Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

If the ride is 6 or less hours I just drink Maltodextrin. I add Fructose if I'm doing hard work. Over 6 and I try to add some source of protein at the halfway point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I mixed dates, melted chocolate, a flavorless electrolyte mix, and maybe some whey protein in a food processor. Then rolled the result into balls and wrapped them in biodegradable wrappers. Those were a pretty good time.

I've also just stuffed my jersey with brown sugar cinnamon poptarts.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I rode my bichael today.

I also rode a ferry :3:

For some reason I've always wanted to ride to a ferry a cross. I don't know why. I was thinking of the one that crosses Lake Michigan.

Also, I was thinking about Strava's Local Legend and how you're gonna get the people riding the same segments over and over again and I had an idea for Strava. Introduce a new feature, similar to Local Legend, that counts the number of Flybys you get. So instead of mentally ill people riding the same stretch of road between two stop signs you get them riding in circles around other bike riders.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Maybe encouraging riders to get close to other riders is not the best feature to pursue at this moment in time.

It would be a terrible idea any time.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Some people have an enormous grudge against the color black (specifically with a matte finish). It's because black is very common.

Black tires, black wheels, black bibs, black jerseys, black saddles, black tape, and black shoes... Which is my set up. :(

Thank god I crashed and now own a red helmet.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It can snow here from October to April. I hate the cold.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

nm posted:

Just do a double check sometimes with street view as sometimes you get hosed by roads they shutdown once a year and run a century or something on it.

This is really smart. There's also sidewalks and road surface to consider. Both of which have caused me issues because I was lazy.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

And at that age. That rules.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I was doing some bike maintenance and noticed my saddle was mounted on my bike crooked. It always felt a little off, but I thought it was a natural human asymmetry. I didn't think to check it because I didn't know that was possible. I've been riding like that for 493 hours and recently completed PT for an injury that was only happening on my right lower back. I guess a PSA for checking if your saddle is mounted to your seat post crooked. drat I'm dumb.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I had a ride I did not enjoy today and it killed my desire to ride during the weekend. To cheer myself up I might go for a bike ride tomorrow.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Has anyone here widened their q factor for a reason other than knee pain? I might mess around with it but I'd be interested in hearing some anecdotes before I start experimenting.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah it is I appreciate the response! I'm mostly concerned with back pain or potentially rocking as a cause. I have a theory where moving my leg in a too narrow manor is frying some small lower back muscle or leading to a pattern that fries it anyway. I'll inevitably have to see a fitter again but I'm just building up all the knowledge I can.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah out on cleats. I was considering spindles. I have Assiomas and I had thought there was a reason you shouldn't or couldn't do that. But this is all experimental based on a fit I had probably near a year ago where it was suggested I increase q factor + on going back pain.

I need to go back there, but I've been wary of going anywhere since c19.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a ready made solution (or available steps to take) to get 150mm cranks + dual sided power without pedal based power meters?

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I'm guessing you could run 160mm cranks with 5mm shims between your shoe and cleat without noticing much difference. Don't know how wise it would be to run a full 1 cm of spacers with 165mm

I hadn't even thought of doing this (And I don't think it would work right?). Maybe it will work. I found real short cranks from Cobb, but I'd have to figure out a power meter solution and if they're compatible with my bike/groupset.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 18, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

I think you're correct, that will not work at all. That just offsets your pedal by 5mm, it doesn't change the radius of the circle made as you pedal.

The only ready-made dual-sided PM that will work with your Cobb cranks is the PowerTap C1 chainring, which is as discontinued product by a company that has been sold to another company, and which even when it existed was kinda an iffy idea (nevermind the irony of SRAM buying PowerTap, discontinuing their disposable powermeter chainrings, and then making their own disposable powermeter chainring).

I don't see why you couldn't get the alloy Cobbs, and then send them off to Stages or 4iii to get dual sided measurement installed - but of course check with them first?

Thanks for the response. I'll see if that's an option.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I wouldn't look twice. I have to charge my pedals and shifters :\

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

amenenema posted:

Recommendations on bike fit system/bike fitters? And bonus points if you know anyone in the Grand Rapids/West Michigan area. I'm down to throw a bike shop or individual a couple hundred bucks, but would also entertain "at home" systems - seems like I've seen some apps you can use??

I'm Southeast and I'm sitting outside my fitter's business right now so I can throw some places if you want to travel. Otherwise my suggestion if you're spending major hours on the bike is to go in person. Preferably someone that is also a PT and that is active in the sport. The apps are fine until they're not.

I think slowtwitch keeps a directory of recommendations for fitters in each state. GR has a lot of riders so I bet there is a real nice place.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Coredump posted:

Hey I'm in the SE as well. Who you got to recommend? Anyone in Georgia, land of the virus?

Sorry I meant SE Michigan.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there any reason why I can not convert my Canyon Aeroad's proprietary-integrated-ultra-special-stem-handlebar-combo into a traditional set-up with aftermarket parts? I'm still recovering from a back injury plus a small crash and so during 6+ hour rides I'd like to ride a little more upright while I heal. I'm maxed out on spacers so I'd like to commit the sin of having a positive rise on my stem.

Follow-up dumb question. Does the math work out conveniently that a -6 stem flipped to +6 would decrease drop by 12mm?

moctopus fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 29, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

None whatsoever, just going to be a massive faff if you have disc brakes because you'll need to disconnect the hoses.

Sin(12 degrees) ~= 0.2, so for a 100m stem you're looking at about 2cm.

http://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Thank you! Yeah I got disc brakes. I'll live!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

Just make sure you get a stem with the right (1 1/4") steerer.

Woah, just saved me. Thanks!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Is there a place I can get non-black spacers for a 1-1/4" tube? Specifically I'm trying to find some gold ones.

Trying to add a dash of color to my all-black-everything bike.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Cool. The bar and stem combination I bought aren't compatible even thought they're both 31.8mm because the steam has to be put on bars at a narrower position and then slid into place. That won't work with aero bars. I hate every bicycle and bicycle part manufacturer.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Can you post a picture? I’m confused by the stem part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAmXnDdgCo0

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yes it's a Ritchey. The place the faceplate and stem connect isn't cut down the middle so the opening isn't 31.8mm even though the inside diameter is. Just can't slide it on my aero bars.

And before I gently caress up again are the Giant OD2 stems 1-1/4" steerer tube compatible? From what I've interpreted they are and there's a shim to make them also fit 1-1/8" that can be removed. But none of the sites explicitly say that and many just list it as 1-1/8".

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

just wrap your bars with weed and coffee.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Did my annual ride your bike + eat ice cream a bunch ride yesterday. Usually it's a multi-day camping trip with friends, but this year we opted to do a one day three ice cream stop 150 mile ride around Southeastern Michigan.

Weather started at about 40F.

Shout out to my friend that did it with me. First bike ride in over a year. Didn't check on his bike before the ride started, unknowingly did the first 50 miles on half inflated tires, found out because of a flat at the first ice cream stop, and then after fixing the flat forgot to put his axle back on all the way. God drat he's a trooper.

I ate a lot of ice cream.

moctopus fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 20, 2020

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

:cripes:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

It was a 3 hour drive to get to a part of the state where I could climb 4616 ft over 122 miles.

Staying local I got 2907 ft over 150 miles.

I could always head to Boyne City and follow one of these routes, http://www.michiganmountainmayhem.com/mmmspringclassic/course-info/

Nothing too fun local though. Jealous.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

How do you guys normally size skinsuits and road-suits?

I wear a small aero-fit jersey, but large to extra large bibs. I never know which direction to go.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

bicievino posted:

With some you can purchase split sizing. That's what I do for my team kit at least.

Oh hell yeah that rules. Thanks!

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Two weeks ago I had some old guy shadowing me super close for 5-6 miles before he finally said that he just wanted to see if he could keep my pace, would have been nice for him to say that initially.

This is an old man specialty and happens all the god drat time. Just please say something and I'll be glad to tow you around.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Good luck. You guys will have a blast.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Cold out today

Pretty though

Nice shots.

What's the logo on your neck sock from? And do you ever do anything specific for your ears?

Nice giant robot in that second one.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Well this is new one for me.

I'll probably hold off until it's time for new sealant since I'm not gonna be outside until March probably.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Do you not have a valve tool? That’s like a 10second fix, it’ll take longer to pump the tire back up than to swap the core out.

I don't have a spare core.

I guess what I was primarily getting at is I'm just gonna wait until i yank it out anyway for when I pop the tire off for tubeless cleaning. I could grab one from a tube I guess.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

To be honest I'm just a lazy bum and I didn't think of popping the core for one from a tube and I didn't want to admit it to look cooler on the internet.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I feel cheated since trainer time counts for 0 miles even though it's harder work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

More importantly a higher RPM is more anaerobic which IIRC makes you more able to eat an entire pizza and a six pack of beer without gaining any more weight.

What?