Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kill me now posted:

I will, after the ultegra one is worn out

Actually get this one

https://www.connexchain.com/en/product/connex-11sb-black-edi.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this would look great in matte black

I hate this post

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Hmm, is there a way to carry both sizes and quick switch between them?

How about a QR chainring?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ultegra with the flat pedals that somehow keep appearing in my house is throwing me for one.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

My frankenbike in front of the tree that serves as my baseline, get-fit-ish standard for "I made it this far up the hill".
First bike commute for me in Armidale by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

First attempt to commute by bike, heck first real ride on a bike in 11 years.
https://www.strava.com/activities/4169640435
Point and laugh at my gasping, feeble response to a short, lovely, commute.

Nice, man. Thats a decent amount of elevation for that length of a commute. At least you get the descent on the way home.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Inject this into my veins

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

So much ice. So much fun.

How do you like those Axiom panniers? A few on eBay for $85 for the set of the p55+. I don’t need them but I showed a few friends.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

They suck but they're cheap

A ringing endorsement! Thanks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

mine sucks too, hits my thighs. recommendations for a smaller one?

Silca Mattone

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wear thin socks. They’re so insanely warm.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

45nrth Wolvhammer BOA. They normally retail for $400 Canadian but I didn't pay nearly that much. I'm hoping that the covid bike boom turns into a huge crop of new riders that want gear like this. It'd maybe open up the market and drive prices down and make it more accessible to everyone.

Are you thinking of the Wolfgars that are meant for much colder temperatures? I would have bought them if they didn't fit me horribly. The Wolvhammers are known for not being super warm. I actually put the insulated insoles from my hunting waders in em for a little more warmth and went a size up so I could put 2 layers of socks for when I go ride in stupid cold temperatures.

I wish my phone hadn't died when I pulled it out to take a pic of my bike. Whatever, ride successful and clipless fatbiking is awesome.

I have the Wolvhammers and my feet sweat like a pig if it's over maybe 20F.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

loaf posted:

New cable housings and bar tape. Wish the tape was darker brown.

I like the look of this a lot. That is one hell of a steerer tube.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What tire choice would you use for that? Looks mostly asphalt but how long are those dirt and gravel sections?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Clamp the seatpost vs. the frame. If you clamp it too hard you’d much rather replace the post instead of the frame.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pedal pins are life

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wait you’re using your shins to move the pedals to where you want them when stopped? What?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

a loathsome bird posted:

What fork cages are you using there? Looking at Salsa Everything Cages and their various alternatives but it seems like everything is on back order except the full EXP+drybag package.

Topeak Versacages are similar and are in stock in a bunch of places.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that's really good condition! and yeah the Nomade would have been their entry level ten-speed, so weight was not a concern with those

someone here was selling a still-in-box top-of-the-line Le Champ and I was almost tempted to put down the $1200 they were asking

and including the old-school gear ratios :allears:

(and the coolest dork disc i've ever seen)

loving hell. Look at that frame pump

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This bike demands pictures taken in the sun

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

drat, just remember how chilly it was up there.

I actually took off my base layer at the top. It was 32f when I started in Hatch, and rapidly warmed up, ending at 70f when I came back down into Bryce. If I started at 7am instead of 530am it would have probably been almost 50f to start. I only got passed by maybe 15 cars the entire 45 miles from Hatch to Rainbow Point though at that time of day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good Dog posted:

Bryce Canyon is the best.

I wish I brought a bike when we had our trip last year. We ended up renting some bikes just to explore and it was the biggest piece of poo poo. At least the hiking is incredible. When I was there in June last year it rained the first day, was mid 80s the next day, and mid 40s the last day.

All the rentals seemed pretty lovely, and they’re almost exclusively ebikes nowadays. The MUP starting off 12 and going all the way into the Canyon is nice to avoid the car traffic, particularly in the 45mph zone that is impossible to pass. Besides the Bryce Canyon ride it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of real good road riding unless you’re over near Panguitch or Brian Head/Parowan, with that huge climb. Mostly 65mph highways with a rumble strip on the shoulder. A few roads looked promising but changed over to gravel somewhere along the line.

Hiked a bunch of the popular trails - Navajo Loop, Queens Garden, Peekaboo Loop, etc. and then did Riggs Spring which was so much quieter. Saw 5 people the entire time. Kodachrome State Park also had some good hiking but was a bit out of the way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

Building bikes in the kitchen! Trainer/parts bike underway.

thesinglelife.jpg

Gonna be rad. I love that stand, one of my best purchases to wrench on bikes.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

spf3million posted:

I was admiring it too, who makes it? Is it better than a traditional stand?

Feedback Sports, it’s their Sprint stand. I bought it because aero seatposts making clamping a pain, and that bikes tended to move around when doing high torque work like bottom brackets. It’s also super portable for taking with you to races and such.

The downside is that you have to remove the front wheel every time, and if you have different front axle standards you need to change out the insert. I’ve got QR, 12x100, 15x100, and 15x110 bikes so you have to keep track of the insert and swap it as needed. It screws into the stand so it’s easy, just takes a little longer than throwing a seatpost into the clamp.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Wifi Toilet posted:

I built a thing!

The first bike I've built up from a bare frame. Threw it on my trainer and rode it for about 5 minutes before disaster struck: I noticed the American flag on the top tube isn't centered.

I'm going to be starting at this dumb decal for hours of my life and it's going to bother me every time!!

Does that shifter housing bind up when turning? It looks like it’s awfully tight.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Good bichael. How tall are you?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dema posted:

That's super clean. The shop I bought my Crux from had a room full of classic bikes. Mapei Colnago (Master?) was the standout for me. I've always loved the shaped tubes on those bikes.

Anyway, got the Crux out on a 33 mile ride. Mostly dirt. It's brilliant.

Kinda wild that the the bike that's two down from top of the line has wireless electronic shifting and carbon rims. What a time to be alive.

Also, cellphone photos don't really do the frame color justice. It's a dark green, IRL.

loving sick. I’m somewhat looking at getting a better cross bike for next year and the Crux looks nice, plus it’d be coming from the shop I have a great relationship with. The big clearance is definitely nice.

My bike was jam packed yesterday with mud and leaves, I couldn’t even make it a full lap before the wheel was locking up. Part of the problem is the brake and chainstay bridges just acting as a collection point.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Do they usually have gears?

Is it true they're a lot more efficient than normal bikes and banned from racing for *reasons*?

They’re very aerodynamic. They suck at climbing.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mauser posted:

Ok, what saddles are you guys riding for 100km+ days because on my first experience bikepacking last summer after ~50 miles my butt was aching on a rather firm specialized saddle. soft squishy stuff doesn't work for me because I go numb immediately.

I have 7 Specialized Power saddles in 143mm because of how good they are for my rear end.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

I got a Brooks B17 for my commuter based on the sheer number of recommendations it gets but just couldn't get on with it, don't think it's suitable for the riding position and the rails are very short so it's hard to get enough setback.

Now have a Bontrager saddle that's a bit too solid on there. The C17 looks good though, might try it once I sell the B17.

I bought a C17 with the cutout and absolutely hated it. It’s on my beater bike that I use to ride to the store because I can only tolerate about 30 minutes of it.

I also don’t understand how it’s so heavy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve been building this Stumpy over the winter from a frame I found for $63. I didn’t really have any particular idea (or need) for it, mostly using parts bin components or buying cheap stuff when it pops on an eBay saved search. Sort of an organic growth. I guess right now it would be best used for light MTB trails or gravel. There’s zero mounting points on the frame so any sort of bikepacking will have to use bags, but the fork has no shortage of mounts for a front rack with low rider pannier or something.

The Sensah groupset has been fine so far on the stand but I’d want to beat on it hard locally before taking it out anywhere away from home. It essentially operates like a SRAM doubletap shifter except the entire brake lever moves, there’s no separate shift paddle. There is a lockout mechanism that is supposed to prevent the shifter from actuating when braking but if you yank on it you can bypass it. The RD is awfully close to the ground on 26” wheels so definitely a bike to have a spare hanger or two.

Frame: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Comp
Fork: Surly Troll, this has the right ATC to compensate for the Judy XC fork that originally came with the bike
Brifters: Sensah SRX Pro
Crank: Raceface 38t
RD/Cassette: Sensah SRX Pro, 11-50
F Brake: TRP Hy/Rd
R Brake: Avid Shorty Ultimate
Tires: Schwalbe Rapid Rob
Misc: FSA headset, RaceFace seatpost, some Bontrager saddle, Oval brand handlebar, Supacaz tape and cages

Hoping to cut the half mile of steerer this weekend and can dial in the fit a bit more. Hard to get into a good position with that steerer tube in the way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 27, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s a good bichael. That’s a Sensah SRX Pro groupset with State’s name slapped on it isn’t it?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah it’s been pretty solid on the stumpjumper I put it on. My only beef is the RD barrel adjuster doesn’t have any indents or anything to prevent it from rotating a bit due to vibrations and throwing off the indexing a bit. I’ll probably just run housing into the RD itself and put in an in-line barrel adjuster somewhere.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Put on the cheapo dynamo wheelset and some new rubber.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

One weird trick to make a new Madone frameset compulsory

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

boss said “no” :(

Is the boss your girlfriend?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Please get your eyes checked

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gulf is good but that bike is blue and red

Like it’s not even close to orange

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Green dark teal bike crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ddiddles posted:

Let it be known green is gold.

My cable cutters decided to just fall apart with me needing to make one last cut on some new compressionless brake housing, gotta just stare at it now until a new pair shows up tomorrow.

Diagonal cutters for brake housing