Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I rode my bike yesterday for a long time and it was good

e.pilot posted:

You’re in the wrong sub forum my friend

Everyone now has to qualify trainer chat by saying they intend to use it outside

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My Tickr heart rate chest strap is starting to act up, even after changing the batteries it's reporting the same heart rate for 4 or 5 minutes sometimes and never a rate below 120 bpm.

I'm looking at getting a Tickr fit to replace it, but seems like it could be awkward to wear with long sleeve jerseys. I know lots of people here have them and seem to like them, so maybe that's not such an issue?

The other complaint I read was about non-regulation tan lines :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This post, now in the correct thread:
This old Quintana Roo popped up on facebook, and I can't help but admire those bars. No listed size, but it's listed as having 650 wheels and being "too small" for the current owner to . It looks to me like it's a 650 front 700 rear from the picture. I really don't need to throw $250 at an old TT bike that probably doesn't fit me, but a part of me certainly wants to.

:gonk: so many possible but unusable hand positions

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

e.pilot posted:

lol look at this guy that never rides down big hills, never rides in the wet, and never rides with carbon wheels

I'd also like to add sandy areas to this, wears rims and pads down so quickly

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

e.pilot posted:

And now for the goods :popeye:

Phwoar :discourse:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I shaved part of my leg to put kinesiology tape on and uh... smooth skin feels great :sparkles:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

4 years ago you guys gave me the push to do something I'd always wanted to do, which was design and make my own kits. I did it on my own with far too little money behind me and just a handful of friends backing me up. I learnt some horrendously harsh lessons but at the same time I can now count a Track champion as a friend and I got my stuff on Olympic Gold medalists. Not bad for a guy who just wanted to make bonkers stuff for himself really.

Snagged one of the last Café jerseys. I've loved my kit since I got it back then, sorry for the returns hell I put you through (via Yodel :commissar:) by ordering a size too small in the bibs.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Unrelated dumb question: what do folks think about standing while pedaling? I had no idea there was controversy around doing so until I saw this Stack Exchange post .

I only learned to ride in my late teens, so standing while pedaling is one of those things that didn't get learned well. I've been generally capable of it, but have always been weirdly uncomfortable doing so. Until the last month, that is, when something apparently clicked in my brain and it just intuitively works in a way that it never did before. Super useful for getting around the city in mixed traffic, particularly getting started at traffic lights.

If you have to stand up to accelerate like mentioned in the Sheldon post then yeah your saddle could be badly positioned or you're routinely in the wrong gear, but standing up and pedalling itself is fine imo. On longer rides I'll stand up and pedal for a minute every 15 minutes or so to keep myself mobile, I live in the flatlands so there's no natural points that I would otherwise.

I'm thinking of getting a new bike as an end of phd/new job reward, very into the idea of one of these:

Reviews for the previous frame iteration say that they're a pretty harsh ride for titanium though, so think I'll wait for reviews of the new one.

Other options are a Canyon Endurace or similar racey endurance bike. I think a more relaxed geometry would suit me better at this point, my pedalling mechanics are still a bit off on my TCR even after 9 months of physio. All my long term knee problems were down to tight hips and not being relaxed enough apparently

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Crumps Brother posted:

Are the inchworms as bad everywhere else as they are here this season? I don't think it's ever been this bad before, but lately every ride I do ends with me picking off handfuls of the little bastards for the next 15 minutes. Ugh. One inchworm is cute, but we're working with now has tipped the scale way over to the gross side of the spectrum. :barf:

I had a bright green caterpillar fall on my bare arm cycling the other day. I tried rinsing off the spot where it landed it but it was itchy as gently caress until I had a shower.

Not cool caterpillar!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I was cranking my bike with one hand while adjusting the barrel with the other to fix a rear shifting problem and I somehow got my index finger between the chain and sprocket and the sprocket tooth punched a hole in my finger nail. Feels great!

Closest thing I did was when I was trying to solve brake rub on my front disc. I was spinning the wheel with one hand, holding the fork up with the other trying to find the spot and absentmindedly relaxed my index finger which went into the disc rotor. Cut about halfway across the nail :gonk:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Very cool. I should've made use of cycling in South Wales when I lived just across the Severn but never did.

Did my longest road ride in a year (a measly) 40k but its progress, felt mostly good so I'm happy. Relaxing my hips seems to be the key thing that keeps knee pain away.

Had two minor problems though:
Whilst the spurcycle bell sounds great the majority of cyclists here are 65+ ultra-tanned old Dutch people who don't seem to be able to hear the thing

My wahoo heart rate strap has given up any pretence of actually working so think I need to get a different one

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
On my commute yesterday a guy came past me on an old road bike. With each pedal stroke it was like he was drifting, i.e. front and rear wheels misaligned, looked pretty unstable.

He was overtaking pretty carefully so not sure if he just thought he was unstable generally or realised his bike was hosed. What was the actual problem with his bike though, loose rear hub/wheel in the dropouts?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Would I notice much speed increase going from Schwalbe G one allrounds (in 27.5x1.50) to Gravelking slicks? This would be for my commuter.

I'm slow as heck in general on it, usually average 20kph putting in a reasonable effort. Think I'd be doing 30+ on my road bike for the same effort. According to rollingresistance.com the higher quality version of the tyres on there now that they tested are pretty slow already (although I have them at a higher pressure than you can view the resistance for in free mode). There's lots of other power loss sources on there, through the Nexus 8 hub and from the belt drive, but maybe I can increase my speed by 2/3 kph for the same effort.

E: duh, bike also has front and rear always-on dynamos so I'm probably losing energy from that too

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 20, 2021

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sab0921 posted:

This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

https://twitter.com/Twonius/status/1410285500544475145

In places where infrastructure is sufficiently good (at least here in NL) roadies all ride on the bike paths, so I think it only applies to places where there are paths but they suck.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

to be fair it also tends to be them/us if you see a cyclist ride on the motorway, to skip an otherwise inconveniently sharp turn or most of a roundabout or to benefit from a smoother surface etc

That's true yeah, I guess it would happen less if e.g., the bike path follows the roundabout smoothly though at least?

Weembles posted:

American bike paths have as much to do with Dutch bike paths as the mock airstrips cargo cults built have to do with international airports.

Edit: And for much the same reasons.

Yeah you see the same "on paper" bike paths in the UK, especially where they're done by local towns/council's. Compared to the UK the rebuilding necessary here after WW2 "helped" in that roads were generally rebuilt to be a lot wider, so less restructuring was needed to accommodate the initial wave of bike paths. But I don't think that excuse exists in the US given the roads are gigantic already. There's other factors ofc like flatness of the land.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Pre open your bars.

Don't try the stroopwafel equivalent of this (unless you like soggy salted caramel)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I had that quite often on longer rides when I first started cycling, and still get it sometimes when mountain biking. I think it's mainly from gripping the bars too tightly or having my wrists at an odd angle (pronating my hand as if pushing toward the underside of the bars with my forearms).

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Those are some big changes, watching the gif you had a massive amount of toe down before the fit so definitely looks better now.

When my fit was off that much I ended up with a knee injury and some bad muscle imbalances. Granted, I apparently have a 1-2cm leg length discrepancy so that may lead to more knee problems when fit is off. Good thing to have made the changes, may feel weird cycling for a bit though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
That sucks a lot, but it's understandable. I've had similar feelings after crashes (far more minor than yours) and it took a quite a bit of time for the desire and enjoyment to come back. At the same time though it's okay to not cycle anymore and find a different hobby that you can fully enjoy and doesn't make you feel that way. In the end, to me, it's better to do what makes you happy and feels sustainable, rather than doing something because its something that defined you previously (not that that's necessarily the case for you). I.e. "I must cycle because I am a Cyclist".

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I usually just use my pump, but I also got the topeak smartgauge d2 since I wasn't sure whether to trust it (turns out the track pump is quite accurate however).

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Not sure about the new crank, the r8000 wasn't any better looking though and I prefer the grey to black.

Bit of a scoop for whichever news site notices that picture first, I don't think there's been anything about the new Ultegra yet.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My upper left thigh keeps rubbing on the nose of my saddle on my commuter bike, doesn't happen on others. Weirdly only seems to actually become sore when I wear a specific pair of bibs. Can't work out if it's something I should/can change in my fit or if my legs have become so muscular (fat) that it's unavoidable

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

George RR Fartin posted:

A bit obvious, but I find I ignore obvious things until I've exhausted the unlikely ones first, thus wasting tons of time: is the seat slightly askew?

Already double checked this unfortunately. I guess I could make it askew in the opposite direction to account for the rubbing, seems like a bodge though

For more info: I had this saddle on my MTB previously so don't think it's that. Maybe the Q factor is different between the bikes? Haven't tried measuring it. Pedals are also identical. Saddle height is the same, but think my saddle is further back on the commuter, which is a possible cause, so could try moving it forward 1cm or so. Main difference between the bikes is the commuter has 6cm lower stack, so I'm rotated forward a lot.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If you look at the bibs of guys riding in front of you, you’ll often see them offset a bit to one side of the saddle relative to the vertical seam line on the back of bibs. You might be adjusting yourself over without realizing it’s happening.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/04/the-right-side-bias/

Anecdotally my fitter told me that guys favor one side because of how their junk is positioned in the bibs. Maybe those bibs are causing you to be shifted over even more to the side, causing the thigh contact.

Yeah I do find it tricky to make sure I'm straight on my saddle and do a reset to make sure my sitbones are planted, so could be slipping to one side without noticing

I don't think my wonky junk has much to do with it though :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

I rode a bike and it was good.

:same:

After 23 years of injury/muscle problems I've been cycling consistently for 3 months, with constantly lowering pain levels. So am very happy with the progress

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

serious gaylord posted:

Does anyone else see a Canyon Aeroad in an article or advert and immediately start humming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI_Jl5WFQkA

or is it just me?

I don't really want/need an aero bike but would absolutely get aeroad just because that song goes off in my head every time I see the name

Shame about all the problems with the new one

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I had to change a brake housing recently, but that was also after nearly a decade of use in all weather conditions.

It's a ton easier if you use one of the magnet tracer things

The parktool picks have super strong magnets you can also use to pull wires through the frame, and they're really useful in general (not just for bike stuff)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Ihmemies posted:

gently caress. Does anyone make large SPD or SPD-SL shoes?

I have here insoles of Inov8 trail runners (below), 5-10 kestrel lace (orange, middle), Bont riot+ :airquote:wide fit:airquote:. All size EU 48.

Bont was terrible POS. Never again anything from them. Adidas 5-10 was long enough, but too narrow and not enough volume for feet. It felt like putting my feet in a vise.

I think the Inov8 trail runners are "EE" width (Inov8's claim) and they are wide enough. Also they have lots of room in forefoot but sadly they don't make SPD or SPD-SL shoes.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks.

My feet are off the scale in width for most shoe brands (>EEE), the shoes I found that most suited them were from Lake, specifically the CX 241 which have a stretchy mesh with leather sections that tighten down over the top. I also tried the extra wide CX 237 but that didn't work out well.

Sounds like yours aren't so bad, but they generally do a lot of wide lasts for all the types they offer. Only downside is they start at pretty pricey and go up from there.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Dictator. posted:

Considering upgrading my 2017/2018 Giant Contend SL to the 2021 Giant TCR Advanced with disk brakes. Anyone have experiences here? Most reviews seem very positive.

The only disadvantage I know of is that the rims are hookless, so your selection of tyres is very limited. Also availability but that's all bikes rn

e: as samopsa pointed out that's the Pro model's carbon rims, normal advanced is fine

RE this:

Samopsa posted:

I bought one this year, love it. I got the ultegra edition, great bike. Put on 32mm tires (panaracer gravelking slicks), didn't love the ones that came with it (they were fine though). I upgraded from a 3 year old aluminum endurance bike with 105, and the giant feels fast and smooth. Can't think of any real downsides besides the price! Would've gotten the 105 edition, but availabilty is/was crap so I spent a bit more to get my bike this year. If you have specific questions let me know.

Are those rims hookless? Those tyres aren't on the compatibility list. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/global/hookless-technology

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 20, 2021

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Samopsa posted:

I think that's only true for the carbon rims of the TCR Advanced pro models, not the 'regular' TCR Advanced line. This bike comes with alu clincher rims (PR-2) instead of carbon (SLR-1).
The differences between the pro and the regular are carbon vs alu rims, carbon vs alu steerer, and the pro comes with a power meter.

Oh yeah of course, forgot it was only for the carbon rims

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Is it true that aero helmets are quieter? I noticed that my oldish Bontrager something is both really bulbous/ugly, and quite loud sounding. Maybe the aero helmet thing is just hearsay though.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Doing the Tour de Dumoulin tomorrow morning, only the shortest route (80km) but it's gonna be my longest ride in 3 years.

Hoping the weather isn't too bad, seems like it'll be 18/19c but drizzly with some harder rain, which is hard to plan for.

Should be home in time to watch the 2nd half of Paris Roubaix :getin:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'm aiming at getting electronic shifting on my next bike, but with how expensive bikes specced with it have become in the last couple of years that may be a while.

Heliosicle posted:

Doing the Tour de Dumoulin tomorrow morning, only the shortest route (80km) but it's gonna be my longest ride in 3 years.

Hoping the weather isn't too bad, seems like it'll be 18/19c but drizzly with some harder rain, which is hard to plan for.

Should be home in time to watch the 2nd half of Paris Roubaix :getin:

Got soaked through and really muddy but had a lot of fun. Climbing rules. Going to train up for the 180km route next year :v:

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

for whatever it's worth, motivationally speaking: you know what, if you do the big loop next year, i will too!

also, great effort! no small feat, that :)

serious gaylord posted:

gently caress it, I'll come over and do the big loop next year too.

I'll try to hold you both to this

It's a cool event though, even met the man himself at the finish line (and scratched his/his familys dogs ears :3:)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My canyon commuter has a lot of front disc rub problems I'm trying to solve. It has hydraulic brakes but a QR axle (:argh:), and for some reason (this is probably the core issue) the hub seems to shift over time, moving more to the left. The tightness of the QR seems to be a big factor, so perhaps it's loosening and allowing the wheel to shift a bit in the dropout.

I could reposition the caliper, but then I would just be allowing the wheel to sit off centre. Otherwise I can just keep resetting the wheel, but I have to do this every week or two at the moment which seems stupid. I'm also worried that any movement in the dropouts is going to cause them to wear away and make this problem even worse. Any ideas on the best course of action are much appreciated

This just seems like the standard QR+disc brake nightmare though, I probably wouldn't have gone for this bike if I knew it had QR for the fork

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 12, 2021

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

The hub should already be preloaded and not have any lateral play obviously, so I would track down that problem. Other than that this is a common issue with QR+Disc. Peak Torque will use nonsense to explain why there's no difference in system stiffness between TA and QR, but he is kind of a moron.

Anyway, make sure the endcap "axles" are sitting all the way in the dropout and use a reliable steel skewer like a Dura-Ace or Ultegra one.

As always, perfect alignment and truing rotors should help mitigate the problem. When alignining calipers you really need to just eyeball it at both edges of the pad by looking down from the top/front and also the bottom/back.

The hub moving seems to be more of the problem than the alignment of the rotor itself, although changing either could solve the rub noises I guess. When I first set the wheel up and tighten the QR the wheel is dead centre, however I have to apply some pressure to the hub on the rotor side, so that when I tighten the skewer the rotor is centred in the pads. If I don't do this then the wheel is off to the left, as seen from the spacing between the edges of the tyre and the front mudguard. Of course I am currently assuming that the mudguard is centred and the caliper is too. After several days of commuting though I may hear squealing front the front rotorr when standing up and I can see that the tyre is no longer in the middle of the mudguard.

jammyozzy posted:

This got buried in the tubeless doctrine war, but something feels amiss here. If you haven't already I can highly recommend getting some Shimano internal cam skewers, now I've used them I won't put anything else on my QR bikes.

They range from $ to $$$ but function the same, I've got some Deore and Ultegra labelled ones and they all work equally well.

Based on both your recommendations I'll get hold of a new Shimano skewer and see if that helps, not sure what is on there currently but doesn't look at all like those.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

kimbo305 posted:

So the wheel is tilting to one side over a few days? I thought by your description that the whole hub was shifting over, but I can't imagine that being noticeable at the tire.

Does it wobble left-right when you move it by hand? Does the degree of wobble change depending on how tight the skewer is?

Seems to move over time yeah, although the wheel seems (mostly) true, without side to side wobble when I spin the wheel.

No noticeable wobble/knocking feeling in the hub when I try to move the wheel by hand. I can see the rotor moving in between the pads when I apply pressure to the rim though.

Right now the tyre is 5-10mm off to one side relative to the mudguard when looking from the top, but the rotor is centered in the caliper.

So it could just be a particularly flexy fork/rim causing rubbing during corners? If the wheel is otherwise correctly mounted. Will still order a new skewer, the current one is Shimano but non-groupset

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tarmacs have had a recall so mine is out of action while the shop find time to replace the expander, but that's ok because it's NEW BIKE DAY :toot:

Frame arrived on Friday, and the bar tape and saddle arrived today as the finishing touches. Shimano 105 except for the crankset (Ultegra) and the brakes (Avid BB7). Will the white bar tape get mucky? Yes. Was it half the price of the others of the same brand? Also yes.

Wanted to use a bigger front chain ring if possible, but the extender wasn't happy with the tension running through the cable, so the 58-46 will have to wait for electronic shifting. A pity, as it's basically the size of one of the wheels and looks hilarious.

Now for a quick spin to make sure the wheels stay true (my first time making a set, unsurprisingly it's hard to get disc brake - QR - 11 speed - 406 wheels off the shelf)

Weighs in at 11kg and has identical position to my Tarmac, which as I'm tall looks hilarious on a folding bike.

Very hot and transportable bike. Ever since I saw a British racing green BMX as a kid I've wanted a bike in that colour. I even had a dream where I had a matching bag and kit :3:. One day!

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

kimbo305 posted:

Unless you have your pads really really tight to the rotor, that suggests the hub has loose enough bearings to allow that kind of tilt around the axle.

Either there's still enough tolerance in the pads that even though the rotor is tilted, it's still not rubbing, but it will with more use and further tilting
OR --

Maybe... the blades of the fork are able to shift a bit and steadily drift under use but somehow get reset when you redo the skewer.

I think the bearings are much more likely. With cone bearings, redoing the skewer and tightening everything will have the expected behavior of centering the hub around the axle and thus centering the tire in the fork. If that's the reason, a stronger skewer would hold things together for longer, but ultimately you'd want to adjust the cones, if possible, or address the bearings (replacing the whole wheel might be worth it or more possible over having the bearings serviced).

TobinHatesYou posted:

A flexy rim won't cause this. Your rotors are attached to a solid chunk of metal (the hub) and not the rims. Either you have incorrect preload on the bearings, play in the bearings, a flexy fork, or aren't doing your QR tight enough. Also you should spin your wheel and let it coast...are your rotors still wobbling? If so, you should true your rotors anyway.

The bike has about 1000km on it since I got it new in June, I noticed this from the start though so don't think it's wear related. The hub is a DH-3D37 dynamo, since it's Shimano it definitely has cone bearings right? Have never tried adjusting the bearing but will look at how and give it a go

Re: flexy fork, the reason I mention this is that when I undo the QR fully the fork spacing expands by quite a bit (5-10mm maybe?), far far more than the fork on my road bike.

The rotor seems to have a little wobble when I spin the wheel, but (due to the dynamo I guess) it only completes a couple of revolutions so it's hard to eye it up. There didn't look to be any contact with the pads though.

Seems like my best course of action is to get a better skewer and also check the bearings and see how that affects things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Lex Neville posted:

I just signed up for the 150km Amstel Gold Race for next year. You know what to do which is put my rear end to shame by doing the 200km or 250km!

Unfortunately signing up does not necessarily mean you get to take part, so fingers crossed

Registered also, I think 2x my most recent long ride is enough

Better start cycling some more