Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Chinatown posted:

Anyone got an opinion about Polygon? Looking at their models between 2-3k. Full suspension with good components...

I give zero shits about big name brands or whatever and know how to use tools.

I’m also curious about this and all the other direct to consumer brands. Looking to get an entry level full suspension this spring and it seems like a lot of them are a good value and might be easier to actually find than bikes I could buy locally. I’ve been checking out Polygon, Marin and YT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I didn’t realize the base model for Commencal was $2299. I had it in my head they started near $3k so I hadn’t been looking at them. I’m hoping to keep it in the low 2k range if possible. I’m starting from nothing so I don’t even know enough to be picky. I just want to make sure I know all the options I should look at or avoid.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

feelix posted:

I would avoid anything without a dropper post unless you are totally sure you never want to hit jumps or drops or steep downhills. That's my only strike against the base model Meta TR

Oh wow, I completely missed that it doesn’t have a dropper post. I know they can be added, but that’s another thing to keep in mind since that’s kind of at the top of what I’m looking to spend ideally.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

If you're still here in FL there's no need for a dropper and you'll be plenty happy without it, especially starting out.

I’m not actually, I moved up to Minneapolis about a year ago. There’s a ton of moderate trails around here so I finally want to take the plunge and buy a mountain bike. I rode a few trails in FL on a friend’s bike and had a lot of fun, but didn’t feel like buying a bike just yet. Of course now that I want to bikes are super scarce. I haven’t been into any shops yet in person but most of them list their inventory online and it’s basically frames and $5k+ bikes right now. Used market seems dry up here right now too but I’m going to keep my eye on that as well.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I don't see how you get into a 1x system on that price. I think the bike will be fine. Your other option is....not having a bike in 2021 more or less. Used bikes do not seem like an option to me. they are selling for ridiculous prices.

The used market is rough here in Minneapolis too. It’s less that people are asking crazy prices and more of just that they’re not selling them at all. I’m hoping to find something between 2-3k in the next month or so before a trip I have in April that I want to do some riding on and there just aren’t bikes in that range for sale around here, used or new. I was eyeing direct to consumer brands the last couple months too and haven’t had luck there either.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Just ordered a new YT Jeffsy Core 2. Stoked to finally get a mountain bike. Supposedly it’s “in stock” we’ll see how quickly they can actually get it to me.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Nice! I've got a fairly old (2017) jeffsy now and it's been awesome.

Yeah, people seem to love them for the money, as long as nothing breaks. I guess warranty stuff can be an issue.

Now to order stuff to go tubeless and debate if I want to just go all black or get some loud rear end contrasting pedals.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I’m definitely gonna have to buy some sort of shin protection for my new bike. I’ve spent too much on leg tattoos to put holes in them.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
New bike day!

YT Jeffsy Core 2. Really excited to test this thing out on some trails with my brother next month. I've borrowed bikes over the years to ride here and there, but this is the first mountain bike I've owned.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

this poo poo annoys me to no end. local name in our scene has been running these big group events for 6 months now. some of these people already gave each other covid and got real sick. loving idiots.

loving Florida...

In actual content, can anyone recommend a bike lock for locking my bike to a tie down ring in my truck? I have a long road trip coming up in a month that I’ll be doing solo and I want a decent simple lock to lock my bike to my truck bed since I’ll almost certainly have to stop to pee at some point. It would probably also get some use on my gravel bike for short trips to the store. Basically I’m looking for something reasonably strong that would be able to loop through a tie down. I’m thinking maybe a U lock and cable might be the answer here since I don’t really need the lock strength for truck use, just something to keep someone from just yanking it off my tailgate, which the cable should do fine.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I wouldn’t do a unlock or anything too heavy, it could damage the frame on the road when you hit big bumps. I use a ski lock which is cable style. It won’t stop any type of cutter but works well to stop a grab and run which is all I need.

Yeah, if I did a U lock, I wouldn’t actually use that part of the lock on the frame when in the truck. I’d just wrap the cable through the front wheel, frame and tie down ring and then lock the ends together with the U lock. So more or less it would be a cable lock in the truck but a more secure one when out and about using the U lock properly.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I travel for work and you can add Montana, North Dakota, Wyoming, Texas, Oklahoma, and parts of Colorado to that list covid deniers

Yeah, I'm glad my work travel dialed back significantly before COVID happened.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have recommendations for a decent, moderately priced pair of biking sunglasses? None of my normal sunglasses are particularly good for riding so I want to get a pair that are better for wind and debris.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ought ten posted:

I’ve seen the tifosi sledge reviewed as a good budget option. There’s a half frame version too.

E: budget is like $75 or $80, I don’t know what your definition of moderate priced is.

Maybe $100 or so. I’m flexible on that, I just don’t want to blindly drop a ton of money on a pair if there are sort of a highly recommended good value option.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Does anyone wear some kind of shin protection on the trail? I have my legs tattooed and I'd like to avoid gouging them on my pedals if possible. Weather has been cool so I've just been wearing joggers for protection, but when it's shorts time, I'd like something to cover my shins and provide a little protection. I don't know that tall socks are enough, but I'm not looking for bulky shin pads either. I'm picturing some kind of mildly padded sock or sleeve kind of thing. Anyone ride with anything like that?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Yeah after gouging out my shin pretty bad I picked up some of these and they've been good. Seem to be exactly what you're after - a mildly padded sock.

https://www.endurasport.com/singletrack-shin-guard-sock-black/12928783.html

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'm thinking would work. Thanks!

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
If I didn’t have 200 hours of tattooing and the corresponding amount of money put into my legs, I wouldn’t really care.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
My wife is looking to get a bike to start joining me on some trails. Probably mostly bike path and gravel path type stuff, but I want to find her something that could tackle some easy singletrack. What should I be looking for on an entry level bike that could handle a variety of terrain? I’m figuring a basic hardtail with maybe a less aggressive tire that would be ok on pavement too, but I’m trying to do some research before going into some shops with her.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

About any hardtail from the last 10 years is probably fine. Probably buying used since nothing is available. How much are you looking to spend? The less, the worse selection is unfortunately.

Yeah, I have a feeling we’re gonna have to look used, but I want her to at least get a feel for some stuff in store. I haven’t talked budget with her yet, but I know she wants to keep it on the low end.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

vote_no posted:

Similarly, I found the Trek Marlin 5 to be incredibly versatile for a similar price.

Yeah, those two are on my short list for her to look at and probably close to where I think she’d be comfortable spending.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

vikingstrike posted:

As with most things in life, there are trade-offs and it depends entirely on what you want. If you want a pavement cruiser more than anything sure, but if you want to have something better for trails over the long term those features will be nice to have, especially the brakes (probably brakes, fork, and gearing most important in order). He also never said that you must have those things to have fun, but to make the purchase most worthwhile. You can have fun on a Wal-Mart bike and it will probably fall apart on your second trail ride.

Yeah, that was the order of priority in my mind. I doubt I can get her to spend the amount of money needed for a 1x drivetrain, but I definitely want to look for an air fork and hydraulic disc brakes. I did some scouring around online last night and stock is definitely low right now as expected but there are a few places with some entry level bikes out there.

Realistically, the trails she’s going to want to ride will be super mild. I don’t expect her to ever want to ride anything with a lot of fast downhill or super technical trails. More of the rolling scenic green trails. She could probably do it on a rigid bike but I think she’d be more comfortable on something with a fork suspension.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I don’t wear my ring for any actual activity. Hell, I’ve probably worn in maybe 5 times in the last year because of the pandemic and me rarely leaving the house for anything that isn’t a quick shopping run.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

No it wont. A doctor I know had to get the fire department to cut a guy's scrotum stretcher off once. They put a butter knife between metal and skin, and kept the area cool with water.

Well, that’s certainly the gnarliest thing I’ve heard this week.

On a lighter note, does anyone have a Garmin Edge 530? I got one as a gift for my birthday and I’m curious if anyone has any tips on using it before I give it a trial run this weekend.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Anyone have any recommendations for a compact presta pump? I want to pick one up to keep in my hydration bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks, that Lezyne one looks like a good option. I like the small hose idea as I borrowed one without one on the trail the other day and ended up tweaking the presta core a bit using it. I feel like there’s less risk of that with a small hose.