Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

all i want to do is ride bikes with my friends :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

ive convinced the triathlete that ive been seeing to buy a proper road bike :cool:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i love solo riding too, but i def miss the big saturday world championship group rides.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

just lol if you havnt eaten a cold mcdouble in the pitch black with ice cold January road water from your front tire spraying directly at your face

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Riding the bountain mike today.

First time in like a year.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Time posted:

What pedals do you all like for being able to ride with normal shoes but also go clipless at times
SPD-SL

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

My 2 hour bike ride ended up being 2:45 min and I almost bonked so hard in the last 45 minutes and proceeded to absolutely inhale a Michelob Ultra when I got in the door. I hate being that hungry cause my stomach is in knots and I barely want to eat more than a nibble or liquids for like an hour after. Shoulda brought a gel. :(

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i wore a deep v rim down so much that the metal on the edge of the rim ripped itself apart in the middle of the night

that being said i went out of my way to get the rim brake version of my cervelo r5

also that being said i wouldn't recommend a rim brake bike to anyone other than pedantic fucks like me, ill keep riding rim as long as its available

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

who's riding bikes this weekend?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i may even shave my legs for the whole "bike racer" experience that i vaguely remember something about

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

fender bike? i just use an rear end saver. :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

It’s easy to tell who’s rolled though trash juice and who hasn’t.
drafting a garbage truck is also ill advised

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

kimbo305 posted:

It’s easy to tell who’s rolled though trash juice and who hasn’t.
my friends westie rolls through trash juice all the time

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Arson Daily posted:

The fact that you use kilometers in your post indicates to me that you may live in a place that actually sweeps the roads and doesn't have a populace that trucks around unsecured loads of old building materials and broken glass. Plus the southwest where I live has a plant called a goathead which is part of the caltrop family of invasive plants that leaves these little 3 pronged spikes of hate everywhere in the spring. The fact that I can get through an entire ride on one tire/tube is actually pretty amazing because the roads I ride on are very, very..............very not good.

edit: I might actually stop and take pics of all the crap I try to avoid while riding the roads around here. I've...seen things you people wouldn't believe
yah the southwest ive heard is murderous on tires, i knew a guy from my city who rode in arizona for a while and just said "gently caress it" and rode thick slicks lol

my city is decent for road debris for sure too, but i also ride lots of "road bikes off road" kind of crap

all im saying is that ive had a really good run so far with road tubeless with the pirelli cinturato (winter) and the gp5k (all other seasons)

not even close to as good run with the schwalbe pro one...

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Might be doing some track racing this weekend. Flying 200, kilo, and individual pursuit.

I've never raced any of these events, or any event on a velodrome actually! Is 50x15 going to be decent enough gearing or should I find a heavier cog?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

It depends how fast you are! Generally folks who are new to the track are slower because of control issues, but also have slower legspeed, so a bigger gear isn't the worst. That said, the feeling of dying in too big a gear is IMO worse than the feeling of not being able to go faster because you are spun out. Evaluate your goals accordingly.

Flying 200 you will probably feel quite undergeared in a 50x15.
Personally I currently run a 55x13 for the 200. I would recommend at least going to a 50x13 if you only want to change one thing. Maybe 50x12.

Kilo is tougher for me to recommend.
I run a 54x14, but I've got a pretty good start and can get on top of it. I would suggest trying both a 50x14 and 50x13 and seeing which feels comfortable for you to get on top of safely in time for the turn.

50x15 is a relatively light gear for a pursuit, but if you're a spinner it could be solid. Might be smoother with a 50x14.
Thanks, sounds like I should put a bit heavier of a gear on the bike.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

the Shimano SH-XC5 is a proper shoe that you can hike in or drunkenly walk around a city when someone steals your bike after you locked it up outside a sketchy kareoke bar at 3 am after drinking all day at an alleycat race

and it goes on sale a lot, they are more of a cycling shoe than a walking shoe but the tread is good, they are fairly flexy, and laces are nice.

otherwise there is the classic

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/the-legend-reborn--shimano-s-25th-anniversary-spd-sandal.html

i mean i think im going to buy a pair of those drat sandals at this point and sometime in the far far future actually do a CX race in them

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 19, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

no no no

DO wear socks in them

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im going to get those socks and SPD sandals for the 2025 CX season when i can finally get obliterated in masters (our CX series considers masters race age 40) by all the dudes in their 40s who do "testosterone therapy"

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

went on a group ride on tuesday and had a sensible chuckle at the sound of all the plebs rubbing their disc rotors during the sprint section while me, a sophisticated aficionado of the rim brake experience, could clearly hear the slight creak of my press fit bottom bracket without the shrill scrape of rotors in my ears :smug:

:can:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

How'd it go?
i forgot i was a masters and masters start was earlier than i wanted to wake up that saturday lol

:negative:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

bicievino posted:

bummer.

Next time!
They should be doing some more events before end of the summer, and I'll plan accordingly. I was like 4 tall PBR's deep when I found out my actual start time was not 3 pm but actually 9 am. Getting old! :corsair:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

did a 40 km in 1:05 tonight. down two minutes from my last effort. still need to put deep section tubs on my bike. would love to shave off another couple minutes before the end of the nice weather.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:
Just ran over a cool nail on the bike lane while on the way Tuesday night group ride thus ending my longest no flat streak at 9,262.2 km. :mrwhite:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

new kit day :woop:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

im at work :colbert:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I used to time my rides with an hour glass before I got my Forerunner 305.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

regarding bike handling just watch vincenzo nibali bomb hills set to euro techno

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

tubs mount day 1

my DA C50 tubs have been stretching some veloflex roubaix for 2 years now, i intended to put these on my focus izalco max but i got hit by a car and that bike is now crunched, that suit is going to trial but i digress

i took a look at the wheels and they are in good shape (they wernt on the bike when i got smoked)

used a wheel stand and a heat gun and a custom made "tub scrapper" to scrape and smooth and remove excess glue from the surface

i also managed to get rid of those rattling boogers from the inside of the rear wheel

then i added fresh glue to both the rim and the tires and i wait until tomorrow to mount them

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 29, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

That's an awesome deal and it will fit you, it's even a tad on the large size for your height but it will work. Buy it. There's nothing more than the obvious to look for, it's a deal no matter what. The computer and mount alone retail new close to the whole price of the bike.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 29, 2020

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

So I have really gotten the cycling bug this summer. I'm on my GT Karakoram Sport hard tail MTB, bone stock.

I'm putting between 10-20 miles on average a day and have been thinking about what to upgrade. I'm doing mostly urban rides with some trails here and there.

Would simplifying my drivetrain with a 1x setup be worth it? New bars? The fork sucks and I plan to upgrade that. Brakes are getting a bit squeaky and I could definitely use better tires. Its a nice starter MTB but there's clearly alot of room for improvement. :shrug:

your bike has done you well and don't put a single more dollar into it.

if you plan to upgrade the first question is what is your budget and the second question is what do you want to use it for.

you say 20 miles a day mostly urban with some trails and im thinking all-city and the space horse.

https://allcitycycles.com/bikes/space_horse

its a "road style" bike but its got big tires and disc brakes and its made of steel and you can't kill the frame even if you try. my brother has one. its the jack of all trades bike and its a great deal. you can definitely take it on gravel trails with no issue.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

INTEGRATED DISC ROTORS
https://cyclingtips.com/2020/08/bikes-of-the-bunch-rob-englishs-english-road-bike/

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

nm posted:

Integrated seatpost but disc brakes are a bridge too far? I hate bikes.
disc on road is an answer to a question that no one asked

:can:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

New bike for m'lady friend.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

vikingstrike posted:

Where are the brakes???
integrated disc rotors :cool:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

funkymonks posted:

Why would anyone want to only ride on the road?
It's the road bike that goes up to the watershed gate and back in less than 4 hours. I've outrun gravel bikes. Not CX bikes mind you, I'm talking about the big name gravel bikes. You think 31s and rim brakes are fast enough for you old man? Wheres my beer.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

compressioncut posted:

Brother, the day I had to say goodbye to a beautiful and expensive set of Campy wheels because the brake track wore through was the day I fully bought in to road disc.

That said if you want primo carbonne rim brake wheels for cheap these days, browse any buy/sell group for the dentists and lawyers divesting...
i paid $100 for my durraché carbonara tubs. :cool:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

e.pilot posted:

I hammered around Lake Tahoe today and missed the KOM by 4 minutes, hell of a ride though

https://strava.app.link/n2eN1a3iw9

Started at sunrise.

Hopefully my last ride messing with clip-ons on a road bike, going to be building up a TT bike v soonish.

this is awesome im going to try a personal hour record in the next little bit and im shooting for a speed like that in one hour let alone three

but i have been spending the past little bit of time finally getting my deep cabons, my skin suit, aero bars, and a new chain all sorted out, all the tiny details

i know i can do 36 km im hoping for something close to 40 km for a sorted attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Chinatown posted:

Snagged a single speed on CL to bomb around in the city with. Really enjoying it and I'm in good enough shape where moderate hills aren't that much of an issue.

Sweet! Cinellis are cool bikes and with those proper road tires you have on there you are gonna rip. :madmax: