Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Not an awful idea. I get my BB removal tool in the mail on tuesday, so I'm going to let'er be for a minute. In the same package comes my grease, so I'd be all about not jamming this dirty-rear end rusty seatpost in lest I gently caress poo poo up.

The best part about new tools is that not only do you get to fix your own bikes, but you can also help out your buddies with their bikes as well.

Also:

Chill Callahan posted:

May or may not have gone nuts on this build but its 100% Italian in one way or another (sans pedals)

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
BIke + borrowed rear wheel

Since last image way back when I got it I've changed out the crankset (and bottom bracket) handlebars+bar tape, and bottle cages. I wish that wheel and it's mate were mine. Mostly just because I think deep wheels look really cool.

Looking at it, I could maybe stand to rotate those bars a bit further forward/down.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

redcheval posted:

FORTHCOMING. I got too excited to ride it and didn’t take one. I also bought new pedals for it but I’m too newb to know exactly how to put them on but I really want to. Then I will be done with upgrades*

*hahahaha

Your bike is super rad, yo.

Regarding changing pedals: When you're taking pedals off you're always turning your wrench towards the back of the bike, and when you're screwing new ones on rotate towards the front of the bike. This is true for both sides of the bike. Make sure to grease the threads a bit. They should feel like they're screwing in really easily until they bottom out, at which point you don't need to torque them a whole bunch, just make sure they're snug. If you encounter significant resistance before you bottom out, you're probably going in at an angle and cross-threading. Stop wrenching, back them out, and start again so you don't strip out your cranks.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Before and after so far on my commuter/ around town bike, in preparation for tomorrow's forecasted 6" of snow:

Before:

After:

Still needs new brake pads and a much shorter stem, but it's rideable while I sort all that out. The parts I threw on were the quill to threadless stem converter, a free parts bin 120mm Orbea stem, and some 42 cm wide compact drops I took off my road bike. The fenders are the same Portland Design Works ones I used last year, the tires are the same 45North Gravdals I used last year.

I kind of also want to find a way to further modify the front fender to reduce interference with the shift cables, but it hasn't felt like it's having a noticeable effect yet, so I guess I don't feel too pressured to do it. Once the reach is more manageable I might drop the handlebars down a bit further too, I'll have to see how it feels.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Anza Borrego posted:

Those fenders are really wild. No splatter on the front? It seems so short!

They cover a huge amount of space underneath me, right where the wheel is first carrying any liquid or debris up towards me as long as I'm moving forward. The direction most stuff is going on the other side of the forks means it's not going to hit me anyway most of the time. If I were to try moving the fender further forward more, a part of that would be cutting it up to get it around the front tube, but I don't know that I really need to.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

You're a braver man than I, swapping to drops for winter.

It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, the parts just happened to finally show up at the same time as the snow. Ideally I'd have been riding them before, but this is how the timing turned out.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've got that setup in my garage, and I also really like it.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for road shoes? My feet are a little narrow with slightly high arches. I'm looking for something with plenty of room to set the cleats back from the back of my foot. Also, does anyone have a link to that chart that compared different brand's sizing?

E: whoops, didn't realize this was the wrong thread.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 29, 2020

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Look at this dumb fun junker I just bought:

I'm fairly certain this is a Pure cycles fix that came in black and got rattlecanned blue. That makes it heavy-rear end hi-tensile steel.
Not pictured: the kickstand, bent narrow risers, and barely functional ancient no-brand center pull brakes that came on it. I had to slap some drops on it to ride it around the block a few times before I tear it apart.

It's snowing again now, which will make it easier to take it apart before I'm tempted to ride it again. In addition to cleaning up/re-greasing/replacing bearings my current plan is to strip the paint, blue the steel, and clearcoat over it a la the OldShovel youtube channel. I kinda want to give it a goofy name to mask off first and have show through raw. I'm open to suggestions on what that should be.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 21, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I was going to wait until new cranks arrived to post this, but they're stuck somewhere in shipping limbo and I'm impatient. So:

Look at this dumb fun deathtrap:

Those lovely swaged cranks definitely have play with the chainring, and it's super noticeable every time I want to slow down/skid. Also that chainring is bent a little bit, just not enough to drop the chain. There's no world in which I ride this without brakes, or for much more than around the block until they get replaced.

The original plan was to blue the whole frame, but it's stainless aluminum I guess so it's only the forks. There's a few layers of clear coat on all of it. Honestly, it probably looks better this way. The mountain bike tube frame protector is the cherry on top.

That or the as-silly-as-I-could-make-it brake setup:

It's reasonably practical too, since I like to stay in the drops.

I bought this basically out of a scrap heap to build up a a short-distance commuter/toy, and for about $200 total (including the aforementioned crankset), I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Beater bikes are fun too.

Before pic (not counting the bent short risers I immediately swapped) for those interested:

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on May 14, 2021

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Development posted:

are you sure about this? this looks a lot like aluminum, not stainless.

I'm not terribly sure, no. It's not magnetic, but from what little I read some stainless isn't either. The frame (not including forks) is almost exactly 4 lbs, which might be on the heavy side of aluminum? The thing that made me lean towards stainless is that I used an angle grinder with a wire cup to help remove the the paint after the chemical stripper, and it didn't mar the metal a ton. I could easily be wrong though.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

That unicrown fork might be carbon fiber under the paint

Har har.

If stainless is uncommon and expensive then it's probably aluminium, and I guess the wire cup I used isn't very harsh. I was basing my assumption on all of about 10mins of googling things like "how to tell stainless vs aluminum."

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
That pinarello is a thing of beauty bicievino, especially in that blue.

In contrast, here's my silly junky fixed gear, now complete with not-broken cranks and pedals:

I also took the opportunity to take photos of my other two bikes as well.

Gravel rig/tow truck for my kid's trailer:

Road bike:

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Not my bike, but my best buddy (who really got me into cycling more seriously to begin with) just built up a fixie, and it's super tight. He got a Planet X Sealth Pro TT frame, and a buddy of his who works at a body shop repainted it for him in a really nice champagne sparkle that looks silver, pink, and more depending on the lighting.

Older zipp handlebars, sram commuter cranks. The whole thing is about 17 lbs, and it's sprightly and snappy to ride.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I got lucky with my early tries and found that Ergon saddles work really well for me. Not too flat or too swoopy, nice pressure relief cutout, a little room to move around if need be. One of their mountain bike ones is just the road saddle with a smidge more padding and it's been great for gravel, but the road saddle shape/padding level has been good on pavement for me.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It hit the mid 60s for the first time this year on my day off this past week. Took the opportunity to go out with the "new" wheels for the first time. It's all the very finest in mid-tier early 2010's technology.

God drat I missed riding outdoors, bike are so good.

It's supposed to be nearly 70 tomorrow, I think I've gotta make time to go on a long one.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Put my fair weather commuter on a weight loss plan. Before:

After (4.5lbs lighter):

I went from whatever deep aluminum rims it came out of the junkyard with (they look like the ones that come standard on Pure cycles bikes) to Wabi sub-15 super lights. Black rims were out of stock, but the silvers with black tires/chain still look sharp IMO. It rides clean and snappy, even with a smaller cog than before. Gotta admit I'm pretty pleased.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Lex Neville posted:

they do and you have every right to be! that's a neat bike and a poo poo ton of weight lost. do you not mind there not being any tape higher up on the bars?

I don't mind at all, but I only really ride it in the drops. I'm fortunate to have good flexibility and a short commute.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Cleaned up my winter commuter just in time for 4" more snow to fall. Cleared the drive last night, time to go cruise with a buddy today. It has snowed a lot this year.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Oveja Negra has already been mentioned, but Fish Ski designs also does great colorful stuff as well if you’re willing to wait for a drop. His handlebar bags that convert to a fanny packs are great if you want a commuter pack that you don’t have to leave on the bike to tempt thieves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I got a new (to me) mountain bike:

Because my wife said I needed it to keep up with her on her new(to her) mountain bike

We have almost completed our garage wall of bikes (leftmost bike is a family friend's in temporary storage here).

Why yes, the only bike shop for 100 miles is a trek shop, why do you ask?