Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Spyres would be infinitely better if they had a way to lock the piston adjustment in place like with BB7s or a set screw or something. They rely only on threadlocker, which is inadequate. The Spykes on my fatbike have never needed adjusting other than for pad wear, despite being the same design but for mountain bike levers. I'm guessing it's because on that bike I'm not going fast enough for things to heat up to the point where the threadlocker melts.

A high heat threadlocker that doesn't need a torch to loosen like Rocksett would probably fix the issue, but I can't find it in Canada for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

LordOfThePants posted:

What's the consensus on bike repair stands? Looking at the PCS10.2 from Park Tool.

When a friend of mine got into cycling he picked up a Feedback Sports sport mechanic stand for basic maintenance and while it was overkill for him it gave me the opportunity to borrow it so as to not deal with the folding ironing-board stand I had been using up to then. It was spending so much time at my place that I picked up a used one of my own when I saw one on Kijiji.

It's been the recommended pick on the Wirecutter for years since I'm guessing there's not much that can be improved on without making things more expensive. Folds up well enough to pack away neatly, and I can always have it in the truck if there's a chance that someone wants to learn how to fix or adjust something on a bike. It's so much easier to explain things and get concepts across on a swivel stand.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bike-repair-stand/
https://www.feedbacksports.com/product/sport-mechanic-repair-stand/

Holds my 40lb commuter just fine, and the same goes with my 50lb fatbike when it's all winterized.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Going to a zero offset post on my touring bike made a huge difference for me. The frame was a touch too large for me with a regular seatpost but after giving one a try it feels perfect.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I'm switching back to brifters from bar end shifters on my rainy-day commuting bike, what's the best way to clean/condition the old hoods to keep them going as long as possible? I'll be putting on a pair of 9-speed 5500/6500 levers and hoods were next to nonexistent when I wanted to replace a peeling set a couple years ago. I got really lucky and found a replacement pair in the dusty new-old stock section of a LBS but at this point that's probably gonna be it.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Spyres also don't have a way to lock the pad clearance in place other than thread locker, which is useless since blue loctite can't handle the heat of even moderate braking. Every time I dial in just right it ends up loosening within a week, not enough to be super dangerous but it's annoying to have the ability to get it perfect on both sides but it doesn't stay that way.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Me? I say bigger looks cooler so add an adapter and go with 180s.

I'd go 203 front if I could but I don't think anyone makes touring forks that can handle the brake stress, at least the last time I checked. 180 front and back will have to do for now with 120kg of bike, rider and gear.

I wonder if anyone makes a dual-disc fork and hub combo to help with the heat by allowing you to alternate which rotor is in use. Would probably handle and feel weird as hell, and I'm not sure it'd even help all that much with dissipation being so close together and thermally connected.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

evil_bunnY posted:

That's every sports/literbike ever and it's fine. It's down to design/implementation more that configuration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggMO-AV5RpE

drat, this thing looks sick as hell. Apparently you can get dual rotor hubs instead of doing the CNC yourself, but right now the only option appears to be Aliexpress. Maybe it's something we'll see more of in the future as e-bikes become more common.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Part of the realness of steel is that you can weld that poo poo right back up.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think the Free Radical is discontinued so even if a proper repair cost a lot I get the feeling it'd be cheaper than a whole new cargo bike. It might be worth getting in touch with dedicated frame builders who are more knowledgeable with bicycle tubing about how to do a permanent fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://boltsupply.com/

See if you have a place like that in your industrial area. Just rows and rows and rows of bins of every fastener you can imagine.