Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

my legs are killing me from riding my bike indoors yesterday

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Benson Cunningham posted:

Alright. Been looking at a lot of bikes. Everything I really liked had a flaw...

Grail CF SL 7.0 - $2,500k, out of stock
Haanjo 7c Carbon - $2,800, out of stock
2019 Salsa Warbird - $2,600, out of stock (called)
Terra C Ultegra - $2,800, out of stock

Any thoughts for something similar that might actually be in stock ? Looking for something I can ride fast on lovely roads and trails and 1-2 times a year take on a multi day, light touring trip. The 2019 Warbird was really promising, but no one has those in stock anymore and the 2020 version doesn't have 105s (2x-11)

does it have to be CF? steel is real...real good

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I think the limitation is that he wants 2x

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Artelier posted:

My dad got into cycling the past year and has bought two bikes in that time. What's a good birthday present to get him to encourage his hobby that could be a surprise? I thought of shoes but getting the right size might be tricky.

like the posters above mentioned, cool swag! Awesome water bottles, nice lights, a bike computer/sensors, bike bags (top tube/stem bag for snacks, handlebar bag, saddlebag) that match his bike, new grips or bartape, electrolyte mix or bike snacks, feedzone portables book (cook book on how to make bike snacks) and the list goes on. If your dad is ultra nerdy and wants to do his own maintenance, the Unior bike mechanics book series written by Denise Belzil is loving great.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I ordered the trash panda skinsuit from jakroo, took a little over a week to get

Development
Jun 2, 2016

mila kunis posted:

Heading to a local shop that my friend recommended to check out some options. Any opinions on any of these?

https://www.bikesonwheels.com/collections/bikes-hybrid

BOW rules. they’re great folk and will help you find a good fit! I think fuji hybrids will be fine - the key thing is finding something in stock in your size.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Sab0921 posted:

I have really enjoyed using the bike to get my lungs back post COVID.

I have a Giant Hybrid, which works well I guess, but when should I take the leap and get an actual road bike? How will I know if I've maxed the potential of my hybrid and it is worth it to spend a lot of money on a fancy road bike to go along with the hybrid.

buy the bike that makes you want to go for a ride on it! who cares about potential maxing, get out and have fun.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

numberoneposter posted:

Does the duck have a name?

ducky mcduckface

Development
Jun 2, 2016

golden bells posted:

My customers buy hardtails for the baby trails in my flat, gentle county and complain about any minute texture in their rides

How do I tell them that maybe off-road riding isn't for them without threatening their rugged lifestyle image??

tell them to stop running tubes and to go to the plush low psi tubeless life

Development
Jun 2, 2016

jet sanchEz posted:

Would take some better photos but I saw a millipede down there

edit: holy poo poo, I am a slob

aaaa that 3rensho :shittypop:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

e.pilot posted:

I just drop everyone and laugh maniacally inside when they inevitably fall off.

as a lady, I can’t wait to do this with my new watts I gained from training during shelter in place :getin:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

incoming kimbo post on how obed framesets are actually rebranded carbonda frames

http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/80.html

Development
Jun 2, 2016

buy a single sided crank arm powermeter to use with a dumb trainer

stages: $299 https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/stages-cycling-shimano-105-7000-single-leg-power-meter?sg=501
4iii: $279 with promo code https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/4iiii-105-r7000-left-arm-powermeter/rp-prod187252

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Head Bee Guy posted:

Looking to get a neat headset cap to add a tad of flair. Any suggestions on where to cop one?

How else do people style their bikes?

you can get one personalized for pretty cheap or you can get one of these and put your favourite beer cap on top. otherwise, I would check twin six, team dream bicycling team (sold out) or Mash SF (store on break right now).

there's lots of fun ways to style your bikes! bags (handlebar, saddle, whatever), ironic stickers, water bottles, tool kegs, cool looking bar tapes etc.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

James Woods posted:

Yeah it's not exactly light but I'm coming from a steel frame so it shouldn't be too bad. Later on down the road I'll probably upgrade to a Unknown or if I feel like spending some real money a LOW. I'd love to give business to my local brick and mortar shops but unfortunately parts are super dry all over the city.

squid is just over the bridge

https://www.squidbikes.com/collections/ready-made/products/so-ez-gold-splatter-size-52

Development
Jun 2, 2016

spf3million posted:

I vote for getting what you want.

+1! Get what you want. If a road bike is what you're into, get a road bike.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

spf3million posted:

Overall a down year for me on the bike. I lost a lot of commuting miles due to WFH in the spring then significant "essential worker" travel in the fall. Still had some successes: extended my streak of strava gran fondos to 48 months, started my first structured training regimen in the summer, completed the 6 bridges 300k, attempted (and ultimately bailed on) my first 600k, survived a scary fall at relatively high speed without any lasting injuries, finished the Festive 500 for the first time, set a PR on the local mountain climb (on the last day of the F500) and set a new elevation record this year.

Goals for next year include continuing the gran fondo streak, riding some brevets and getting an indoor trainer before next fall. Happy 2021 everyone!

I saw your Mt. Diablo ride, what a way to finish F500!

Development
Jun 2, 2016

siiiick! this bike is hot! :shittypop:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah but most 29” “BMX” bikes aren’t really built like BMXs at all. A lot of them seem to have geometry somewhere in between BMX and road bike

https://www.sebikes.com/products/2021-big-flyer-29

I've tried an SE big flyer and I could not imagine riding that thing for more than a couple km. You're probably never going to find a BMX bike with actual rack mounts because people usually put the saddle height extremely low.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

"quick you gotta attack to cover the gap!"

:patriot:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Less drill more eTap before you regret it :shittypop:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

iospace posted:

I saw this and thought of development:

rude

Development
Jun 2, 2016

bicievino posted:

Just here to say, forums user vikingstrike is killing it.

:same:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Sab0921 posted:

I thought we all just rode trainers staring at trainerroad graphs while posting.

cool thanks for making GBS threads up the thread

Development
Jun 2, 2016

ZF; ZF dema shot

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Yeep posted:

I finished the Celtman this weekend and got a 50 minute bike split PB, some of that was better fitness but a lot of it felt like it came from switching to a proper TT bike. I managed to stay in the aero position for most of the ride but was definitely coming up onto the horns much more than the other riders around me, especially on long or steep downhills and in crosswinds. I get some of that will be confidence but they also seemed to be getting pushed around a lot less by the wind even the ones with deep section or disc wheels. Is this something I can (or should) spend money on if I want to get faster? I've got Shimano RS500s at the moment that I got a phenomenal deal on in 2019 which are neither aero or particularly light but it looks like I'd need to spend over £1k to get anything much better suited which is going to be a hard sell, especially as this is supposed to be my last Iron distance for a couple of years.

renting aero wheels for races is not an option near you?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

iospace posted:

Make sure you send your dork discs to Development though.

:argh:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What’s the point in having SPD shoes where the cleat isn’t recessed under the tread? That’s the whole benefit!

spin bikes, my dude

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Salt Fish posted:

Carbon fiber is for poor people who can't afford personalized lugs.

:whatup:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

wooger posted:

Anything not Shimano is off brand unless you’re buying high end road clipless pedals.

LiSSi here boy, I ain't got Time for your ATACs and quick shitpostin'. A bad SpeedPlay. Look, I don't care what kinda watts ur outputtin Crankbro, but 'yer wrong.

o-KeO dokie?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Raenir Salazar posted:

A bike fit where I live is about the price of a recumbent bike; without any guarantee it would help.

not true. you live in montreal right? ibike I think is pretty competitive for pricing, $145 CAD gets you pretty far. https://www.veloibike.ca/en/our-services/bike-fit/

Development
Jun 2, 2016

solarNativity posted:

Already buying parts - got an adaptor coming to put my headlight nice and cleanly under the stem on Cervélo's integrated GoPro mount thing. I won this headlight and taillight set from Knog in a Bicycle Times giveaway back when Bicycle Times still existed.

:five:

gorgeous

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I love my power saddles. I have a lot of them. One thing to note is the comp and expert levels have more squishy padding while the pro and s-works have thinner and firmer padding. Not sure if you have a preference but worth noting.

I have the s-works power with mirror and it rules. I like it a lot more than the power experts I have.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

solarNativity posted:

I'm looking for some new road shoes, but I have big honkin' feet, so I'm looking for something that runs wide. I ride SPD-SL exclusively and I'd be interested in upgrading to something with Boas. Preferably something available in white or mostly-white colorways. I've been eyeing the Shimano RC series, since my current Shimano shoes fit alright, but I could really do with something wider.

e: also blue or green because my bike is beautiful

lake extra wide cx332 in chameleon green https://www.lakecycling.com/collections/road/products/cx-332

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Bud Manstrong posted:

If you have back problems riding your current bike, I would not pick the bike with the same geo as your current bike.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

MoonCricket posted:

Put something between those forks to prevent them from being pushed inward towards each other. The exposed tube ends on the handlebars, etc, I would use cardboard and shipping paper to wrap the ends very well. My experience is with cheap to high dollar electrical grid components in the US/Mexico/Canada so take this with a grain of salt. Also, bubble wrap varies drastically in quality. The good stuff is stout poo poo and the cheap stuff is kind of worthless, especially metal on metal. The airline workers probably see fragile markings on half the poo poo they move between belts, planes, and terminals.

This too

not related, but have you ever considered changing your username? seems poor in taste and juneteenth has been on my mind

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Heliosicle posted:

My bottom bracket started creaking tons today and it drove me a bit insane. What maintenance can I/should I do on a pressfit BB after 5 ish years?

I'm 99% sure it's the BB: I cleaned up and greased the rear skewer/dropout (didn't help), pedals are recently installed and greased, and it occurs when I'm standing or sitting down so not saddle/seatpost

did you check your chainring bolts?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

brand engager posted:

Does this seem ok for a beginning road bike https://www.academy.com/p/gira-mens-viaggio-700c-road-bike? I've never had one before.

I would strongly advise against buying your first road bike online if you've never tried a road bike. If you can manage it, it helps to go to a bike shop or maybe a bike co-op and trying them out. Road bikes have different geometries, and you might enjoy either a racier or more relaxed ride.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

brand engager posted:

It's not online I just wanted to link it to see if I should skip the 20 minute drive to academy.

red flag: bike only comes in one size, “men’s”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

amenenema posted:

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear - "etap only" meaning no cable bosses/downtube inlets - brake hose routing only (and ideally integrated into the cockpit/headset). Looking for the cleanest frame possible.

you could go full Gravel Tryhard (rip) and get a J. Guillem

https://jguillem.com/bike/major