Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
to be honest I don't think we need a newbie thread, a megathread should be able to cover that kind of stuff. We already have probably "too many" threads with a bunch of stuff that could fall under this one
while posting new threads is a cost free activity, it can also make actually finding the relevant threads harder and then everyone posts in here anyways.
my 2 cents I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Good Dog posted:

I haven't gotten it yet but I ordered it nearly 4 months ago and it is now out for delivery, so I guess I can hopefully wear it tomorrow.

:same:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Di2 forever thank god no more manual trim

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Coredump posted:

Am I dumb for liking the Evil Chamois Hagar? It seems cool. https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/chamois-hagar

From what I recall of the reviews people are kinda perplexed as to its purpose...like it's slack AF and you'd think it's made to be a "gravel bike" to handle ridiculous poo poo but it's also apparently stiff as all get out so you've geo for handling rough stuff but frame compliance that doesn't lend itself to that.

All being said I think reviewers basically said "if you want to use it the very specific way it's designed then it rips"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

what kind of "local lake" is 265km around? just curious

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

to be honest I bet a lot of people don't measure themselves or go to the doctor where they measure your height very often (or do it with you wearing shoes) and at some point just assumed they're a certain height and that's what they say despite never measuring themselves

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

FogHelmut posted:

Oh yeah I'm 36, getting into the crossover zone where you have to spend more time stretching than actually exercising.

Lol like I ever stretch

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sokatoah posted:

Go to the clinic / your doctor just in case (but not the emergency room, it's not that bad). Bats are hosed up and rabies isn't remotely the worst thing they carry.

Rabies is absolutely horrible and if you start showing symptoms you are completely hosed and going to die a horrible painful death. Just because we have a preventative vaccine doesn’t make it less of a scary sci fi death disease

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I mean it’s quite unlikely that you’ll get rabies from a bat that doesn’t bite you but I guess I take a little issue with what seemed like someone making light of rabies in general
Get checked out, tell a doc what happened. You’re probably fine but checking with health professionals is a good idea if you can do it!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Is anyone still looking into updating the OP? I could write up something quick and dirty if that's alright.

What exactly are you wanting to have added?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

vikingstrike posted:

Don’t spend 5k on a road bike. Spend 5k on MTB. At the same time, you will also be buying the best most versatile gravel bike on the market.

You've sold me on the idea, take my money!

e:

e.pilot posted:

lol look at this guy that’s never seen the Canyon Speedmax

Someone who posts in this thread (sometimes) has this bike...

Levitate fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 12, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

paperwind posted:

I'll help make this decision-making easier for you. Trek makes cop bikes so gently caress them.

This is the correct answer.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Dunno about fat bikes but running different tires on front and back is common with mountain bikes. I do it on my gravel bike too

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

VacaGrande posted:

Buy once, cry once.

Well, until you need to buy an add on

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e.pilot posted:

man that’s retrogrouchy

This would be more interesting if he just said “I like rim brakes” instead of spending multiple paragraphs sounding like an rear end in a top hat

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

EvilJoven posted:

I've never liked double tap. I hear if you start on one it kinda polarizes you against the other.

Went to get lunch and it was so nice out I asked my boss if I could duck out for a bit, go for a ride, and make up the time in the evening. Ended up getting in almost 40km, getting a PR and third overall on a stretch of single track. It was so pretty out in the forest. I love fall riding.

I've used both, they both have their ups and downs. I like the SRAM stuff for not having so much travel with the cable pull...Shimano stuff can feel a bit vague and sloppy compared to the very quick and crisp response from double-tap. Plus as mentioned the brake levers stay still. Double plus, you can pull the shift paddle towards the bar with your finger and flick it to make clicky noises when you're bored.

on the other hand, SRAM front shifting is meh at best, sometimes you can gently caress up trying to shift to a lower gear and accidentally shift to a higher gear if you're trying to just shift one gear quickly. Shimano is very smooth, SRAM is very 'BLAM BLAM BLAM YOU'VE SHIFTED MOTHERFUCKER"

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Can someone post a good video about wrapping bar tape that they trust? I've seen the Park Tool one but I'd like to see if other ones exist. The reels of bar tape I got from Supercaz look, to me, too short to do the job.

I think supacaz has to be stretched a lot and probably don’t do a figure 8 or anything

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

amenenema posted:

I really prefer wrapping from the tops down to the plugs, stuffing the last half wrap of tape in the bar end, and then plugging to seal. No finishing tape and it's way easier to unwrap a bit if you have to move/work on brifters.

:thermidor:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e.pilot posted:

Oh are we dong posting.

Those dongs in a previous life

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

EvilJoven posted:

Fuckin hell that's a lot of nails. This is what came off just a 500' long bridge.

Excuse me I clearly see some screws in there :colbert:

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

better than losing your rear end

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'll be honest telling someone they're gonna hurt themselves on a bike so no buy this one instead seems kinda weird

It's far more likely that a more aggressive geo CX bike will just be uncomfortable and not as pleasant to ride if you don't have the flexibility for it, not that you're doomed to crash and die if you dare ride a bike that's not an endurance model

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

quote:

Yeah, to get any real leverage on the brakes I had to grip from the top of the hooks. Is adjustable brake positioning something to look out for as a feature or should most decent quality ones have them as standard? In the case of my Triban they were built right into the hoods so I can't see how they could have been moved.

unless you have giant hands I don't think anyone can brake from the ends of the drops. I don't think many people ride at the very end of the drops that much unless you're moving your hands around during a long period of time on a flat and clear stretch or something

e: I realize I interpreted this the wrong way and you meant you were having trouble braking from up on the hoods, so disregard if my post is pointless

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

e: edited

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 29, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd kill for a good bike murder basement

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Steve French posted:

bike murder hull. think about it.

I gots that now but not enough room in there for the murderin'
(or working on bikes...mountain bike barely fits in there when I need to do stuff)

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

kimbo305 posted:

It's a frame that anyone can buy and build up a bike [brand] around.

Nothing wrong with the business model as long as you trust the quality of the frame and like the price.
FWIW, I think the finishing on the flat mount faces on my fork wasn't so hot, and might not be perfect after I filed off some paint overrun.

Depending on the company doing the selling they might do a better job facing stuff than just going carbonda direct. Your post makes it sound like you're talking about the Obed bikes instead of Carbonda direct which is what I think you got?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

If you’re riding in the wet and grit all the time make sure you wipe your rims and pads off every ride if you’re worried about rim life

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

TobinHatesYou posted:

So you're saying neither of the scenarios I described are plausible?

Either way, 5 counts of murder, a conviction and a lifetime behind bars for the driver isn't going to bring those people back. It isn't going to do the driver much good and it isn't going to deter people from DWI/DUI.

I know what you're trying to say but maybe this isn't a good case do your "well actually" routine without more nuance in your arguments perhaps?

my own post not very nuanced in what I'm trying to say either, bleh

e:

gohuskies posted:

The problem isn't necessarily when you charge him and with what, it's how first responders react.

Police give drivers the benefit of the doubt all the time when bikes are involved. The guy had "an extremely high level of methamphetamine" in his system and the cops on the scene assumed he wasn't impaired because that's their bias. You see it again and again, for example stories like this https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/12/10/anatomy-of-a-crash-cyclist-badly-injured-by-driver-yet-cops-do-nothing/ Law enforcement generally have a pretty clear pro-driver bias, all the way from the first response through sentencing when someone does commit a crime. That absolutely needs to change.

TobinHatesYou posted:

I initially assumed he wasn't impaired because he seemed quite lucid. The walk-and-turn test was highly questionable however.

But more importantly, how did this hinder the operation/crime scene investigation at all? The right charges were filed...after the toxicology report came back.

I agree that systemic biases need to be accounted for, and this is precisely why this poo poo shouldn't be rushed.

I think it can cause bias's in the investigation or will to investigate in some circumstances...my FIL was hit and killed and the police on the scene told everyone and wrote it up as "improper lane change" by the cyclists...but that creates a situation where now you have to prove that wrong, rather than investigate to find out what happened. They end up starting from a place of bias.
And for what it's worth pics of the scene show that all the bikes were fully in the left turn lane before an intersection as they were turning left, the car was smashed on it's left side/corner/windshield, and bikes and bodies tossed into the median. Seems quite unlikely they suddenly changed lanes into the path of a car that didn't have time to stop when you see the aftermath.

didn't matter in the end though...90 year old woman who's daughter had been trying to get her to stop driving, didn't even brake, doesn't matter if you charge her with anything or do anything to her because gently caress she's 90 and has no assets and even if you took her house or something then you're turning out a 90 year old to the streets? bleh

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 18, 2020

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Looks aluminum

Have had some rims crack like that as well (not hunts)and honestly would just rather go with a more solid brand than these lower priced “direct to consumer style”
Just me though plenty of people have no issues

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I almost hate to ruin it by finishing F500...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

tylertfb posted:

clearly you need to ride 303 more miles...

I wish...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Crumps Brother posted:

If I've learned one thing about ride posting it's that someone will always crawl out of the woodwork to call your rides flat if you did anything short of biking up a literal mountain.

Literally bike up a mountain many/most days a week (it’s a small mountain though)
700k feet of climbing this year

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Biggus Duckus posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Vittoria Terreno Zero tires? I've heard the width can run large, but I wanted to hear some first-hand accounts if possible. I can currently get some for a really good price, but only in a borderline size (700x38). If it's true to size I can fit them under my fenders no problem, if they run large I might have some issues.

No the Zero's but I've run the Terreno Dry's 700x38 on 22 internal width rims and they measure out more like 40. I could check tomorrow if I remember, I have one on the back right now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Feels like they followed the usual arc of "hey this is a pretty cool brand who offers nice stuff for cheaper since it's direct! they make nice stuff!"
Then a few years later their QC is slipping and marketing it taking over and they're churning out dumb poo poo like that

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Eejit posted:

Replacing cleats and pedals is probably one of the easier tasks involving a bike

Except when you strip the hex bolt hole trying to take off a cleat because you haven’t touched them in a long time and probably didn’t clean out all the dirt properly
I need to get a dremmel...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

what advantages do spd sandals offer

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Crumps Brother posted:

They're absolutely comfy af. I'd wear them on any hot day where I was planning to walk around as much as bike. I have zero issues walking around in my XC7s, but the sandals are even better. One legit advantage they have though is dry feet. Never knew until it happened to me, but if you get caught in the rain then afterwards your feet will actually dry out. Again, I've ridden all day in wet socks before because sometimes that's how life goes. With sandals your feet are totally dry within 20 minutes.

Yeah honestly the weather around here doesn't lend itself to sandal riding. Even in the summer mornings are cold because of the fog, and when it's hot it's not real humid, when it's wet it's again too cold for sandals. Not really my use case scenario I guess.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Blacknose posted:

Mountain bikes have been mostly tubeless for a decade and this simply isn't true. As Guinness says, anything which can instantly deflate a tubeless tyre can do the same to a tube.

Mountain bikes run a lot lower pressures but still yeah a blowout is a blowout tubes or no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

jan heine (bicycle quarterly) says burrito bags/rando bags probably increase aero and I have a burrito bag so I believe him

I'm pretty sure Jan Heine will say anything if it will sell some swag he's hawking