Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

I raced 14 times between January 25 and March 8 because lol NCNCA schedule.

Too bad we're never gonna race again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

God drat.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Let's just make tracks really, really, really long straight lines.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pinning numbers on my skinsuit when I donít have a teammate is a pain. Anyone used the racedots on a bike?

A very light misting of 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It leaves no residue if you don't overdo it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Grasshopper Adventure Series // Huffmaster Hopper M30-39 (5th out of 58)

I had a custom Rock Lobster made last year. I barely rode it because it had a couple flaws and I was sadbrains thinking about it. A couple weeks ago my bud was like "do the next Grasshopper with me, idiot." It was a convincing argument so I signed up for the 30-39 age group with him (I'm 40.) I swapped out the 40mm WTB Nanos and put some 35mm Continental Terra Speeds on. I rode the bike once on the Palo Alto Noon Ride just to make sure everything was working. I ended up changing out the 120mm -7deg stem for a 110mm -17deg and everything felt good. In terms of race prep, the only concerns I had was hydration/nutrition during a 88mi 4800ft mixed tarmac/gravel race with one "feed station" where you can leave extra supplies. I ended up starting with two 26oz bottles with 9 scoops of Skratch Superfuel + 1g of beta-alanine each. I also carried a Hammer flask with ~6 gels worth as supplementary carbs in case the weather didn't call for drinking so much. At the feed I left a 50oz Camelbak just in case along with 22oz/26oz bottles of water ice and Superfuel. I also had another Hammer flask with caffeinated gel for the extra boost later in the race. As is customary, I pretty much wasn't able to sleep the night before the event.

- Raced hard from the start, the front group went from 50+ to about 18 in the first gravel sector.
- Got in a 3-man break on the next paved section and it quickly became a 2-man break. Over the next 10 miles, we lost sight of the chasers and picked up a straggler from the pro men's start for a while. He got dropped at the base of the first climb.
- I lost my temp riding buddy's wheel 2/3rds up the first and longest climb of the day where the average gradient is about 11%.
- Another climber type dropped the chase group, caught me and passed me before hitting the top.
- I took the descent medium-fast and reached the feed zone in what I thought was 3rd position.
- I loaded up on 2x 26oz bottles of Superfuel, a 22oz bottle of water ice to cool my core and also as extra hydration, plus the caffeinated gel flask.
- I rode off solo, occasionally picking up people who used me as a draft, but they weren't able to share the workload. I dropped them all and took on the next gravel climb solo.
- Near the top, the 40-49 wave's leaders had caught me. Initially I latched onto the two who were gapping everyone else on the climb, but decided to take it easy because the rest of their group wasn't far behind. I knew it would all come back together on the descent.
- Once we crested the hill, I was able to just sit on the back of the 40-49 group and had a nice, easy 20 miles, relatively speaking...at that point everyone was cooperative and we had become a mass of multiple starting waves, including some of the pro women and 20-29s.
- We absorbed climber dude into the blob.
- On the final climb of the day, there was more fine dirt / sand over the hardpack and I nearly ate poo poo rounding one corner, my rear first skipped on way, then I powered through it and it skipped in the other direction as I overcorrected. I lost momentum and could not reattach to the group.
- I also could not get a good feel for the following gravel descent. It had lots of corners and the same fine dirt / sand...it felt super sketchy, and I also have zero experience with gravel.
- I took it easy because I had like 15 minutes on the next fastest 30-39 by that point.
- Even the next flat gravel section was extremely sketch. There were times where my wheels would just sink into the loose stuff and I'd lose 2-3mph instantly with no warning.
- I ended up sitting behind some huge guy through the last gravel rollers until his drivetrain suidieded and I was off solo again.
- The last 8 miles or so were all paved and against the wind, it felt infinitely better than the gravel and I just set the cruise control to about 4w/kg and went into TT mode. I passed like a dozen people from various starting waves in those final 25min.

I finished the 88mi 4800ft course in 4h43m at 3.3w/kg avg, 3.75w/kg normalized. 5th officially, 4th among people who actually started in the correct wave.

Conclusion:
I don't know if I'd call it fun. I need to learn how to descend the really loose gravel bits. I excelled on the flat stuff, the harder packed dirt descent and of course the tarmac. I correctly followed an attack and contributed immediately, guaranteeing me a decent finish. The next closest guy finished 13 minutes back. It was fun because I have the fitness to go cover attacks, help make them work and then ride tempo basically forever.

Found me at the starting line:

Found me in the last 13mi:

Bike:

Strava:

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 24, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kimbo305 posted:

Was it just loose and not bumpy/rocky?
How much do you think could be helped from a different tread, and would that cancel out in the asphalt parts?

It was just loose and did not fit my definition of bumpy.

The narrower tires may have helped establish my initial breakaway, but I would have been totally fine keeping up in groups with chunkier tires. It's hard to say if I would have gotten a better result. The narrow tires ensured me 4th/5th place. Fatter, knobbier tires at best would have improved my finish by one spot.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

Love this race report.

How did you feel your hydration/nutrition plan worked out? Anything you'd change?

It was spot-on. I had enough hydration that I didn't need to be stingy. The gel flask was mostly insurance in case I dropped a bottle and lost about 500kcal/120g worth of carbs in doing so.

In the second half of the race, the additional bottle of solid ice was nice for its cooling effect and thawed sufficiently in my jersey pocket. The caffeine boost was also nice, but I only took two gulps of it because the Superfuel was working so well.

Standard disclaimer that I am accustomed to getting carbs from the bottle and already know that I can subsist entirely on gels without gutrot.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Race Report // Copperopolis

Lmao.

Fin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable