Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm a Bicycle newbie and i got two questions:

1) Anyone in here got any experience with dog trailers?
2) And with Bicycle Dog leashes?

No im not going to try to Bike cross country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Rode 3 miles with my pup. She's little so that's about as far as I can push her. :3:

My dude, teach me your ways as i wanna teach mine how to ride with bikes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Levitate posted:

what kind of "local lake" is 265km around? just curious

Lake Tahoe Maybe?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

First, I taught her to stay to my right when we walk.
Then I taught her to walk with a slack leash (when she walked too far ahead of my stride, I'd pull her back. When she walked beside me, I gave her treats).
Then I introduced "hurry up" while picking up my pace, and "slow down" when slowing down.

Then I tried jogging with her. I still need to get her to figure out "turn left, turn right".

That said, I think the most important bit is having the dog know not to walk in front of you, I'd hate to run her rear end over. My wife would be pretty pissed.

Thanks, she is well behaved on her leash but I got a Bicycle Dog Leash. She is a little afraid of bikes so i'm going to take it slow, with her with the eventual goal of taking short bike rides with her and the side goal of hauling her on a bike dog trailer when me and the wife go camping.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My hybrid bike sucks, but it takes me out of the house and has helped me see that biking is cool and good.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am also lucky since my step son gave my an beginner road bike (A Gravity Avenue with disk breaks), Its getting fixed and i will try it out once its fixed.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rode a road bike today and it was weird compared to my hybrid, then again I was going up hills so there is that

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I am liking the Road Bike, but i'm looking to eventually upgrade to a All-Road or Gravel Bike.
Still i am a newbie and all poo poo. If i stay road biking should i get biking shoes and poo poo?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Just found out that Kona has a Bicycle called "Jake the snake" so help me god if i get that bike and ride around with a mullet.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

e.pilot posted:

I have one, it’s a good bike.

Thats a pretty bike, its between that, a Jamis Renegade, or a Canyon Grail. Basically a Sub-2,000 Gravel/road/all-road bike, still doing lots of reading, researching and i haven't posted my Motorcycle on craiglist yet lol

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Today i went on a short six mile ride on the road bike and I liked it... Except it murdered my shoulders and wrists.

i probably should relax a lil bit and not death grip the handlebar.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Also is there such a thing as an Endurance/Gravel Bike???

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

TobinHatesYou posted:

Most gravel bikes already have reach/stack values that are more upright than endurance road bikes. There's also racier gravel bikes and ones that start approaching MTB geometry as well.

Good because i dont think my lovely shoulders and slightly less bad back will appreciate the road bike.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Is this your first ride or first ride in a long time? Some of it may just be that your body needs adapting. Don’t know if that’s your plan but don’t necessarily go and immediately drop a ton on money on a new bike after a ride or two when it might just be needing to adapt.

Its like my third ride on that particular road bike and yeah i do think its that, but at the same time i have owned motorcycles with aggressive angles before and my shoulders hated it. I am not committing into getting a new bicycle until i sold off my motorcycle and get more info as to what bike fits me and my needs.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

You can still adjust what you have with a different stem.

Well yes, but i want a cool bike with sweet rear end decals

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So im researching pedals and shoes, so far I think I want a dual-sided pedal like the Shimano PD-M324 but i am not sure about what shoe to get. I do know i'm going to be fairly casual riding at the beginning but i do want a shoe that i can use clips and walk around. I am a dude and i wear 8.5 Wide shoes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

numberoneposter posted:

the Shimano SH-XC5 is a proper shoe that you can hike in or drunkenly walk around a city when someone steals your bike after you locked it up outside a sketchy kareoke bar at 3 am after drinking all day at an alleycat race

and it goes on sale a lot, they are more of a cycling shoe than a walking shoe but the tread is good, they are fairly flexy, and laces are nice.

otherwise there is the classic

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/information/news/the-legend-reborn--shimano-s-25th-anniversary-spd-sandal.html

i mean i think im going to buy a pair of those drat sandals at this point and sometime in the far far future actually do a CX race in them

The shoes look good, the sandals also look good.

But i'd rather bike in front of a truck than wear socks and sandals.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nm posted:

Don't wear socks then?

i wear sandals when its hot, so yeah no socks for them.

numberoneposter posted:

no no no

DO wear socks in them

Gimmick socks are ok, but still I puked in my mouth a little

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

You can still adjust what you have with a different stem.

Found out that my bike stem was upside down, fixed it and went on a 9 mile ride. It feels a lot better.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

Noice. Did you set the headset preload appropriately?

Had to google this poo poo and apparently i did I good job when i was putting poo poo back

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I caved and got some pedals (crankbrothers double shot 1), and shoes (shimano am5) and other stuff like a bottle cage, padded shorts and gloves.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

How my lunch went:

Plus like i walked like 3 miles downtown

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

10 miles rides are a lot harder than i thought...
But at least i got my shoes now, but no pedals yet...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got my pedals today! :unsmith:

But i dont have a size 8 hex key or grease fo it... :smith:

But i can get those local! :unsmith:

But there was only one cleat (and assorted screws, spacers and stuff) in the box... :smith:

But REI is sending me some free cleats! :unsmith:

and they arrive next month :negative:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BraveUlysses posted:

you should definitely have a set of hex/allen tools, one for taking with you while you ride and a set at home

i really like my bondhus gold hex tools for use at home

I do, but I don't have em in size 8

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

spf3million posted:

This story was a real rollercoaster

A coworker has extra crankbrother/SPD cleats and is gonna give me some of em tomorrow. Other than that he talked about the two day Seattle to Portland 206 mile bike ride and im just staring at him.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I went on a sad sad bike 3 mile ride yesterday. But my cleats got here and I'm going to a state park to try them out in a safe environment.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ElMaligno posted:

I went on a sad sad bike 3 mile ride yesterday. But my cleats got here and I'm going to a state park to try them out in a safe environment.

So I went to the state park (This one if you are curious) it went as well as the first time using clipless pedals can be.

I mean at least I did about 7.7 miles while getting up from eating poo poo????

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

So im browsing to get a newer bicycle, so far i know i want:
1) a gravel/allroad bike
2) Aluminum
3) I been looking at Giant, Specialized, Canyon and Kona
4) Any US manufacturer i should know about?
5) No Trek please

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I should add:
6: My max budget is about $2500

e.pilot posted:

Kona Jake the Snake

Jake the snake - Pros: Cool name, cool paint j ob
Rove DL - Pro: Nice paint job, con: dorky name

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Giant Contend AR 1

Any Giant Contend AR, really, but if you're buying one just get the 1 for the carbon fork + seatpost and the R7000 groupset

It just feels fast, more so than any other bike I've ever rode

The paint job sucks, other than that it's a solid bike.

At some point in time I'll find a better and faster bike to brag about here. It will not be anywhere near as good for the price point as the AR 1 has been for me this year.

Its in available in red so i like it

Edit:

Crumps Brother posted:

Jamis Renegade is another solid option.

They also have good frame color options

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

You have to get the one with the best paint, so which is it?

I like the Jamis one the most with Kona being a close second.

Also i lowkey want a bike that i can kinda climb hills with it so the Kona Rove LTD, Jamis Renegade C2 and Canyon Endurance AL 7.0 and Canyon AL Grail 7.0.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Second time on the cliples pedals and I feel more confident clipping in and out.

Also i think my rear derailleur hanger got hosed on my big crash last week so I need to get a new one.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my first 10+ mile ride... im so tired.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

my taint is ok, but my buthole hurts from excessive puckering up

Picture of my dog as a palette cleanser

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Next summer the wife and some of her sons are planning on doing a 50/20 hike on the Banks-Vernona trail here in Oregon, I love hiking but I hate hiking for that long.

So im doing my first century ride on that trail. Any place I can read about doing centuries and poo poo?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/rubydrummr/status/1310287396408299521?s=19

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Now that its spring again i continue my futile attempt to sell my motorcycle in order to buy a bicycle.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

im still looking for a gravel biek, but i got a question. My lower back is absolute poo poo, does a flat bar or a drop bar help with said lovely back?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

bicievino posted:

Lower back being absolute poo poo can mean a lot of different things.
I'd strongly suggest discussion with an actual PT or physician who understands bicycles and can give a medical recommendation.
A more upright geometry isn't inherently easier on your lower back, but also in some extreme cases you might be better off with a recumbent bicycle.

I am exaggerating a lil bit, but been having some persistent but low level of pain on my back, i am going to see a doctor tomorrow.

Still when i rode my bargain bin road bike it was a little uncomfortable, but when i rode my hybrid it was more comfortable. I think a less aggressive geometry might help me on the longer run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

A badly fit hybrid would hurt more than a well fitting road bike - even being off by an inch in one direction can make riding very hard on the back

I intuit this from the simple act of sitting, yes.