Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

paberu posted:

I recently moved to SoCal and all the trails around me got me wanting to try out mountain biking.

I've been trying to figure out what I should get but I'm still pretty confused on what I should be looking for. I want to ride trails around Orange County, but probably sticking to more smoother flowing trails and less on the jumps/rock stuff. From what I've been able to gather is I should look for a hard tail/all mountain/trail bike? Should I be looking at 27.5" sized bikes if I'm 5'6?

My budget is around $1500 - $2000 max. Is there anything particular I should look at? Something like the Kona Honzo?

Yeah, I snap bought a 2020 Kona Big Honzo DL off of ebay with a goon's help and I've loved it on the trails around here in Socal. I haven't tried any trail system in the OC but it feels like an extremely capable bike in the foothills and at Bonelli.

I'm 5'7" and I ride a medium instead of a small since the consensus seems to be size up for stability, size down for speed and I'm just not good enough to handle smaller bikes with less travel rn. It might feel pretty big for you though. And my current wheel/tire setup is 29", 2.5 in front, 2.4 in back, and the bike just rolls over everything in sight IME. I'm probably gonna go as wide as possible when I wear out these tires.

Fakeedit: Maybe Canyon still has the Neuron AL in their online store? It was the other bike I was thinking about. It's pretty nice.

rngd in the womb fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

yoohoo posted:

Biking > not biking

Fixed that for you.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Blacknose posted:

Maybe with good technique you could make better posts.

:iceburn:

neato burrito posted:

Got a dropper post installed on my Talon 3, it is cool and good and I see why it is such a popular component.

Just finally budgeted enough to order a dropper post for my hardtail. Can't wait to get it in!

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Dude's a fuckin ableist shithead, and is going to alienate more people with his attitude than ibm's post ever will and this is how yall react. Really?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

jesus WEP posted:

maybe stop pretending like ableism and dragging offsite poo poo into the forums are two sides of one issue rather than independently bad things

This is a weird position to have, IMO. Be cool and don't alienate anyone everywhere you go?

If you're acting prejudiced and saying prejudiced things publicly, of course your poo poo will follow you. Take the time to look internally and figure out how to be less of a shithead. Recognize your mistakes, apologize, move on from it and start putting in the effort to be less of a prejudiced person everywhere. It's not hard to understand.

spwrozek posted:

I lubed my bike up yesterday. It felt like the bearing in the bottom bracket might be messed up. Just felt weird rolling it around. I assume if things are not feeling right next step is to replace?

In what way does it feel weird? Is there some kind of resistance while pedaling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
Silca tire pressure calculator