Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Possibly dumb question but is there anything I should know about a pressure sprayer used on bikes (gravel and emtb specifically)? I want a pressure sprayer to help clean my parking spot and figure I’ll kill two birds with one stone, but didn’t know if there things I should look for or avoid in a pressure sprayer on a bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

spwrozek posted:

There are bike specific washers that you can pick up as well. Muc-off makes one.

Thanks for the replies. I probably used the wrong terminology, I was referring to like the hand pump style garden sprayer sort of thing, with little power. The Muc-off one looks like what I was envisioning so might just go with that eventually.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

This is going to be a strange question but does anyone know of any system where you can lock the crank/pedals from spinning backwards? Basically a coaster break style that doesn’t actually break.

I’m basically riding e-mtb one legged because of spinal and nerve issues. My right leg is not strong enough for me to stand on the pedals without all my weight on the left pedal with the crank arms at 6 and 12. I’m also not strong enough to pedal standing because my right leg can’t press the pedal down while standing.

Which means I’m going on beginner single tracks mostly in the saddle or, if it’s clean enough, standing but my left foot all the way down. I’m sure if I do this enough I’ll break my foot or something worse. Riding in the saddle also has issues with balance and even just keeping my right leg on the pedal if I hit a big bump.

However my left leg is more than strong enough to support me standing up, hence I’m wondering if there is any way to get something (hopefully that I can activate and deactivate) that would allow me to lock the pedals at 3 and 9 when I press backwards on them.

I have zero idea if this is feasible or would exist in any fashion, but gently caress I want to ride cool trails despite my limitations. Preferably without breaking my foot.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone have recommendations on gloves? I had a pair of Fox defender gloves but looks like they went missing after lying them in the sun to dry this afternoon. I liked them but they were a gift and I’m open to other suggestions if there are ones people really love.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks.

Considering I crashed today (hence drying them after washing out mud from the fall) I might look for something with a little protection. Still relearning how to ride so I expect this won’t be the only fall anytime soon.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

mashed_penguin posted:

Your list looks good to me. I can totally recommend the EDC pump. I really like mine, even without the storage it seems like a really solid pump and you can use the nozzle of it with a CO2 so thats one less thing to bring. I have their edc tool in mine with their plug kit and its got pretty much everything I need for backpack less rides closer to home.

I also highly recommend the edc pump with tool.

As far as a spare tube I just use a $8 ski tie to hold it to the frame.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

I think I’ve explained it in here before (spinal fusion, basically no right quad, severe weakness in right leg) but an eMTB has allowed me to ride for first time in like 12 years.

However I’m constantly trying to figure things out that work best with my limitations. I’ve had a hard time keeping my right leg on the pedal the last couple rides when poo poo gets rocky and bouncy, probably helping lead to a crash a couple weeks ago (I mean it was mostly me being stupid but leg flying off pedal didn’t help).

I’m debating experimenting with clipless. Possibly just on the right with a flat on the left. I rode clipless pre surgery on road bikes with the road style massive plastic clips but never used an SPD or something similar. Basically anything anyone thinks I should know is appreciated, such as:

- is one clipless pedal one flat pedal loving idiotic?
- between SPD and crank brothers (or any other style) would you recommend one that might be easier to clip out in an emergency with a weaker leg
- any style of shoes you would recommend
- anything you think I should know
- anything else as well

I’m going to talk to my LBS but honestly my injuries make everything somewhat bespoke so more thoughts are always welcome, especially as this thread has some smart people.

Not sure this will happen anytime soon. Might wait until summer and the rain/mud is truly gone to make the switch, and should also give me time to hopefully test out the different systems at the LBS, but knowing me I’ll get impatient and excited and be spending money on this stuff within a week, so appreciate the ideas.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Thanks for all the replies and info and, while I appreciate the support, don't think n8r's post was as bad as some people are reading it. I didn't take any offense and I'd much rather someone reply with honest advice even if it doesn't work for my particular situation. He is right, I'm trying to figure out a cheat for a complete lack of technique, it's just in my case a cheat or bad technique will hopefully be better than my total lack of technique at the moment.

EvilJoven posted:

I met a dude that rides a fat bike with a prosthetic leg I'm p sure his setup would work well for you. Unfortunately I forget his name but as soon as I get it I'll ask him what he runs. I'm p sure he's clipped in both sides.

Glad you're getting things sorted out so you can still hit the trails!

I would definitely be interested in any info you can provide. I can also message you my email or something if you or he would prefer to pass it along that way.

PuErhTeabag posted:

Because having your bike look good matters sometimes,

Oh, it won't matter for me. I could care less how stupid I look if it means I'm riding. Besides, noting will ever stand out as much as my stem, and I don't think anyone with even a passing familiarity with bikes has seen that stem and not immediately asked what the hell was up with it. This forum included.

I'll let you all know how it goes, probably from more stories of eating poo poo and trying to figure out some other cheat to get around it.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

I'm taking the bait. Post the stem!

Guess I posted them in the e-bike thread, not here

vikingstrike posted:

Frame color is really good.

The one I rode as a demo was dull green, and had no idea I was getting a different color when I ordered it earlier this year. I'm happy with the blue, it goes well with the bell.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 30, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

We are using the adjustable for now because it will most likely come down as we determine the best fit. I actually just dropped it a bit last week. It’s not intended to be a forever stem, and the LBS knows where I’m riding and don’t think I’m anywhere near able to hit a trial where it will give out before I do. Once we get a better understanding of how aggressive I can eventually go with it we will try and swap it for something more permanent.

They also check it for me every couple weeks (I check it every ride).

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

kimbo305 posted:

If it weren't for the middrive motor, I wonder if you could fit a tandem crank, mount a rotor in the NDS side, and then install a third brake to lock the crank angle. Hell, you still could if the motor used a common spindle standard and could sacrifice some Q factor.

I have no idea if this would work but I’m sure as hell asking the LBS about it next time I’m there.

Thanks for this, and all the other advice people have given.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Dren posted:

all the poo poo about ableism aside, is “git gud” an option for you? you said your leg is a bummer, is it possible it could get strong enough to hold your weight or is a mechanical solution needed? cuz if so you’re probably better off talking to a dr than asking for help here

It won’t ever get stronger. The doctors had to sever my right L3 and L4 periphery nerves at the base of the spine. So there isn’t a nerve to fire the muscles those nerves used to feed and therefore no way to make those muscles grow. Like I can learn to cheat things and maybe some of the nerves that still work can remap to cover other things but it’s been 12 years my quad is never magically coming back to even 20% strength.

Medically speaking I shouldn’t be able to walk unassisted. But I can. There are lots of things that I shouldn’t be able to do but I can. My neurosurgeon is still flipping his poo poo that I can even ride an E-bike up hills for any sort of distance. I’m well into unknown territory and most doctors and therapists are pretty honest that all I can do is keep trying poo poo and seeing if it works, and most agree that the more opinions I can get the better. You never know when someone will think of something that works.

The guy who owns my local shop has worked with other people with severe disabilities, it’s why I went with his shop, but he is also the first to say that it’s all experimentation. I’ve spoken with a couple other shops, with people at Whistlers adaptive sports program, and I’ve even ran down a guy I saw riding a road bike with one leg.

This thread is just another knowledge base, but it’s full of smart people and you never know when someone will say something that might help.

So I do appreciate everyone’s thoughts and advice.

Edit: and my left leg is loving strong, more than enough to hold me up and brace myself. It’s basically worked as two legs for 12 years. I can easily support myself on just the left leg, I just don’t want to break my loving foot because the crank is at 6 and my foot is inches off the ground. And I just need my right foot and leg not flying off into gently caress-off land every time I hit a serious bump.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 1, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Again thanks for all the replies. All of this is still a ways off but I’ll definitely be talking with shops about some ideas and let people know how it goes.

And yeah most of this is just living in the North Shore surrounded by amazing trails and wanting to push myself as far as I can. Worst case I can still ride access, gravel trails, and some super beginner kid style trails, all of which I would never have dreamed even a few years ago. If that’s all I can do I’ll still be happy as hell.

But I won’t lie every time I come past a cool downhill trail I spend five minutes (or more likely a few hours at work during the week) trying to figure out ways I can eventually get down it.

And pegs. Yeah pegs might be the simple solution, especially on a downhill trial if I don’t need to peddle.

Suburban Dad posted:

No help from me on solutions but it's badass that you're still at it despite what you've been through. I may be in store for a fusion later myself (herniated disc and 1 surgery so far but it's not going to get better with age) so this is a bit scary but also promising. Did they intend to cut that nerve or was it collateral damage? Honestly I haven't looked into the procedure much. Is your range of motion noticeably reduced?

I had a massive spinal tumour that was right up against the spine at L2 and L3. . They had to cut my nerves to get the tumor out, and to do that they had to shave away the bone on my spine. It had also pushed some of the other nerves out of alignment so they ended up reseating them but in the end I have a five level fusion (L2 to S1). It was just one part of a multi day procedure to get the thing out of me in one piece.

So basically don’t let my story scare you. Even on me the fusion itself is the least problematic issue, and from my understanding the range of motion issues is basically compounded as you fuse multiple vertebrae. I know people with one lever or two level fusions and they can do just about everything they did before. Often better as they are in less pain.

I won’t lie and say a fusion is a breeze but from people I know who had disc issues their response to a fusion is usually “I wish I got this years ago”.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Purple air was what most people used back in the Bay Area for air quality. Honestly I can’t imagine riding if there are fires anywhere nearby. Also fire smoke sometimes doesn’t trigger on air quality readings very well and it can shift rapidly: just trust your lungs if it feels bad but air quality says it’s good.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Was able to get a nice ride in with a buddy yesterday. Not pictured is all my rain gear in my backpack because we swore it would rain the entire ride when we left at dawn.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 2, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

mexecan posted:

Fisherman’s? Nice.

Yep. Still washed out in places as you head up towards the dam.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Anyone here have experience with trials around Whistler? I was just told I’m getting a two days of riding and an air bnb to stay at for a night without kid duty as a Father’s Day gift.

I’ll be riding solo so was maybe looking for any recommendations for a cool gravel/xc route for one day and then just something fun and super beginnerish maybe for another day. Riding alone plus the physical issues I’ve raised in here means I’m just going to try and ride something fun and beautiful but stay pretty conservative on pushing myself.

It will be on a weekend if that matters. And I live in the health region so the travel restrictions dont apply to me, but at the same time I don’t feel comfortable riding in a group of strangers and am trying to avoid crowds altogether.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

pinarello dogman posted:

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

Thanks appreciate it (and quoting this so I can find it later this month when I go)

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

bicievino posted:

I have only used it once so far, but have been impressed with the OneUp EDC pump.

Same. I have the multi-tool and Plug and Pliers kit in mine, worked well for a friend's flat a couple months ago. I think you can also store CO2 cartridges in there as well but I've never had any luck with CO2 so skipped that bit.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

I've seen a strap rack fail completely once (killed two bikes) and partially a second time (damaged a frame) and that's enough for me to never trust a frame that's not bolted to the roof/hitch.

A long time ago I saw someone show up for a ride and let out a primal scream when he got out of the car. One of the arms had worked loose or snapped or something, the bikes were now lying directly against the car on one side and half the paint was missing from his trunk. No idea if the bikes were messed up but if they were fine I assume it was due to dumb luck.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

As someone who can’t wear a ring (or watch or bracelet) I can’t loving imagine riding with my wedding ring.

Well I can because once things get back to normal I’ll finally get my tattooed ring that I missed for our 10th anniversary last year. But not a ring ring.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

We’ll don’t need advice on Whistler this weekend as someone drilled through our garbage access and then through the second garage door and stole my bike last night. rear end in a top hat left the drill in its place but didn’t take the battery charging a few feet away so jokes on them I guess.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VacaGrande posted:

Oh gently caress, I'm really sorry. Following along with your riding has been really cool and I hope you're able to be made whole again soon.

Thanks. We have renters insurance so hopefully they don’t hassle us. It was an obvious break in and we have the police report.

I hope those pedals spike the rear end in the shins a few times trying to pedal that heavy rear end bike with no power getting it out of here

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

You're in Vancouver right? Can you post a photo of the stolen bike (here)?

e: Oh it's the e bike posted earlier in the thread right?

Yeah North Vancouver.

https://project529.com/garage/bikes/pump-cassette-saddle-handlebar/bolo

There is the Project 529 link. Good news is since they didn’t get the battery it’s going to be hard yo get a replacement. Bad news is it means it’s probably being stripped for parts.

Update: Well, my bike shop is having me come in at 3:30 to to set up a demo bike for me to borrow this weekend so I can still go riding on my Whistler trip. Still haven't heard back from an insurance adjuster.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 17, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

pinarello dogman posted:

Whistler valley trails are pretty spread out, so you're not going to see a ton of people, even on the weekend. Anything rated green on Trailforks you should be good to ride in the saddle, though a lot of it is basically bike paths/gravel trail.
Blue trails have a huge variability in difficulty, most of them I think you would have a tough time on, but try the Lost Lake area. That's generally the most beginner friendly singletrack. Not sure about gravel ride options.

Edit: Rainbow-Sproatt flank is mostly a road or wide singletrack as far as I know. Might have some tough bits. Has some decent views though if you want to get up the mountains a bit but not hit anything super challenging. Can't guarantee anything as I haven't ridden the whole thing.

Thanks for this by the way. I was doing loops around lost lake for hours yesterday before just cruising along some of the valley trails for the scenery.

Going to go out again today before heading back.

Also holy poo poo I knew North shore terrain is tricky but riding up here reinforces it so much. I feel blue tracks here are easier for me than most north shore greens just because it’s not big tangled roots and erosion exposed granite for miles and miles. I’m sure for most people it’s less of an issue but it’s a bane for me. Sort of gives me hope that I’ll be able to ride some real trails at some point if they aren’t super techy.

I actually looked into getting a bike park pass to shuttle easy does it today but riding solo on a demo bike and doing my first shuttled paths seemed like not the best idea. Plus they were sold out.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

That makes more sense. Heading out again before I drive home. I’ll get pics up tonight.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Anything I should know about potentially purchasing a demo bike?

I'm still fighting with our insurance for my Scott that was stolen, might be taking them to small claims although I'm still waiting to hear back from a higher up person right now. On top of that if I want to get a Scott again I'm waiting for the 22 models as they sold out for the year.

However my shop said they are possibly selling the demo bike they let me take to Whistler in the next couple months. It's more bike than I would normally buy, but if I get 30% or so discount its cheaper than my Scott was. I trust the shop, not worried about them selling a wrecked bike and I'm good at keeping them maintained after the fact so I'm seriously considering it.

It's all very preliminary though - this just came up today when I was talking to them about servicing my wife's bike. I don't know if they will sell it or what the discount might be. If it looks like this might be an option I definitely want to ask about the factory warranty and what they honor on that, but anything else specific I should ask about that I probably wont think of?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I guess there's two things here, I wouldn't let your insurance company buy you a used bike when you pay insurance premiums with the understanding that you will be compensated properly for theft (with the $ on the receipt I thought).

If someone was just asking without that context about it, I don't think there's anything really too wrong with a properly serviced used bike provided they commit to doing the normal stuff that every whistler shop does with their used bikes and replace all the bearings, generally the drivetrain wear components, brake pads and rotors, etc. I don't know if an e bike that was a demo is a worse idea because it'll maybe have more cycles on the battery.

Thanks.

Battery life was something I was thinking about, but depending on the discount I'd be willing to take a not-new battery and if it means I replace it sooner then it might be worth it anyway, especially if it means I don't wait six months to get a bike. It's also Obsession in North Van that is doing it, so most of the demo rides have been on the North Shore and I don't have any doubt about the shop keeping it properly serviced. Asking about replacing some of the components is a good idea, though - I sort of figured that factored into the discount price.

Insurance is a separate issue. They won't be buying me the bike, it's just a fight about how much they will reimburse me. Right now we are fighting about that amount, but however that shakes out they are writing me a check it doesn't affect how I spend that money. Not to get too in the weeds but they told us my wife's bike was covered without needing to be scheduled when we applied for the policy (which turns out is NOT correct). Because of that I didn't think we needed to schedule the one that got stolen. It's partly my fault that I didn't reconfirm the info on my new bike, but at the same time don't tell us wrong limit amounts on the phone and then fail to correct it in the policy right? They also sent me a reply email about the claim that quoted the wrong info again, so I'm hoping when I talk to someone with decision making power and show them our policy declaration missing information as well as their claim response quoting me the wrong policy information that I can get them to make us happy customers for life and not quibble over a few thousand bucks or, worst case, they never see a dime from us again and have to spend the time and money to fight in small claims.

They were supposed to have called me back Tuesday. Tomorrow I get to call and email the local agent again who passed me up and ask when I can expect to speak to someone.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

mashed_penguin posted:

Yeah I think i'll check out the local races next season and see which ones have a pushing 40 not hardcore class. I'm liking this slightly moister weather turn in BC over the last few days. Climbing in the mist is neat.

Slippery roots making a return less neat.

Where is that? I want to go there.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

New bike day to replace the one stolen in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

First time riding trails with my little guy. It was fun and since we had a tow cable I was able to pull him up the mountain a few times then follow behind as he bombed the trails on the way down. He liked to repeatedly remind me that I was too slow and point out dips and ditches like the one in the second pic that he could go over fast but might be too hard for me.