Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
First page, new bike day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

i flunked out posted:

Been looking at getting one of these, how is it?

I really like it! I've only ridden it at the pump track so far but it's really fun and I'm already (unsuccessfully) trying to jump some of the gaps. It's my first DJ so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really like that I don't feel cramped on it despite being 6'4, I think the large frame really helps.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
lol at thinking MTB prices are in any way related to production cost. They're moving to carbon because both carbon and aluminum frames cost a miniscule amount to make compared to what they charge, and they can charge much more for carbon.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Source your quotes?

you're the dupee

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
if bike manufacturers weren't capitalist bourgeois coward trash they'd sell completes with Box and Microshift drivetrains

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Does anyone have any sources for these claims? I work in a non-bike part of sporting goods and Asian manufacturing and uhhhh a lot of it contradicts what I've seen.

sounds like you're not working hard enough to find wage slaves in different parts of Asia

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
the bike industry is the worst

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Thanks for reminding me that I ran out of bleach and need to buy more

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
can I avoid having to learn how to shift correctly by going to box 1x9? My NX cassette is bent, I assume just from shifting under load

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

How much load, and pics of the cassette?

A decently heavy (210lbs) and decently strong (350+ squat) guy just mashing up a short climb as hard as I can, shifting in the middle of it, not giving a gently caress at all

It's hard to get a good pic but it's a small section (like 5 or so teeth) of one of the big cogs bent out away from the wheel.

Suburban Dad posted:

I hope this is sarcasm. Going with a drivetrain manufacturer that's probably 2nd tier compared to the big ones isn't going to fix the problem. Have some mechanical empathy bro.

I don't see what Shimano and SRAM's marketing corporate bullying technical mastery could do to change the strength of steel. I highly doubt that they have some metallurgical expertise that Box lacks when sourcing their components. This is purely an issue of how strong the cogs are, and the thicker cogs of a 1x9 would be stronger.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Kilazar posted:

I'm back!

I want to get my son a bike to start doing trails with me. But the bike shop keeps talking about "you need a 24" or a 26"" but when I look at the frames they have with 24" tires and 26" tires, they are tiny compared to him.

He's 8 years old and 4'8". His Inseam is 2'1", and his Arm length is 1'9".

The siskiu d7 starts at a height of 5''3 for their size chart. Do you think he would be ok on a small frame D7? His height is my only worry, but the rest of his measurements fit just fine in their the websites measure guide. I was thinking he's growing fast and should probably be close to 5'3 by mid summer.

*edit* their small says it's for 5'1" to 5'5" without using the "Find your size" button.

What about this?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-young-hero/2624.html

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

spwrozek posted:

I tend to notice this a lot more on flatter trail systems where you get XC type riders. It also will be Saturday morning with a full parking lot, so maybe not the time to be going for that speedy PR...

I usually just say, rider behind can I pass if you don't mind. If I know the trail doesn't have a good spot to pass I usually just pull off and wait a bit.

As usual, Strava was a mistake

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

God Hole posted:

after a few calls to every bike shop in phoenix, seems like decent full suspension mountain bikes are cleaned tf out. pretty much everyone i spoke to was like "we have no idea when we'll get more, could be as long as 8-12 months"

so after browsing some of your suggestions on the main Canyon site, I saw there was like one canyon neuron 5 left in my size so I read the writing on the wall and ordered it. should be here in a couple weeks, thanks for the help!

That's a great bike, I have one as my first MTB and at least one other poster ITT does.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I have a tight, asymmetrical neck and a tiny head. My neck brace hits all the way around except for when I'm tilting my neck to the left. Would a beefier helmet help or nah?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

VelociBacon posted:

I don't know what to say but that helmet looks extremely small. I don't think a larger helmet would make up the difference on your left side though, it's too much space. Have you had previous vertebral injury?

It looks small because it's a size small on a 6'4" person. I haven't had any vertebral injury but my shoulders are garbage so that's probably why my neck is tight

I can honestly probably get that range of motion evened out if I start stretching again, I stopped because the lack of flexibility didn't really affect me

Boogalo posted:

I thought the point of the neck brace is it keeps you from tilting your head much at all but still letting you turn and look up-down a little. I don't see that brace plus helmet being effective neck protection for you. Can you expand it vertically?

I think the point is to retain almost full range of motion and for the helmet to make contact near or at your end range

My helmet makes really solid contact with the brace at slightly less than my maximal neck flexion and extension so it's perfectly sized and functional in that regard

feelix fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 15, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I ordered a new helmet anyway, the one I have does fit small and it's falling apart and it's stupid to be willing to drop $250 on a neck brace but be wearing a non-MIPS-equivalent $60 helmet

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Braincloud posted:

Oh hey, a MTB thread!

What’s the recommendation for tire sealant? The GF just picked up a Canyon Neuron 7 and it’s tubeless ready so I’m going to convert it for her. Also, rim tape? Any better than others? My mtb came tubeless and I haven’t had to mess with them yet so ...

I think in general "tubeless ready" means all you need is valves and sealant, no tape. Specifically, my Neuron 6 came with rim strips that sealed just fine

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I'm very new to the sport and the only bikes I've ever owned are a Commencal dirt jumper and a Canyon Neuron but I think you can't really get an outright bad bike as long as you don't buy from Walmart or Dicks or something. Polygon seems to be a normal company that makes normal good bikes

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

rockcity posted:

I didn’t realize the base model for Commencal was $2299. I had it in my head they started near $3k so I hadn’t been looking at them. I’m hoping to keep it in the low 2k range if possible. I’m starting from nothing so I don’t even know enough to be picky. I just want to make sure I know all the options I should look at or avoid.

I would avoid anything without a dropper post unless you are totally sure you never want to hit jumps or drops or steep downhills. That's my only strike against the base model Meta TR

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Eejit posted:

You don't need to spend 350 on a Transfer for a dropper. I got a $75 post on Amazon for my POS frankenbike that works fine
Yeah I believe this, I took my dropper apart and it's an incredibly simple device that has no right costing as much as they do

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Bottom Liner posted:

If you're still here in FL there's no need for a dropper and you'll be plenty happy without it, especially starting out.

It's the opposite, at least in south florida? Markham and virginia key have many features where you want your seat down but they are very interspersed with climbs. You want a dropper MORE than you would in a place where the climbs and downhills are more compartmentalized

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
see this is why I wish that wide-range 9 speeds that don't explode (box) were a thing. Unless you are an xc racer who always needs to be at the perfect cadence, multi-release is solving a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, I don't need that much granularity in my gears

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I still can't believe I managed to snag my Neuron at a deep discount in July

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Based on what I've been seeing in local classifieds, seems TGTBT. I haven't seen a single modern alloy-framed bike for less than that, let alone carbon. People are marking up bikes over MSRP even. I guess the only really major thing that would be a disaster would be frame cracks or something majorly wrong with the fork though?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Boogalo posted:

It's posted in our local private group by a person people know so it does seem to be legit. The big thing I'll ask is why he got a new bike. If it was to switch to road/gravel then its probably pristine. Looked up on facebook he's a super lanky dude so its at least not been beat on by someone like me :sun:

If you have good reason to believe it's legit and it fits you, I would absolutely jump on tha

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I haven't actually tried it but I've been told that shifting a 2x drivetrain is going to annoy the gently caress out of you, that's one thing that jumped out at me that could significantly worsen your experience.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Suburban Dad posted:

You're better off buying a used bike than that, IMO. Dunno what the market is like around you especially now. I'd shoot for a hardtail with at least 10 speeds in the rear, 1x up front, an air fork and hydraulic disk brakes. You can upgrade tires, add a dropper, and do other little upgrades fairly cheaply if you decide you like it. If not, you can probably sell it for exactly what you paid for it (as depreciation has already hit a used bike) assuming you don't crash and break it.

Is depreciation even a thing in your neck of the woods? With the bike shortage around here people are asking new prices for used (although I don't know what people are paying)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

OctaMurk posted:

Yeah this is a big issue in my area. The used market consists of walmart bikes, and $2000+ bikes with almost nothing in between, and in both cases people are demanding new bike prices

The GT Avalanche Comp seems to be a really good entry level hardtail if you're willing to go up into the low 800s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oam0HLlQqrY

The one big strike against it is the coil fork.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Hopefully other goons can chime in, I've only been mountain biking since June so I don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm still on my first set of tires lol

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
That's a cool bike. Looks like the brakes are cable actuated? That's the only big strike I can find against it

A bunch of steel tubes is a bunch of steel tubes, building a rigid frame isn't rocket science, don't @ me

The substantive things that will be affected by it being old are:
1) Harder to find compatible parts (rear axle will be different than modern bikes, non-tapered steerer tube, maybe something funky going on with the bottom bracket)
2) The geometry won't be what is generally accepted as correct nowadays, but you have nothing to compare to and who even knows if your personal preferences align with modern trends

feelix fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 6, 2021

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
What's the deal with 27.5+ tires? From what I gather it's a failed experiment that happened a few years ago. What didn't people like about them?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Personally I'm 6'4 which is not CRAZY tall all things considered and my Canyon Neuron is right with the seatpost slammed. If i was an inch shorter it would have felt too big

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I might be a brain genius. I wanted an all-rounder that would be beefy enough for the bike park. I was fine with a 27.5. I could not quite stomach the latest increases in price/scarcity, and every bike spec felt like a ripoff. I bought a Status 160 because the spec is such a good deal even though it's not great from climbing. It's actually fine, it's a modern enduro bike, it's fine for climbing. Then, I bought a slack-r and ran it in reverse to make the HT steeped, and put a 27.5 wheel on the front. The increased stack height under the head tube from the kit, and the increased HA completely negate the height drop from going from 29 to 27.5. Now it feels like a mid-travel trail bike, very similar to one of the old spectrals with 160/150 travel and a 66* HTA.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

n8r posted:

Is it still 29 rear?

The Status is a factory mullet so it's 27.5 all around now

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
the cheapest high-rated one on amazon that comes from 20 different chinese sellers is fine

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Wow I've literally never heard of HT and was going to recommend getting Chesters or Stamps to support a real bike company, and it turns out HT is a real bike company that sponsors UCI champions. $50 is steep though, you can find genuine chesters or stamps cheaper

I would actually say ride the cheap factory ones until they do break. They look fine, and you're going to destroy your shins less. You might have one ride cut short with a broken pedal, up to you

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I remember Canyons getting made fun of in reviews for still having cable routing for front derailleurs like a year or two ago, so I'm surprised big brands still have those big mounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Not only are your feet farther off the pedal, you're also pedaling closer to your ball than your arch, so you're gonna need the seat higher