Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

At current bike sales volumes, does either tech run the risk of wearing out a die or mold in the run of a bike?
Carbon molds don't get "used up" IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

On the topic of bike manufacturing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QXtZkQAvTg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

hello friends do any of you have experience with kids knee/elbow pads? our oldest has taken quite the taste to park riding but doesn’t like bruising over and over.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think I'd ever want a dropped to ride gravel, but a locking suspension post would be ace for gravel bikepacking.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gentle goones I need skatepark slicks (>2") in 27,5". Does such a thing exist? Gravelking TLC?
What are my options for 20"? Schwalbe Crazy Bob 54-406?

Anyone ride on (polished) concrete with those sizes?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nyyen posted:

The one black diamond trail in Des Moines is barely worse than the access trail to a blue line out here. I don't know how I'm supposed to ride this stuff uphill.
Open the shocks, sit down and pedal.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

Hoo boy trying to get a 24 inch bike right now. Or any bike right now.
What are you after? What's your budget?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OhsH posted:

Trying to find a precaliber 24, or really any 24, front suspension fork would be a bonus but its not make or break, just trying to find something for my friends kid to come with us on the easy stuff. Sub 600$ is ideal. Also located in northern indiana, the local place wont get anything in until january.

https://www.pellobikes.com/bike-shop/reyes is prob one I'd look at but they're waiting on stock.

Rei has this?
https://www.rei.com/product/143201/co-op-cycles-rev-drt-kids-bike

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

h3r0n posted:

A post COVID goon ride is in order!
In a couple years ya

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's always worth having a spare hanger on you and another at home. Especially if your bike is a couple years old, getting one could take weeks.
Also spare links.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nerobro posted:

So... What's with meter wide handlebars? Last time I had a mountain bike, last two times.. bar width was inversely proportional to how ... good? the bike was. Now when I check out things on like GMBN they're talking 750-800mm wide bars.

How, and when did this shift happen? Why did it happen? I feel like it may relate to the idea of a bike park, where getting between trees isn't like.. a question anymore. Also, bar ends? those seem to have vanished.
What year is this?

Not but seriously short stem, wide bars, slack HT and steep seat tubes are the way of the world now.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Machine built sucks. Flow sucks.
you shut your whore mouth

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

When I replaced my kid-hauling bike they both demanded it be orange. It's a good color.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

And the older kid just picked out the MF'ing orangest lid to replace his old Giro. It's going to be fall colors for the next couple of years.

I've been looking into replacing my stolen spectral and now covet a 5010 very badly.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 23, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

2021 5010's won't be in my shop til mid november I'm gonna go crazy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

vote_no posted:

There's gonna be snow everywhere by then :smith:
Where we are we don't stop for snow but if I have to immediately stick a pair of studded tires on my fresh bike I'm gonna be livid.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

Curiosity, why lean towards a 27.5 bike vs 29er?
I've gotten my rear end sanded by my backwheel enough on a 27.5.

Serious answer, I don't think one's necessarily superior to the other but I much prefer the agility of 27.5 and I can easily live with the reduced roll-over capacity, especially since half my riding it at the local skatepark with our kids.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That'll do, pig.

Get well soon!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Thanks for the offer. I'm down in Charlottesville and fortunately my mom is in the field and very well connected so i got in to see someone good this morning and have surgery scheduled for Thursday already. Prognosis is good. 6 weeks or so for wrist cast, shoulder will be much more mobile in a week or so but sling for 6 weeks too. Finger is a simple splint
That’s really good considering the circumstances. Heal quick!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

As long as he can get good leg extension and not bump steer with his knees I'd always err on the smaller side. Muscling around a large and heavy frame just isn't fun when you're tiny.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah a bunch of times on my old MTB I was really glad my kid's bike has a loudass freehub. Mine was just way too quiet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

iospace posted:

Some of us ride in snow using 700x38cs!
Yeah I did that for years. 700x35 with studs is totally fine except for fresh 10cm+ snow.

Before that 700x28ish gp4ks and that was not fine at all but survivable if you stuck to existing tracks I guess

me your dad posted:

A little over 24 hours later, and $45 well-spent, it's fixed. :dance:

that's awesome.

spwrozek posted:

Guy 1: asked what they have been riding and if Guy 2 rode with kid 1 and 2
Guy 2: Yeah I rode with them this morning, they are pretty overrated. Their parents really talk them up but they are not that great.
gently caress that guy :mad:

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 26, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

me your dad posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for the most minimal, smallest frame bag? I want to be able to carry my phone, my wallet, my keys, and (at times) a small snack. I hate the way bags look on a bike so the more subtle, the better.
I'd get a burrito bag or one that goes behind your stem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There's two points at which I eat dirt: when I'm trying too hard or getting complacent on easy stuff. Same when I ski.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

My cracked ribs are pretty much healed, thank you very much. I'm glad the weather has been lovely, gives me less opportunity to go injure myself again!

Boogalo posted:

I'm still healing from my OTB on a jump a month ago. Right clavicle was bolted together has been ok'd as of friday(3 weeks since surgery) but left wrist and right ring finger are still fucko'd and look like they need surgery now. :(

Ropes4u posted:

My hardest fall was on a green trail at winter park when I feel in a corner. I broke two fingers, one that still hurts now and then.

This is why it's been all flow trails for me since 'rona started. I aint stepping foot in a med facility unless you loving make me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm surprised to hear people recommending winter tires. I've never even heard of that but I guess I live somewhere temperate.
In scandinavia they make a good bit of difference. In summer the trails are quite dry (but not dusty) and you can ride most everything with smaller/tigher knob geometry. In winter everything's a mud infested shitfest, and you might have to deal with snow on top of it. Big knobs with more space to clear mud helps.

Aphex- posted:

Here in the UK mud tyres/winter tyres are pretty much the same thing. Lots of people here tend to change out their tyres in winter for something with a much more aggressive tread pattern to be able to deal with the mud and slop from the rain, for example changing out a DHF for a Shorty. It's less to do with soft compounds and more to do with the tread. Then when the drier weather comes back they change back so the rolling resistance isn't so crap.
This is quite similar to what people do here.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gstu posted:

Does it really matter if I buy road bike shoes vs mountain bike shoes?
Road shoes will limit you to road pedals, are very hard to walk in, and generally just aren't as burly. Also just replacing your current set with decent flat pedals would do you a world of good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

spwrozek posted:

One tip. You don't need to crank down your brake, shifter, and dropper levers. You can make them tight but still movable by hand. If you crash they usually just rotate instead of breaking off.
LBS gave me that pro tip years ago and it's probably saved me hundreds in parts over the years.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

Can you do volume spacers? What does a shock that is having a hard time keeping up feel like? Speed up the rebound?
It depends on what's shot. Typically it'll lose pressure on the reg, and generally the damping will fade.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Looking to pick up an Ibis Ripmo this season. Is XT worth it over GX Eagle?
Unless the diff is massive yes.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

funkymonks posted:

I’d personally go SLX with carbon rims for 100$ more than the XT package if that’s your price range. I’d rather spend the money saving weight on the wheels than components and SLX vs XT is pretty darn close in quality.
Are the new SLX shifters less sloppy than older stuff? SLX also doesn't let you upshift 2 at a time which is minor, but aggravating.

You can also just stick an XT shifter on the SLX bike for little money, and I'd take that and carbon rims over full XT tbh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Baronash posted:

I got excited and bought a pair of Chester pedals to go with the bike that’s getting here in a few days. The pins on the pedals are much more horrifying in person than they looked online. Are these things gonna tear my shins open, or do they really keep your feet in place?
Hit the hardware store for some spacers and stick them under the screw heads. I ride shimano and they come factory with them, then you can remove spacers if you need more shin burgerizing.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

:kiss:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Is there anything grievously wrong with SC 5010's? I'm ordering one early next week.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

numptyboy posted:

Only if you have 0 kidneys left after.
It's mostly insurance money.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I have a 2019 and love it as a do it all bike, been happy with it for everything from dirt jumps to shuttle days to long all day trail rides, a friend put xc tires on it and did a 100 mile race on his.

Bit of a master of none and I now have a dj and will probably buy a longer travel bike but still happy with it and love riding it.

thanks to you both :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i have a steel rigid, i'm mostly just windowshopping. the one i have is right at the upper limit for me size wise and has a horizontal top tube so I have zero room to hang my butt over the rear wheel, and since its my rain bike i am always being reminded of the limitations of rim brakes. but it'll be a while before i have new bike money
Put hydro rim brakes on it. They're so amazing for the money.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Kona process 153.

a gud biek

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

n8r posted:

I was just told the specialized stumpjumper evo I ordered last fall isn’t coming until fall as a 2022 model. It could very well cost more as well.
The SC I ordered is coming next week (fingers crossed etc). gently caress a spesh tbh.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Levitate posted:

honestly kinda surprised you got a SC that easy, they said like a month ago their 2021 stock was sold out (to stores etc)
you're not in the US though so maybe that changes things?
I got the last sorbet 5010 at that store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just test rode the new SC 5010 and if you're under 6' and riding the factory 800mm bars you either have gorilla proportions or you're a loving psycho.

Other notable things: not having a fork lockout is weird and I dunno if I'll get used to it for fire-roads etc, shimano 12spd is ok but the downshift action is way too heavy, long droppers are NICE.