Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Development posted:

corsas flat really easily. get some GP5ks

Does this apply to the control version too or just the base corsas? Was actually thinking of getting the controls because the contis are pissing me off.

I've put about a thousand kms on my gp5k and I've gotten a flat 4 times on the rear tire (front too once, that was a pinch flat from doing something stupid), every single time through the thread. Not even anything as exciting as broken glass, just small stones (looked like aggregate), thorns, and just last night I discovered what looked like a single metal wire strand which put a pinhole leak in two tubes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

bicievino posted:

I'm at 1500 mi on my corsa controls (28, tubeless) and haven't had an issue, despite rolling through a fair bit of glass on a regular basis.

Guessing tubeless makes a bigger difference there than tire brand and make. 90% sure sealant would have sealed all my flats they were that small. I'm considering going tubeless but I've heard it's bad to run TL tires of hooked rims because of the low contact area between the bead and rim? How big a risk is that?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

bicievino posted:

Both are easy but also kinda annoying. You need to buy a bleed kit, which costs more than it should for what it is.
If it's SRAM, you need to be cautious about the DOT fluid because it can gently caress up your paint and/or hands (the Shimano mineral oil isn't great for you, but not as bad).
I certainly wouldn't roll my eyes at someone saying they just rely on the shop to take care of it.

What's the minimum kit need? The various kits seem to come with different equipment, double syringes vs one, reservoir / no reservoir etc..

Am I right to assume that to do a gravity bleed you just need a reservoir, no syringe required?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Yeah Shimano road

TobinHatesYou posted:

Shimano is generally one syringe and one threaded cup, but a syringe can be used too. The SRAM system is necessarily closed on both ends because DOT fluid is both hydrophilic and a caustic base. The second syringe is nice because you can agitate the system by pulling and pushing on the top plunger, releasing trapped air bubbles.

Could I gravity bleed with just the threaded cup? Like just keep the reservoir topped out until all the old fluids out and all the air bubbles have escaped

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Bought a new handlebar and only realised afterwards that the lack of external channel on the underside means I'd need to disconnect the hydraulic brake hose on both levers just to run them through that small section :smithicide:

Pic of the handlebar in question

I'm using Shimano R8070 without the quick-disconnects on the hoses. Any chance I can disconnect, route it through that small section without necessitating a bleed like in this gmbn video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzlOIhcBkak

I'm guessing manipulating the hoses through that channel would require a bit more flexing of the hose than in that video, is there some kind of seal I should attach to the lever end of the hose to stop fluid from leaking out in the process?