Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Check the tires for any sign of dry rot or fine cracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I have a 10 speed SRAM apex crankset and my non drive side crank is loose. I’ve tried tightening it but within a few miles it is a little loose again. I’m tightening the smaller inside bolt as much as I can and then tightening the outside cap against that. Have I wallowed out the splines and it’s done for at this point? Or is there anything I should be doing to get it to stay on and rigid.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Anachronist posted:

I have a 10 speed SRAM apex crankset and my non drive side crank is loose. I’ve tried tightening it but within a few miles it is a little loose again. I’m tightening the smaller inside bolt as much as I can and then tightening the outside cap against that. Have I wallowed out the splines and it’s done for at this point? Or is there anything I should be doing to get it to stay on and rigid.

GXP or BB30?
I assume GXP since you say NDS crank.

You shouldn't do anything with the outside cap (the 10mm one).
You should almost certainly be tightening down the 8mm inside bolt WAY harder than you are. 50Nm is more than you think.

If you are tightening it to full spec and it's still coming loose, then yeah the only things that can be wrong are the endcap-bolt or the spindle. Maaybe it'd be having issues if you are a combo where you need the wave washer but aren't using it? I think that's only pressfit GXP. https://www.sram.com/globalassets/d...om-brackets.pdf

If the spindle still looks okay, maybe try replacing the endcap-bolt in the NDS crank, but failing that I think it's time to upgrade.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 25, 2020

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Yes GXP. There is a little washer with a spindle shaped hole between the BB and crank that I am using. I will try really torquing the bolt and see how that helps. Maybe some threadlocker too? I don’t have a wave washer but skimming that pdf it looks like that is only for pressfit BBs. Mine is threaded.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
So I think I’m dead in the water with the repairs due to missing one tiny item: the ferrule thing that gets crimped onto the end of the shifter cable. 😡

I was going to replace my chain first, then install the new wire. Going through the park tool videos on chain replacement, you need a functioning derailleur to install and test the chain. Since I don’t have the cable installed, I decided to tackle that repair, instead.

Went and looked at videos for cable replacement to get this started. Turns out that the cable didn’t come with any ferrules. WTF? So now I gotta track down where to get these. I’m sure they can be ordered online, but paying shipping for 15 cent pieces of metal? I’d rather not.

Rant over, question time: I don’t have a bicycle specific cable cutter/crimper. But, I do have a cutter/crimped from electronics and soldering days.

Would my electric wire cutter/crimper work?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I just use a leatherman to crimp the ferrule.

It’ll be fine to ride without one on there until you can get one.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just capped a cable end the other day using heat-shrink tubing for electronics. Hasn't frayed yet. I tried solder once and it didn't work out but I might have just needed more flux.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The main thing you want a real bike cable cutter for is for trimming cable housing, and even then it's probably easier to get it cut straight with no burrs using a dremel or similar

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Dolemite posted:

Went and looked at videos for cable replacement to get this started. Turns out that the cable didn’t come with any ferrules. WTF? So now I gotta track down where to get these. I’m sure they can be ordered online, but paying shipping for 15 cent pieces of metal? I’d rather not.

I have a whole bunch of these, I can drop a few in the mail for you if you're in the US.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You bought a cable and housing? Just the cable? If the latter, I’m not that surprised.

quote:

I’m sure they can be ordered online, but paying shipping for 15 cent pieces of metal? I’d rather not.
So you’re going to the LBS?

quote:

I’m not sure if I’d subject the wire cutter to steel. It might only be hard enough for copper. Crimping should be fine.

colonel tom
Mar 1, 2012

:hmmrona:

Anachronist posted:

Yes GXP. There is a little washer with a spindle shaped hole between the BB and crank that I am using. I will try really torquing the bolt and see how that helps. Maybe some threadlocker too? I don’t have a wave washer but skimming that pdf it looks like that is only for pressfit BBs. Mine is threaded.

I had this same issue. I know I installed it to spec initially but it eventually worked loose. I re-torqued it and everything has been fine since, so I'd try that before using threadlocker. As stated though, 50NM is a lot of force so if you don't have a torque wrench don't be afraid to really crank it down.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I have an apex gxp crankset on my travel bike, and don't bother with a torque wrench when I travel, I just crank the fucker down like hell.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

sram and shimano cranks are absolutely fine without a torque wrench. The FSA cranks with the pinch bolts are the ones you have to watch out for (and maybe they still gently caress up even with proper torque? Don't know, don't care).

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Dolemite posted:

Use a drop of super glue.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Use a drop of super glue.

The ends of cables come glued from the factory, this is what I'd go with.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been super gluing end caps instead of crimping them for the last few years, it leads to way less fraying

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I use epoxy.

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Thufir posted:

I have a whole bunch of these, I can drop a few in the mail for you if you're in the US.

That would be awesome! I'm probably going to go ahead and replace the other cables, so it would be nice to have some ferrules on hand.

I don't have DMs on here, so you can email me at jmgolz at gmail dot com.

kimbo305 posted:

You bought a cable and housing? Just the cable? If the latter, I'm not that surprised.

Yeah, just the cable. I assumed that it would come with a ferrule. Lesson learned!

---

Thanks again for the all of the advice! Looks like I can go ahead and make the repairs! This will be a great way to spend a rainy day.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I installed an externally routed dropper last week. The process went smoothly enough, but when I cut the cable after routing it through the lever, the cable went *SPROINGGG*.

I was, initially, loving mad because this sucks a bunch, but after 10-15 minutes of fiddling with it, I tucked all the stray pubes into the cap and crimped the sumbitch down anyway.

Thanks for the advice, next time I'll have a better idea.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I made a tutorial to share with aspiring wheel builders for calculating spoke lengths.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ULyPizAvmtR_SJlOeXDUb4XNIsOIiFklmvbsKRrEAMQ/edit?usp=sharing

I did not make a tutorial on how to physically measure a hub and rim. Figure that out yourself.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

CopperHound posted:

I made a tutorial to share with aspiring wheel builders for calculating spoke lengths.
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ULyPizAvmtR_SJlOeXDUb4XNIsOIiFklmvbsKRrEAMQ/edit?usp=sharing

I did not make a tutorial on how to physically measure a hub and rim. Figure that out yourself.
This is really awesome and well made, thank you!
I've seen formulas tossed around, but nothing that in depth really.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The guy I get spokes from won't let you do the math. He has a strict 'I-cut = I-measure' policy and I can imagine all the fun mistakes that led to him having to do that.

Marco YOLO
Jun 2, 2013
Has anyone had trouble with monarch shocks sticking down? My rc3 is stuck down, sounds like common problem and that I need to do an air can service and replace the seals to fix it. NSMB make it sound common but an easy fix https://nsmb.com/articles/care-for-your-debonair/

I’ve removed all the air and the shock is fully compressed, which the SRAM manual says means there is still air pressure in the can, and I should put a rag through the eyelet to stop the shock exploding apart. Straight under this is a warning saying don’t dis-assemble a pressurised shock, which kind of contradicts the previous instruction.

I think the air pressure must be in the negative spring, and I’m ok to take the shock apart as long as I do the rag through the eyelet part, is that right? Also, none of the guides say how difficult removing the mounting hardware is without the tool ha, they just say take the hardware off like everything slides apart no problem

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Does this chainring look ok, or is it due for replacement?
Edit: struggling with phone posting.

MalleusDei fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 1, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Dolemite posted:

Rant over, question time: I don’t have a bicycle specific cable cutter/crimper. But, I do have a cutter/crimped from electronics and soldering days.

As others said - don't use an electrical wire cutter

Your best bet is go down to the local auto parts store and buy a steel cable cutter from there. A cheap one will be $5-$10 and you'll be able to get it immediately instead of waiting for shipping on an expensive bike specific tool.

While you are there you can pick up an awl to tidy up the inner sheath of the outer after you cut it with them.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Realized I ought to have posted this here, not in the MTB thread.

Where might I find a Shimano I spec II mounting bracket for a dropper remote in the time of Covid? I had a wee bit of a crash on the weekend and the mounting piece sheared off in the fall. Impossible to find locally. As far as I can tell it's a generic mount that came on my 2018 Stumpjumper. The dropper post is a X-Fusion Manic.

Below pic shows the sheared mounting bracket on the left and the dropper lever on the right.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

MalleusDei posted:

Does this chainring look ok, or is it due for replacement?
Edit: struggling with phone posting.

The big ring? There is some wear, but I see people riding much worse without trouble. If it shifts fine and new chains mate up nicely without any gaps between it and the rollers there is no harm in going until the teeth get more deformed.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

CopperHound posted:

The big ring? There is some wear, but I see people riding much worse without trouble. If it shifts fine and new chains mate up nicely without any gaps between it and the rollers there is no harm in going until the teeth get more deformed.

Thanks, some of the teeth looked a little shark finny, so I wanted a second opinion.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

MalleusDei posted:

Thanks, some of the teeth looked a little shark finny, so I wanted a second opinion.

On a 2x drivetrain, the big ring teeth will have different profiles to facilitate the upshift...this trips people out sometimes. The small ring's teeth should be uniform.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

norp posted:

While you are there you can pick up an awl to tidy up the inner sheath of the outer after you cut it with them.

Or if you have a busted wheel you've yet to cut up or a snapped spoke laying around just make a pokey spoke with a grinder or file. A spoke ground down to a point is an incredibly useful shop tool.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
Is there any practicality to put sealant in a tube? Trying to max out my wife's flat protection without springing for tubeless tires until these Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28 clinchers wear out (and she's not gonna be fixing a flat out on the road on her own).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hawkline posted:

Is there any practicality to put sealant in a tube? Trying to max out my wife's flat protection without springing for tubeless tires until these Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28 clinchers wear out (and she's not gonna be fixing a flat out on the road on her own).

Yep it works well, not as well as true tubeless, but a lot better than nothing.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

EvilJoven posted:

Or if you have a busted wheel you've yet to cut up or a snapped spoke laying around just make a pokey spoke with a grinder or file. A spoke ground down to a point is an incredibly useful shop tool.

So many uses for a broken spoke, I'd never considered this one. Everywhere I've worked on bikes uses the cheapest engineers' scriber on ebay.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sometimes I make double butted or bladed pokey spokes just so I can look down my nose at plebs using straight gauge pokey spokes. :smuggo:

Edit: another incredibly useful spoke based tool is to curl the spoke around tight to make a handle and affix the magnet from a speed sensor on the two ends, using the j bend for additional security. Use that thing to fish bearings out of hubs and stuff.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 2, 2020

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

EvilJoven posted:

Sometimes I make double butted or bladed pokey spokes just so I can look down my nose at plebs using straight gauge pokey spokes. :smuggo:

Edit: another incredibly useful spoke based tool is to curl the spoke around tight to make a handle and affix the magnet from a speed sensor on the two ends, using the j bend for additional security. Use that thing to fish bearings out of hubs and stuff.
If you regularly wax your chain, an old spoke bent like below comes in really handy for replacing your chain.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If you’re waxing your chain and not using a connex link I don’t know what to tell you

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If you’re waxing your chain and not using a connex link I don’t know what to tell you

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Calm down, I just used a stock photo!

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

EvilJoven posted:

A bladed spoke is easier to control than round one. The j-bend can be a super useful hook for fishing cables through internal routed stuff, you can also exaggerate the j-bend a bit to help.
Pro-pro-tip. You can also slide some housing over your homemade spoke tool for a bit of a better grip and to make it magnetic so you can stick it to your toolbox or truing stand or whatever.
I also used to cut down nipples and thread them onto the spoke backwards leaving a few threads exposed. Its super useful to hold a new nipple in place when you need to insert it into a rim. I got the EVT nipple holder and never looked back though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Is that similar to the quick link on a KMC chain or does it have some special sauce to it?

Answered my own question. Connex links can be installed/removed tool free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-JRkZwuLAs

Coredump fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 2, 2020