Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

Yes and no. The amount of wear created by a vehicle is related to the forces applied, which is impacted by weight, contact patch, amount of power being applied, and amount of slip.

Obviously an e-bike is going to be heavier than a normal one, but well within the margin of error of rider weight variance. Contact patch is the same, and e-bikes of course can deliver more power and thus produce more slip than a normal bike but that also entirely comes down to how you ride it.

Someone who's casually riding their e-assist bike up a hill is likely causing less wear than a strong rider pumping hard up the same hill, and someone just ripping the throttle on an e-dirtbike is likely the worst.

I suspect that the smoother power delivery of an e-assist bike might actually make them cause less wear than the variable pumping energy delivery from a strong human rider keeping the same pace when compared apples to apples, but I don't have data to back that up.
From my casual experience helping with trail maintenance, euro e-bikes are almost identical to legs-only MTBs, 250w just isn't a lot of power.
The bikes with throttles and real engines (EV or not) can be horrid. One rear end in a top hat braaaaaping his way up the trail makes it look like a hundred world tour riders pedaled up it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

it’s not a lot for a trails. it IS a lot for the me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

idk if direct drive was ever a thing but the regen braking they allow for seems like something that'd be appealing for cross-country riding, if not downhill. are the big chonky electric hubs a thing with electric mountain bikes?
Increasing your unsprung weight sucks balls so no. Having a direct drive hub on my cargo bike was great because it enabled silent assist and great torque-assist, but the regen was negligible. Was nice to save on pads tho.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

how much riding on hills did you do?
Half my commute was a hill. Like I said, great for avoiding pad heat/wear. Made virtually no difference to range. I rode for months without a brake hall-sensor, and when I finally installed it I was real sad with the result.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

interesting. i always assumed it would help a lot on rolling hills, getting back some portion of the energy spent climbing
It helped plenty, just not with what I expected >:-|

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Also a good bike TBH. And most nice steel rigid MTBs make great commuters for a reason: they're not actually optimized for climbing/downhill, they're just pretty normal flat bar bikes with decent tire clearances.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

When I was growing up, myself and 40 other u18 downhill racers got our cheeks clapped by a guy nobody knew on a planet-X hardtail with Jr. T's. I had forgotten all about this trauma until just now, thanks thread.
Those types of dudes are always impressive. My LBS owner *houses* everyone at every ride he shows up to, it's so funny.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

prom candy posted:

Getting fat and forgetting everything I learned in year 1 of mountain biking.

Is it bad to ride if the roads have been salted? We're supposed to have some above-freezing days next week, there's no way I'm gonna hit actual trails as they're probably pure slush but I might take my bike out on a MUP just to get some saddle time in. I haven't ridden since early November.
It's fine just wash down with warm water when you get home and re-lube.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I simply ride my bike
I hitch my MTB to my e-cargo and ride to the trail. Then I ride the trail. Then I ride home. Feels good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

I was wondering why helmet recommendation didn’t get any pushback. Then I realized that the mountain biking thread is a sanctuary from the Dutch.
I mountain-biked in the netherlands for years and essentially everyone wears a helmet. Same for road riding (wielrennen).

gently caress a helmet for commuting when you have netherlands level infra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Accidents happen, and I don't have enough hair to worry about it so I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time I'm riding a bike.
That’s totally fair. I ride with a lid on now that I don’t live there anymore.