Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

spwrozek posted:

This weekend is a whole lot of rain. What a bummer. We are supposed to just be dry with forest fires. Got new pedals on the bike though.

I'm welcoming this rain. My last ride was surprisingly dusty. Should be some hero-dirt to be had tomorrow morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

BeastPussy posted:

I'm not partial to purple on my own bikes

Burn the witch

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Rode little scraggy today. I reset the sag and lowered the seat a bit more on my bike today.

I also need manlier legs or I need to replace my 34 front sprocket with a 32.

How was the smoke up there?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Colorado....smoke....bad....

Not riding also bad though... Not sure it was worth it tonight though.

California sending us some extra as if we didn't have enough already
https://mobile.twitter.com/nwsboulder/status/1297045647129018369?s=21

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I'm sick of the smoke/moondust. Let it dump

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Forgot the condo at winter park didn’t allow bikes in the units. So what’s the best bet: locked in the car or locked in the rack...

I'd just bring a tarp to protect the floor and bring them inside the condo anyway. Theft has been pretty bad this year.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

thatguy posted:

I swear I think it sucks but everybody working for me thinks it's spectacular, I hate you all

What makes you dislike it?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Should the bearings in a bottom bracket make any sound? I've had a cracking/creaking going on so I stripped down everything to clean/relube. I noticed if I spin the cranks really quickly with my hand (like spinning a prize wheel,, no chain installed) the BB bearings seem to make buzzing sound.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 31, 2021

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Nope. Press fit? How do the bearings feel when you turn them with your fingers?

Threaded GXP. Non-drive side rotates smoothly. Drive side is not smooth at all. Feels kind of gritty/jumpy. I'm guessing I'm better off just replacing the whole BB at this point since it's 3 years old. Thanks!

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Friends don't let friends ride SRAM brakes

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How many tire plugs is too many? I'm having bad luck with a Rekon I recently purchased. I've plugged 4 punctures in the last month (3 in tread, 1 in sidewall). I'm not sure why this is happening so much on the Maxxis...I went 2 years without punctures using Schwalbes. Running 20-22 psi @ 150lb rider weight and I tend to pick conservative lines through the chunky stuff.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

Which casing did you get? Maybe you got one of the lighter and thinner ones?

Exo+ which I think is the heaviest available for this particular model

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
A new carbon wheelset is calling me. Talk me out of it.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

hemale in pain posted:

PNW loam is really nice and it comes with a pretty little rubber ring you can match to the colour of your bike

Does PNW actually make their own stuff now? Years ago they were selling a fairly expensive dropper post that you could buy off Chain Reaction Cycles for significantly less money...just had a different brands logo on it (Brand-X). Kind of turned me off from their products.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What exactly is the reasoning behind this thing?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yXNcm0ytM

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Is plus dead? Found a nice used bike but it's currently got a fancy 27.5 wheelset with some 3.0 tires. I've never ridden 27.5 or plus.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

n8r posted:

Anyone run a Dissector as a front tire? Like it?

I had one for about 3 weeks this summer. It was decent grip-wise but I destroyed it with 2 punctures and a sidewall tear. Definitely go for one stronger than exo casing. I rarely have tire issues so I'm still at a loss on why it died so quickly. Ended up switching back to my preferred Michelins after the Rekon I paired it with started experiencing similar issues.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Found a really nice DT swiss rear wheel for a bargain price but it's 28 spoke. Am I going to die riding that on technical terrain? I'm a fairly light rider and I've never destroyed a wheel but I'm pretty sure everything I've ever ridden has at least 32 spokes. Trying to replace a blown Stans hub.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Any recommendations for a 120mm fork? Looking for something for a hardtail I'm building. Bonus points if it can be adjusted to 130 or 140 and swapped to my full suspension in the future. Right now I'm looking at:

• Pike Ultimate
  • DVO Sapphire
  • Fox 34 stepcast (120mm max)

I'm a fairly light rider (155). Currently running a regular 130mm fox 34 on my full suspension and I have a love/hate relationship with it. Can't seem to get it to perform well in small bumps but it does other stuff decently.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Left hand holds the record for the most $100k+ sprinters I've ever seen in a single trail parking area

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I need suggestions on hanging/mounting 2 mountain bikes in my garage. Previously I just had them propped against a wall but due to some changes I need to free up some space. Any downsides to vertical hangers with hydraulic brakes/dropper?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

I too hate money

eBay Sherpa meet your distant cousin PinkBike Sherpa.

Poor bike is currently in an awkward phase where he's being forced to break in a pair of his big brothers overly chunky tires until his indecisive owner decides on a new set of tires. If anyone has any suggestions on new rubber please let me know. Previously had a dissector/aggressor combo but not having much luck with maxxis longevity this year.

Nohearum fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 27, 2022

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Longevity has more to do with durometer than brand. What compound are the tires you're not happy with?

On a trail bike I'd just get high rollers or something.

Aggressor was dual compound. Started tearing knobs and eventually got leaks where they used to be. Never experienced this before so not sure if it was defective. I'm generally pretty nice to tires.

Dissector was maxterra, just wore down quickly.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Horizontal Tree posted:

Hell yeah nice. Is yours also a nice metallic sparkle flake up close? Mines subtle because it's dark blue and a matte finish (plus RideWrap) but up close and in the sun it's got a nice sparkle to it. Makes me think of space photos.
What's your fit like? I'm curious because you can't just find tons of people posting their Sherpas. I've got a 17.5/Small, 50mm stem, 180mm dropper. Fork is a SID Select, 120mm with 35mm stanchions, but pretty light. Bike looks and feels super balanced and solid. I'm 5'8-5'9 with slightly long legs.

The gray has a slight sparkle in the sun but otherwise it's pretty muted. I'm 6'0 on a 19". Feels pretty comfortable with a 40-50mm stem. Not an extremely aggressive riding position but a great bike for long days in the saddle.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Car Hater posted:

Welp. Bought some XT 8120's because

Just FYI Shimano brakes are way cheaper to buy from Europe, even with international shipping. I recently outfitted both my bikes with 7120's from lordgun.com. Somehow showed up in 3 days from Italy.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

vikingstrike posted:

You can rebuild SRAM calipers.

In my experience you also have to bleed SRAM brakes almost monthly.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Recently put an XR4 on the rear of my bike and it is extremely consistent in it's traction. Really impressed.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I have a love/hate relationship with maxxis transition zones

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
In conclusion, goons are fat.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Been having thoughts about getting a used fatbike for snow riding again...

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Anyone on the front range heard any dryish trail reports before I resort to driving to Pueblo for a ride tomorrow?

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Bud Manstrong posted:

Probably too late and it won’t matter in another few hours, but Dakota and the lower parts of Left Hand below five points are riding. I’ve heard that some of the Springs stuff is dry, but I’m not sure what. I know people are riding NTM and Green Mountain, but no idea what those conditions are actually like. Check Strava and use “this week” or “today” in the segments view.

Ended up getting a late start and went to Buffalo Creek instead of Pueblo. Some snow on north facing slopes but all rideable on 2.4's.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Does this thing look like a decent deal? Helping a friend pick out his first MTB. They are liquidating their inventory.
https://mybikeshop.com/products/orange-clockwork-evo-29-comp-wasabi-green-large.html

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
I have this recurring fantasy of throwing it at them just to see their reaction.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
Yellow shimano hose block + vise + rubber mallet = no problem

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
FYI: the devil (specialized) has a bunch of tires for sale for $26 on their ebay page if anyone's looking for new rubber.
https://www.ebay.com/str/specializedoutletstore/Bicycle-Tires-Tubes-Wheels/_i.html?_sacat=185023

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Suburban Dad posted:

I've never had spesh tires. What's recommend for trail/xc riding? I've been pretty happy with my bontrager xr4 f/r but I'm planning to drop down to xr3 for my rear soon for better rolling.

Here's some spesh R/F combos I'm familiar with for trail type riding (less grippy to more grippy):
  • Ground Control (not on ebay but can find for 40ish elsewhere)/Purgatory
  • Purgatory/Purgatory
  • Purgatory/Eliminator

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
What does your LBS charge for shift cable housing? $3.50/ft is ridiculous, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
That was just for the housing. Been a few years since I had to buy any so appreciate the feedback Will check a few other shops.