Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

All the bags. Taken this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

To be fair, that's blue :troll:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

My two bikes. The custom one copied the front end geometry of the Fuji so interesting to see what lines up (bottle, tip of saddle, stays) and what's different (seat tube, head tube). Also 700x35 vs 650x42.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

New wheels. First shot at building myself. DT XR331 rims on Novatec. Seem pretty stable on a quick test ride today.

Pretty sure that smoke is actually aerosolized California redwoods that has been up the coast to Canada and back south to Colorado via Montana.
:tif:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Suicide Watch posted:

How are those rims and what pressures are you running?? They seemed a bit shallow for road but should be plenty fine for dirt/gravel–been considering a set as well.

I had Stans crest rims before this which are similarly shallow, only swapped for the wheelbuilding experience. 40 psi seems good for a mix of road and fine gravel / dry dirt. The rims are very light (380g?) so will have to put a lot of miles on them to comment on reliability. Using very light spokes too.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

spf3million posted:

NBD

Needed a lightweight travel bike with an easy-to-remove fork so it'd fit in my case. 17.4 lbs as pictured. Steel, still real.

Super nice :discourse:

My 853 bike at similar state is 3 lbs heavier (disc brakes, gravel fork/wheels/tires - twice as many spokes haha). Edit: and fillet brazed so there's big gobs of brass in the joints.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 14, 2020

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Anza Borrego posted:

The Renegade I'm looking at is the Force 1 11sp 1x and was under the impression that a gravel-oriented 1x is manageable. Is that not really right?

It's completely fine.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

I am fairly confident I know what I want, basically it's a copy of a Crust Bikes Disc Romanceur but taller than their XL so it measures more in line with my main bike and with a couple of other little tweaks. I imagine the frame builder will be able to streamline this and tell me what's dumb and what's good.

Pretty much. I already knew the basics I wanted for mine - stack, reach, chainstays, angles - the rest was just small tweaks like bb drop, head tube and seat tube length.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

trufflefoo posted:

Found this bridge/viaduct thing. Apparently it’s from a film or something…

Bike you built from the steel tubes up :discourse:

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Noodling around after the rains

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Ultradynamico, natch. Rose front, cava rear, both in 48. If I hadn't been intent on running 650b this thing would already be on the gravel road.

:hf: my frame is packed away while I accumulate dirtbag cheap parts. Planning on 700x43 with a dynamo and front rack.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Yus! Good bike and good wall.

My build is stuck in supply-chain limbo.

Edit: actually I did one thing.. per forum tradition, I drilled it - to take a modern recessed brake caliper.

sweat poteto fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 12, 2021

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

Curious what you're doing for a brake setup. I used a super long reach cheap BMX side pull because it was purple, but I will probably swap it out because it's flexy as poo poo. Not sure how well something like a Dia compe boomerang works for converting to canti...

I've got a Paul Racer caliper for it. I looked into special ordering the non-recessed version but was told the Racer is discontinued and they aren't taking any more orders for it. It has disappeared off the paul website. Though.. it wouldn't surprise me if they bring it back next year when they're on top of their logistics again and are just telling people it's dead now to reduce their email load.

I briefly tried to wrench the hex bolt off it but it's a little M4 and began to round out so gave up on that and just drilled the fork.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

3 months after getting the frame and 2 months waiting for wheel parts to arrive.. shopping bike is done.

B+M lights and a wheelset with Pacenti Brevet rims on a Surly fixed rear hub and SP dynamo front hub.

Rear wiring is glued to the NDS downtube & chainstay with silicone sealant. Made a little bracket for the rear light out of walnut.
The tires are those cheapo American Classics, 700x40c Aggregate model.
Made a bag for the Wald 137 too, though I may swap it for something else.

Very fun for tooling around local paths and nice to just carry a proper chain lock in the basket without any hassle.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

That bag owns, and that wiring is loving disgusting.

Hah. The twisty one up the fork? I couldn't find exactly the wire I wanted - some thin non-black coax. Still keeping an eye out for something better than this.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Any particular vendor? I found some but they were min-qty 500ft.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Oh yeah lots of options in single conductor, thin round 2c is more difficult. I did think of heatshrinking two together for a while.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Development posted:

yesterday - first time a bike thread goon rides zinc fingaz for a full ride!

:shittydog:

Such a cool frame and rode super smooth on the big 650b slicks. That's a real forever bike.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

The Madone is a gravel bike.

Sweet fixie shopper is gravel bike

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

In case they don't see your post, https://www.instagram.com/paperroadsaotearoa/

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Crumps Brother posted:

That's lighter than my main bike. That's amazing.

Same, wtf.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

Bike got new shoes and they are plump.

:hf: 34c version squeezing in under 41mm Honjo fenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

Also kinda wish the bell didn't look so out of place; they're legally required in NYC so I just got whatever they had in the store when I picked it up and I kinda wish I'd just risked the extremely unlikely chance of getting a ticket on the ride home and then gotten something else online. I'm probably gonna go back to the shop in a few weeks to get the fit adjusted, so might have them remove the bell while I'm there.

Steerer bells are the best :colbert: I put one on each of my bikes.