Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

h3r0n posted:

I wouldn't even begin to know how to get this much in one day in Ohio. Nice work.

Does anyone have any wheelset recommendations for a 'bigger' dude. I'm ~235 in riding gear and blew out another rear hub. This was the one that came with my Pivot - SUN Ringle DUROC 29 30mm - so nothing special at all. I might just get a new rear and deal with the front when that time comes.

Hubs shouldn't fail because the rider is heavier - I've never heard of it happening. Was it new? You might want to ask about warranty. If it's not new, are you overtightening the rear axle (this shouldn't really make a difference still) or maybe blasting water into the hub with a pressure washer after your rides? I'm probably only about 15lbs lighter than you in full riding gear and I've not had any issues with hubs failing in that manner. I try to regrease my hubs after each season but this is DH riding and they take a lot more abuse.

In the rare event you're running a 12x150 rear wheel I have a new DT Swiss DT350 I'm looking to sell :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Hubs shouldn't fail because the rider is heavier - I've never heard of it happening. Was it new? You might want to ask about warranty. If it's not new, are you overtightening the rear axle (this shouldn't really make a difference still) or maybe blasting water into the hub with a pressure washer after your rides? I'm probably only about 15lbs lighter than you in full riding gear and I've not had any issues with hubs failing in that manner. I try to regrease my hubs after each season but this is DH riding and they take a lot more abuse.

In the rare event you're running a 12x150 rear wheel I have a new DT Swiss DT350 I'm looking to sell :v

Its a few years old so I doubt there is a warranty available. No water, no overtightening, not too much abuse either its not TOO rough around me, end of season maintenance at the LBS each year too. I'll have it in on Tuesday to see whats up.

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
Try to get something with a higher spoke count, should help you with durability.

Also, hello I'm posting in this thread.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Omgz posted:

Also, hello I'm posting in this thread.

:shittypop:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Northwest Ohio where you can ride 13 miles and get.....167' of elevation gain! A fun little trail system though right by my mom's house.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
there are trails in northwest ohio?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OhsH posted:

I know!

There is one kind of in Toledo (I have never been on it though) and this one out by Oak Openings. It was pretty fun. Some cool wood features but generally it is flat and windy. The FS bikes were super needed (ha).

https://www.strava.com/activities/3992291838

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7028873/beach-ridge-bike-trail

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just packed my bike for TNGA. Leaving Wed and start riding Thursday.

https://bikepacking.com/routes/trans-north-georgia-tnga/

:black101:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

OhsH posted:

That's 167' of heart pounding elevation gain!

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Bottom Liner posted:

Sounds awesome. Can't wait to see your pictures.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

We're bidding on something in a few days on the pinhoti for pisgah for winter work, I do like working in NC even of theres a million builders right around there

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah NC is great. Depending on now next year's Tour Divide looks I might link up the entire southern tier route which runs down the Appalachians from VA down to Alabama south of Birm.

anyways here's my loaded bike. Going with a seat pack instead of handlebar bag this time for my sleep kit.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Don't remember if you've answered this before, but do you have a extra set of hoods on your shifters for comfort?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nope mine are just worn out and stretched upward for some reason.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

h3r0n posted:

That's 167' of heart pounding elevation gain!

They did have some cool wood features. (one of them was probably 10' of the elevation!)

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

A buddy of mine and I had been planning on doing a big yearly mountain bike event nearby this year:

https://tamba.org/upcoming-events/rose-to-toads/

It's pretty much entirely on the Tahoe Rim Trail, which is singletrack varying from smooth and fast to rather rocky mostly made for hikers with mountain biking as an afterthought. Except for the last bit, which is a ~3k ft descent from 9kish down to lake level, starting with an old school trail called Mr Toad's Wild Ride.

The event has of course been cancelled, but we still want to ride the route by ourselves in the next few weeks anyway.

Neither of us had ever ridden it (and I'd never ridden any part of the route), and the trail is supposed to be pretty technical. It seemed prudent to ride it at least once before hand so we knew what was coming rather than finding out after 50 miles of hard riding, so we checked it out yesterday along with the last 10 miles of the rim trail on the route.

The smoke cooperated enough that it didn't bother us aside from limiting visibility, which is a bummer because the views would have been amazing for sure.

We're pretty used to the popular riding around Truckee, which is often fast fire road climbing followed by fast descents with a lot of jumps. Our time estimation was pretty far off here, turns out technical single track climbing is a lot slower!

This was one of the numerous parts of the climb that I was not nearly skilled enough to ride up

Trees started to thin out quite a bit, with pretty ubiquitous pulverized granite / kitty litter trail surface above 8k feet or so. This was a stretch of trail off the backside southwest of Heavenly

Bichael that I've had around 5 years now and getting rid of soon. I'd been riding DHR up front with Ardent rear (how the bike came from SC), but moved the DHR to the rear and put a new DHF up front for this ride; was very happy with it.

Probably the longest smooth section, shortly after we got up to the rim trail.

There's a very large lake back there I promise

A lot of the rim trail was like this, with maybe some more rocks. Not technical, but enough exposure that trying to look at the view was a dangerous temptation

About half the rim trail section was like this; nothing crazy but rocky enough to require some attention

But there were also some fun bits like this mixed in!

Made it to the main event, a good 2 hours or so behind schedule.

I was too busy having a blast to take many pictures on this section, but it was waaayy steeper, rockier, and more technical than I was expecting, but in a really fun and challenging way. I can't claim to have cleared or even attempted everything, but gave the vast majority a shot and cleared most of what I tried. The first mile and a half or so was a near continuous rock garden.

I'm used to tougher bits of trails having ride-arounds; this didn't, which was good honestly because I attempted way more than I otherwise would have.

This was one of the sections I didn't clear, might have been one my buddy had a minor crash on towards the start.

A while later, once the rock gardens settled down, there was a surprise section that we just laughed the entire way down:

What the photo doesn't convey well there:
- it's about three times longer than what you see, with a turn in the middle
- it's extremely steep; looking at data/maps afterwards it drops about 70 feet at 35% grade or so (hence the steps and rocks they put in, which is pretty atypical for this trail that's otherwise not built up much)

I'm far from an expert downhill rider, and have been mostly doing fast and flowy descents with jumps lately. For me, this was the most consistently technical trail I've ever done, and I had an absolute blast and can't stop thinking about it. Super excited to do it again, even if I might be exhausted next time.

A video (not mine) of the descent:
https://youtu.be/SLOz4i2GYhw?t=290

And my ride: https://strava.app.link/WcW2yVYHp9

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spwrozek posted:

Northwest Ohio where you can ride 13 miles and get.....167' of elevation gain! A fun little trail system though right by my mom's house.

Welcome to the flatlands. We still call it mountain biking but it feels like a joke saying it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Absolutely tore my shin up yesterday on a crash, big bloody gash and a trip to the hospital to get it steristripped up so I've just ordered a pair of Endura socks with shin padding. Hopefully they'll help a bit!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Welcome to the flatlands. We still call it mountain biking but it feels like a joke saying it.

I really enjoyed pumping out 20+ miles in like an hour and a half near Charleston, SC. I just wish I hadn't been bandit riding on a naval base by accident :v:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Hey guys, really appreciated the Pisgah tips but our plans for that fell through, definitely want to get out there some time though. We're now going to the Pocono's instead, staying near Big Pocono Park. Any tips for stuff to do out there? We're bringing a Journeyman and Stuntman for riding, so wouldn't be doing any gnarly trails. Perfectly willing to take them on paved roads if there's any good road riding though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
So... What's with meter wide handlebars? Last time I had a mountain bike, last two times.. bar width was inversely proportional to how ... good? the bike was. Now when I check out things on like GMBN they're talking 750-800mm wide bars.

How, and when did this shift happen? Why did it happen? I feel like it may relate to the idea of a bike park, where getting between trees isn't like.. a question anymore. Also, bar ends? those seem to have vanished.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

So... What's with meter wide handlebars? Last time I had a mountain bike, last two times.. bar width was inversely proportional to how ... good? the bike was. Now when I check out things on like GMBN they're talking 750-800mm wide bars.

How, and when did this shift happen? Why did it happen? I feel like it may relate to the idea of a bike park, where getting between trees isn't like.. a question anymore. Also, bar ends? those seem to have vanished.
What year is this?

Not but seriously short stem, wide bars, slack HT and steep seat tubes are the way of the world now.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

Nerobro posted:

Don't know when it happened, but wider bars (withing reason based on your body) add way more stability to the front end, way better body position for weighting the front, less twitchy, etc. Huge improvement over micro bars.

Never found a tree that I can't fit between with my new bike that I could with my old and they're common on enduro, xc, dh, etc bikes not just park only bikes.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

There are trails near me where I have to quickly lean the bike one way or the other to avoid hitting my bars.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

There are trails near me where I have to quickly lean the bike one way or the other to avoid hitting my bars.

You'll find this doesn't change with modern bar widths, I had similar concerns but I'm on 800mm bars now (from 760) and honestly it feels way better. I'm 6'2" so maybe 760 was just too small I dunno.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

evil_bunnY posted:

What year is this?

Not but seriously short stem, wide bars, slack HT and steep seat tubes are the way of the world now.

say... 93-98? Then I got out of bikes until 2006, where I went straight to road bikes.

Yes, you're saying how it is. I can see how it is. Why is it how it is? For instance, the tale of the move from 26 to 29 and eventually 27.5 has steps we can trace. Also, the progression of bike suspension.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Don't know when it happened, but wider bars (withing reason based on your body) add way more stability to the front end, way better body position for weighting the front, less twitchy, etc. Huge improvement over micro bars.

Never found a tree that I can't fit between with my new bike that I could with my old and they're common on enduro, xc, dh, etc bikes not just park only bikes.

Well, it's happened somewhere after 1998 and well, i'm checking the 2006 fuji and Trek/GaryFisher lines, and i'm seeing both short stems and long stems. I believe the short/no stem thing came from downhill bikes. The "normal" and say. .XC bikes all have significant stems. Unlike the 35-50mm you'll see these days. So that means it happened in the last 14 years.

So now i'm scrolling through bike years to see when this happened. Hah.

... I really never had stability issues with narrow bars. Worth noting, at some of the older bike parks, there are places where wide bar bikes need to wiggle through gaps and such.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
You’re asking why things are the way things are? More riders ride faster on harder terrain now than they did in 1998. Bikes are longer and slacker now. Reach measurements have increased as part of making modern bikes more stable at speed. The short stem helps center rider weight on these longer and slacker bikes. If you pair a short stem with 650mm bars, you’re going to get extremely twitchy and unpleasant steering. Wide bars help mitigate that aspect of a short stem, and they fit into a system in which the rider steers at speed more with their hips and body and less with their bars. Plus they feel and look cool.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

also the majority of new trailbuilding is done with machines that are wider than any bars you're going to run, so its only the old rake-n-ride trails where you'll have any issues

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Nocheez posted:

I really enjoyed pumping out 20+ miles in like an hour and a half near Charleston, SC. I just wish I hadn't been bandit riding on a naval base by accident :v:

You’re making me feel like a doughy piece of poo poo because I almost died (not really) of heatstroke on this very trail in my admitted cycling infancy.

In my defense my truck thermo read 99 in the shade of the parking lot.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
On the topic of heat, I got all of my 7iDP armor in and though it's all really great and I feel safe and happy... I can imagine being very unhappy if the temperatures were high.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vote_no posted:

On the topic of heat, I got all of my 7iDP armor in and though it's all really great and I feel safe and happy... I can imagine being very unhappy if the temperatures were high.

Which model? I just got a pair of the Sam Hills. I'm only a single 20mi ride in with them and I haven't crash tested them yet (#blessed), but I'm happy with them. The weather was pretty cool for us, so I was sorta happy to have the extra layer, but I found them to be really comfortable.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Unless I am riding park or shuttling I only wear knee pads these days. I can't imagine wearing full armour for everyday rides or are you just talking knees or legs and elbow/arms?

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I got the Sam Hill knee pads, the Transition elbows, and the Flex Suit (the Flex Short is on backorder). So it’s all the relatively light side of things.

I got the Fox Proframe as suggested, too.

It’s all quite comfortable and relatively breathable, although the spine protector in the Flex Suit gets very sweaty and is the most noticeable nuisance to me.

It’s really not too bad, especially when the temperatures start to dip into the 50s!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

You’re making me feel like a doughy piece of poo poo because I almost died (not really) of heatstroke on this very trail in my admitted cycling infancy.

In my defense my truck thermo read 99 in the shade of the parking lot.

The weather was warm but not stifling. I ride much more elevation around Charlotte so this felt like riding at full throttle almost the entire time.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
So I'm looking at a job in DFW area, 4 miles or so for North Richland Hills and one of the line items is hobo control. Dystopia merica-style

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

thatguy posted:

So I'm looking at a job in DFW area, 4 miles or so for North Richland Hills and one of the line items is hobo control. Dystopia merica-style

You don't want to go to DFW.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

spwrozek posted:

You don't want to go to DFW.

Yes but what if I want

to get into some and/or nefarious activity

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

thatguy posted:

My town built a mile long MUP expressly for the purpose of cleaning out homeless camps and enabling the town cops to easily patrol along the river.

They also are currently doing this:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

So, it ended up that my hub body was cracked and a new one is on the way (DT Swiss 350) and should be ready to ride early next week. I'm glad I have a backup bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

thatguy posted:

Yes but what if I want

to get into some and/or nefarious activity

Man, if people are living there, you really don't want any part of this. And what kind of terrible city/county/park/whatever puts the burden of evicting homeless people on their trails contractor?