Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

CopperHound posted:

I keep seeing people saying this, but I am yet to see any evidence of it being effective.

I tried it a couple years ago, got a pin hole puncture just as I got to the station and sealant just started spraying out of the hole and never sealed it. I assume the powder they put in tubes to keep them from bonding when deflated hosed with it, or at least caused the flakes to bond so they couldn't plug the hole. Haven't tried again since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Hawkline posted:

My wife put a nickel sized hole in the Lycra of her favorite canari cycling pants near the knee. Do any of you repair your own clothing? Do the iron on kits suffice or should this be a sewing job?

I've done a bit. Iron-on will probably look better unless you're great at sewing, but you'll probably loose stretchiness there, and if you use the drier after washing them, it'll probably fail eventually. If you've got any old trashed lycra stuff laying around you can cut a patch out of, sewing a lycra patch would be the best in the long run.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Tubes stretch and expand when you inflate them, they get really big if there is no tire to contain them. If you deflate you'll see it's the same size as your tire/rim

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Bahco sells a set but it's in a cheap plastic wallet and not a rigid plastic holder. My quick searching doesn't show any rigid holders with 12mm so you might be out of luck on that end if you want something to throw in a toolbag.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It's normal, how long have they been installed for? I've had it happen to every cable housing over time. Tight fitting housing ferrules will minimize it since they'll keep the end flush better. It shouldn't be affecting brake feel at all since it's just the wires shifting through the housing and not spreading apart inside.

e: It might affect feel, but that'll be if the strands sticking out are compressing when you pull the level if they're pushing the housing away from the ferrule/cable stop and not because the rest of the cable is compromised.

FireTora fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 4, 2020

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Yeah, not much more you can do really then. It's partly from bending the housing making the strands go different distances. Installing the housing and then doing the final cut while it's as close to its final position as possible will probably minimize it since then all the strands will be slightly different lengths.

The real solution to the problem is to get hydro discs though.:science:

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Check your axles first, sounds like it might not be tight. If it is see if there is any bearing play.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Leaks without an obvious gusher are one of 3 things:
-Dried up/no sealant (sealant needs to get sloshed around real good to cover every surface)
-Bad tape job
-bad seal around valve stem - often a bad tape job is mistaken for a bad valve stem seal just because that is where the air escapes.

Could also be a failing/gummed up valve core if its old enough or gummed up with enough sealant. Had to replace one last month since it wouldn't fully seal anymore.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It looks like the locknut probably came off, take a look at this park tool video, they show the whole spindle taken apart at ~3 minutes. I'd unscrew the part that's still in the pedal body and if all the parts are still there, just put it back together with some new grease.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVmSrsnVUGI

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

wooger posted:

Thanks, that video makes sense, but doesn’t explain how the whole pedal body fell off in the street. And I’m not sure there’s anything else left in the pedal body to re-attach other than grease. Will have a poke around.

The little nut that he's tightening in the thumbnail is the lock nut that holds the assembly together. It's screwed onto the axle. If those 2 nuts came undone the bearing 'sleeve' can come right off and that is what is screwed into the pedal body. That ring that is still on your axle is probably the seal that the grease is pushing through in the video.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It's fine, they'd make it fall under normal wear and tear anyway. I put clear film on all my new bikes now in a couple places to prevent that as much as possible. Long term there might be a small chance you can wear through the cable housing/brake hose, but that would be years,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Invalido posted:

i didn't know those existed. If I can find one for anywhere close to that price here in the eurozone imma get one of them. Stupid schwalbe marathon plus hard-rear end tires to mount grumble grump.

I know Cykelgear has one, but most of the big German shops probably some something comparable in price as well. You could also order from Ali and wait a month for it to show up.