Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

im a sweaty bear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Dumbdog posted:

Get the grippiest winter tyres you can. Something like a magic mary ultra soft. Summer tyres are terrible in winter.

in wales its winter tyres all year round

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

yeah, when i said winter tyres i just meant ones which survive in mud and over wet roots vs something which rolls a bit better.

If i'm honest due to various lockdowns and the roni i've not used my trail bike this year much anyway :( it's sitting in my old bedroom at my mums house. After this current lockdown ends i might just say gently caress it and go ride some trails in wales before the end of the year.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

First ride i've done in ages and my dropper post fails after an hour :argh:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I liked jones bars, well the knock offs i can afford, for bike touring enough that I also stuck them on my hybrid bike for work. You need super long grips and bar tape to get as many hand positions as possible though. I also found they took a lot of adjusting and setting up before I could get them really comfortable. One rule of thumb is that they're supposed to be angled down and about the same height as your seat.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Jones bars are great for touring and cruising and kinda terrifying for single track riding. Might as well have a steering wheel up there at that point lol

I think they're fine for like 99% of natural single track I'd find here in the UK. I wouldn't want to try using them at a bike park though.

I do find the straightish bars on my trail bike a bit uncomfortable and was considering getting something like the stooge moto bar which has like a 17 degree sweep. Probably not worth it :effort:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I've been considering a hippack for my stupid full sus with a dumb frame no water bottle can fit in.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

feelix posted:

What's the deal with 27.5+ tires? From what I gather it's a failed experiment that happened a few years ago. What didn't people like about them?

They're nice on a rigid bike if you have luggage.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I found the endura boxers to be the most comfortable thing. I've tried bibs but never been a fan of the shoulder straps.

Also, anyone found that slathering your taint with vaseline works as well or better than any cycling specific product? It's not anti-bacterial and supposedly hard to wash out of clothes but i dont get saddle sores if i use it :shrug:

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 11, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

Are you wearing a baselayer under the straps? i find the shoulder straps perfectly comfortable but only as long as i have something between them and my skin

Yeah I've done that and it makes it better but still not great. I'll give in during winter and put one on in the very worst weather though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

If it helps I've crashed loads in my normal glasses and they've never even came off. I got some goggles I wear over them at bikeparks just in case but I don't think you need to worry if you're just riding your mtb.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i fell off my bicycle and inserted the pedal into my fleshy bit under the knee. i should emphasis it was the pedal itself and not the pin.

swollen up with stiches

less swollen and the stiches removed. shows how deep it was.

i was riding again in like 2 months but that sucked.

e: how did i forget. 2-3 years before that i hit a drain cover which was under water and went over my handlebars and somehow landed on my knees and ripped open the exact same place

https://i.imgur.com/WIBlMMl.jpg

atleast i only have 1 scar from the 2 accidents.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 17, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I started doing a bunch of stretches which seemed to help with the bit of knee pain I was getting on longer rides. Just the normal boring static stuff every evening but also one legged half Squats.

They're probably worth trying. Forget all the stuff about going to parallel and don't use weights. Just stand on one leg and squat down a bit until you feel it in your knee. I do like 2x10 each side.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 18, 2021

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

this poo poo annoys me to no end. local name in our scene has been running these big group events for 6 months now. some of these people already gave each other covid and got real sick. loving idiots.

I loving hate this! I've had goddamn pelotons of wankers pass me on the road and I just want to scream gently caress off at them.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

rngd in the womb posted:

Dude's a fuckin ableist shithead, and is going to alienate more people with his attitude than ibm's post ever will and this is how yall react. Really?

There's very fine people on both sides

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ebikes being so great now should be super exciting for us all because we'll be able to trail ride forever

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

After spending 1-2 years with a broken reverb dropper which would randomly stop working/get stuck i can say just get a new dropper post. I can't believe i spent so long fighting a piece of crap instead of just buying a new one.

I got a PNW loam and it works great so far and the lever comes in pretty colours.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

me your dad posted:

Here's a joke: I'm trying to get a new bike in the year 2021.

How much patience should I give a bike builder for being non-communicative? I am trying to get a Vassago Verhauen built up. I initially had a great experience getting things started with the owner, Tom. He was super quick to reply and was easy to deal with. Then things started going south.

On April 23, he said:

On April 26, he said:

I replied, thanking him and letting him know the tires I would prefer to have.

On April 27, he said:

And then that was it. On May 3rd, I emailed him to let him know my preferred gear combination and he didn't reply. Then, on May 24th I wrote back, asking if he had any updates and I haven't heard back. I haven't written again since I know he's probably busy and I want to maintain a good relationship with the guy, but I'd like to know what's going on. We're on week 7 after he said it should take 3-4 weeks for the frame to be built.

At what point do I say gently caress it and try to get another bike?

If no one is responding to you then you can assume they aren't working on your bike. Don't feel like you owe them something.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Try around 20 on the front and 25 on the back and then adjust from there.

i got a wtb vigilante on the front (it's basically a DHF) and a high roller 2 on the back. I think i murdered two rear tyres in the span of a week in wales so just went with the one with the toughest sidewalls which were available.

it was all on one route. loving cursed as poo poo

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PNW loam is really nice and it comes with a pretty little rubber ring you can match to the colour of your bike

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

quote:

For starters, there was the whole URT thing. The problem with a bike that “locks” its suspension when you ride out of the saddle is that you ride out of the saddle whenever you are going downhill. In other words, when you wanted the rear suspension to act like a rear suspension, it was off taking a lunch break somewhere while you were getting your teeth rattled out of your head. It was a poo poo idea.

:eyepop: such a bad idea

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

PolishPandaBear posted:

This is something I need to work on. Last time (read first time) I tried a pump track it felt so alien. I couldn't make my body and the bike do what I wanted them to do.

Same but all the time

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Right I see, I haven't encountered that term before outside of cars/motos. It looks like semi slick can mean anything from the above, to a purely street tyre with sipes cut in the rubber. A lot of tyres seem to be marketed for racing, which I'm definitely not, but at the same time I like difficult (for me) terrain and my current tyres are hopeless in that regard. I'm on a hard tail MTB, typically I want to ride about 20km on pavement to the forest and ride around in there, without destroying my tyres on the journey to and fro.

What about this? Would I expect to see mileage in the tens, hundreds, thousands...?

I found wtb rangers alright when bike touring when running them tubeless. Might want to go for something grippy upfront like a rekon though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Big Taint posted:

My money on it’s the same people letting their dogs run off leash everywhere and not picking up the poo poo.

That could be 90% of dog walkers

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Oct 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

You should check these out if you're looking for a good value option.

What the gently caress!!!