Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. I think I've decided to hold off on the new bike for a while until I can increase my budget a little bit. I have lots of information I didn't have before and that's definitely going to help. In the meantime I'm going to focus on improving fundamentals and I got my bike a much needed tune up. Also had the LBS install a drop post after having a similar discussion with the owner to the one I had here. It's not going to be ready for a bit but that will give my bruised tailbone a few days to feel better. I actually bent my saddle with my rear end after landing too hard the other day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

There's supposed to be a cap here, right? My crank fell off mid ride and I can't remember what it looked like. Photos online seem to show only drive-side pictures.

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Im going with yes - looks like you are missing the preload nut. Probably wont be an issue right now - but it might work loose over time.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

me your dad posted:

Thanks. I cut the ride short. I didn't want to get any grit in there. The crank arm came off right when I was standing up to mash the pedals on a little climb and I nearly ate poo poo.

How did you reinstall it?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This happened repeatedly on my old bike. You need that cap to get the crank far enough on before tightening the pinch bolts. I lost mine too initially and it kept falling off until it was replaced.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

How did you reinstall it?

It has two pinch bolts that secured it for the ride home. I ordered the cap.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Make sure you have the bottom bracket tool to thread it in also. Fyi just in case. It's a weird star shape special thing, of course.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just test rode the new SC 5010 and if you're under 6' and riding the factory 800mm bars you either have gorilla proportions or you're a loving psycho.

Other notable things: not having a fork lockout is weird and I dunno if I'll get used to it for fire-roads etc, shimano 12spd is ok but the downshift action is way too heavy, long droppers are NICE.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Found a slightly exposed trail today, pretty freaky but I got down it!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aphex- posted:

Found a slightly exposed trail today, pretty freaky but I got down it!

Looks great!

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Those who've ridden Moab, I have a few questions.

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Sadi posted:

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

1. The only mandatory drops that I can recall are on the fast doubletrack before the last section of singletrack. You should see them coming. Theyíre maybe three feet. You canít see some the landings, but the ones on the main trail are all good. Other than that, itís mostly rocky jank. There are mandatory tech sections (the Snotch) that are intimidating, but youíll see them coming.

2. If conditions are good up to Burro Pass, bring a jacket. It starts with a climb, but it can be very cold up there. Hazzard County is the next stop down and can be chilly, but it also starts with a climb. Bring a lot of water.

3. The Enduro isnít too much bike for that trail. Youíll be happy to have the wheelbase and travel when youíre going fast down the jeep road portions. The Offering or Ripmo would also be great.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 19, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

He is I, and I am him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3e19CzlIcY

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sadi posted:

It's unrelentingly chunky all the way down, so definitely get a big bike. Also it's so much downhill that you're not going to get punished on climbs.

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

evil_bunnY posted:

Just test rode the new SC 5010 and if you're under 6' and riding the factory 800mm bars you either have gorilla proportions or you're a loving psycho.

Other notable things: not having a fork lockout is weird and I dunno if I'll get used to it for fire-roads etc, shimano 12spd is ok but the downshift action is way too heavy, long droppers are NICE.

Which fork did you get on your build? Pike or a 34?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

Which fork did you get on your build? Pike or a 34?
XT build with the Pike. I, uh, need to get used to it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

IF I'M TALKING ABOUT ART, I'M PROBABLY WRONG, SO PLEASE REPORT ME SO I CAN BE PROBATED. AGAIN.

Eejit posted:

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

Yeah this. 108 degrees last time I was there in June with blistering sun. Bring twice the water and twice the sunscreen (and apply it twice as often).

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That was some sweet ripping and just fun as hell.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

At the advice of Bud Manstrong I just put in an order for chains, brake pads, tires, and a cassette. Hopefully I will have it all when I might need it later this year....

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Iíve got a chain and and some extra pads, but have been waiting on tires. Local shops here in Boulder still have all of the popular Maxxis options in stock. I canít stomach an extra X01 cassette, though.

Bike industry, please recover back to your normal state. Thanks, VS.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

People trying to buy video cards think they have it bad.

mashed_penguin
Jul 27, 2004

Be me. Try to do some line inside the only rock in the middle of the trail. Scratch my brand new bars. At least they match the rest of the bike now...

https://i.imgur.com/3dR9bj5.mp4

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

mashed_penguin posted:

Be me. Try to do some line inside the only rock in the middle of the trail. Scratch my brand new bars. At least they match the rest of the bike now...

https://i.imgur.com/3dR9bj5.mp4

Where is this? Looks great

mashed_penguin
Jul 27, 2004

Burke mountain BC. Trail is called Six. It is a lot of fun and after a wet early spring is almost getting too dry now. Part of why I tried to go inside is the outside of the corner looked really loose.

https://www.trailforks.com/trails/six-63248/

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

My 5 year old is better in the air than I am.
https://imgur.com/EpxbnDP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mashed_penguin
Jul 27, 2004

n8r posted:

My 5 year old is better in the air than I am.

He'll be in rampage before you know it.