Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Almost done repainting my Karate Monkey. Just need one more coat and then clear. Next step is cutting some matte gold vinyl for the KM logos and what not. I was going to get some custom fox fork stickers ordered this week for a Factory 34 I picked up, but fox hosed me on that.
https://www.slikgraphics.com/shop/fork-decals-fox/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I used duplicolor metalcast purple with their metalcast base layer.
https://www.duplicolor.com/product/metalcast-anodized-automotive-paint/

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I did 1.5 cans of self etching primer with wet sanding in between coats. 1 can of metastasizing base coat. with just a little wet sanding where I dripped and a touch up spray there. About 2 cans of the purple. I still have to shoot my last coat to catch a few thin spots. And Im planning on 1 can of 2K gloss clear coat, but Im waiting on my respirator to come in (thanks rona).

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

bamhand posted:

My family is looking to do some hiking around the Pisgah region around Labor Day. Any recommendations for vacation home rentals and trails to do? Looking for places that will house about 6 people. I'm the only one that bikes out of everyone but I'm REALLY bad. What are some beginner friendly trails?

Hikes to do in the region:
Grave yard fields, add in black balsam, and sams knob or some others over there if you want more distance.
Max patch (hour drive)
Mount Mitchel (can drive to the top or hike to the top, probably hour and a half drive)
Explore green river game lands for some swimmable holes and waterfalls.
Shining rock
Mount Pisgah (short hike, most prominent peak near Pisgah)
If you want a ton of water falls in a short loop with poorly marked trails but easy trails, check out Panther Town Valley. Its also an hour drive.

Vacation home rentals may be tough due to the Rona. Im afraid I dont know of any one renting off the top of my head.

And yeah per the previous poster, Dupont is awesome for beginner skill level and fun at all skill levels. If your renting and there is a brand you want to rent, let me know and ill tell you if I know a shop that rents them in boulevard.

While you're there get beer at Sidways Farms, Oscar Blues, Up Country, and Ecusta. Eat at Square Root. If you like bike shops Hub is cool to check out though last time I was over there (last month) they weren't supper jazzed on having people in the store and they weren't serving beer.

Sadi fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 6, 2020

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Just depends on what your goals are. Brevard is really good for a cute small town with excellent access to pisgah and dupont. If you want cheaper but similar access look more towards Etowah and Hendersonville (further away but probably cheaper). If you want more shopping and city stuff, look at Asheville. Asheville will be significantly more expensive I think, and its about a 40min drive from pisgah. I dont know Rosma very well and hardly ever go that far south on 64 but it is close to Lake Jocassee which is a gem (can boat camp, and kayak or boat up to water falls that dump into the lake. super clear water). Rosman is also closer to Panther Town. That said I imagine it has less shops, restaurants, and breweries than Brevard if that matters to you.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Started cleaning my bike last week. Found one of the pivot bearings on its way to being a bushing. Week and a half later, we have new bearings and new vinyl.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
50/50 angle and cable being a bit shorter than it should be. I’ve been too lazy to order new hose.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I switched from ardents to knoby nics and thought it was an improvement, and I dont think the knoby nics are that good. If that means anything to you.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Have two rides on it now.

I miss my XT shifter and derailleur. I might have to go back to them. This NX chain slaps like a mother fucker. Also really wacky learning to ride on clipless. The tires are WTB riddlers from when I had it set up as a gravel bike, they sketch me out on chunder. Some how they have both more and less traction than I expected. Now that the bike has a 150mm fork on it, those light tires and 23mm carbon hoops feel really under gunned. I am super happy with the home cut vinyl logos though and cant wait to get the fork decals in.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I hadn’t even noticed that. Not sure what’s going on but it has not been back pedaling well, and I had backpedaled it to prop it on the rock. Think I’ll take the rear apart and see what’s causing the issue.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
It was 100% not locked out. I think maybe it was trying to hop gears when I back pedaled it. It’s been find on the stand in the garage. The chain slap has been happening for a few rides. Wrapping the chain stay in an old tube made it so I don’t care that it slaps. If it drops a chain I’ll be more concerned.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Finally got my fork decals in and dropper on. Went straight to the jump park and blew a tire off the rim.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Any one see any good tire deals this weekend? Wouldn’t mind a new set of trail 29er tires abs maybe an 11 speed chain if there’s any killer deals today.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I really want you to be talking about flats vs clips.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I've spent the morning getting myself waitlisted for the Surly Karate Monkey frameset by every bike shop on this side of my state.

I lucked into a drivetrain + wheelset that would work beautifully on this thing. I checked out the specs, checked with my LBS, and it should be 100% compatible so I'm most of the way to a bike already.

They're listing Fool's Gold and some bright green color on the site, but not black. One of the places I called said they were receiving a shipment of black in the next month or so. :shrug:

I'm much more hyped for the theoretical call than I should be, but goddamn, NBD is always exciting.

ONE OF US!
I bought mine used as a rigid black frame. Painted it, found a take off fox 34, xt 11 drive train, parts bin xt brakes, china carbon narrow rims for gravel days, and $75 WTB 27.5+ wheelset for chunkier days. You can still find tons of good deals on used stuff. You just have to be patient and fast. I picked up the XT 11 speed shifter, derailleur, chain, cable, cassette all for $200 shipped with zero miles.

Any one have shop recommendations for bike rentals around Moab? Going there for a week in late May.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
So here’s my views on new bikes, especially if you’ve had one MTB and know you like riding.
Must haves:
Air fork or quality coil fork.
Hydro brakes.
Taper fork.
Thru axles, and really boost should be a requirement.
Dropper seat post.
Nice to have:
New enough geo to be considered upgradable.
A 34mm or bigger fork (at least at my weight, 32mm forks feel really bad in rock gardens).

Opinion: if you live somewhere with rocks and roots and significant down hill, I really would shoot for a cheap FS bike over a baller hard tail. For my at least, I ride a ton more when I am on a FS bike out in Pisgah. I love my HT but for me it’s a bike to ride gravel when it’s raining and to make the more boring flat trails fun.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
Those who've ridden Moab, I have a few questions.

Will be there in early June. Considering doing as much of the whole enchilada as I can.
1. Difficulty: I live out around Pisgah and Im pretty used to jank, just not western jank. It really doesnt look awful to me but I will say Im not super comfortable with drops more than 2-3ft unless they have a clean run in.
2. Weather: Anyone have experience for late May early June conditions to expect along the elevation change?
3. Bike rental: At home I ride an evil following and a karate monkey. Considering how long and chunky it looks I figure I'm looking more at available rentals of an Offering, Spesh Enduro, Ripmo, or maybe stumpy. Any feelings if the Enduro is too much bike?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Walrusmaster posted:

I don't know who needs to hear this, but if you're thinking about going tubeless and using gorilla tape because you already have it around--don't.

I spent 3 hours cleaning tape residue off my rims. Spend the extra couple bucks and use some decent tape.

Huh. I put gorilla tape on a set of rims like 7 years ago. They’re still holding air like a champ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
A lot of the people I ride with around Pisgah within the last year or two are starting to call them clips. Cause it’s what they loving are.