Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

vikingstrike posted:

Mountain bikes are the best bikes. Mountain bike thread best bike thread.

What Salsa frame is this??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Where can a fella find a shimano I spec II mounting bracket for a dropper remote in the time of Covid? I had a wee bit of a crash on the weekend and the mounting piece sheared off in the fall. Impossible to find locally. As far as I can tell it's a generic lever that came on my 2018 Stumpjumper. The post itself is X-Fusion Manic,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Last year I decided that with likely the cancellation of any CX season as a result of the covid, I'd pick up mountain biking again. While I'd had a hardtail in high school, I'd long been focused on road/CX/gravel. So this was my first year doing mountain biking with any level of commitment beyond the occasional rental/demo or borrowing my friends bikes.

I have zero interest in anything resembling downhill and focused on trail/XC riding, which the interior of British Columbia is well known for. If you've ever spent time in eastern Washington or Oregon, the climate and terrain are very similar.

I picked up a used 2018 Stumpjumper in the summer and also signed up for a mountain bike race, the Merritt Crown for late September:

The Merritt Crown is a self-supported singletrack race for dirtbag mountain bikers. The course joins the four major singletrack riding areas of the Nicola Valley: Coultee Plateau, Iron Mountain, Lundbom, and Swakum Mountain. There is a time limit of 12 hour to complete the 120 km course with 3,000 vertical meters of riding.

The race is structured such that you can do a 50 km distance or 120km as a relay. There are aid stations at 30km, 50km and 85km. Anyone who hasn't reached the 85km aid station by 5:30 pm is cut off to avoid riders in the dark. This would become important later.

In terms of training, I didn't really do much beyond riding my road/gravel bike a lot and trying to get better at handling a mountain bike on technical terrain. I also only signed up for the 50km distance. I set the 85km distance as a stretch goal.

Here's a photo of me (centre, masked fellow with the black Stumpjumper) at the start of the race at 7:30 am:

Early on in the race I had a slow speed crash that was a result of my own impatience waiting to pass another rider. The result was that I broke my shifter at about 25km. I was super angry at myself for making such a dumb mistake so early on. But I borrowed a zap strap from my friend to kludge it back together:

My friend also crashed soon after. He was pretty shaken as it was a pretty scary crash and he could've been seriously injured given the speed he was traveling at. We lost 20 minutes putting his bike back together - his tubeless blew and he needed to put a tube in.

Later on I crashed again as a result of a pedal strike - yes, I'm pretty okay at bikes. I was unscathed but I broke my dropper lever. I found more zap straps at the 30km aid station:

Three crashes between the two of us before the 30km aid station. Things were looking up!!!

We both made it to 50km without further issue but friend was done there. Between the scary crash he had, problems keeping up his energy and a close encounters with a momma bear and her cubs, he was done. He was happy with that result as he never saw himself going to 85km.

I was feeling really fresh at this point and I'd actually made decent time in spite of the mechanical setbacks and crashes. I no longer had a dropper post (somewhere around 35km the lever just fell off). But this wasn't really a big deal as the terrain was mostly XC or Trail. But the limited shifting was definitely slowing me down.

Between 50 and 85km I lost more time as a result of navigation issues. I'd exported the trail forks route to strava because... reasons and inexperience. This was a mistake and I found the routing to be super lovely. There were a number of total wrong turns, circles or my garmin trying to send me over impossible terrain. I later learned this is not uncommon issue when exporting from trail forks to strava. I also learned that turning on audible navigation alerts is really important. See for example the below from my strava route. The correct route should loop back along the road, not across a river, two streams and someone's gated private property (not that I didn't try):

I managed to hit the last aid station before the 5:30pm cut off. After some encouragement from the race organizers ('you've got plenty of time!) I decided to keep pushing.

The last 1/4 of the route was actually pretty tame. Long climb followed by winding single track along a hillside, However, I ran out of daylight and had to walk off the course at 110km. At the time, this was immensely disappointing to me as I was pretty close to the finish but it was pretty much dark at this point and I was over the 12 hour limit anyways.

That said, I had a huge amount of fun. Beyond the incredible terrain, scenery I really enjoyed myself and with the benefit of time, feel okay about the result given my level of experience, lack of preparation and look forward to trying again this year.

The race for 2021 is scheduled for June, assuming that regional travel restrictions are lifted by then, which seems likely. They had postponed the race once last year so it's entirely possible that will happen again depending upon how the vaccine rollout/case load goes over the coming months.

Myself and a friend are once again registered and I would encourage others to do the same, assuming travel is permitted by then. Not sure about the US/Can border being open though. :canada:

So, takeaways:
- don't use strava, use trailforks for more reliable routing - this cost me dearly.
- turn on audible alerts on the garmin to hear when off course (again, this cost me dearly)
- bring zap straps, just in case
- do some sort of pre hydration mix to ensure I keep fuelled. I managed okay on this front and arguably brought too much of the wrong things.
- pack less solid food - I was carrying a ton of RX bars but rarely needed them as the aid stations had good fresh fruit, gels etc. Also, bars suck to eat. No matter what kind they are.
- prioritize honey stinger waffles as these are the best and only food one should carry

Bottom line: get better at mountain biking and do some sort of structured training program. Riding 120km on gravel/road is not at all comparable to the same distance on a mountain bike. I regularly do metric centuries on road/gravel but could barely turn the pedals for the last major climb. I am seeking guidance here - I currently just mess around on Zwift and have a decent FTP but have heard good things about trainer road.

For those curious, Trailforks route here: https://www.trailforks.com/event/4435/?activitytype=1&z=11.7&lat=50.12206&lon=-120.75202

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Nice job. Looks like you had decent fun.

One tip. You don't need to crank down your brake, shifter, and dropper levers. You can make them tight but still movable by hand. If you crash they usually just rotate instead of breaking off.

Ah ah. Thank you. I’ll make that adjustment. Getting replacement parts is a chore right now so hoping to avoid tracking down another I-spec II shifter.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I was down with that until I saw this

I can't do that kind of ride. It's also funny/crazy to me that all the aid stations are ~600-1000m climb up from the bottom.

You guys are beautiful madmen.

Mexecan let me know if you plan on riding Whistler/Vancouver at all.

Elevation: it’s a struggle to be sure. I’m going to focus on doing some sort of structured training this time. Road/gravel is great for baseline fitness but that only takes you so far, as I discovered.

I just moved from Vancouver to the island because I’ll be working remote for the foreseeable future. No idea if/when I’ll be back. Friends just bought in Squamish though so I’ll probably head there in the spring/summer if travel restrictions are eased by then..

Strava profile here: https://www.strava.com/athletes/363600

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

yoohoo posted:

Anybody in the Portland area know how the riding is? I just moved here in the fall from NYC so I'm sure it's going to be better, but I haven't had a chance to check out the trails since moving.

in addition to the above suggestions, if you're at all into gravel check out http://www.omtm.cc. They also have a very active google group with trail reports etc. Really wish we had something similar in BC.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

n8r posted:

In Washington if you are there August-September look at angels staircase. It’s just west of the town of methow.

Saved this for future reference. Cannot wait until the 🇨🇦🇺🇸 border is open again and we’re on the other side of this. Love that region and I’ve done plenty of hiking around Methow/Twisp but would love to do some MTB or gravel riding in the area. Everyone focuses on the coast but there is so much to see/do in eastern Washington.

And I miss Trader Joe’s. 😞

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Bike update. Selling the Specializef Stumpjumper Alloy (2018). Too much bike for me and the used market for anything trail oriented is kinda crazy right now.

LBS has a Ripley AF In stock. Thoughts on the IBIS S35 aluminum wheels that come standard in the build? I believe they’re the same wheels as the Ripmo AF?

I have a set of Hunt Trail Wide wheels on order. A bit narrower internal width compared to the IBIS S35.

My focus of riding is definitely on the XC/down country/trail side of the spectrum, which is why I’m selling the Stumpy.

Thoughts? Keep the S35 hoops? Or sell them and keep the Hunt’s I currently have on order?

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
Re: Previous folks waiting for Ripley AFs. I grabbed one at the start of April. I’ve since put about 250km on it.

Overall, I’m really happy with the bike and it’s a great value. I came from a 2018 Stumpjumper and wanted something a bit more efficient and more XC/light trail/downcountry/whatever-is-your-preferred-nomenclature oriented. This bike does that for me.

A few things of note:

- mine came with SLX cranks rather than the Deore spec indicated on the Ibis site. Small but welcome surprise.

- Similarly, it came with a DHF/DHR tire setup, instead of Assegai’s, which works well for me.

- OEM dropper lever is garbage. First thing to go. I replaced it with a oneup lever and it’s a major improvement. I also found that the cable itself was pretty short. I’ve talked to other tall riders with L/XL Ibis bikes and they had the same issue.

- brakes are not so good. As noted, I’m tall and ~200 lbs. I find the 2 piston Deore brakes do not hold up well on anything steep and lengthy. Someone lighter and better at brake modulation might be okay with them.

I’m reading about replacement pads for the stock resin pads it came with. Apparently Deore 6100 is resin pad compatible only though? Thoughts? What causes the limitation here?

Ableism can get hosed. TY.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Levitate posted:

I don't think that it's the caliper that's resin pad only, it's the rotor's that are marked as "recommended".

however if you keep looking down the sheet there is:

Recommended disc brake rotor SM-RT54* SM-RT56* SM-RT64 SM-RT66

There’s my problem. I have the RT66 so will be fine. Thanks.

And the people at my LBS shall never again be trusted.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

numptyboy posted:

BTW - does anyone have opinions on Assegai comared to minion DHF as a front tyre (on an enduro bike)- currently running minion DD WT 2.5 and the side knobbys are on the way out, so im thinking of replacing it. Ive been quite happy the past 3 years running minion DHF/DHR2 combo, but amlooking for options or other recomanded combos worth considering. Conditions i ride in are mixed(dry, wet, mud, rock, roots) so i dont think the maxxis semi slick options will be useful.

This is a great resource if you’re looking for Maxxis combos:

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/maxxis-tires-simplified-the-best-mtb-tire-combos-for-your-bike-video

I’m running DHF/DHR now as well. I’m looking for something a bit faster rolling for the dryer summer weather so will be switching to DHR/Rekon.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Voodoofly posted:

Was able to get a nice ride in with a buddy yesterday. Not pictured is all my rain gear in my backpack because we swore it would rain the entire ride when we left at dawn.

Fisherman’s? Nice.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Car Hater posted:

Provincial, this is West Canadia then? So I should not try to make it to Whistler this year? :(

Traveling between health authorities isn’t permitted until May 25th in BC. That’s likely to be extended but I’m hoping things open up again for July/August. Some folks are suggesting that we somehow shut down the border with Alberta but I don’t see that as feasible.

It’s also been a really dry spring so I’m definitely worried what our summer is going to look like.

I don’t see the border with America opening anytime soon but we shall see.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

mashed_penguin posted:

..people fishing the latches through the weatherstrip.

That's insane and bike theft in the region is indeed hosed.

Been in Kamloops for the last few days riding. Pretty ideal spring riding conditions before things dry out and fire season.

Doing the Merritt Crown (120km, 3k m of elevation, less than 12 hours) is tomorrow. We'll see how that goes.

For folks elsewhere in the Province, there are a bunch of local routes that have been plotted: Vancouver Island, Vancouver etc. Details on their eventbrite page and elsewhere. Can be done anytime between tomorrow and July 4.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006
What are folks’ views on a solid mid travel bike? I’m considering moving from my short travel 29’er to something with a bit more suspension.

I’ve been riding an Ibis Ripley AF for the last two seasons. It’s a great bike for smooth single track but do feel very much underbiked with 120mm on some of the local trails, which trend towards rooty and rocky PNW jank.

I’d previously considered the Hightower but it looks as though Santa Cruz has not yet realized an aluminum version, which is my preference for cost and durability reasons.

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

mexecan posted:

What are folks’ views on a solid mid travel bike? I’m considering moving from my short travel 29’er to something with a bit more suspension.

I’ve been riding an Ibis Ripley AF for the last two seasons. It’s a great bike for smooth single track but do feel very much underbiked with 120mm on some of the local trails, which trend towards rooty and rocky PNW jank.

I’d previously considered the Hightower but it looks as though Santa Cruz has not yet realized an aluminum version, which is my preference for cost and durability reasons.

Life update. Bought a Forbidden Druid and life is grand. Forbidden had a season end sale which made it an easy decision for me. At first I thought the high pivot design was truly hideous but it's growing on me. Arguably a nicer bike than I need but YOLO and it's a Vancouver Island company so happy to support them.

https://www.forbiddenbike.com/products/druid-xt-complete

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

The druid is awesome and rips way harder than a 130mm travel bike has any right to; I spent a bit of time on a dreadnought as well this summer and it was like riding a cloud, high pivot is so neat. They've got a prototype DH bike that was running around at WC this summer, excited to see that when it comes out.

Edit: did you mullet it?

Negative but possibly in the future? I'm eyeballing some We Are Ones for the spring.

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Serious question, with a high-pivot bike like that, do you have to be cognizant (no pun intended there) of clothing items being pulled into and/or mangled by the chain action more than on any 'regular' bike? Looks sweet!

I don't think so? But most of my mountain bike gear is pretty fitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mexecan
Jul 10, 2006

Suburban Dad posted:

Echoing this because I bought twice and ended up with a 1up in the end.

Thirding this. Get the 1UP.