Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

What's wrong with a dhf and dhr/aggressor? Always been my go to.

Im similar to this DHR II up front / Rekon in back. I'm pretty happy with that although the Rekon gets torn up *somewhat* quickly.

Pedal chat:

I switched from Black Kats to Chesters. I want to think the slightly smaller Chesters and the composite material will be a bit more forgiving when pedal striking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Bud Manstrong posted:

I rode flats in the spring and was really happy with the OneUp composites. Same price as the Chesters.

I'm really liking them so far but I haven't really hit anything yet with them.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

If anyone is using a Galaxy S8 and has noticed that their GPS is all out of whack, the AGPS reset in the Strava troubleshooting seems to have cleared it up for me.

Before:

After:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

88 mile project in Ohio

This is the Bailey's stuff in Athens right?

thatguy posted:

that ohio job

East Rim in Cuyahoga Valley National Park?

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

**I am dumb** removed.

At any rate, here is an new(?) strava feature.

h3r0n fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 24, 2020

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

Its baileys yeah I think? I'm not involved with it but I know who the PM is and I know a lot of the contractors associated with it. Its been 2 years now since they started? Is that it? think he started with ten and winnowed it down to 4 contractors maybe? But the PM is well known and spime wrangler is right, guys willing to be assholes about personal pref stuff are hard to find. I know a lot of guys who only do janky tech, low flow stuff that I hate and setting them on an eastern trail system would be bad unless the PM is willing to stay on top of it

Here is what they have going on so far: https://baileystrailsystem.org/

I'll check it for sure, but I live by Cleveland so sadly it's not exactly a day trip. Certainly good for a weekend camping trip, it's a beautiful part of the state and there are plenty of other trails down there.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

Why are there so many Ohio mtb goons??

But really, East Rim (Cuyahoga Valley National Park) is the obvious answer. It's probably the best trail in northeast Ohio.
I say that having built all of the Cleveland Metroparks mtb trails.
If you're going to do one, it's East Rim.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby.

:hfive:

A post COVID goon ride is in order!

I'm partial to Vultures Knob and the Medina systems. Rays is open early too this summer if you want to go there, but thats all indoor and would make me uncomfortable right about now.
That being said if you are short on time then East Rim is for sure the way to go for sure. Its machine cut, super fast and flowy with a touch of tech, and all the jumps can safely be cased if needed.

Hampton Hills (Summit County Metroparks) is also fun and nearby. This is a good mention for sure. West Branch too, maybe?

NE Ohio trail conditions page:
https://camba.us/wp/ride/conditions

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Hypnolobster posted:

West Branch is for sure a great option for some deeeep old-school gnarly nonsense.
I've gained a newfound love for Ohio & Erie Canal. That's the only CMP trail I didn't have anything to do with, but it's some ridiculous gnarly garbage and it's super fun. We're currently giving it some love with much-needed corridor work and some small handwork fixes.

OECR is good stuff, its one of the first trails I rode when I started. Sadly its almost a 45 minute drive for me now (from Medina) so I just head down to VK. I still need to make it out to Jakes Rocks....

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

In a couple years ya

:smith:

I know. Probably longer with the way this state is handling it.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

jamal posted:

Total for the day 73mi, 9700ft,

I wouldn't even begin to know how to get this much in one day in Ohio. Nice work.

Does anyone have any wheelset recommendations for a 'bigger' dude. I'm ~235 in riding gear and blew out another rear hub. This was the one that came with my Pivot - SUN Ringle DUROC 29 30mm - so nothing special at all. I might just get a new rear and deal with the front when that time comes.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Hubs shouldn't fail because the rider is heavier - I've never heard of it happening. Was it new? You might want to ask about warranty. If it's not new, are you overtightening the rear axle (this shouldn't really make a difference still) or maybe blasting water into the hub with a pressure washer after your rides? I'm probably only about 15lbs lighter than you in full riding gear and I've not had any issues with hubs failing in that manner. I try to regrease my hubs after each season but this is DH riding and they take a lot more abuse.

In the rare event you're running a 12x150 rear wheel I have a new DT Swiss DT350 I'm looking to sell :v

Its a few years old so I doubt there is a warranty available. No water, no overtightening, not too much abuse either its not TOO rough around me, end of season maintenance at the LBS each year too. I'll have it in on Tuesday to see whats up.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

OhsH posted:

there are trails in northwest ohio?

That's 167' of heart pounding elevation gain!

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

So, it ended up that my hub body was cracked and a new one is on the way (DT Swiss 350) and should be ready to ride early next week. I'm glad I have a backup bike.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

e.pilot posted:

If the answer isn't sweet skids I don't want to hear it.

Burn outs.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

thatguy posted:

loving 10 inches on the 8th of September come the gently caress on

Nice.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Got my bike back yesterday new rear hub and all tuned up. Now if only the 4 inches of rain we got earlier this week would drain.....

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Serviced my fork today since I was starting to see oil and grime around the top seal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVCd_SxBK4c

SUPER easy to do if you have the right tools (early xmas for me)

Now to continuously wonder if the rebound and PSI are correct (they are but I'll still wonder. Every. Ride.)

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Nothing yet, but I've only ridden it in front of the house so far. I'll hit the trails tomorrow and follow up.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Do you get a little squeek from the top of the airspring side after the service?

No squeak. I did use more Slickoleum than he did though, not a ton but a certainly visible coat on all moving parts and seals.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Anyone ever get a cross chain issue with a new chain and rear cassette? Easy fix?

The gears index nice and smooth and everything 'feels' ok - but there is a decent crunch under load. Google says its a common problem I feel I'd get a better answer here though.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Decent crunch under load when you're shifting or just pedalling normally? What components do you have? Is it possible your chain is mounted backwards (facing the wrong way)? I've never had a drivetrain that didn't complain a bit if you shifted under load but it shouldn't make any sound once you're in gear.

Pedaling normally under load.

XT cassette, KMC 11 spd chain, Raceface 32 T chainring. I *think* the fix is a new chainring as the old is / has worn with the old chain.

Like the beginning of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzqZxtW4xJk

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Has anyone used the Park IB-3 to break their chain?

Mine doesn't even come close to tightening. Operator error?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-IB-3

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure what you mean but try putting the chain link closer to the part that pushes the pin out.

spwrozek posted:

I haven't tried it but I have the Topeak 18+ and it breaks chains with ease.

Its the threading on the casting OR the threaded piece - the threads dont 'bite' thus never tightening. I'm glad I found out in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere.

#1 and #2 in this diagram:

https://www.parktool.com/parts?query=IB-3

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

I carry one of these, haven't had any issues with the chain tool. Has worked well enough that I haven't had the need yet to buy a dedicated tool.

Mine must be a bit fubar is my guess. I can wiggle the threaded piece right out of the chain tool. I emailed their customer service to see if this was a known issue and if there was a replacement threaded piece. They're just sending me a whole new one. :toot:

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

yoohoo posted:

New bike day. First impressions are insanely good, but what stands out is how well it climbs. Climbs that would have left me beat at the top on my Honzo were no problem, even without using the rear lockout. Ripping down trails is incredibly loving fun.

More pics.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

I shout "TO VALHALLA" and just shoulder people out of the way.

Real answer is I generally say something along the lines of: rider up, passing when you have the chance etc etc. Please and thank you tend to go a long way too.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Rider up is usually when you’re catching up to another rider in front with a group behind you. This might be confusing if you’re telling someone this as you’re coming up behind them.

I've mostly seen / heard it in races. I took it as a shortened "A rider is coming up on you"

TO VALHALLA it is then.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Levitate posted:

A barking dog distracted me at the top of a steep little hill and I lost my concentration and fell over into a bush (I wasn’t moving much just approaching the steep part)

Stupid dogs

This dog has the KOM and didn't want you coming anywhere near it.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

I've had a set of these for YEARS. Rock. loving. Solid.

I'm in the flats crew though - clipless just seems to hurt my knees.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

clipless on the streets, flats in the, uh, peat?

I'm ascairt to ride on the streets. Theres crazies out there.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

a gud biek

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

What about freestyle pegs on the cranks? It would (I think) provide a solid platform, but if there was a need for a quick ratchet pedal there could be issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

ought ten posted:

I dialed in the wrong torque and stupidly kept cranking on it.

I wonder what the issue is with these whackadoo wrenches.