Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Rode my bike outdoors today it was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I'm looking at my bike right now

I'm looking at my soon-to-be bike right now

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

No pictures yet so here's some bichaeling from Tenerife in January

This was the only book in the hotel run by this weird russian guy?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Really like the scenery and angle, just gotta get a stick that doesn't wobble as much and make a proper video.

I doubt it's possible to get a stick 3 meters long that doesn't wobble without also having guy ropes. If you get something stiffer that will probably make the problem worse, because the vibrations will be higher frequency.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm thinking about buying this bike. Tell me why I should or shouldn't! https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes-us/race-bikes/aeroad/aeroad-cf-sl-disc-8.0-di2/2875.html?dwvar_2875_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK&quantity=1

I've been riding my old road bike quite a bit for the last month and I intend to continue riding a lot because I'm enjoying it. I'm still a novice cyclist but I'll want to go on long group rides and shoot for a fast ironman in a year or two and I don't want to buy a separate TT bike, I just want one bike man (aside from my existing bike which I'll convert for family riding). Aero bars are available for the H36 cockpit but they are currently out of stock.

My coworker is telling me to look at this Specialized bike instead so I don't get the stinkeye at the local bike shop. I'm not totally convinced.

Edit: My coworker also said if he were dropping the money he would instead buy this $2200 bike and use Enve's wheel upgrade program to get some nicer wheels for an additional ~$2k. Seems crazy to me to downgrade to 105 groupset and alloy frame.

As someone who

a) has an Aeroad

and

b) is going to be one of four people in the UK with a size 61 Tarmac SL7 by the end of August:

The Aeroad is a great bike, and in the year or so since I got my Aeroad from the Canyon Outlet section I've put a good few thousand k on it. HOWEVER. It's still essentially the bike that came out in 2014, which means the frame/fork is not going to be as light, as aerodynamic, as integrated*, as stiff as the Tarmac. But you do get nicer wheels on it, so if you're not planning to upgrade further it'll probably be a faster bike? HOWEVER HOWEVER there's a new Aeroad coming out very shortly (it's been in Zwift adverts under Matthew van der Poel since January, but there's reason to believe it's actually coming soon) which means both that there'll be a new, faster version to consider but also the Outlet will be full of the old variety (which is how I got an Aeroad SLX 9.0 Di2 Disc for about the same price as the frame for the S-Works Tarmac SL7).

Are you wanting to use aero bars? If so, the Aeroad is not really an option for that, as it has a carbon integrated stem/handlebar which isn't strong enough for them. The Tarmac's Aerofly2 won't take clip-ons either (although Specialized do have a weird stem mounted one which apparently is kinda ok if not really that good) but it does just use a standard stem/bar interfacey bit, so you can put something else on comparatively easily.

Finally, don't buy Enves. Most of the cost is the branding of having a super expensive wheel. You can get something just as good - if not better - from DT Swiss/Swiss Side at half the price.

*Having the di2 junction in the seat post is a slightly weird decision compared to its position in the down tube/on a bar end (ala a Dogma or a Madone), but it's infinitely preferable to having the under-stem version of old, which is hidden on the Aeroad but you have to bend a piece of plastic to get access to charge it, and I always feel like I'm going to break it.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 28, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

I'm not hip to bike fashion, but I thought the black/black Canyon with deep section wheels was among the best looking bikes I've seen over the last few days. The two Specialized bikes don't look that great to me :shrug:

The only person who needs to care about your bikes looks is you.

Despite writing a load of text a post or two ago, remember that the differences between them are pretty small at the end of the day - a handful of watts. Over a full Ironman it'll add up, sure, but it's still not that much, especially if you find one bike exciting and fun to ride and another not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Also I hadn't noticed that di2 junction location - weird. I guess you have to take the saddle bag off every time to charge it?

They have it that way on the (now discontinued) Venge too. I guess in theory it's more protected there than in the bar end, and easier to manufacture than in the downtube? Or they're just being weird.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hawkline posted:

I'd like to get a wheel upgrade on the wife's bike. Does anyone have recommendations for something < $500, rim-brake, preferably kinda light and accommodating of 28mm tires?

What has she got at the moment?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you can find a cheaper-than-RRP pair of DT Swiss PR1600's they'll actually be a meaningful improvement, but the RRP is more like $700 I think.

Mavic Aksiums are a pretty decent wheel set, I was running them as training wheels for a bit (before I sold the bike they came on).

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Imo never buy wheels you can't afford to replace

Or bike stuff in general (unless you have insurance - my insurance has paid for itself for the next 3 years when I crashed my Cube Agree back in October)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The current look seems to be either that or the "billboard" look where the entire bike is a solid color and is completely devoid of detailing, writing, or even the model name, with the exception of a massive brand decal on the downtube. The Trek Madone is the king of this look and I hate it.

Good news! Hideous bikes are back in fashion!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Re: earlier discussion, these are the kind of people who buy Enves

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hybrids are fine, it's just important to know their limitations. If you're planning on doing lots of cycling for exercise (in chunks of more than, say, 90 minutes at a time) I'd suggest trying out a road bike to see if you get on with it if you can get a test ride.

Bottom line is if you enjoy riding the bike and get what you want out of it and it's not injuring you or otherwise putting you in danger, then it doesn't matter what you ride.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

man in the eyeball hat posted:

Is disassembling the headset and greasing everything a reasonable starting point? Is there something I should check beforehand?

One thing you can do is to loosen off the stem and the cap, wiggle everything around a bit, then tighten down the cap and tighten down the stem again (in that order). It might be that things have just loosened up a bit.

- Is there anything I need to be specifically careful not to gently caress up if I try to take this apart?

Make sure you are very careful to note the order that everything comes off in and not to lose anything. This may sound obvious, but it's one of those things to be super mindful of.

- What grease do you recommend/what do I ask for at my LBS? I should probably get something on hand if I want to try to do my bike maintenance myself.

Get whatever, as long as it's suitable for your frame type (some aren't suitable for carbon). I've used Park Tool polylube. It's fine. I've used Shimano grease. It's fine.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

nm posted:

Imagine living somewhere where it rains for more than 60 days a year.

109.6 :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Benson Cunningham posted:

I'm a large on the canyon and it looks like they have some red in stock. I'm going to read the specs over and over for hours and then panic/ruminate on it for another few hours and then maybe buy it.

The endurace is a nice bike

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

honestly the most annoying thing that isn't carelessness/dangerous driving is when people decide to be "nice" and hold up at intersections despite arriving first/having ROW, rather than just going, leading to that "wait who's going to go" standoff that can end in both people trying to go at once. just go, man!

On my ride this morning someone stopped in the middle of a major roundabout for me to join in front of them, while I was stationary. That helped no-one!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I’ll put together a google form for sizes once the design is finalized and the order is ready to go, but I wanted to see if there was any interest now to get the ball rolling

In (if we can get it to the UK)

DeesGrandpa posted:

Idk being tall is pretty cool bike issues aside

I would happily be 2 inches shorter (which admittedly would still make me 6'3)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I did 24 miles, which is my longest since starting up again. I felt great and was thinking I should just keep going, but then I got home and went to walk up the stairs and my leg almost collapsed, lol.

Make sure to do some stretching as well as collapsing into a chair, it'll make a massive difference in the long run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

Yeah, it didn't tickle me personally but I dislike red, and just can't stop thinking it'd look better if it were just the blue/teal of the rear triangle.
But, people like different colors, so if you dig it, of those three I would *absolutely* go for the Specialized. The Canyon is super dated at this point, and Trek makes cop bikes.

I would ask 'em about how hard it's gonna be to do clip-on aerobars though... I haven't seen anything about that, and I know with some bars it's just straight up not a thing (even when advertised as such - ask e.pilot about the clipons for his giant propel).

The current Aeroad handlebars CANNOT be used with clip ons, not even the ones canyon made for the old aeroad. They're just too fragile.

You can get pseudo-clip ons for both Trek and Specialized, but tbh if it's something I was going for I'd put some decent round bars on the Tarmac and then the clip-on world is my oyster. Benefits of having a normal shaped stem.

[edit]

Also there's a new aeroad coming January February June July August at some point soon

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

There’s no standard for stem outer diameter.

Also while it's no longer the case due to frame/bar end/seat post junctions, the Di2 junction box made fitting things around stems difficult.

Andy Dufresne posted:

Is this a case of paying for the wheels + aero frame on the M20ltd @ $5000 vs paying for Di2 + lightweight frame on the M20iTeam @ $4500?

The "aero frame" on the M20LTD is lighter than the "lightweight frame" on the Team. Not by much in the grand scheme of things (130g or so) but quite a bit for frames. The OMX on the LTD will also be a bit stiffer than the OMR on the team. [edit] OMX and OMR are the names for the different frames on the respective bikes. The OMX is the top end one, the OMR the lower (but still good) one.[/edit]

It looks like about $1000 to get Di2 vs mechanical on those bikes, so it's entirely up to you what your priority is. They'll both be great bikes.

The aero differences are going to come through things like the shape of the tubes that are difficult to see side on, but it's mostly obvious on the seat post and seat tube. The more aero one is a lot more blocky, less round.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 12, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

a foolish pianist posted:

Some of this fitting discussion has me wondering why crank arms aren't usually sized in proportion to riders' leg lengths. A tall rider will have a very different range of motion when pedaling on the same cranks that a short person is using, but cranks seem to vary only a little (165-180-ish mm, I think, and not usually chosen in proportion to frame size?). Is there some data that shows that having a proportional pedal stroke radius doesn't matter? Is it just down to manufacturing history?

Fit is one factor, but torque is another - the difference in strength between people of different heights is small.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

i havnt had a flat in 9,122.5 km on my road bike :smug:

I had a flat last week, first one in 6670km. Big thorn straight through.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Time posted:

Talk to me about power meters. Does anyone have one they like that’s well built and not like the $1000 shimano ones

I like my favero assiomas, except they're an arse to clip into.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

incendia posted:

With that in mind, something with more of an endurance/fun feel seems best and I was looking at the Endurace CF SL Disc 7.0 as a neat option. Especially as at that price-point I could maybe use a little excess money to get a cheap power-meter (Zwift has damaged my brain in terms of looking at power for training goals).

The Endurace is a lovely bike, and if you're going to be stepping up the mileage I'd recommend a bike fit before a power meter (as much as Numbers are Fun)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is the bike shortage over there really that crazy bad? Should I be buying up stock over here in Taiwan where it seems not so much of a problem and shipping that poo poo to desperate people.

It was, now it's at least partially artificial because some brands haven't launched their 2021 products yet and so they're just sitting around.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my goof with the jersey cost and taxes, I've gotten the extra $5-10 from all but 6 people 2 people in barely over 12 hours, y'all rock. :unsmith:

Is knowing how much international shipping will cost going to be one of those "find out when you've got the kit at your end" kind of things?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e.pilot posted:

yeah, I won’t know until I have the weight and everything

Just to make sure, you're ok with me waiting until I have a total bill to send it all over - it costs a couple of dollars or something to send internationally, which is a big proportion of the payments

vvv cheers!

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 26, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Been using toe clips for a while since the last time I tried clipless they hurt my knees

Yeah that's entirely an adjustment issue. How long did the 20 mile ride take? If it was substantially over an hour then you're quite probably set up good enough if you didn't have any pain at the time or after.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

moctopus posted:

Is there any reason why I can not convert my Canyon Aeroad's proprietary-integrated-ultra-special-stem-handlebar-combo into a traditional set-up with aftermarket parts? I'm still recovering from a back injury plus a small crash and so during 6+ hour rides I'd like to ride a little more upright while I heal. I'm maxed out on spacers so I'd like to commit the sin of having a positive rise on my stem.

None whatsoever, just going to be a massive faff if you have disc brakes because you'll need to disconnect the hoses.

moctopus posted:

Follow-up dumb question. Does the math work out conveniently that a -6 stem flipped to +6 would decrease drop by 12mm?

Sin(12 degrees) ~= 0.2, so for a 100m stem you're looking at about 2cm.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Aug 29, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dumb question for people who keep track of Cannondale, has being owned by Pacific Cycle made them shittier?

Cannondale make nice bikes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Might_Be_Giants

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Andy Dufresne posted:

This might be a weird thread to ask in, but it's tangentially cycling related.

My Favero pedals arrived today from Italy. I paid in euros and no taxes were collected. The value of the pedals was clear on the packaging but apparently they didn't get caught up at customs. Was I supposed to pay an import duty?

Which bike did you go for in the end? I need closure!!!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesco is selling Canyon Ultimates now:

Andy Dufresne posted:

I bought a Kickr and power meter pedals but no bike yet. Leaning towards the Orbea or the new Aeroad if it becomes available by the time I purchase, but we are also furnishing a new house so I need to see where the dust settles on my budget.

I told myself I wouldn't buy the new bike until I ride a 100 miler with the old one so that's what I'm waiting on. I've got virtual running events this weekend and next so the riding will pick up again in 2 weeks (probably).

:nod:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Third ride with my clipless shoes and theyre causing pretty bad arch pain, starting to think they're not wide enough.

It may well be your cleat position fyi

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

I don't think the gearing thing makes any sense. If you maintain the same cadence you don't need different gearing.

If anything, folks who run shorter cranks tend to find it easier to maintain a higher cadence, so you might want slightly easier gearing? But really I think it's unrelated.

Yeah. I've got a set of 170mm cranks for my TT bike (175mm on the road bikes) for precisely this reason (the chest/knee thing is also true but is irrelevant for me until I improve my hip flexibility to get my lower back flatter)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

All
Climbs
Are
Bastards

Come live round here, I've had to go out of my way to give today's 85k as much as 600m of climbing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Took my new Vapour Pope out on a small group ride where it turned out everyone else was an ex-pro, and everyone loved the kit so double win.

(Unthinking sexism edited out after rightly being called on it immediately)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 29, 2020

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

bicievino posted:

I'm assuming you didn't mean it that way but your bullet point a) reads pretty tacky from where I'm sitting.

You're (collectively) correct, that at best reads terribly and is indeed tacky. I've edited it.

BeastPussy posted:

Maybe he meant they wouldn't be jerks and leave him behind in the dust on his own.

No need to defend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

But anyway it was super cool to be riding with ex-pros, I was stoked to have survived and expressed that really god damned badly.