Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Maybe check out out the Banshee Phantom/Prime or new Commencal Meta TR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

Welp. Who do we like in Denver for shock service?

Maverick. Ethan does great work.

https://mavericksuspension.com/

If you want to ship it out or drive to Longmont, DirtLabs is good as well and has a relatively quick turnaround.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

thatguy posted:

A week from now we're gonna be starting on the blue descent trail from the bottom up, gonna take a month or so but it's gonna be the goods, 1000 feet, 2.4 miles. I've talked to parker a few times about it but I'm gonna do a flowy downhill towards the west down a drain I like kinda off the meadow, but that'll be probably november and who knows, maybe next year. I don't give a gently caress how long we stay out here, we're staying until it's impossible to work because south carolina is a loving shitshow and I don't want the rona

Hell yeah. Been seeing some volunteer calls from the Giddyup folks too. Excited about what’s going on out there.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

I rode flats in the spring and was really happy with the OneUp composites. Same price as the Chesters.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Those trails look great. Nice work. Would love to get up there some day.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

You’re asking why things are the way things are? More riders ride faster on harder terrain now than they did in 1998. Bikes are longer and slacker now. Reach measurements have increased as part of making modern bikes more stable at speed. The short stem helps center rider weight on these longer and slacker bikes. If you pair a short stem with 650mm bars, you’re going to get extremely twitchy and unpleasant steering. Wide bars help mitigate that aspect of a short stem, and they fit into a system in which the rider steers at speed more with their hips and body and less with their bars. Plus they feel and look cool.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Mexican Radio posted:

"but the trail will be hero next weekend" I repeat as a mantra while I harvest my entire garden

literally my day today

I do think the door shuts on alpine season tomorrow, though. :smith:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

yoohoo posted:

I'm going to be in the Colorado Springs area for the next ~3 weeks and am looking for some fun rides. Does anybody have any recommendations? Anywhere within ~45 minutes. I'm coming from NE chunk so long and flowy would be ideal.

Also would take recommendations for some good trails I can take my gravel bike on.

Long and flowy: ride up Gold Camp Road and drop Jack’s and Chutes. I haven’t ridden much down there but that fits the bill.

Grav: Rampart Range Road is great. Check out the course for the Rampart Rager, the grav sections are supposed to be wonderful. 45 minutes should also get you to Cañon City, and you should ride the Crippler course. It’s beautiful. Climb Phantom Canyon and descend Shelf Road.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

I got a new bike

It’s good.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

My wife and I were going to ride up in Fraser/Winter Park today, but the Williams Fork fire and a 30-minute delay on 70 this morning had us detour down to Buffalo Creek. We did Buffalo Burn and out to Chair Rocks on CT Segment 2. It was her first time surfing the kitty litter, and she did great. For as crowded as BC can get, Segment 2 was quiet. Always some great scenery in the South Platte watershed.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

thatguy posted:

I swear I think it sucks but everybody working for me thinks it's spectacular, I hate you all

I actually agree with you to some degree, but there isn’t anywhere else you can ride that much continuous singletrack in the state if you want to put together a big day. There’s 50 plus miles of singletrack out there. It’s (as in this instance) a great place to take all levels of riders if you can string together a route that avoids the killer climb trails. You can ride it literally all year; the decomposed granite drains better than anywhere else. The views are top notch too.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Mexican Radio posted:

it's tough to get excited about spending an hour in the car that I could be doing a second Belcher/Longhorn lap.

:hmmyes:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

I’ve been thinking about trying a Dissector up front on my hardtail next time around. Still fast rolling and relatively light, but a bit more cornering grip than the standard light/fast options. Dissector was designed as a rear tire, but people seem to like it as a front for more XC/trail type riding.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

My local trails are around Wenatchee wa, mostly blue square, will I feel horribly overbiked?

Done any big 5+ hour rides with it? How is the efficiency over long distances.

I just did 57 miles and 7k feet on it last weekend, and I didn’t have any complaints.

Gonna recycle some general impressions from the main bike thread:
The bike pedals extremely well. I don’t think it gives up much at all to my Pivot Trail 429 in terms of pedaling. It’s not harsh or overly firm, though. I’ve gone with Ibis’ recommended settings on the suspension thus far, and they want riders to run the fork and shock extremely open. It gives the bike almost a trophy truck feel through fast, repeated hits. The fork is still supportive for diving into steeps, though. I might add a spacer to the shock (I went with the Float X2 upgrade) and I’ll definitely run a little more compression for really rowdy trails or park riding, as I do feel like I’m going through the travel very quickly at recommended sag and it’s not feeling perfectly front/rear balanced yet. The bike feels very planted overall, and I’m very happy with the way it descends.

quote:

How is the ground clearance? I'm constantly pedal striking with the Optic on technical climbs. Drives me nuts...

I went with 170 cranks and I’m still getting more strikes on tech climbs than on my Pivot. I’m getting used to it, but the bike definitely requires you to be mindful climbing. I haven’t had any pedal strike issues descending.

quote:

Should I upgrade to the carbon wheels? It's $800 to do so, and I could get some Chinese wheels for that price. I'd end up with two sets of wheels which might be nice.

As long as you’re ok with them being 35s, yes. 2.5 Maxxis WT tires have a great profile on them. They’re relatively light and feel good so far. I’m also running inserts, for what that’s worth.

quote:

Other brands my lbs carries are Orbea and Norco. Any thoughts on their bikes? Norco you get some pretty good value for money, and a new Optic has been on my mind. I'm not sure just going up to 125r travel is going to provide the ride I want.

The Optic would be a huge change just for the geometry. Given that most of your riding is blue trails, that might be the perfect balance between modern geo and short travel feel. I’d definitely get on that bike. I don’t think the Ripmo would necessarily feel like too much bike, but that’s probably more a question for a demo. You’ll be thankful for it when you do get on the bigger stuff. The Occam might be a good call too. 140 travel, but supposedly feels more poppy and supportive than other bikes in that travel range. Also it’s a looker.

Speaking of Ripmo rides, snuck out for a quick one tonight after work.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

If you’re willing to invest the time and energy, RideWrap.

vikingstrike posted:

I’ve wrapped two bikes with RideWrap and been happy. Helped wrap another bike and I think that one turned out fine too. Just long and tedious to do.

I am the “another bike” in this post and it turned out great and also vikingstrike is a saint.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Perfect hardtail trails down there. Bike looks great.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Then I decided to check the other local shops for anything interesting, that's when I found the new sj evo. The groupsets for the money are superior to the ripmo. I really liked the swat box for my long rides. The frame is lighter than the ripmo and it comes with lighter tires (I would have swapped out the assegais right off the bat). I like the geometry options as well. I'll probably run it high and steep most of the time, but the option to go low and slack is nice for a park day.

So there you go, it's going to take just as long to get as the ripmo, but I think it'll fit me a bit better.

Nice! When did they quote you for delivery? I love the SWAT box and the top cap tool.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Go watch the replays of the two Lousa World Cups if you haven’t already. Please don’t delay, do it ASAP. Absolutely incredible riding on a great new track.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

I have this magcshine headlamp:

Spent $150 on the drat thing and I've used it < 20 times. It now does not seem to be holding a charge. I like how the headlamp attaches to my helmet, so I'd like to keep the form factor. What should I get to replace it? Really disappointed with the lifespan of this product. I had an older magicshine headlamp that held up great. Unfortunately, I've handed that down to my BIL.

If you like the light, I’d keep it and get a new battery from Action LED or eBay. It’ll be cheaper than getting a new light and battery anyway.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Can you link me the proper battery? Do I have to tear my battery apart to do this? I'm not sure what I need to look for.

You don’t need to tear it apart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324264376281 should work. Or something like this https://www.action-led-lights.com/collections/batteries/products/gloworm-3400mah-2-cell-battery-no-fuel-gauge.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 4, 2020

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

she came to check on you :allears:

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Hip packs are great and miles better than backpacks. I have this one and dig it. The bottle holders are easier to use than any other pack I’ve tried - you can easily remove and replace bottles while riding - and it fits enough stuff for most rides.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

me your dad posted:

Taken a few minutes after my riding buddy went OTB off this drop. When someone declines to get video of them doing something stupid, record anyway. We were both regretting not getting the wreck on video. He was going so slow that I thought he was doing a practice run on it. Then he nose-dived and did a somersault, still attached to his bike and his rear wheel hit him in the face. This drop is much bigger than it looks.

Is that on the Black line at Fountainhead?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

me your dad posted:

Good eye. It is indeed. It's the second of the three drops if I recall correct. It was my third time out on the black loop. Normally I just do blue and green. It's a good challenge. Those uphill rock gardens are mean. Strava recorded 12.5 miles for all three loops.

Someone else later that day apparently dislocated a shoulder on the black loop.

Where do you ride often? I live a few minutes by bike to Accotink so I'm there most of the time.

I don’t live there, but I rode there maybe five years ago and I remember doing either that drop or one of the others on that loop. The whole trail system was a lot of fun, especially for how close it is to DC. I rode Wakefield and Accotink when I visited the next year. I remember Accotink being fun, but I don’t remember any specific features or trails.

The best riding I did out there was the stuff around Stokesville. I’d love to ride out there again some time. Hopefully I can get an East Coast trip in next year post-COVID.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Chain Reaction has some Maxxis deals. Might be sold out in 29, but worth a look.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

If anyone has an older (2015-maybe 2017) Fox 36 and would like some volume spacers, I’ve got a lot I’d send out for shipping cost. Part number is 803-00-888, if you’d like to check. I’ve got the orange (10.8cc) and blue (7.6cc) ones.

Your air shaft needs to look like the one here.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

God Hole posted:

edit: suppose I should mention I'm looking for something that can handle pretty rough terrain, is decently durable, but won't break the bank. having a hard time coming up with something less than $2000, even on craigslist and FB marketplace. which I think is a ridiculous amount for what is essentially a first purchase.

You’ll be looking at aluminum bikes, and ideally something with at least 120mm of travel if you’re going to be playing around in those rocks. If you’re looking at new bikes, the Norco Fluid FS bikes have good geometry for general trail riding. The FS2 seems to be the sweet spot for price and quality, but that’s over your budget by $300. Canyon has new Neurons in your price range, and they’re saying December. There’s a new Canyon Spectral coming soon, and if they release an aluminum version, that seems great for what you’re looking at. If you want something even more descent focused that’ll give up a bit on the climbs, the Commencal Meta TR 29 looks like a hell of a bike, and they’ve got one for $2,199... next March :smith:

It sucks, but a seller’s market right now. Some folks think next year will be good for used bikes, and manufacturers are saying that bike availability will be hosed through 2021. So who the hell knows?

If you’re looking used don’t go much older than a few years; the further back you go, you’ll be sacrificing things like more modern geometry, 1x drivetrains, and dropper posts.

Feel free to post up some stuff you’re looking at and we can arglebargle about it. I don’t envy you trying to find a bike right now, but it’ll be worth it once you do.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Hawk Hill is now the Rift Zone 27.5; someone got mad at Marin about that. The big difference is wheel size vs. the Rift Zone 29 with bigger wheels. The 29er also has a slightly slacker head tube angle and steeper seat tube angle.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I did this with my bike when it was new, I used that UK based online one where you have to put it on yourself and it took forever but turned out quite well.

I'd do it again for any new carbon bike. For aluminum bikes I wouldn't really care I guess.

I did RideWrap (the Whistler one) on my frame. Shop let me take it home while we were waiting on parts, and that made it a bit easier than it would have been. Agree completely; it’s a pain, but it turned out well and I’d do it again for any carbon bike. It’s already taken a couple of hits that I’m sure would have put some scratches in the frame if I hadn’t had it. Aluminum I could go either way, but I don’t think you’d regret either choice.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

If you’re set on doing a coil upgrade, the Marzocchi CR seems like a sweet spot for price and performance. It doesn’t play well with certain clevis designs (Ripmo, for instance), but it should work for the majority of coil compatible frames.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

Does anyone here have one? I'm a bit torn on sizing. They had a M AF that I rode around the parking lot of the place. It felt good standing up but felt a little cramped seatrd due to the super steep seat post. I felt like I was very upright while pedaling. I think I should probably size up and the bike shop employee agreed, but I'd like a second opinion. They didn't have a L in stock so I didn't get to try one.
I'm 5'9 with a 30" inseam. All torso and arms. Short legs. My current bike is a '17 canyon spectral in M and it fits well.

I’m 5’9” with a 31” inseam and longish arms. I ride a L Ripmo V2. Could have gone with either size, but I liked the cockpit length for pedaling and I prefer the longer reach and wheelbase for my riding style and the terrain/trails here.

I went SLX with carbon wheels, factory fork, and X2. I can fit a 185mm Revive post; I can’t remember if post length was an option or not. I would definitely specify 170mm cranks if you can.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Feb 26, 2021

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

bicievino posted:

yo, you mistyped 165mm cranks

Shortest you can get from Ibis are 170s

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend a Moab campsite that’s close to average man riding?

We would also be open to an air-b-n-b if you know of one that costs less than $400 a night.

Trail recommendations are also welcome.

Horsethief Campground is just up the road from Mag 7 and Navajo Rocks, and there are dispersed sites along the BLM road just past Horsethief. There are sites on Sand Flats road near Slickrock. Also some dispersed camping near the Sovereign trails, but it gets pretty UTV and shooty.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Just got the first print issue of Beta (formerly Bike Mag) in the mail, and

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Your feedback meshes pretty well with the few reviews I found. I’m not real excited for the fact that it’s the same frame as the next bike up (slayer?). I’m also thinking about resale down the road. Bike of the year well known Stumpjumper vs. more niche with stupid name.

It’s sounding like supply will be fubar for 2022 so I’m really leaning toward holding out. My preferred shop does Norco and Ibis, but their Ibis is special order only. I can’t imagine I can get a Ripmo in any reasonable amount of time. I’m tempted by the Norco Optic but it’s a couple of years old now and I bet the new one comes out next year.

Instinct shares a frame with the Altitude, and the reviews have been great on the Altitude. If you’d consider an Optic, there are a lot of good bikes in that travel range to look at. The Transition Spur would be at the top of my list for shorter travel trail bikes. Given that you wanted a Stumpy Evo, though, you might be happier with a Sight than an Optic.

What about the new Evil Offering? Hell, what about the Canyon Spectral? If weight isn’t the biggest factor, look at a Commencal Meta TR. Probably can’t demo those last two, but it’s 2021; you can’t demo anything now anyway.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

n8r posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for Chinese/EBay wheelsets? 30mm internal with a dt350. My LBS does a house brand wheel which I’ll consider but I’d like to have a price on an alternative option.

Assuming you mean carbon, Light Bicycle is probably the safest bet. There are a lot of good options a little bit up the price range from companies like Nobl, We Are One, Bontrager, or Reynolds. I’d rather pay a little more for QA/QC and a good warranty.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Sadi posted:

Those who've ridden Moab, I have a few questions.

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

1. The only mandatory drops that I can recall are on the fast doubletrack before the last section of singletrack. You should see them coming. They’re maybe three feet. You can’t see some the landings, but the ones on the main trail are all good. Other than that, it’s mostly rocky jank. There are mandatory tech sections (the Snotch) that are intimidating, but you’ll see them coming.

2. If conditions are good up to Burro Pass, bring a jacket. It starts with a climb, but it can be very cold up there. Hazzard County is the next stop down and can be chilly, but it also starts with a climb. Bring a lot of water.

3. The Enduro isn’t too much bike for that trail. You’ll be happy to have the wheelbase and travel when you’re going fast down the jeep road portions. The Offering or Ripmo would also be great.

Bud Manstrong fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 19, 2021

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Aphex- posted:

Does anyone have any experience with dropper posts for shorter people? My girlfriend wants to get one for her small Scott Spark but there's not much room in the frame. There's about 170mm insertion depth, and 140mm of post sticking out of the frame at the moment, and I'm just finding it hard to find one that will fit nicely and have some drop. Looking for an external one preferably. The seatpost is 31.6mm diameter as well.

If an internal dropper can fit, OneUp would be a good choice. Short insertion length and a calculator on their website to let you know exactly what size to get based on how her current post fits.

If an external dropper is the only option, look at the Fox Transfer or PNW Cascade. Those dimensions could be tough though.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Koth posted:

Did some trails with my best riding buddy today.

love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

Riding in smoke isn’t worth it. Speaking from too much experience. Good resources are PurpleAir and the US fire and smoke map.