Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I've got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FFT0D0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And on the low setting, it's enough for me. Pretty cool in my basement though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Zwift chat. While I'm happy with doing 45 Power Zone Endurance rides on my wife's Peloton, I'm getting some peer pressure to join folks on Zwift.

Can I just toss the Garmin Vector 3 pedals I already own on the Peloton (normal Bike, not Bike+) and use my 9th Gen iPad (2021)? Is that a decent setup? I ordered a holder so I can hang the iPad over the Peloton screen.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Cat rear end Trophy posted:

I tend to do workouts with erg mode off. There is an option for that. I have found that all of the constant micro-adjusts that take place during erg mode just mess me up.

Doesn't this leave you flailing for the right gear to get your cadence and power every time? I think that would annoy me more on shorter intervals than waiting for the ERG to stabilise.

dema posted:

Zwift chat. While I'm happy with doing 45 Power Zone Endurance rides on my wife's Peloton, I'm getting some peer pressure to join folks on Zwift.

Can I just toss the Garmin Vector 3 pedals I already own on the Peloton (normal Bike, not Bike+) and use my 9th Gen iPad (2021)? Is that a decent setup? I ordered a holder so I can hang the iPad over the Peloton screen.

That'll get you power readings, but there's no good way to have Zwift automatically control the difficulty of your Peleton. The Shift Smart Trainer was supposed to solve that but doesn't seem to really exist yet.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Yeep posted:

Doesn't this leave you flailing for the right gear to get your cadence and power every time? I think that would annoy me more on shorter intervals than waiting for the ERG to stabilise.
I used a fluid trainer with a power meter for a couple years before I finally got an H3. It's actually not hard at all. You get really used to using the first 10 seconds of the first interval sorting out the right gear/cadence and every interval after that you just flip right to that point with zero thought. For trainerroad, at least, the workouts with diagonal lines and to a lesser extant the ramp test could get a bit annoying.

As for my previous predicament, I'm not gonna spring for yet another fan just yet. More so because I'm not going to be in this attic forever and in the next room maybe the three fans will be sufficient again. I'll grab a blower next time if I do make another fan purchase. I did, however, want to stop sweat from soaking through the dumb sweat guard thingy. So I grabbed a remnant of some canvas that has a waterproof backing on it. I cut that to shape and put it on the back of the sweat guard. I also had some spare 3M clear guard whatever stuff laying around. So I cut a piece off of that and put it on the back of the canvas just to make sure nothing soaked through from a capillary effect. That should do the trick. Maybe. I hope. All of this will become less and less of an issue with the passage of time, however, because as the temps get cooler/dryer outside the window fan is going to flex its muscles more and more to help keep the ambient temps under control.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Yeep posted:

Do pitch changes outdoors leave you flailing for the right gear/cadence/power?

You get familiar with the resistance unit of your trainer (or outdoor terrain), the gearing you have, etc.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeep posted:

That'll get you power readings, but there's no good way to have Zwift automatically control the difficulty of your Peleton. The Shift Smart Trainer was supposed to solve that but doesn't seem to really exist yet.

I gave it a try with my power meter pedals and don't think Zwift is a good fit for me. Just need to build base this winter. Don't need or want the intensity that will come with group rides or virtual races.

Planning on being a real life crit bro next year.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

Do pitch changes outdoors leave you flailing for the right gear/cadence/power?

You get familiar with the resistance unit of your trainer (or outdoor terrain), the gearing you have, etc.

No, but Zwift workouts ask me to hold an arbitrary % of my FTP at an arbitrary cadence which doesn't necessarily line up with what I'd be doing on any real terrain.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Yeep posted:

No, but Zwift workouts ask me to hold an arbitrary % of my FTP at an arbitrary cadence which doesn't necessarily line up with what I'd be doing on any real terrain.
Pretty sure that is erg mode (default for workouts). Try it in normal.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

dema posted:

I gave it a try with my power meter pedals and don't think Zwift is a good fit for me. Just need to build base this winter. Don't need or want the intensity that will come with group rides or virtual races.

There’s a lot of intensity in crits outside too, just a little

case
Mar 27, 2005

dema posted:

Similar to my off-season aims. Zwift really wasn't what I was looking for either.

The setup that works for me is wahoo systm with a tacx flow in ERG mode. All the extra sensors connect fine, cadence, hr etc.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

There’s a lot of intensity in crits outside too, just a little

Just a little! But those aren't starting until like April.

What I was getting at, was that it would be counter productive to work on that sort of intensity right now. I for sure can't maintain it year around. Focused on building my zone 2 now.

Once it's spring, I'll be out doing group rides and mountain bike rides. Will naturally get plenty of that high intensity work.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Zwift has a bit of everything. Riding with pace partners is like a big social group ride without any intensity.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
My phone just hit four years old this month. The trainer road scars are really starting to be noticable on the screen.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Yeep posted:

I used rollers with a fan as my indoor trainer for a few years, and the reality is that for structured intervals, and especially on shorter intervals, it's way better than erg mode.
After like 5 minutes you're gonna know what gear combination works for the interval intensity you're doing, and if you're not doing an idiotically complex workout, it's easy to remember what's what.

For folks who need 40 different workout structures that are all the same thing slightly differently because they get bored, yeah, maybe stick with erg mode.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
What lag do you all normally get between the gradient you see in Zwift and the trainer increasing the resistance? I'm using an ANT+ dongle on the end of a usb cable to connect to the H3 and it seems to be around a second for me. Not so long but enough that it's distracting and makes it hard to estimate how hard to push over small sharp hills.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Heliosicle posted:

What lag do you all normally get between the gradient you see in Zwift and the trainer increasing the resistance? I'm using an ANT+ dongle on the end of a usb cable to connect to the H3 and it seems to be around a second for me. Not so long but enough that it's distracting and makes it hard to estimate how hard to push over small sharp hills.
I guess a couple of seconds, when I am lined up for a race on Zwift I have to start peddling a couple of seconds before the start or I am just left behind. Also my trainer takes a second for the resistance mechanism to adjust.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
more or less instantaneous on the SB20

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have just started on Zwift and indoor training. I was formerly OK at cycling but I've gone slightly blind in one eye so decided to try to get back to fitness indoors first. Just working my way through the zwift back to fitness program and its hard enough as it is.

Hoping to get my ftp back over 200 by end of the year.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty blind in one eye. Depending on how old you are and how much you try, you might be able to get comfortable with bike riding again. Most of the visual cues for bike riding aren't in the telescopic 3d range. Sorry it happened tho.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I did my first "100k" on Zwift last weekend. It sucked about as much as I expected.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
https://content-cdn.zwift.com/uploads/2022/12/ZwiftPerformanceVerificationDecision-2022-02-Hoole.pdf

Lol.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

quote:

their typical training load amounts to around 3 hours a week of low intensity cycling on Zwift.

Riders who exclusively do C bot Tempus Fugit are mad as hell

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
At least he didn't unlock the Tron bike, or his ban would be twice as long

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Vando posted:

At least he didn't unlock the Tron bike, or his ban would be twice as long

The inconsistency is so ridiculous.

Not that the idea that, in serious competitive racing, the bike performance isn’t automatically made identical for everyone is remotely sane anyway.

Waiting for the lifetime e-sports ban for reading gamefaqs next.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

I'm pretty blind in one eye. Depending on how old you are and how much you try, you might be able to get comfortable with bike riding again. Most of the visual cues for bike riding aren't in the telescopic 3d range. Sorry it happened tho.

I'm sure I will get back out there, just whilst it's pretty new to me.i don't want to push it. Also it's - 10c and snowing here just now so I probably wouldn't be out even if I could see.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

You have unlocked the Trek Emonda. One of the lightest bikes on the planet is now yours.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh woah, is this the winter thread?

Just bought a used Kickr Bike a few weeks back and I'm on week 2 of my TrainerRoad/Zwift journey after several years of Peloton/Powerzone rides. I love this thing.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=3329765

See u there

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Race report. My soul left my body at 150km.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 19, 2022

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Sphyre posted:

You have unlocked the Trek Emonda. One of the lightest bikes on the planet is now yours.

Congrats! I just finished part 1 as well yesterday.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Any tips on how to get Zwift iPhone to log workouts in Apple Health? I paired my Apple Watch for heartrate stuff and thought that would be enough, but it doesn't save anything to Apple Health. I think I might be able to export from a logged Strava workout to Apple Health(?), but that seems kind of roundabout.

Googling this just has people talking about the companion app, which seems unnecessary if I'm using Zwift on iPhone in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong and need to install that, though? Seems weird.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

abraham linksys posted:

Any tips on how to get Zwift iPhone to log workouts in Apple Health? I paired my Apple Watch for heartrate stuff and thought that would be enough, but it doesn't save anything to Apple Health. I think I might be able to export from a logged Strava workout to Apple Health(?), but that seems kind of roundabout.

Googling this just has people talking about the companion app, which seems unnecessary if I'm using Zwift on iPhone in the first place. Maybe I'm wrong and need to install that, though? Seems weird.

If you go to your iPhone’s settings, then Health, then “Data Access and Devices,” are the options for data sharing from Zwift ticked?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got the cheap Tacx rollers. Antares. Really like them. Best $160 I've spent recently.

Bought them for active recovery, skills work and warming up for races. But, I'm able to do tempo intervals on them. Finding that 50x11, 100 cadence is ~250w.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Oh woah, is this the winter thread?

Just bought a used Kickr Bike a few weeks back and I'm on week 2 of my TrainerRoad/Zwift journey after several years of Peloton/Powerzone rides. I love this thing.

I think this is my eventual path when peloton keeps raising prices. I only do the cycling stuff, anyway. It would be great if I could a la carte cycling and stretching and that's it.

e:
Currently doing absolutely nothing as I'm getting over covid and I would probably die trying to do any kind of ride, even low impact.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dreesemonkey posted:

I think this is my eventual path when peloton keeps raising prices. I only do the cycling stuff, anyway. It would be great if I could a la carte cycling and stretching and that's it.

e:
Currently doing absolutely nothing as I'm getting over covid and I would probably die trying to do any kind of ride, even low impact.

Honestly, I loving love it. I haven't used the Peloton since getting the Kickr. All I ever did on Peloton was the powerzone workouts, and Trainerroad is just a better way of doing them.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

SRAM Xplr mostly works with the Saris H3 (once you swap the freehub to an xdr one). The three caveats are that:
1. With the derailleur in the lowest gear the cage contacts or almost contacts the trainer, so I think that's unusable.
2. I had to file down the standard thru axle spacer on the drive side by 1mm. The spacing between the cassette and the edge of the DTSwiss body on my wheels is 4.6mm. On the H3 it was 5.6mm. I reduced it by about 0.8mm or so. Still a bit to go as there's a 4 step difference between the optimal micro adjust point with the wheels on Vs the H3 (versus 15 when I first put it on the trainer).
3. Its still quite noisy with my rival 10-36 cassette, even after optimising the B-gap and using the micro adjust.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/free-use-mywhoosh-now-rival-zwift-298579

Anyone try this? I'm not a fan of ads, but zwift is kind of crappy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

SRAM Xplr mostly works with the Saris H3 (once you swap the freehub to an xdr one). The three caveats are that:
1. With the derailleur in the lowest gear the cage contacts or almost contacts the trainer, so I think that's unusable.
2. I had to file down the standard thru axle spacer on the drive side by 1mm. The spacing between the cassette and the edge of the DTSwiss body on my wheels is 4.6mm. On the H3 it was 5.6mm. I reduced it by about 0.8mm or so. Still a bit to go as there's a 4 step difference between the optimal micro adjust point with the wheels on Vs the H3 (versus 15 when I first put it on the trainer).
3. Its still quite noisy with my rival 10-36 cassette, even after optimising the B-gap and using the micro adjust.

I am begging you to clean that drivetrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I am begging you to clean that drivetrain

Already completely cleaned it all. I took that immediately after I put (too much) wet lube on in the middle of a ride.

Should've taken another picture before posting, no one needed to see that filth.