Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Copper Harbor is the best, maybe someday I'll send Manpants...

Meantime I'm funemployed and riding more, looking forward to this monstrosity:
https://www.thedragon.us/the-dragon-trail/
Should be a great weekend ride mixed in with camping at Newaygo when it's done

E; gah I miss that little coffeeshop on the lakeshore with the scones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

thatguy posted:

who's building the trails for dragon tail? It doesn't list a contractor just a chapter and two county parks public works orgs. I'm a little surprised they're going so slow on a 47 mile project, at the rate they're projected they'll get finished in like 8 years and people don't like to wait 10% of their lifespans for poo poo like this. There's an 88 mile project in Ohio, different terrain and mostly green trails where they're going to be finished in 2 or 3 years of construction. I mean they had a list of 10 contractors I think, but I'd have expected something similar.

I'm not sure of the name, but the person who twigged me to it said it's the same folks that did DTE, so I expect some similar good machine-built flow sections that can go either direction.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
My only annoyance about it has been coming about more lately, people who get mad when newbies don't get out of their way fast enough, on the DH/technical portions of our relatively flat local trail systems. Was sweeping for a newbie friend out last week and some folks let themselves get all the way up my rear end yelling "let us pass!" and I get more and more annoyed to the point of slowing down deliberately and calling back "loving WHERE?"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I am planning the biggest stupidest road trip for as soon as I have my vaccine...does anyone think 16 IMBA epics is too much for one summer?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Soon you too will have sweet pinhole scars in your shins

E; flats for lyfe, suck it clippies

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
anyone have good recs for bike-worthy knee braces/compression sleeves, and arch support sole inserts for 5-10's? Been having trouble with pain under the kneecap this winter and don't want it to get worse, assuming it's on account of being flatfooted and lifting again only as a 32 year old instead of a 22 year old this time

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Suburban Dad posted:

Might look into saddle placement fore/aft and height first if you haven't. But you probably already know this.

If this isn't in the OP, maybe it should be.

I'll keep it in mind when I put my bike back together (FOX WHYYYYYY), thanks. Thinking more preventative right now though, got some lifting shoes specifically for flat feet, riding the stationary doesn't seem to bother me so much as maintaining a bent knee does, so somewhat concerned about longer downhill runs.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Ropes4u posted:

One more question for the weekend trip planning. Has anyone been to Bentonville Arkansas?

My wife, she is from the south, keeps bringing it up as a trip to link together with a visit to her parents.

Have done a two days there, was worth the stop. Some great trails in town and within a short drive, camping nearby, Walmart museum is pretty neat/horrifying depending on your perspective. If it's a longer stop there's some downhill action at lake leatherwood nearby.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Rangers for good weather, a pair of extra grippy Mechanix gloves for bad/downhill

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Multiple iirc. I was so close to being one this year, was going to try for the temp trailworker job in copper harbor but my layoff ended :/

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Woof, day four after the second dose of vaccine and I thought I was fully recovered, hit the first big hill in my rode today and it was like my soul left my body, felt like I was going to fall asleep in the saddle

Lighter note, been granted full work from wherever over wfh, planning a grand tour out west (USA only obv, no Whistler :( ). Fully expecting the worst fire season ever until next year, how do y'all out there manage it on ride days with smoke, what are the good resources for air quality forecast?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Riding in smoke will be bad for me, but as bad as not getting to go ride all this stuff before it all burns down?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Provincial, this is West Canadia then? So I should not try to make it to Whistler this year? :(

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm such a dummy. I bought my bike in 2019 and have rode the poo poo out of it and have never really tried "trail" mode on the rear shock. Always left it in "open" after setting it up initially and thinking it was too firm for my supple taint. Thing is, I ride in SE MI so the trails here aren't crazy. Mostly XC but there's some fun and flowy bits out there. I took it out today after cleaning up everything in the drivetrain and hub then flipped the switch and goddamn I felt like I had lost 20 lbs and had infinite stamina.

PR'd an easy ~1hr loop trail by 1:30 and I'm not even in super good shape at this point this season. :feelsgood:

Lol that's the second thing I did when I got my Fuel after setting the dropper height, you've been squish humping it down here since the Big Boy clinic? I hope you got use out of it elsewhere, been a bummer year for parks closing nearby but I'm looking forward to Marquette being a destination

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Did 25 miles, 2500 feet of climb at the highest elevation I've ridden so far. Had to hide for an hour from a thunderstorm and still ended up getting rained on the last 8 miles down

I'm dead, thank you Colorado

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
It's a pity that all the Google glass/HUD type stuff died, I'd fork over decent money for a pair of tifosi's with maps/weather alerts/incoming calls and texts

Also, anyone around the Denver/Colorado area want to ride with me next month? I'm back to Detroit for the first two weeks of July but once I'm back I'm desperate to hit up Trestle

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 28, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

evil_bunnY posted:

Mosdef get padded socks if you're going to jump around on flats. It's just a matter of time until your burgerize yourself again.

Suffering builds character

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Living I'd Detroit I definitely service/replace the suspension on my car more than on my bike

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

VelociBacon posted:

Any Americans in this thread plan on heading up to BC/Whistler in the next month? There's some dumb sim racing seat I want that's on amazon.com but not available on amazon.ca, and if I could prime it to someone and they can meet up around Vancouver so I could grab it from them I'd be grateful to the extent of 50 CAD bucks or whatnot.

e: I'm not a psycho goon, have met bud manstrong and pinarello and others

Is the border open and I missed the announcement? I'm at Park City in Utah (haven't hit the pro line but everything else is great), was going to go up to Seattle at some point in the next week or so but Whistler was a high priority to-do this trip, could maybe pull something off.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Went into the shop in Big Sky to borrow their chainbreaker and the guy working the counter's eyes about popped out of his head.

"WHOOOAAAAA, where did you find an Eagle chain?"

:smug: "I bought 3 last year when it was clear poo poo would be hitting the fan"

Scooted myself over to the lift ticket window and find out the lift stops at loving 5. :smith:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Beans

Bullets

Bandages

Bike Parts

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Shouldn't have jinxed myself. Pretty sure my rear brake is leaking, lost all resistance over the course of the day so far, still brakes but I'm lever to bar for it. Hope I can fix it/find a replacement!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Attention mtb thread: Skibiking is good. Wheels are unnecessary. Your next NBD is postponed until fall.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Slap a .01 axial and .01 radial concentricity all over everything, done

E; and surface your datum, jeebus

E2; datum that bore too

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 1, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I really need to quit working and go out to bike more :(

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Sup oldgoons. Turning 40 in a month and I think I broke a rib last weekend. Keep riding!

34 here, went up to Copper Harbor last week, OTB'd on red trail at the same spot I did four years ago and...

sprained my wrists
Cracked a finger
Twisted my knee

I'll be back in a year or two to try again, always try again

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Change my name to Money Hater because I like bikes

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

marsisol posted:

Any recommendations on lightweight, short sleeve mountain bike jerseys? Now I wear some of my road stuff (too constrictive) or random "athletic wear". I'm looking for something not too baggy.

Not being plastered in goofy logos is a big plus.

Only buy jerseys and socks on vacation (or from the bearpope thread). They're overpriced relative to other non-sport clothes, might as well make sure yours look cool and say that you're a cool person who bikes places

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885509&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
0. Loud colors

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Drove out from the lowland Midwest to Denver and my rear brake drained itself as soon as I pulled the trigger on a ride today. I refuse to believe the elevation change to a mere mile can gently caress up the pressure balance so I'm going to just assume poo poo seals (Shimano) and go buy new. Still though! Wtf!

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Oh, don't mind me, over here, green with envy that you get to pick up biking in a place where you can just pedal over to Valmont Bike Park and have a day of it whenever you want

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Welp. Bought some XT 8120's because

Anyone up for trestle this weekend?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Get some spray adhesive and give your tires a quick coat for extra grip

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I'll try that next time, any brand you recommend?

3M Hi-strength 90, the stuff for heavy drywall

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

lol don't do this

Definitely do it and definitely post pictures of what your tires look like once you start riding :xd:

VelociBacon posted:

They do this when dyno tuning cars and I'm not kidding. I've only seen it needed with a 1k HP Supra.

Where do you think I got the idea? Worked at an exhaust company that had a dyno and asked one of the old techs why there was spray adhesive in the explicitly labeled "box o' dyno poo poo." These excellent Colorado beers did the rest.

E; in all seriousness, get off your bike. Next time you find a berm that gives you trouble, or if you know one you can go directly to, stop and session it until you're satisfied with the amount of zen you're achieving through it. Preferably with a friend who can give you tips on your body and bike position. Shout-out to Spime Wrangler and the Copper Harbor Big Boy Clinic for making shredding berms the bike skill I'm best at, my friends all _hate_ being in front of me on wavy S-sections now.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 31, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I lock my suspension out and ride tree farm etc, also on a fuel ex 8 , the same 140/140 that I take to lift-assist. Goes fine, if a bit huff n puff getting uphill. The question of "is this bike too much" is actually finance based, as after a certain point you should just get two, one for trail and one for park

e; Oh choice! Looks like you need to go get some green grips and some local brewery stickers, join up with Metro Detroit Mountain Bikers on Meetup/FB and you'll have fistfuls in no time

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 6, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Get a bosch drive and slap a rohloff on, tear that poo poo (your wallet) up

https://www.cyclemonkey.com/blog/tech-talk-retrofit-your-e-bike-rohloff-e-14-electronic-shifting

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

who knows if they're real and/or any cheaper than a Rohloff.

Don't ask how I know but yes and no in order.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Honestly the custom ebike mtb application is a quasi-dirtbike anyway, stay off any non-hardpack trails please. Over 750W and having an open throttle means you might not actually be legal off private property without a license and the most recommended bafang hub is 1000W, it's real wild-west stuff, most appropriate for the desert west.

Car Hater fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2022

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
New Bike Day!!!

(I'm on a mountain, it's a bike, it counts dangit)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Bud Manstrong posted:

How was WP on that? I bet those blue and blue-black runs skiers left of Olympia would be fun, but traversing over there would probably be rough.

It's great other than the lifts being a bit awkward. I hit pretty much all the blues yesterday, might try some blacks tomorrow if I get there early enough.