Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Hey Goons, I was thinking about getting this Polygon Premier 5 to see if I like mountain biking. Seems roughly equivalent to a Trek Marlin 6. My first step above a wal mart bike.

https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-polygon-premier-5-grey-lemon-27.5-inch-mounta

Im in Louisiana so theres a number of cross country bike trails around but the terrain is fairly flattish.

Anyone think this is a mistake? I have no idea if trail biking is something I'll really like a lot because Ive never done it, so I'm hesitant to spend more money. But if I buy a less expensive bike, am I sabotaging my experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

You're better off buying a used bike than that, IMO. Dunno what the market is like around you especially now. I'd shoot for a hardtail with at least 10 speeds in the rear, 1x up front, an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes. You can upgrade tires, add a dropper, and do other little upgrades fairly cheaply if you decide you like it. If not, you can probably sell it for exactly what you paid for it (as depreciation has already hit a used bike) assuming you don't crash and break it.

Yeah this is a big issue in my area. The used market consists of walmart bikes, and $2000+ bikes with almost nothing in between, and in both cases people are demanding new bike prices

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

feelix posted:

The GT Avalanche Comp seems to be a really good entry level hardtail if you're willing to go up into the low 800s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam0HLlQqrY

The one big strike against it is the coil fork.

I think I can stretch that, looks likes in stock too. Thanks!!

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

What is your budget?

I was really looking to get away with 800 tops, less than 700 if possible since I'll be getting two for me and the so. All the bikes in this price range seem sold out everywhere

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Well goons, the GT Avalanche I found in stock had $600 shipping cost (almost as much as the bike) because it ships from Spain so I think I am not gonna get it.

However, I did find this bike for sale --

The frame is old but the components sound quality. It has the 1x drivetrain that you have all convinced me is a big quality of life upgrade, and the rockshox forks. I am 1" taller than the seller so I think the frame size would probably be ok for me.

My idea would be to get this, try out mountain biking for a while and see if I like it. Then if its awesome I can give it to my SO and get another bicycle. But not sure how much the "ancientness" of the frame matters. Is this a good deal ?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I was not able to get that salsa the other day, so for my first foray into Mountain biking I will be getting a Trek Marlin 6 because that is the only mountain bike in stock in my size that I have been able to find. It lacks a lot of the featurea everyone told me I need but hopefully its fun enough to tell me if I like mountain biking a lot or not, and then i can upgrade when the supply chain isnt wrecked from rona

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Had my first big crash today on the Marlin. Came into a tight turn with a berm too hot and also target fixated on a tree . . . Sent it off the berm and into the tree. Front wheel turned into a taco so hard it could not roll any more so I had to drag the bike two miles :(

All components seem intact though so hopefully back in business with a new rim. Tire and tube even still hold air on the taco rim.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Polygon (bikesonline.com) has had some bikes in the $500-$1000 range on stock lately. Used entry-level mountain bikes around me have been either at or above new prices though. All the shops are constantly sold out of everything that's not an e-bike.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

VacaGrande posted:

Ideally for a great starter bike that you can keep riding for a long time, you want an air spring fork vs. coil, 1x drivetrain, and hydraulic brakes. Depending on how steep your trails get and how much you want to spend, the brakes would be the last thing I'd compromise on out of that list.

I got this advice too, even the barest researcg into MTB will get you this advice and I just wanna say . . . Such bikes are basically impossible to find in stock anywhere right now, and none of that is actually necessary to have a good time. If someone is gonna be tackling a lot of pavement with the bike I suspect they aren't planning to shred the gnarliest trails in the world

Not that I'm disagreeing with you, just on other sites they would basically be telling you 1x and air fork or don't bother

OctaMurk fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
You want to maintain a good relationship with the guy, but if he isnt replying to emails for weeks, then maybe hes not interested in maintaining a good relationship with you