Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Carbon has gotten a lot cheaper and more reliable to produce as well, a trend that will only continue going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

So we had gravel specific suspension forks earlier this year, now we get a "gravel dropper post"

https://bikepacking.com/news/easton-ea70-ax-gravel-dropper-post/

:v:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I love to think there's people out there riding rough enough trails on a gravel bike that they need a dropper post but their 40mm tires are ok.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First go with Maxxis tires (Ikon 2.6), feel pretty good so far.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

freddiestarfish posted:

I want this bike. What is it and how many limbs will I have to sell to afford it?

Bearclaw Beaux Jaxon.

https://bearclawbicycleco.com/beaux-jaxon-titanium-gravel-plus-bike/

Half a limb to several?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just packed my bike for TNGA. Leaving Wed and start riding Thursday.

https://bikepacking.com/routes/trans-north-georgia-tnga/

:black101:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah NC is great. Depending on now next year's Tour Divide looks I might link up the entire southern tier route which runs down the Appalachians from VA down to Alabama south of Birm.

anyways here's my loaded bike. Going with a seat pack instead of handlebar bag this time for my sleep kit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Nope mine are just worn out and stretched upward for some reason.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TNGA report

Close to 60 hours moving, 40k elevation, and about 9 hours of sleep.

I was stupidly optimistic about the route conditions given previous rider reports despite the lack of maintenance this year and the hurricane remnants going through the area the previous week. That made the jeep roads washed out and the singletrack a tree ridden mess. I was hiking about 1/4th of the first two days which killed my speed and increased my food and water needs.

Food was tight because I was trying to carry everything and not go for a resupply but I ended up needing to stop once into a rural town. Water was fine, Sawyer Flow did a great job and there was a ton of mountain streams and rivers to filter from (all crystal clear too). I had 96oz of bottles in gatorade bottles and an addition 24 oz in a mtn dew bottle I used for the filtering and in some stretches I would drink all 96 oz and drink more straight from the filter on the soda bottle.

Weather was a mix of brutal 99 degree heat and 90% humidity and perfect riding conditions. Nights never got chilly either to the point of never even needing a jacket. I got the slightest hint of rain for about 15 minutes but otherwise skies were clear. No animals, but I did see plenty of bear droppings.

At about 48 hours I stopped being able to swallow solid food which ended up being from acid reflux. I didn't feel any other symptoms but the constant exertion had worked acid up my throat and burned it raw, so when I took a bite of a bar with cinnamon in it it lit me up and I couldn't choke anything down. Tums helped a little but I had to rely on liquid calories for a while (also from my resupply).

Flats and trail runners continue to be the pro choice for bikepacking these routes. They dry out way faster and the comfort is a huge help on and off the bike. There were so many stream crossings I would have lost hours with clipless and the hiking would have murdered my calves in them as well.

Bike was a champ, 2.6 rigid was fine even though some of the singletrack got a little gnarly for me, but it was good to be forced to go slower and take safe lines instead of being risky while out there alone. Dynamo hub and AXA 70 light combo was ace, recharging my battery pack during the day and providing tons of light at night, even when slowly hiking the bike up a steep 20% grade.

I would definitely do the route again but likely not solo, hopefully the official race happens next year and it's safe to be out there, and I hope the route conditions improve before going through that again. I rode through so many spiderwebs I stopped bothering to wipe them off my face unless I saw a spider in them.

These are just some phone pics, I'll have a lot better from my film camera when I get the roll developed.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

fuuuuck

that's a really really long time to be on the bike, an insane amount of elevation, and those temps sound like they were awful at times. did you try to sleep during the heat or at night? how long were you out for in total?

interesting choice with the shoes, too. I feel like the pedaling efficiency would outweigh the other issues you'd have with wet feet, but it sounds like it worked out so you made the right call! i just wore my rigid-rear end bike shoes through all the crossings earlier this summer because everything was super wet already, but 30-40+ more hours is another game entirely.

good work and recover well!

I slept like 2-am to 5am generally, riding a lot at night until I was tired enough to actually sleep. I've been using flats and trail runners for bikepacking for two years now and love it. For routes like this, the amount of hike-a-bike is hell in clipless shoes and as mentioned, those don't dry out well. The added benefit of freedom of movement over multiple days helps ankle and knee soreness too, whereas I used to adjust bolts each day to fight off those issues.

Mostly just have a sore neck right now, legs feel great because I spent a lot of time doing kettlebell and squatting this year for these events, which made a big difference compared to previous years.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bamhand posted:

Does't almost every single scientific study say clipping in either does nothing or reduces pedal efficiency?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEaN9FKGLE

I know personally I just have better technique pedaling fast with clipless but for mtb it's never made much a difference. Definitely caused some spills when I stall out on a rock or steep punch though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

2.6 ikons are fun as hell

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Helicopter tape lasts for thousands of miles with bikepacking bags rubbing. Gets my vote.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

29x2.4/2.6 is the sweet spot for all the different tire sizes and widths and various riding types IME.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've tried a variety of hip packs and at least in hot and humid environments they are the absolute worst.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

also bags on bikes are cool. the more bags the faster you go.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Jones bars are great for touring and cruising and kinda terrifying for single track riding. Might as well have a steering wheel up there at that point lol

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

rockcity posted:

Oh wow, I completely missed that it doesn’t have a dropper post. I know they can be added, but that’s another thing to keep in mind since that’s kind of at the top of what I’m looking to spend ideally.

If you're still here in FL there's no need for a dropper and you'll be plenty happy without it, especially starting out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Haven't ridden those two but Santos, Croom, Alafia etc are all fine without one. I've ridden with and without a dropper all around central FL and never really missed it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

The perfect size for people who are going out there to ride but small enough nobody's going to rent them to just sit around for the weekend drinking in the forest.

why not both?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

27.5+ is fun if you ride sandy stuff but still want to feel nimble. 29+ is great for bikepacking but feels way too clunky for trails. 29x2.6 is a happy medium and I've really like my Maxxis Ikons in that size.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It’ll stick around as a niche thing like 650b being popular with gravel stuff I suspect.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Levitate posted:

today is officially nbd :toot:

Picking it up in 2 hours

what bike?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The best place to camp in Moab is along the river just north of town off of 279. The sites are first come first serve though so it can be a little iffy but I've had luck stopping by the day before and asking a few folks to text me when they're heading out so I can grab a spot.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

this poo poo annoys me to no end. local name in our scene has been running these big group events for 6 months now. some of these people already gave each other covid and got real sick. loving idiots.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I wouldn’t do a unlock or anything too heavy, it could damage the frame on the road when you hit big bumps. I use a ski lock which is cable style. It won’t stop any type of cutter but works well to stop a grab and run which is all I need.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

OMGVBFLOL posted:

what's the best approximation of a old rigid mountain bike in the new-bike market? a hybrid with knobbier tires? a gravel bike? aluminum frame with a steel fork and discs seems like it would be a nice way to get dirty without the cost and weight penalty of suspension

If you’re talking classic like 80s style then yeah, basically a fat gravel bike with a flat bar is going to be the closest in feel and geometry. Any number of Surly bikes would work or old 90s frames that can be found for pennies.

https://mbaction.com/whats-the-most-influential-mountain-bike-of-the-1980s/amp/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

When you're talking Specialized how is it any worse :thunk:

(I still love my 10 year old Spec Secteur)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Anyone interested in buying a Revelate Vole seatpack? I've only used it once and have since changed my setup and don't need it now. It was $150 new, looking for $100 + shipping.

It's also dropper compatible, which they no longer make.

It's this one:
https://bikepacking.com/gear/revelate-vole-review/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

All things considered I'd recommend a hardtail with better components vs a FS with lesser components for a first MTB any day. Mechanicals suck, but also a hardtail will teach you to ride trails better and keep you from developing bad habits.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

:lol: gently caress that

I tried to order some tires today at the local trek store and they said Nov estimate. I said no thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

this dropout weirds me out

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eejit posted:

Also it's June, it's gonna be fuckin hot.

Yeah this. 108 degrees last time I was there in June with blistering sun. Bring twice the water and twice the sunscreen (and apply it twice as often).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

PolishPandaBear posted:

Are there any fatter grips available? I already have ODI Rogues on my bike, and it seems like those and Oury grips are what people recommended for people with larger hands. Not sure I'd like ESI Chunkies.

I've also read about people double or triple wrapping with road bar tape. Has anyone ever tried that?

Maybe I should also try to get padded gloves...

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/collections/grips/products/mega-fat-paw-grips

These are the thickest I know of and they rule.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The Wolf Tooth is great because you can put it anywhere. It’s just big enough to hold my probiketool pump too

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just torque carbon till you hear the first crack and you know it's good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Bike-Tool-Presta-Schrader/dp/B00XLGKTY2/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=probiketool+pump&qid=1622656222&sr=8-2

this thing is amazing. Used it on every bike for 3 years with no issue. The flexible hose makes it a million times better to use than most frame pumps and puts less stress on your stem. It also feels more efficient than others.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I've seen a strap rack fail completely once (killed two bikes) and partially a second time (damaged a frame) and that's enough for me to never trust a frame that's not bolted to the roof/hitch.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/MZdMWh3.mp4

nailed it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not a SS rider myself but all of the ones I know have the same problem eventually on longer rides. Makes sense because climbing on SS puts a shitload more stress on your knees. It's honestly the #1 reason holding me back from SS.