Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Aphex- posted:

Had a great challenging ride yesterday, tackled a LOT of very steep stuff as well as a few big chutes like this one:

Obviously pictures don't do it justice, but you can see my riding buddy for scale at the top. Looking down on it before dropping in is quite freaky but it's super fun when you do it. Next up will be plucking up the courage to do the drop in with the overhang on the right.

just send it, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
i was thinking about riding with the local club if they wore masks but of course they don’t

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

rockcity posted:

loving Florida...

In actual content, can anyone recommend a bike lock for locking my bike to a tie down ring in my truck? I have a long road trip coming up in a month that I’ll be doing solo and I want a decent simple lock to lock my bike to my truck bed since I’ll almost certainly have to stop to pee at some point. It would probably also get some use on my gravel bike for short trips to the store. Basically I’m looking for something reasonably strong that would be able to loop through a tie down. I’m thinking maybe a U lock and cable might be the answer here since I don’t really need the lock strength for truck use, just something to keep someone from just yanking it off my tailgate, which the cable should do fine.

I bought an ottolock hexband which seems fit for purpose for looping through stuff and stopping crimes of opportunity.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I haven’t tried adjusting tension on my clipless but I did shim one of the cleats, which made it a billion times easier to unclip.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

jesus WEP posted:

maybe also don’t drag offsite poo poo into the thread though

^^^^

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

n8r posted:

Riding one flat one clip is stupid.

Are you riding with a real flat pedal mtb shoe now? If not try that first.

If you were a person with no disabilities complaining about feet rattling off I’d say it’s bad technique. Given your issues maybe you get a little slack, but honestly this is likely a technique issue. Work on good body position and being in that attack position. If you don’t absorb bumps with your legs you’ll rattle off pedals regardless of disabilities.

Honest question here, how was this post ableist? We do not know the extent of Voodoofly's disability. Improving technique could be a viable option for him that he should check out in addition to changing pedals.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Alright, fair enough.

It sounds like he'll still have problems with clipless. He won't be able to get out of the saddle without risking knocking his left foot off of something because he won't be able to stand with the cranks at 3 and 9. He could potentially stay in saddle without having his foot rattled off the pedals, so that's something. The game changer for him would be something that lets him lock the pedals at 3 and 9 like he was asking for because then he could get out of the saddle on descents. Obviously, getting stronger would take care of that but if that's not an option something mechanical could work.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Voodoofly posted:

I have no idea if this would work but I’m sure as hell asking the LBS about it next time I’m there.

Thanks for this, and all the other advice people have given.

all the poo poo about ableism aside, is “git gud” an option for you? you said your leg is a bummer, is it possible it could get strong enough to hold your weight or is a mechanical solution needed? cuz if so you’re probably better off talking to a dr than asking for help here

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I worry about disabling backpedaling because I backpedal to avoid roots and rocks. A concern with the brake based solution is that it must not restrict the ability to grab the actual brake at the same time. The pegs sound good because they’d keep your weight and balance centered over the BB, something a 3 or 9 pedal position does not allow but obviously you can’t pedal while they are in. Now I am imagining special cranks that somehow allow the pedal to lock at either the BB or the end of the crank that can be somehow switched between those positions while riding.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I bought a pnw cascade dropper + loam lever and installed them today. The cable frayed when attaching it to the lever which pissed me off but I got it working anyway. Got the bike to the trail and the post was stuck dropped. I figured it had to be the frayed cable so I went to the LBS, got a new cable, and installed it. Still no dice. Turns out the nylon cable in the upper actuator detached. I tried to get it back on but had problems. Pretty pissed at this thing for failing so quickly.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I recently got a PNW that broke shortly after I installed it (the nylon cable broke) but they fixed it for me pretty quickly under warranty and now it works great. So if they’re in stock get one of those maybe? And the loam lever came in a color that matches my paint.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Cuntpunch posted:

Noted later in the replies - they goofed on chain length - nothing critical - but definitely wrong. Given it was a link short - I chalked that up to an "Oops, using 1x11 measurements instead of the 1x12 measurement" mistake.
But given my "bootstrapping my maintenance knowledge from near-zero" status, it just lends to a certain wariness and sense of just needing to put the bike up on the stand this weekend and do a full check of everything. Which is a kind of weird feeling for a relatively new bike.

I'm unclear on why you think the chain length is wrong. If you're having rough shifting with the clutch off because the chain is effectively longer maybe something else is wrong besides chain length.

Cuntpunch posted:

There's a lot of bits and bobs to go over, and I'd hardly expect them to go over most generalized service concerns like turning off the rear mech clutch, lever bleeding, or any such thing. Any more than a car dealership stopping to explicitly teach replacing a spark plug. Mostly a "right-and-tight at purchase, there's a service schedule in the manual - including some self-service like cleaning and lubricating the chain."

If your expectation is not to hear all the details about the bike why are you going to email them about the clutch?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
He posted about the problem with the chain in the maintenance thread starting here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933901&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46#post516735615

To sum up:
* He got a new chain for unspecified reasons. He sized it using the instructions from the Shimano dealer's manual and got a result that was 4 links longer than the old chain he removed. He said there was some slack in the new chain when on big/big.
* Tobin told him there shouldn't be any slack on big/big. He appears to have not taken this advice into consideration.
* He destroyed his chain while trying to install it then got a new chain. We do not know how he sized the new chain.
* With the new chain and the clutch off he says "Excepting the fact that I've had some really rough shifts since adding that extra link of slack to the chain, which have also now gone away under identical conditions, sure. It's also pleasantly less noisy."
* He believes the shop messed up the original chain length by a link.

To which I say, are you sure the shop sized your chain wrong by one link too many? cuz it sounds like if you took a link out your problems with rough shifting would go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You can get a setback seatpost to go back even further but I do not recommend it till you sort your pain issue out.