Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

I Am Not Spor posted:

Kinda surprised I never thought of a blower. I know the newer models are crazy good at moving air, at least the industrial ones. Not sure my partner would approve of my spending $100+ on a fan right now though. $50 bar tape and a $60 GPS/camera mount? Sure, of course.

You can get a Lasko model off Amazon for about $50 fwiw.

Lasko U12104 High Velocity Pro Pivoting Utility Fan for Cooling, Ventilating, Exhausting and Drying at Home, Job Site and Work Shop, Black 12104 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKXF9VC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FEQVV56D8QRVY0H24TWE

You can spend a little more to get ones that push more air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Development
Jun 2, 2016

I have the blower that vikingstrike linked and omg, I need to wear a jacket until I get warmed up. at full blast, I am probably 10 bpm lower with the blower on + vornado vs. just vornado.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with
I'll definitely have to consider that. We're really limited on space in our apartment, so if I bought that, the Vornado would have to go.

e: few reviews about using it for indoor training

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 5, 2021

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
+1 the blower. I have one blower and two Vornadoes running on full blast from the front and the sides during my workouts. The blower has the most impact in my setup, enough that I am seriously considering swapping out one of the Vornadoes for another blower for summertime. I live in Socal. These blowers move an absurd amount of air.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Does anyone know if garmin watches that have suggested workouts and support FEC will actually control the trainer in accordance the proposed workout if you opt to do it? I usually ignore the suggested workouts when I'm running, but I wouldn't mind using some of the cycling ones if it means I don't have to fiddle with goldencheetah as much.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Dren posted:

My kickr core has stopped reporting power, cadence, and speed. Seems like the ESD issue. https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/wahoo-ceo-details-fixes-for-issues-surrounding-kickr-2018-kickr-core.html

I put in a ticket with wahoo support :(

Resolution to this was that out of warranty it’s a $250 replacement + $40 shipping + $650 deposit (refunded when you ship the old unit back). The standard warranty period on a new kickr is 1 year. The replacement unit comes with a 120 day warranty. I got a replacement and it works.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
How much will it cost to ship back to them? Can't be cheap..

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

How much will it cost to ship back to them? Can't be cheap..

That’s included in the $40 shipping fee. They send you a label. The replacement unit only has the kickr core. No AC adapter, no QR. You box yours up in the box they sent you and send it back.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ah nice, well that's not horrible then I guess.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Please enter the bike smiley contest!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964819

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Is there any reason to not just cancel my membership vs pause it. I don’t plan on riding inside until fall.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

n8r posted:

Is there any reason to not just cancel my membership vs pause it. I don’t plan on riding inside until fall.

For what-Zwift? No different that I’m aware of. You keep everything when you cancel. You only lose it if you delete the account. I always cancel because I don’t want to forget I’m signed back up and get charged if I’m not using it.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Is there any consensus on what the intervals and increments for a FTP step test should be? The last time I did one, I did it with the tacx app, but they've removed the step test from the app. Everything else has anything between 1-2.5 minute intervals with 15-25w increments. I just want to get some idea of where I'm at since it's been months since I've done one, but I don't want to do a full 20 minutes of all-out effort

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

Is there any consensus on what the intervals and increments for a FTP step test should be? The last time I did one, I did it with the tacx app, but they've removed the step test from the app. Everything else has anything between 1-2.5 minute intervals with 15-25w increments. I just want to get some idea of where I'm at since it's been months since I've done one, but I don't want to do a full 20 minutes of all-out effort

TrainerRoad is this:
- 5 mins @ 46% of current/estimated FTP
- 1 min step up of 6%
- Repeat x infinity, reaching 100% of FTP at 13:00
- Reach current break even point (Best 1 min power x .75) at 19:30

Historically I’ve always popped in the 20 or 21 minute block, and only the last few minutes were really tough.

E: I always have a bunch of trial codes if you or anyone else wants one

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 16, 2021

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

TrainerRoad is this:
- 5 mins @ 46% of current/estimated FTP
- 1 min step up of 6%
- Repeat x infinity, reaching 100% of FTP at 13:00
- Reach current break even point (Best 1 min power x .75) at 19:30

Historically I’ve always popped in the 20 or 21 minute block, and only the last few minutes were really tough.

E: I always have a bunch of trial codes if you or anyone else wants one

I ended up finding this elsewhere and plugged it in to GC, except I started a bit higher since 46% is basically as hard as walking for me. Ended up stopping around the equivalent to 20.5 minutes with a 46% start. Honestly better than I expected since the only cycling I've done in the last 8 months were in the last 3 weeks. Number can only go up from here right :v:

I'm trying to not get into any subscription platforms since this is more of cross-training for me. Running is my main focus right now, but cycling is pretty convenient for a change of pace or if I forget to go out and don't want to run in the dark. I still have the zwift code that came with my trainer for this reason.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

gwrtheyrn posted:

I ended up finding this elsewhere and plugged it in to GC, except I started a bit higher since 46% is basically as hard as walking for me. Ended up stopping around the equivalent to 20.5 minutes with a 46% start. Honestly better than I expected since the only cycling I've done in the last 8 months were in the last 3 weeks. Number can only go up from here right :v:

I'm trying to not get into any subscription platforms since this is more of cross-training for me. Running is my main focus right now, but cycling is pretty convenient for a change of pace or if I forget to go out and don't want to run in the dark. I still have the zwift code that came with my trainer for this reason.

Yeah, 46% is easy. The goal is something you can replicate to determine progress. Starting off higher just means you have less time doing work so you could potentially test higher than otherwise. If I started my ramps at 75% I’d probably be able to go to higher wattages but it’s not going to give me something realistic for training.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

gwrtheyrn posted:

If you don't want to get into a subscription the Grand theft Auto bike mod might be of interest. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cy...auto-456625/amp

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, 46% is easy. The goal is something you can replicate to determine progress. Starting off higher just means you have less time doing work so you could potentially test higher than otherwise. If I started my ramps at 75% I’d probably be able to go to higher wattages but it’s not going to give me something realistic for training.

I doubt it changes much. Like 46 percent for me is like 70 watts. Its not even really much of a warm up-- that's like 250 cal an hour which is less than what I do walking and my hr reflects that. If anything it should make you test worse since you spend extra time at higher effort, but not really since your starting effort is theoretically something you can do basically indefinitely.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Worse in lower number, but maybe better number for tuning workouts. If all you want to see is number go up then pick a duration and train for it.

FTP tests mean nothing outside of setting numbers for workouts based on zones. And bragging online.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

If you've already got a good sense of the right number for you, then I strongly endorse using "progression 2" described in this protocol:
https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/the-physiology-of-ftp-and-new-testing-protocols/

It's very satisfying.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Haha I missed this ZwiftPower update:

https://forums.zwift.com/t/community-welfare-and-anti-harassment-update-april-2021/545196

quote:

First, beginning next week, we will no longer publicly display Zwifter weight and height in ZwiftPower, Zwift Companion, nor on Zwift.com. Weight and height will continue to be an input requirement for the game but will no longer be displayed publicly in order to deter weight or height related harassment.

Yes, making it impossible to see someone's height and weight is definitely good for transparency when the easiest way to cheat is to...change your height and weight.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Haha I missed this ZwiftPower update:

https://forums.zwift.com/t/community-welfare-and-anti-harassment-update-april-2021/545196

Yes, making it impossible to see someone's height and weight is definitely good for transparency when the easiest way to cheat is to...change your height and weight.

It's about triggering eating disorders and body image issues rather than transparency/cheating. Anyone can change their weight convincingly over time to look like real weight loss.

My problem with this is that it that we have no proof that there is anything to gain by doing this. It also prevents me from discovering/identifying teammates/friends who might actually be developing eating disorders.

Besides if they get rid of weight, they need to get rid of w/kg too...not just on ZwiftPower but in the rider list in the game.

Also this:
https://twitter.com/TobinHatesYou/status/1382936895798222848?s=20

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 18, 2021

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
W/kg in game is fine because there's no way to know what power that corresponds to, so the weight isn't easily derivable.

ZwiftPower on the other hand is more difficult because you have the raw power figures alongside the W/kg in the results, and I'm not sure how you can effectively hide either of those without losing a bunch of data.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Vando posted:

W/kg in game is fine because there's no way to know what power that corresponds to, so the weight isn't easily derivable.

ZwiftPower on the other hand is more difficult because you have the raw power figures alongside the W/kg in the results, and I'm not sure how you can effectively hide either of those without losing a bunch of data.

You can "fan view" other riders and see their power and w/kg.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Didn't know about that feature, maybe they can lock the numbers on that behind a privacy wall?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s just another half baked idea that they rushed to implement. You can still see power and w/kg on other riders as mentioned. If it’s truly a concern about triggers for people they still have you enter a weight, you still see pizza slices, your avatar size is dependent on your weight, etc.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
When are they gonna take harassment seriously?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Remember when people were complaining that Strava didn't have a messaging system and the company came back with, "This will absolutely never be implemented because it will 100% be abused. Please stop asking." Good times.

Question about tr. I think I'm done with trainers for a couple months or so. Do I lose anything on my account if I cancel it and rejoin again later?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

Remember when people were complaining that Strava didn't have a messaging system and the company came back with, "This will absolutely never be implemented because it will 100% be abused. Please stop asking." Good times.

Question about tr. I think I'm done with trainers for a couple months or so. Do I lose anything on my account if I cancel it and rejoin again later?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Private messages as opposed to public comments.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I know, but imagine what you’d get in a PM when people are already posting stuff like that publicly.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’d be okay with DMs on Strava if it only worked if you both mutually followed each other. It’d actually be kinda nice to set up and plan rides tbh.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It sucks how there's no other way to send text-based messages to contacts on our Strava devices.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did a tour of watopia ride yesterday with a guy who dropped 31kg from his race last week to be more competitive on a hillier course. Somehow Zwiftpower didn’t catch it. I did narc him out to his team though. Cheating on a group ride? Probably cheats in actual races.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I didn’t realize until I read this thread that sharing an account with my wife and just changing the weight was probably driving other people crazy

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I've been spraying things down with some water and wiping it off with a towel after my workouts. Saw a Muc-Off product specifically for post-workout wipedowns and it got me wondering if I should be putting something else in my water to help. Vinegar or something maybe? Anyone have any thoughts on that?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your personal bike? Make sure it's dry, leave your fan running. Make sure there is grease on moving parts. I guess I'm still not working hard enough that I'm soaking the thing.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Crumps Brother posted:

I've been spraying things down with some water and wiping it off with a towel after my workouts. Saw a Muc-Off product specifically for post-workout wipedowns and it got me wondering if I should be putting something else in my water to help. Vinegar or something maybe? Anyone have any thoughts on that?
I always cover my handlebars and stem with a towel to stop sweat corroding the headset, stem etc.
With carbon you are pretty safe but any steel or aluminium components are at risk from the salt in your sweat. If it's a dedicated trainer bike I would recommend carbon or a old set of cheap steel bars. And maybe remove the bar tape.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Spray+wipe Boeshield T-9 or Muc-Off Sweat Protect on every surface of your bike other than the braking surfaces and drivetrain. Once a month or so...depends on how much you ride indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Sounds like my water wipe down is perfectly adequate for now. Good to know. In other news, the wife and I have been doing some housework before the baby gets here and I finally had cause to buy a jigsaw. So of course I immediately went on Amazon and bought a sketchy chinese set of massage attachments. Absolute A+ purchase so far. Percussive recovery is great.