Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ground floor of a great thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

Ya I'm talking 12+ hours here. Think imperial century or >> greater

Just drink tailwind

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

I always grease the shaft.

Do you have a specific technique you can recommend?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

actionjackson posted:

I suppose it would be good so if you wanted to just ride chill sometimes and wear normal shoes you could pedal on the other side

This is my commuter setup and it’s great. Well, back when I left the house.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

Where'd you get this jersey? I need one.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_d8G4KGP

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

I've been trying to find a touring light with 2 hours of battery life that can do trails and make the while world bright. I have $150 max to spend.

Any recommendations? Priority order is battery life -> weight -> vanity.

I don’t have this model but I’ve liked Cygolite’s stuff. High is 2 hours.

https://cygolite.com/product/ranger-1400-usb/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

For some reason I've always wanted to ride to a ferry a cross. I don't know why. I was thinking of the one that crosses Lake Michigan.

Also, I was thinking about Strava's Local Legend and how you're gonna get the people riding the same segments over and over again and I had an idea for Strava. Introduce a new feature, similar to Local Legend, that counts the number of Flybys you get. So instead of mentally ill people riding the same stretch of road between two stop signs you get them riding in circles around other bike riders.

Maybe encouraging riders to get close to other riders is not the best feature to pursue at this moment in time.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

It would be a terrible idea any time.

Agreed. I was trying to be nice. The local legends feature is horrible enough.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Good news! Hideous bikes are back in fashion!

Strange way to spell awesome

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Coredump posted:

Your picture reminds me. Garmin being down almost a full week now is really putting a hamper on my life. If I can't record my rides and make numbers go up why bother?!

It’s been pretty much back up for a couple days?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Benson Cunningham posted:

https://www.diamondback.com/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/century-6c-carbon-d42

Anyone know if something comparable to this is in stock anywhere? Its the right price point for me and I haven't seen much else that's full carbon with ultegra parts and hydraulic disc brakes for a similar price. Looking for my beginner to amateur upgrade basically.

What size?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-8.0/2185.html?dwvar_2185_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I was going to wait until this was a bit more finalized to post but it’s moving a bit faster than I expected and there’s a minimum order of 10 so trying to get as much interest as I can.

I’m putting together a stupid jersey, cost should be $25+ shipping. It’s through a china kit company called Racmmer I have a few jerseys from, they’re real nice even by normal jersey standards let alone chinakit.

I’ll put together a google form for sizes once the design is finalized and the order is ready to go, but I wanted to see if there was any interest now to get the ball rolling

loving in

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that Cinelli logo going to cause an issue with Racmmer? The other ones are close by way of using font or stylized letters but coffee is using their trademarked logo.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Lmao, this is a $25 Ali Express kit company.

Fair

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I broke 3 straps for the Garmin cadence mount. No issues with the wahoo one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm gonna be needing some new tires on my road bike soon. I currently have the stock TurboPro in 26. which has been fine. What should I get?

It's a 2017 Specialized Roubaix, which Spec says can clear up to 33mm. I was thinking of doing something in the 28 range though. I don't plan on doing road tubeless.

Should I default to GP5ks?

I have to ride through lovely litter and garbage covered NYC to get anywhere good, so I think some durability would be nice.

Edit:

That's great news for me. I can never test ride any bike because XL is never carried anywhere.

lovely roads where you need durability and you’re avoiding tubeless why? It’s like the best use case for it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

First (order) post

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

bicievino posted:

Maybe some sweet-rear end glasses? 100%, Oakley, and POC all make rad stuff.
A cool jersey or gloves? Could be hard with sizing.
Silca make a bunch of things that are a bit frivolous and too expensive for most folks to buy for themselves, but make very nice quality gifts, like this saddle bag: https://silca.cc/products/seat-roll-premio
Rapha also makes some nice gift accessories, like this sweat/waterproof wallet for a few cards + phone (there's a larger version if he has a bigger phone): https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XX

On this wallet, I can just barely fit an iPhone 11 without a case. If you have a case or a bigger phone you need the bigger one for sure.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I will be riding bichaels.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

numberoneposter posted:

i may even shave my legs for the whole "bike racer" experience that i vaguely remember something about

My leg hairs are very short so probably not very aero. Guess I have to shave tonight

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I am closing in on 6 months riding every day. Just a couple weeks to go. Never stop.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Are you sure those shoes aren’t too small, or that you have them too tight?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Timely chat, because I just got a sidewall slash on a GP5k tubeless today. Whatever it was it I ran over also put a big rear end hole in my tire. Rip baby.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Assiomas rule. If you miss the clip in though they love to spin.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I rode a boat today.

Also dumpstered a group ride that I caught up to, looked at my strava flybys and had a good laugh as I watched them try to pace me in vain after I passed them and they blow up half a mile later. :allears:

Did you do the thing where you try to chat them up while they’re quite obviously dying? This is a favorite of mine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1Up.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What happened??

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Delta-Wye posted:

I upgraded this terrible bike I had been borrowing for a while with a fancy Specialized Sirrus X. I don't know much about bikes but it came highly recommended and I was looking for a serious upgrade so I shelled out. I grew up on cheap huffys, trash bikes in college, etc, so this machine is quite the upgrade. BUT

I was cruising along in the highest gear the other day and the chain hopped off the rear sprocket and got wedged between the frame and the sprocket bringing my ride to a halt. Now its happened a couple of times, I think every ride since, and I sliced my hand up pretty good in a couple of spots while moving the chain back onto the sprocket yesterday. Everything is all greasy w/ little metal flakes mixed in from early wear and tear. I'm pretty disappointed in the bike so far, to be honest, but am not sure if I should drag it to the bike shop and am a bit ignorant so I don't even know what to complain about.

Is this normal? Does something need adjustment? Am I riding the bicycle incorrectly?

Your limit screws are adjusted incorrectly. You can have the shop adjust this if needed but it’s pretty easy.

https://www.bike-components.de/blog/en/2017/02/how-to-adjust-your-rear-dereilleur/

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

perhaps there's a reason why they install the dork disc after all.

You have a dork disc on the frame side?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VacaGrande posted:

I'll note that a couple of my friends have the Saris 1up-style rack and they've both had parts break. Saris customer service has been good but it shouldn't happen. It's also heavy as all gently caress. If you want a "1up-style" rack you just want a 1up. Buy once, cry once.

Make sure to get the bottle opener when you buy it, otherwise what’s the point?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

My cygolite 360 died last week and it was a devastating loss for me. I didn't know it when I bought it six years ago, but headlights that can be ran indefinitely on external power are incredibly rare. Most major brands can't run and charge simultaneously, but for the few that can they still don't charge faster than the depletion rate. Of course the big solution is a dynamo system, but I only needed the indefinite running thing a few times a year so that was a tiny bit of overkill.

Then a buddy messaged me about this sale and how perfect was that timing?! A good price on what appears so far to be a solid enough headlight. 2 amp USB c changing will keep things topped up when needed. And hopefully the charging port itself won't give up the ghost after six years (which is ultimately what killed my 360).

If Serfas actually sucks lemme know so I don't get my hopes up with this light. If they don't suck then jump on that deal if you need a light. The light I received from them was clearly an open box item, but everything was there and it's in great shape.

Now I’m wondering if the Metro and Ranger I have charge while in use. The blinking light turns solid but who knows if that means anything.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

They will, but only the newer Metro Pro models charge fast enough to run SteadyPulse forever. I think some of them work with low mode, but I don't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

The Ranger is “above” the metro pro I believe, not sure if that changes anything. It does charge quick though.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
#TrashKit has shipped, and via DHL so it might actually
get here quickly

I assume these are going to you as one shipment then getting disbursed? What’s that last number?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just did 335 miles in 36 hours, most on gravel and in the pouring rain. A lot of things hurt.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did TrashMiles ever make it to you e pilot?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

#TrashKit has shipped, and via DHL so it might actually
get here quickly

Was this a test kit? That tracking number for DHL doesn’t register either

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

No it’s the full order, I’m still waiting on it, welcome to aliexpress.

Yeah I bet they just created a shipping label right off the bat, they love to do that poo poo to beat shipping requirements

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

https://allcitycycles.com/blog/fantastic_updates_for_all_citys_space_horse_and_gorilla_monsoon

All-City updated the Space Horse and Gorilla Monsoon to use flat mount, which means all of their disc frames have this super ugly bodge:

That is hideous.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

moctopus posted:

Cool. The bar and stem combination I bought aren't compatible even thought they're both 31.8mm because the steam has to be put on bars at a narrower position and then slid into place. That won't work with aero bars. I hate every bicycle and bicycle part manufacturer.

Can you post a picture? I’m confused by the stem part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Anza Borrego posted:

Put a deposit on the Renegade today, will pick up sometime later this week

:getin:

E: Reading a bit more about the SRAM Force 1, wondering if a 1x with the double shifter is the right thing for me. Anyone with SRAM want to share their thoughts?

Are you talking about the SRAM double tap design for shifting? It owns. I love it. I hate having my brake lever move.