this route to Argentina because there are better alternatives for cars.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 16, 2022

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Passed 4k altitude today! Reached a max of 4032m (started at 2500 tho)

Here is where I went:

The highest visible peak there is the Licancabur volcano. Doesn't look much? Thats a 5916m summit.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 1, 2022

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I’ve been told it goes up to 4900, so that’s on the list for some other time.

I’ve also been investigating and it seems like I can bike thought the ALMA center here and pedal up to 5500ish on the roads they have there for the antennas.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 2, 2022

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

A few weeks ago I went to the desert to ride a couple of days:

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Grumpwagon posted:

Might steal this for my phone background if you're ok with it

no problem!

cursedshitbox posted:

What an incredible ride. What were the temps like and how far did you go?

All the pics are from an area of like 50 miles around where we stayed. For being a desert, the surroundings are quite diverse. Temps for this time of the year were 15-20°C, going down to 0-5° once you pass 3500m of altitude.

spf3million posted:

Thanks for posting your ride photos in these threads, amazing as always

Thanks, its one of the perks of living in Chile.

El Laucha fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

I rode around 800km in the mountains in Italy on alloy rims with tubolitos during a summer heatwave. I was worried about them failing but had 0 problems (and my braking technique is very subpar)