Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Wife has a Fuji Finest road bike and wants to put some "adventure" gearing on it. The bike has a 50/34 x 11-32 drivetrain right now. She isn't ever going to be spinning out at 30mph and would like a few more gears on the bottom end. I think the bike has a pressfit BB86 bottom bracket. Can someone recommend an inexpensive crankset we can put on with something like 46/30 rings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i was literally asking if anyone would be interested in me making an updated writeup/OP and used that as an example of something that might not be great advice

Just do it. Don't ask, just make the OP you want to see.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I managed to sneak a layover at home for 12 hours in the middle of my trip, and uhhhhhh, hell yeah these turned out good.

Still planning on starting to ship them out on the 9th.

I hope this is my kit.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

Everyone with the exception of the international orders should have gotten their trash kits by now :getin:

On this note, does anyone want to buy a set of large/large plus a hat? The large bibs are pretty tight on me and wearing just the jersey and hat isn't good enough for me.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Guinness posted:

Anyone know the deal with Obed bikes (formerly Ocoee), looks like some of the same people as Litespeed?

They look kind of similar to Canyon in that they are direct to consumer, and their value proposition looks similar as well, but without all the wacky proprietary Canyon poo poo. And more oriented toward gravel/cx/mtb, no road race stuff.

3.5k for a carbon GRX810 or Ultegra RX Boundary looks pretty enticing. https://obedbikes.com/products/boundary-grx-810

I've got an ocoee boundary with grx810 1x. It's a cool bike and I can put big ol gravel tires or sleek deep carbon slicks on it. I haven't had to bother with warranty issues, but that does make me a bit nervous.

Any specific questions? It's a bike with an endurance geometry.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

What are the recommended tires for a summer Sunday funday bike? Tootlin, sportives and the like.

Something 28-32mm, tubeless, preferably tan wall. Looking for suppleness/comfort over all-out speed, and ideally more affordable than GP5ks. Like everywhere else the road surface here is generally awful.

WTB exposure? Panaracer gravelking slick? Vittoria Rubino?

I know you said affordable, but you also said supple:

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop/components/tires/700c/700cx32-stampede-pass/

Otherwise, I think you just about summed up all the tanwalls in that size range.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

numberoneposter posted:

There was an increase in injuries reported as a result of car crashes after seatbelt laws were introduced as compared to before.

How about deaths?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

I need a sanity check before I pull the trigger on this.

I moved to Minnesota. I want to ride a bicycle. I have a Raleigh Grand Prix back in California. My family will be joining me here next year but unless I fly back to California and pack up my bike on my own, I don't have anyone who knows enough about shipping bikes to bring it to me. I like steel and I know I will never be fast enough riding to ever want to race or really even do group rides with fast people.

THIS would give me options for bikepacking and seems like it'd be comfortable enough to ride all day. I feel like these are different enough bikes to warrant N+1 but wanted to make sure I am not being impulsive and dumb.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but a decent bike shop should be able to help ship a bike. They might even have a relationship with Bike Flights.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

530 maps also have road names which I do find helpful when I need to use the map.

I do hate that I load a RideWithGPS route on my Garmin and it calculates it's own turn-by-turn. No, I don't want to go down these random side streets just to end up on the same road!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Strain gauges, pick two:

Cheap, accurate, small

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

Thanks for the advice. Found a place with free returns, but of course they're out of 45's. Man, I can't wait for supply chains to get back to normal.

What place was this?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

e.pilot posted:

I mean we could just have a no slur username policy idk, seems pretty simple.

A slur username isn’t acceptable anywhere else remotely respectable on the internet, regardless of the user’s race. Like try making a name like that on xbox live or playstation online and see how long it lasts. Maybe we could try to be better?

This seems like a pretty reasonable take, especially as the site has grown up over the last 10 years.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Ok but what if he really likes his current bike, or is just stubborn, or whatever? When I say doing things by a spreadsheet I'm referring to boiling everything down into cost/benefit as opposed to just doing dumb stuff cause you want to.

I will admit the idea of paying people to work on a bicycle never occurred to me though.

otoh why would anyone do either of these things, what the hell

they were probably just doing dumb stuff cause they wanted to

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

I think the OG Romin is one of the best shapes for me. The Romin Mirror is based on the Evo shape, which isn’t quite as good but still good. Anyways, I like it — it flexes more in some areas (one of the reasons to 3d print) but has adequate overall support. I do agree with bici that the channel is more filled in and a tighter squeeze, though it’s still usable for me.

A tighter squeeze? Am I supposed to be pulling my stuff through the hole?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Here’s a video from the YouTube king of Japanese cycling about his train bag. Maybe it’ll be helpful?

https://youtu.be/vUMLkrjXT08

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
gently caress the haters, 100 spacers on your carbon race bike

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Dang, a pawn shop where you don't expect everything to be stolen and accepts returns?

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

I can't meaningfully protect myself/them short of driving a car myself.

What I've done is guerilla infra stuff with friends I won't get into, and being a complete pain in the rear end whenever drivers act like they don't know. Last year I made a HGV driver back up out of my lane when he thought he could go around an illegally parked car and I'd just yield to him because he drives a huge death machine. I just stayed in front of him (then just browsed my phone when he made it look like he was just going to wait me out), and watching his eyes pop out was almost worth it.

gently caress cars

I know in my heart the reaosn gravel's so popular is people don't have to deal with psychotic drivers.

Just remember that his huge death machine doesn’t stop being a death machine just because you “won” the standoff. He can always decide he’s angry enough to murder you and you need to decide if that’s worth winning your spot on the road.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Just ride your bike how you want to and don't worry about what anyone else says or does. You wanna wear full kit that costs a lot of money cause it brings you joy? Do it! You wanna wear no show socks with SPD sandals? Do it!

Just ride your bike!

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Sphyre posted:

gonna go against this and say that if you’re going to the effort of wearing bib shorts and a cycling jersey then just grow up and get proper shoes and pedals. i don’t care about road vs mtb pedals, but clipping in and out is just not difficult. it takes about 15 minutes max to get used to

Or wear bibs and a jersey cause you like it, and wear tennis shoes and use flats cause you like it. That works too and is cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Sphyre posted:

buy my used 105 hydro disc groupset coward

Where are you selling and for how much?