Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

ExecuDork posted:

On my ride (almost) to work this morning I noticed my chain was jumping sometimes under heavy load, like when I shift to an easier gear and then push to climb the hill. It jumps once, stays in the same gear, and then I keep going. I had a closer look and there's plenty of black greasy guk on the upper of the two small cogs on the rear derailleur, and if I pedal backwards the chain kinda half-slides-off that cog, which explains the jump when I pedal forwards again.

I guess I missed a spot or two when I cleaned my bike, and I'll try to take care of that this weekend. My medium-term plan is to get this bike up to "acceptable" for my commute, then start thinking about either replacing it, replacing major parts of it, or just getting a second bike of some kind (probably something more mountain-bike-like, there's a small network of trails at my university I'd eventually like to explore). Regarding "replacing major parts", the chain and everything it touches is the obvious candidate.

What kind of shifter do you have? On an indexed shifter, if the jockey wheel winds up between gears, putting more load on the chain can cause it to jump between gears.

Check if you have a barrel adjuster near the shifter that you can use to slightly tighten or loosen the tension on the shift cable.

e: saw your picture in the other thread. Definitely try adjusting the cable tension with the barrel adjuster before you start replacing parts. Quarter-turn at a time until the shifts feel snappier.

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I was just looking up hazardous waste disposal with bikes, and now I'm just generally confused.

Can any of the following go in the trash?
Lube, degreaser, cleaning fluids?
Rags used to clean surfaces with those products?
Disposable gloves used to work with those products?

It feels like the answer is no to all three. But how do you collect degreaser? And do you dump all three of those categories into a metal can and then take them to an auto shop, or do you keep them separate?

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
New used bike. It's a steel frame and has a completely seized aluminum seatpost. There is a gap between the post and the tube. Can I drip ammonia in that gap over a few days or do I need to disassemble the bottom bracket and fill the whole tube with ammonia?

Giant Metal Robot fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 12, 2021

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
After trying lots of ways of twisting the post, I pried it open a little to help get more penetration for my oil. The gap is less than .5 mm. And now I'm realizing I'm probably fighting aluminum oxide.