Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I have a fancy looking saddle (only cost 25 bux tho) on my city bike and I worry some ill intended wanker is going to nick it.
Has anybody tried filling in the hex heads with glue or sealant or some other thing that is not permanent but is enough to deter somebody ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Turned my city bike into a trecking bike and turns out the straight bars are getting old after a while.
130km of asphalt and a bit of gravel along a canal in the south of France.

It was more or less always like that except when going trough towns, so it does get old. I think as you get more toward the mediteranean sea you have a more open view of the surroundings

I should have gone with 2 half full bags rather than 1 full, balance was weird. But those aero gains...

Plenty of water locks (boat lift?) everywhere, making this canal must have costed a fortune back in the day.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 6, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Canyon is teasing a gravel adventure bike
https://www.canyon.com/en-fr/canyon-launch-event/?utm_source=row-newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=back_in_stock_gravel_teaser

I found it surprising that the Grail had no rack support at all

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
How come a bloody radar to look behind you cost 150 bux but a freaking strain gauge to know how hard you are pushing down cost five time that ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
This is indeed a very cool photo !

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
The thing Komoot really need is some sort of heatmap like strava.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I thought a Garmin Fenix 6 pro would be the only device I'd need for all sports but it is so poo poo for guidance during cycling that I'm seriously considering selling it for a Wahoo Bolt v2 or similar and put the change toward a varia radar.
The fact that the Fenix menu are so confusing doesn't help it.

How good is the guidance on those wahoo ? the review I looked at make it pretty decent.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 10, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

what if you live at the tip of a peninsula at the end of and island?

cross winds, side winds, head winds, tail winds. turn a corner and roll the dice. they are mostly westerly, mostly.

loving wind. does anyone know what it actually is?

Reminds me when I lived in Portsmouth UK. 360 wind and 10km of city trafic before reaching the countryside I do not miss that place for cycling. However the wind do keep the mosquitoes away!

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I moved to an area with some serious climbs and I am really bad at climbing mountains.
My casette is a 11-28 and I have a ultegra 6800 short cage rear derailleur. Shimano says 28 is the largest possible casette but I want a 32.
Some people wrote on the internet that on their bike the short cage work with a 32 casette.

What are my options ?
If I try it with the current derailleur and it doesn't work, do I need another (longer) chain once I buy a long cage ?
Derailleurs are hard to find these days, can I use a shimano 105 R700 or ultegra R8000 with my older 11 speed ultegra 6800 shifters ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

Get a Wolf Tooth Road Link. I have a 6800 medium cage RD which supposedly maxes at 32t and with the Road Link I was able to use a 42t cassette. You shouldn't have to worry about blowing apart the RD with a 4t jump.

The Road Link just drops the RD down from the hangar and is relatively cheap and easy to set up with some B-screw adjustment.

This is brillant, much less trouble than getting a new derailleur !

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

Like Vando said, the RD you have can probably fit a bit larger cassette than officially stated so perhaps try the cassette alone first and see it it works. Shimano understates the max capacity for their road stuff as far as I know.

Also as Vando said, make sure your chain is long enough before anything else.

I’ve got to buy a new casette so will also get a new chain. I hope that if I got the new chain and it turns out not working without the hanger extension I can then fit the extension without needing another new longer chain.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I watch too many GCN video and now I really really want a bike with electronic shifting, disc brake and carbon wheels.
Please tell me I’m an idiot, i already have a 2015 bike that run fine.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

wibble posted:

I've ordered a new bike but it wont be ready till November :(
Anyone else with a big waiting list for their new bike?

Thanks to the posters in here I ordered a Cube Agree last night that should be delivered later this week.
Sram Force Etap and carbon wheels for 4000euro almost seems like a bargain these days.
I can't wait !

Krogort fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 29, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
So I have recieved my new Cube and it does look awesome.
But it also look like a kid bike compared to my old Canyon

I measure 1m77, 84cm isneam, long lower legs, short torso. The cube customer support said I was inbetween 53 and 56 so I went with 53.

Giant size guide said I should get a TCR size M and it's pretty much the same frame geometry

I have like 1cm of saddlepost left before hitting max length.
It's too small isn't it ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
New bikes are coming out in shops with SRAM Rival Etap. They are anything but cheap and cost more than Ultegra DI2.
I thought that Rival was like 105 ? Was SRAM always more expensive than Shimano ?
It’s still 1 gear more and less câbles than Ultegra DI2… but 600g heavier.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
BMC Roadmachine
Or maybe the DI2 was 2021 ans the Rival a 2022.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
If I get a Trek Domane with 2 sets of wheels:
1 with 28mm tires, 35mm carbon rims and a 33 cassette for the road
1 with 38mm tires, alloy rims and a 36 cassette for gravel

Can I swap both wheelsets and keep the same chain ?

I'm also worried the Trek Domane would be too sluggish.

Other option at the same price is a BCM Teammachine SLR 4 with 40mm mavics wheels. It looks faster but not as comfy.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

EvilJoven posted:

Depends on the drivetrain and what you're running for front rings if you're running a double. Because my cross and gravel bikes both have 46/36 on the front going from a 28 to a 34 hasn't been an issue for me but if I were to try that on a bike with a road crank it wouldn't work in small small.

It’s got a double front: 46x33
It’s sold with a 10-36 cassette, which I want to use on the gravel wheels.

Sluggish as in a bit like a full suspension bike without lock. It seem that half the internet think the domane is slow.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

bicievino posted:

Krogort, what kind of riding do you want to do with this bike? You're posting a lot of different types of biek, from skinnytire-only endurance bike (the Cube), to full on racebiek (the BMC), to could-almost-be-a-gravel-bike (the Domane).

Hard to know how to offer input without knowing what you want to do.

South of France roads, so generally good surfaces and goes from moderately hilly (difficult to climb less than 400m over 50km) to actual mountains.
I don’t race and I do solo and group rides of 50 to 100km depending on the mood. Sometime I might do some longer rides as part of a trip but it’s unusual enough not to matter.
I think a sporty endurance bike with 28mm tires would be best to be honest, but the Domane caught my interest because you can easily turn it into a gravel bike.
Except there are no gravel roads here, even farm roads have asphalt, sometime bad asphalt but still rideable with a road bike.
I am also very limited by what’s in stock.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 9, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
In the stores they said that I could fit either on a endurance or a race bike.
Odly enough they put me on 54 BMC Teammachine, 54 BMC Roadmachine or 56 Trek Domane (Emonda 56 out of stock) depending on the shop.
The guy from the BMC shop was a skiny racer and the folks at the trek concept store did not seem very knowledgeable about road bikes, they wouldn’t even let me try the Emonda 54. But they do give you discounts without even asking.
Tried a Giant TCR and they put me on a ML, but it wasn’t available at the spec level I wanted, might be next month.
Only shop left to check is a Specialized only store.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Head Bee Guy posted:

I’m finding my neck gets really tight and sometimes painful after long rides.

Any stretches or warm ups people have found to prevent this?
Make sure you are not tilting your head backward more than necessary; you only need to see the horizon at the top of your field of view.

It gets better after you get more used to being on a bike. You can do plank and other core exercices, it helps.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Math You posted:

Anyone have recs for a good 700x32 mixed use tire? Probably ride a 60/40 road/gravel mix on this bike.

I'd like something that rolls and is fairly plush, while maintaining a decent level of puncture resistance. Not set up for tubeless on this bike if that's a consideration.

Finally wore through enough of the schwable marathon plus I put on this bike like 8 years ago, and am very much looking forward to replacing them. Never got a flat on these bastards but that's about their only good quality. That and the insufferable number of miles it took to wear them significantly enough to consider replacing them.

The Marathon Supreme are better rolling and are lighter than the Marathon plus. Might want to check them out.
But they are no gravel tires.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
At those ranges, having lower gear is mostly about how fast do you want to pedal downhill.
If you just coast above 40km/h it will be okay.
Same with road bikes, few people bother to pedal after 60km/h it’s already well into scary territory.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

Hill stuff

Great trip report and great climb !
Im not sure I would have made it to the top with such lovely weather, congratulation !

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Contrary to more technical clothing like jackets I don’t think it’s important to put lot of money in jersey.
I have a fancy Mavic one and it’s no better than my cheapos DHB or Decathlon.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 20, 2021

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Captain Log posted:

Can someone enlighten my dumb rear end about what is meant by dentist?

Dentist are presumably rich snobs and road cycling is the new golf.
Rich snobs like fancy SWorks or Sirvelo so they can shame people for being poor and unfit at the coffee sho.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

This is an interesting thread, though I'm not sure it's true - the crux of their thesis is that there is often poor cycling infrastructure because the squeaky wheel cyclists are hardcore roadies who don't want to use protected bike lanes because it slows them down. Though I have never spoken to a single cyclist, hardcore 25 mph roadie or not, that didn't want safer protected cycling infrastructure. Those who want to go faster will just use the car lanes at higher risk.

https://twitter.com/Twonius/status/1410285500544475145

Can’t they make good bike lanes that allow to go fast instead of narrow death trap with lovely surface ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

poemdexter posted:

I rode 4 miles to get to the start of my group C ride, pulled the entire 30 miles, and rode 4 miles back home. I then proceeded to throw up probably the entire volume of both my water bottles. Now I'm very curious why I'm sipping water constantly during rides if my body never absorbs it.

I have the same problem… with booze.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Food stuff
Somebody here suggested doing flapjacks a lot of pages ago, I finaly gave it a few try and I can confirm this is awesome nutrition and is very easy to do.
Also the recipes seems very open to adaptation: more or less fat, more or less suggar, cooking time, so you can make a lot of variation and you will have a hard time ending up with something bad.

I also tried those with bannana as filler and it end up more like a cake than a energy bar but it is still good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMJEIiWV3VQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTH-isW6Wk

You can seriously cut the fat compared most flapjack recipes you find online, I went as low as 250g Oats, 100g sugar, and 50g butter (+some honey, dried fruits and seeds) and it ended up good.

All in all it probably take 15minutes including washing up and 20-30minutes cooking time.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
My new bike finaly arrived !!!

It looks awesome and is very dynamic. But it has a longer reach than my old endurance bike so it's a bit agressive even with max spacer !
The Trek store had tons of bikes in stock, but the salesguy was on holiday and it was a mechanic doing the sales and the service was very minimal, no bike fit or anything. Which is a shame for a 4300 Euro bike.

It also came with a powermeter, yay more numbers to tell me I suck !

Shifting is awesome, brakes are a bit meh, I hope they'll get better as they wear in. They make some weird noise after warming up, and I'm not talking about going down mountains or anything.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Sab0921 posted:

That's a pretty bike - congrats! That drive train looks so good all shiny and new, consider never riding it so it remains pristine.

I am happy to report I did ride that bike and the drivetrain is now, much less shiny.
Managed to beat my local loop average speed by a wooping 0.1km/h, that is 4k euros well spent !!!
~aero gains

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

bicievino posted:

I know? You posted a picture of it.

(snark aside: I ride a lot of fixed gear, and have never used a lock ring.)
Not even on this bike

That is a lot of gold and star and stripes, Are you like a US national track champion ?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

osker posted:

Have any of you made the jump to SRAM eTap? I'm looking at the Rival eTap AXS since it goes for about the price of the an Ultegra group and it comes with a power meter. Is this electronic shifting thing a fad? Am I looking for problems since there are no actual problems with modern shifting cable systems?

My trek Emonda has Rival Etap and it is great.
I found 2 issues that may or may not be issues for you :
1. It is heavy
2. The brake levers are very far from the bar when in the drops, you can adjust that but then you can pinch your finger between the bar and the lever when braking on the hoods

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

osker posted:

Thanks for the insight folks.

Do you know if there is a difference in geometry when you step up to the Force/Red shifters? I think I would be ok with just using their distance trim feature and maybe modding the hood cover so I don’t have the biting gap.

Weight is like at the bottom of my list since I personally can and/or should lose several kg before I start paying bike companies for the privilege of shedding grams on my behalf.

Right now I have a 30lb tandem and an 11 year old steel 8speed Alfine hub commuter so a carbon frame and modern everything will feel positively nimble.

I’m also currently leaning towards an ican x-gravel frame since it has a wider wheelbase and mount points for front and rear racks so I can head out north of nyc and bike camp

Some reviewers seems to prefer the Rival shifters to the Force ones, so it might be very people dependant.
I like to have my levers relatively close and easy to reach so this doesn’t help.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Have latex tube always been so expensive ?
Here in france they cost about 20-25 euro. I wanted to get a couple so I can carry two tubes instead of one in my saddlebag but drat that is a lot...

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
I finaly got a gravel bike to complement my road bike, I chose one that is pretty beefy since I'm not going to ride much road with it.

(sorry about the headtube spacers, I'm probably never going to slam that stem)

I know nothing about MTB stuff and I am a bit confused with the front wheel thru axle.
The fork is from Rockshox and the axle seems to be in 2 parts: 1 that gets loose and is the actual axle and one that is much smaller and seems to stay on the fork when removing the axle/wheel.
Of course they both needs a different allen key.
How am I supposed to tighten this axle ? the user manual is very confusing, do I need to tighten both side ?

Unfortunately I only gave it a test ride in a nearby park as today I took the road bike to the Pyrenees to climb some Tour de France roads, including a Cat HC and a Cat 2 climbs.
I am quite happy that I managed 198 watts average on the first climb and 190 on the second but the downhill was quite an unpleasant experience.
I have SRAM Rival disc brakes (ETAP AXS) and they are complete crap compared to the shimano GRX brakes of my new gravel, I have to press them hard, they squeak and the stopping distance is terrible.
The bike is less than 1 year old, how do I know I need to get them bled or get the pads replaced ? Can i expect better performances from better pads ?

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 30, 2022

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Can you take pictures of what's going on?

The axle looks like this, the small part thread in the fork and the big part thread in the small part.
This is weird and very unpractical compared to the rear wheel axle that is in 1 part and has built in handle.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Speaking of nutrition, I've just discovered home made rice cakes and they are very cool: cheap as heck, quickly made, good carb profile and very easy to eat on the bike.

The most basic recipe is :
180 g round rice
360 ml water
cook 20min (low heat, covered)
salt (half a tb spoon)
sugar (2 tb spoon or more)

But you can (and should) go fancy such as what the pro team cook do
https://efprocycling.com/tips-recipes/team-recipe-on-the-bike-rice-cakes/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7bWKK9G7E

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
After bleeding them and swapping pads, I realized I will never be comfortable descending mountains on my SRAM Rival Emonda.
So I did a tour of the local bike shops to see what they have with Ultegra and one of the dealer is doing -25% on S-Works Aethos Framesets.
Also in europe it seems to be possible to get almost any bike in a reasonable ammount of time these days.

I can get a bike built with 12 speed Ultegra di2 and Alpinist CL2 wheels for 8.8k€, this goes quite a bit beyond my original budget (6.5k).

Is this common to get such deals ?
And more importantly, will I notice a difference between a sworks frame and a "regular" spesh frame ? Or possibly will it be significantly easier to sell in a few yers (enough to retain the delta price in value) ?

Aethos Expert in Ultegra DI2 is 7k€ so this is quite a price hike for some better carbon in the frame and better wheels.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
They don't brake at all for most of the lever course then all the brake come rapidly at the end.
And there is no contact point to adjust so I have to have the lever far from the bar or else the shifters will hit the bar before I can put enough pressure on the brakes.

I have entry level Deore on my comuter and GRX on my gravel and those, although much cheaper than my road bike, do brake much better and are much more confidence inspiring.
I'm also a wimp and still brake a lot in mountain descents...

At first I thought about getting a Ultegra groupset but since it cost 2.5k to get one installed (probably a bit more than 1.5k after selling the old groupset) I also look at getting a new fancier bike.

Then a Giant TCR or Propel but none are available untill late in the year and I'd rather get something before the summer.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 7, 2023