Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

MacPac posted:

do any of you have some weird old tricks for unseating tight beads from rims? Im getting a wicked forearm workout from trying to remove this conti gp 5000 tire, but its not coming off :(

Have you tried swearing a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've been super gluing end caps instead of crimping them for the last few years, it leads to way less fraying

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Clark Nova posted:

I use the 4oz Orange Seal bottle that comes with a little hose. I had a Stan's syringe but the plunger dried out and cracked in under a year. You don't really need to inject the sealant through the valve with MAXIMUM FORCE - turning a bottle upside down to drain is sufficient

:same:

I've been using the same orange injector bottle since day one and just buy the refill bottles. It does the job.
I scribbled the weight of how much the right amount is on the side and fill it on my kitchen scale

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah that's some wrecked threads

Those non threaded repair BBs work really well but don't forget you'll need 2 BB tools to tighten it up. Its one of those things you don't realise till you go to install it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thom ZombieForm posted:

Edit: Oh I see.. could be alright then, taking a short ride to test

Its a little bit higher than it should be but if it shifts fine i'd really not worry about it

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Dangerllama posted:

but I found myself thinking, “there has to be a better way.”

New shimano stuff has fixed this fwiw. Its really simple getting enough tension, you don't need an inline adjuster and its even got marks to line up to set it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Voodoofly posted:

I’m new to tubeless tires and, let’s face it, a bike novice overall when it comes to maintenance.

I’ve taken my new MTB for one real ride. Seemed fine after the ride but a day later and the rear tire can’t hold any pressure. I’ve pumped it up to 30 psi twice now and it’s flat as can be in a couple hours. I can’t see any specific puncture to plug, and I can’t hear any audible leak. Any advice is appreciated on how to figure out what is going on although might just be for future knowledge as I’m almost certainly going to call the shop tomorrow.

If you've got a container big enough (or a bath), get the wheel under water and find the bubbles. It could just need half a turn on the valve nut

Did it definitely come with sealant in there?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Voodoofly posted:

What about using it to do a quick degrease or get rid of water on the chain after you clean, but before you reapply lube?

If you're looking to do that grab a can of GT85 instead, I use it all the time in the winter for just that

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Also you shouldn't be jamming both brakes on at once. Almost all your braking power comes from the front, so use that first. You may be locking up and dragging the rear slightly without even noticing

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Bottom Liner posted:

No, I mean in the spoke holes under the main section of the rim. In the V under the U if that makes sense.

I would probably just buy a new bike

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Weird creepy white glove hands crew represent

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

If you're using a chain cleaner probably the cheapest stuff you can find in a large bottle

The scrubbers will do most of the hard work

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'd suggest either a spooky ghost messing with you or possibly you got a bump on the head

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Clark Nova posted:

someone reprogrammed your Di2 setup as a joke

or a spooky ghost :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Al2001 posted:

Just returning to this post because I finally bought and fitted one of these (on the recommendation of my local bike co-op as well as CopperHound.) Problem is it always comes loose after a few miles of pedalling. I torque it as hard as I can by hand, and the second time I used blue Loctite as well, but it still came loose. Not sure what my next step should be. Red Loctite?

I've got one of those on my commuter and yeah just a whole bunch of torque with 2 BB tools

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Isn't it just a built in chain tug?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Are you able to screw in the locking bolt/screw?

If you can't you might need to adjust the pushrod

This video covers it https://youtu.be/BcZKtFI8Els

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just checked the compatibility for those pads and they claim to fit, but yeah maybe they are just a bit thicker

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I have mates who destroy the stuff too and I really don't know how. The fizik soft touch stuff I've got on mine I've had for over 2 years and whilst it's worn in places it's still basically fine

I guess I've got a fairly light touch on the bars? Maybe some people properly grip them. Or have acidic sweat

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I guess that also depends on if you wear gloves and climate too

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My money is on the valve not being tight enough or a the wrong shape for the rim

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I like the muc off ones, you can get them in pretty colours :sparkles:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

mexecan posted:

Stan’s

Found the problem

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I was just reading this review of ufo drip and remembered why it's not really a thing round here

https://road.cc/content/review/ceramicspeed-ufo-drip-new-formula-280971

Yeah

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

TobinHatesYou posted:

I did over 160km with Silca Super Secret and it didn’t make any noise. UFO Drip doesn’t last as long as Silca in dry conditions and does act differently…it is a lot drier itself. I have not tried it in very wet conditions.

I did about 110km on Flower Power in the aftermath of a storm with wet roads and it started squealing.

I doubt wooger has done wet rides or used all three of these lubes. He’s likely operating on his own prior experience with something like Squirt. And yes they do take time to set/cure after application, but so does everything else besides oil-based lubes. I just wipe my chain down and reapply after rides since I do this weird thing called sleeping every night.

Whilst I do appreciate you've apparently been lucky enough to try every chain, lube and bike part in existence, you don't ride in the British winter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Slavvy posted:

I'm surprised nobody has developed some kind of automatic chain oiler device like a scottoiler on motorbikes

One of the pro teams ran one for a bit, orica GE maybe? Was a dumb gimmick as far as I could tell. It certainly didn't catch on

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

https://road.cc/content/review/223827-flaer-revo

There you go, hilariously expensive

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The whole point of the tool you can only tighten with your finger and thumb, is that it only needs tightening to thumb tight..

The bolts are to blame here

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Anything that rubs if you ride it long enough it'll go away :shuckyes:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've not ridden on a tubed bike in 5 or 6 years now at least, across summer/winter/commuter bikes

If you do it properly, not hacking it, and using good sealant it's absolutely worth it on the road

I've had to put a tube in once, on a 2 inch glass cut that nothing would have prevented

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vikingstrike posted:

Tubeless all the bikes. But if you don’t want to, that’s ok too. The most important thing is riding your bike

Pick a side :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I got a read of the official 'how to inspect a shimano death crank' dealers/mechanics guide yesterday

I'm sure someone will put it on the internet soon enough, but it's basically just a visual check of a few highlighted spots after disassembling and cleaning

There's no mechanical testing involved

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

There we go then

Had a quick look over both my pairs last night and guess I'll be getting a new crankset :confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

E:wrong thread