Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I've decided to hold off on the new bike for a while until I can increase my budget a little bit. I have lots of information I didn't have before and that's definitely going to help. In the meantime I'm going to focus on improving fundamentals and I got my bike a much needed tune up. Also had the LBS install a drop post after having a similar discussion with the owner to the one I had here. It's not going to be ready for a bit but that will give my bruised tailbone a few days to feel better. I actually bent my saddle with my rear end after landing too hard the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

There's supposed to be a cap here, right? My crank fell off mid ride and I can't remember what it looked like. Photos online seem to show only drive-side pictures.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Im going with yes - looks like you are missing the preload nut. Probably wont be an issue right now - but it might work loose over time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

How did you reinstall it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This happened repeatedly on my old bike. You need that cap to get the crank far enough on before tightening the pinch bolts. I lost mine too initially and it kept falling off until it was replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How did you reinstall it?

It has two pinch bolts that secured it for the ride home. I ordered the cap.